Why are our Home & Away crowds not bigger or better this Season???

Ronnie

Last season from February onwards our crowds were amazing for a team bottom of the league regularly taking well over 1000 to every away game & over 4000 at home a few times too.

Fast forward a year later when we have a record of wins that none of us have ever saw before and probably won't see again & our crowds at home are just about at the same level as last season but our away crowds are alot less(We have sold less tickets for Dumfries than we took to Raith on a Wednesday night).

I think the atmosphere created by the drum etc is brilliant home and away but last season the fans created the noise themselves and the players and management last season continually spoke about the "12th man" driving them on to avoid relegation.

I just don't think it's the same atmosphere this season the fans seem alot more quiet (think it might be a nervous thing being so close to winning the league).

Which shows what true supporters we are, rather than just Glory seekers:P

Last season we had about 22 must wins back to back as we only had 4 pts after 14, so it was do or die, would hardly say we are complacent this campaign. Plus some of the travelling support to our patch has been comical

So many games being postponed, rearranged and rearrangements of the rearrangements might have a negative effect.

Just a thought.

Haven't missed many Away games that have been played.  We took a good support to Livingston and the noise at Inverness and Aberdeen was amazing. The run in last year was a lot more tense. Maybe if we weren't so far ahead the atmosphere would be more impassioned. 

Dumfries is always a good day out. I'm sure we'll take a good crowd if ticket sales are available on the day. If they are not that's another fiasco designed to make life awkward for the fans. With all the games other teams have in hand the season might just all fizzle out and we could win the league on a wet Tuesday night when we aren't playing and Dundee Utd get beat by Brechin or something.

On the other hand it could all end up being decided at home against Morton after a real squeaky bum style points dropping disaster that would soon get everyone excited again and cause a bit more noise.  It would be even more nail biting if it went to the Falkirk game on the last day. Thousands would pile through for that.

At present we would like to win every game but they are not the same must win games now as they were last season. We're coasting towards the line and only a major disaster or crossing the line will cause a stir. Hopefully it's crossing the line when we are playing.

I think we should just get across the line and then worry about making noise.

47 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

So many games being postponed, rearranged and rearrangements of the rearrangements might have a negative effect.

Just a thought.

Haven't missed many Away games that have been played.  We took a good support to Livingston and the noise at Inverness and Aberdeen was amazing. The run in last year was a lot more tense. Maybe if we weren't so far ahead the atmosphere would be more impassioned. 

Dumfries is always a good day out. I'm sure we'll take a good crowd if ticket sales are available on the day. If they are not that's another fiasco designed to make life awkward for the fans. With all the games other teams have in hand the season might just all fizzle out and we could win the league on a wet Tuesday night when we aren't playing and Dundee Utd get beat by Brechin or something.

On the other hand it could all end up being decided at home against Morton after a real squeaky bum style points dropping disaster that would soon get everyone excited again and cause a bit more noise.  It would be even more nail biting if it went to the Falkirk game on the last day. Thousands would pile through for that.

At present we would like to win every game but they are not the same must win games now as they were last season. We're coasting towards the line and only a major disaster or crossing the line will cause a stir. Hopefully it's crossing the line when we are playing.

I think we should just get across the line and then worry about making noise.

A lot of sense in this and other posts on this topic.  I must admit to feeling more nervous.  Love the Drum.  

I think last season had a party atmosphere like title winning seasons from about the CCSF against TNS onwards, so we were fairly close to our maximum support. As for comparing current away crowds with last season there's been no "must win" games this time so far.

Sourced from wiki :huh: our average attendances the last two comparable seasons were 

99/00 - 4946

05/06 - 3955

So far this season were on 3989 although that is for the first nine games only so it will go up as the season reaches a conclusion. The final figure will probably be between the 05/06 & 99/00 ones - IMO it's the TH season that is the outlier. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

I wouldnt panic on early attendance averages. Dunfermline benefitted from us, Falkirk and Utd visiting in quick succession. We took 1200 to Dunfermline for the Saturday debacle, they brought 300 odd last weekend. I think we will pitch in with the highest ave at season end, not counting  play offs that the others will have.

21 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Dunfermline seemingly hand out free under 12 season tickets like confetti, and then count them on the 'attendance' whether they are actually there or not, or ever have been. Their crowds are fantasy.

http://dafc.info/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1667431&t=1667431

Soccerway has us on 4267 at the moment.

Yeah and we should hand out tickets to "tomorrow supporters" too - think during Fergie's time there were loads on the go to raise the crowds and build up longer term support (and income)?

We also need to be playing at the top level with a really good team for several years to deserve bigger crowds - I am not making excuses for glory hunters - just implying that better teams are more likely to get better crowds...

If we were at Aberdeen level year after year, the crowds would rise...

Better still kick out the Old Firm to play elsewhere and more locals would support St. Mirren...

42 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

By comparison, I'd like to see other teams travelling supports at our place. 

Always amazes me that clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk pull larger average crowds but take on average about 8-12% of their home support on the road yet we routinely take about 25% of our average home crowd. 

Edited by djchapsticks

On 15/03/2018 at 10:06 PM, djchapsticks said:

Always amazes me that clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk pull larger average crowds but take on average about 8-12% of their home support on the road yet we routinely take about 25% of our average home crowd. 

Good point.  I think it was an even higher proportion when we were in the top league.  Why?  No idea. I do enjoy away games tho.

On the home front. If we get promoted we tend to get decent away support from Kilmarnock,  Motherwell and Aberdeen plus Hibs, Hearts as well as C and R.  Patrick as well to some extent.  Dundee and St Johnstone less so and less again IC or Ross County.  

From a crowd point of view I would like to see Saints and Morton Promoted and Ross County and Hamilton relegated but may the bet teams win. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Not able to comment on away support numbers but as regards home attendances l think the harsh reality of the modern world is that this is our approximate level of support whether we are winning, playing must win games, or struggling in bottom six of premiership. Too much football on tv and too many other alternative entertainment available

Both the home and away crowds are very healthy by our standards.  Especially when you consider the complete lack of away