Summer Transfer Window

Sweeper07

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

He started out as a left back but since I haven't seen him recently I do not know if he moved a bit further forward.  He was in the Championship team of the year in 13-14 then had two good seasons at Dundee where he played regularly and was highly rated then moved to Chesterfield then PT. Maybe not as good as his brothers but an experienced pro who has an affection for the Club. I think Stephen surpassed most Buddies' expectations when he re-signed for us and hopefully Paul can too (if he signs). Maybe not a marquee signing but solid (at least he was).

I think he is a right back. Is Cammy Smith returning to Hearts?

1 hour ago, smcc said:

I think he is a right back. Is Cammy Smith returning to Hearts?

Oops - sorry, meant right back.

JR wants Liam to stay but its up to Hearts who have him on contract for another 12 months. But I should think we would need two players to cover each full back position.

5 hours ago, Soctty said:

What we need in my opinion, after a very brief consideration.:

A right back if Smith goes back to Hearts, probably two if Irvine leaves, as he looks likely to.

At least one central defender - two if Mackenzie leaves (I think Davis will still be here).

We'll need a bit more bite in midfield, as we have done at points this season . We're a good footballing side, but have suffered from being dominated physically on occasion this season. Possibly a couple of centre mids in, as I think we'll be playing a slightly more defensive style, counterattacking.

We need to try to replace Morgan. Hippolyte and Flynn have been brought in, but Flynn looks more use central, and Hippolyte isn't a certainty to succeed in the Premiership.

A proven goalscorer at a higher level. Reilly has almost always scored goals at Championship level, while Mullen is untested at the highest level and Smith is not a prolific scorer as good a player as he is.

We may also need another keeper. Samson has done well this season, but if we could upgrade on him, I'd be delighted. If not, we will need better cover than Stewart, who is pretty much untested above League 1 level.

So I would say 9 or 10 to come in, and possibly more to give us better strength in depth.

Pretty well agree with this. 

Hadn't realised McGinn was at Thistle, thought he had been at Dundee for years. Shows how little attention I've paid to the top flight since we were relegated.

Would have been at Dumbarton when Jack Ross was there. A few folk on here took the huff when he went to them rather than sign a new contract with us even though he'd probably have been in the reserves, hope they've calmed down enough to welcome him back.

16 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Morgan's replacement. Hayes maybe if JR and BR love affair continues.

Liam Smith on a full timer.

Mallan to return.

Never thought id say this but Hardie.

Id be quite happy going into the new season with these and the rest as is.

Hardie yes but only if he is our player, no loan deals.

Would be good if Morgan’s replacement was Morgan on a season long loan. :)

On 30/03/2018 at 11:49 PM, Sweeper07 said:

Get real - any less than 10 - new additions to the current squad is lunacy...

Take a look at who won't be here next year :-

Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati

Probably nots :-

Todd, Liam Smith,

No guarantees :-

Reilly, Stelios, Ross Stewart (f)

A squad fit for the Premiership - will need to be on a whole different level to the last year...

J & J know this...

This is one of the best squads we've had in years including seasons in the premier league. He won't want to completely decimate it and bring in as many as 10. There is no need and it would be counter productive.

This squad with 4/5 high quality additions will do fine in the premier league. Think how bad we were the last time we came down, players like Ball, Arquin, Marwood etc, we are night and day from that now. A team that absolutely smashes the championship in the manner we have will be well capable in the premier league. 

But speaking generally we need to overhaul the squad or we’ll come straight down.

Another GK (at least to provide meaningful competition), RB, CB, DM (tough tackling Goodwin type), LW, and at least one CF.

Poss starting line-up: Samson/new GK; new RB (Naismith?), Davis (if he stays), new CB, Eckersley; McGinn, new DM; Flynn, Smith, new LW; CF

Subs: Samson, Baird, Magennis, Mullen, Reilly, 2 others.

FFS, we are expecting out current group of players to make the final push and get us over the line in what has been one of the most remarkable periods in our recent history, yet some on here have already bagged a few (or relegated them to the bench) for next season:lol:

I'm more than happy to simply enjoy and appreciate what we have just now, and the job these guys have done to get us where we are. The job isn't quite finished yet, though.

Aye, I understand this is how forums work, but to talk about our current squad taking us straight back down is pretty piss poor in my view.

For me, the time for this chat is after the job is done and we - as supporters - have provided 100% backing to the guys we have just now whilst they tie up the title for us.

Just my opinion....

FFS, we are expecting out current group of players to make the final push and get us over the line in what has been one of the most remarkable periods in our recent history, yet some on here have already bagged a few (or relegated them to the bench) for next season:lol:
I'm more than happy to simply enjoy and appreciate what we have just now, and the job these guys have done to get us where we are. The job isn't quite finished yet, though.
Aye, I understand this is how forums work, but to talk about our current squad taking us straight back down is pretty piss poor in my view.
For me, the time for this chat is after the job is done and we - as supporters - have provided 100% backing to the guys we have just now whilst they tie up the title for us.
Just my opinion....

Well, why read or post on the threads at all then? Nobody is saying that the current group of players won’t get our full support for the rest of this season. Or that they won’t have done an amazing job when we win the title.

But if the thread is about what we will need to survive in a higher league then I think it’s fair enough to offer an opinion on the quality required.

1 minute ago, lovestlegend said:

Well, why read or post on the threads at all then? Nobody is saying that the current group of players won’t get our full support for the rest of this season. Or that they won’t have done an amazing job when we win the title.

But if the thread is about what we will need to survive in a higher league then I think it’s fair enough to offer an opinion on the quality required.

That's fair enough, but, for me anyway, it's all about timing.

The job we are expecting these guys to do isn't complete just yet. There will be an entire close/pre season to ponder and discuss what will be required. In the meantime (and again, this is simply my take on things) we would do well just to focus on the job at hand. That job, from a supporters perspective, is to back these guys all the way.

What some folk are doing is pretty much questioning their quality. There's a time and a place for that. For me, this isn't the time.

Anyway, I appreciate that folk are entitled to discuss what they want to discuss, and I'm probably going out on a limb here.

8 hours ago, LargsBud said:

This is one of the best squads we've had in years including seasons in the premier league. He won't want to completely decimate it and bring in as many as 10. There is no need and it would be counter productive.

This squad with 4/5 high quality additions will do fine in the premier league. Think how bad we were the last time we came down, players like Ball, Arquin, Marwood etc, we are night and day from that now. A team that absolutely smashes the championship in the manner we have will be well capable in the premier league. 

• Ball Boy
  •  
  • LargsBud
  • Saints
  • 15 posts
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, Sweeper07 said:

Get real - any less than 10 - new additions to the current squad is lunacy...

Take a look at who won't be here next year :-

Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati

Probably nots :-

Todd, Liam Smith,

No guarantees :-

Reilly, Stelios, Ross Stewart (f)

A squad fit for the Premiership - will need to be on a whole different level to the last year...

J & J know this...

4 or 5 you are not thinking straight.    :-

1st - out of these - Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati : only Morgan played regularly and he will be away so that is 9 (listed as being part of our current 1st team squad) for starters.

Add in guys like Todd, Stewart x2 and Stelios and we will be in double figures even before some of our guys sign on elsewhere (They may not but chances are someone will want one of our guys to bolster their squad - and several will be out of contract)

At previous transfer windows J & J have not held back - January this year was their gentlest yet - but the Premiership is a whole different ball game and we will have a budget about £1,000,000 higher - you think they will sit on that for a rainy day?

Thoroughly agree with DREW do we simply forget that our players read this forum.We have an excellent squad just now who are doing a fantastic job let's get behind them and focus on the job on hand.All clubs that get promoted will tweak the squad to suit but plenty of time in the future for debate.Just my view.

11 hours ago, scottd said:

Hardie yes but only if he is our player, no loan deals.

Would be good if Morgan’s replacement was Morgan on a season long loan. :)

Hardie is out of contract at the end of the season and I don't see newco offering him a new deal.

12 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Morgan's replacement. Hayes maybe if JR and BR love affair continues.

Liam Smith on a full timer.

Mallan to return.

Never thought id say this but Hardie.

Id be quite happy going into the new season with these and the rest as is.

We could not afford Hayes and I don't see Celtic even considering a loan deal. 

But speaking generally we need to overhaul the squad or we’ll come straight down.

Another GK (at least to provide meaningful competition), RB, CB, DM (tough tackling Goodwin type), LW, and at least one CF.

Poss starting line-up: Samson/new GK; new RB (Naismith?), Davis (if he stays), new CB, Eckersley; McGinn, new DM; Flynn, Smith, new LW; CF

Subs: Samson, Baird, Magennis, Mullen, Reilly, 2 others.

Magennis on the bench??

Dont do drugs kids. This is what it does to you.

Edit - Magennis will be next seasons McLean, mcginn, Mallan, morgan.

Jack has used a nucleolus of about 15 players this season, most variations have been down to injury or upfront................

I think we need around 4 players , we need to tighten up at the back, so I agree another CH and a DM, or McGinn could drop back. We need cover at Left Back , and Goalie, and I would go for another experienced AM . Upfront we are fine................. I can see Smith , Mullen and Reilly getting us goals.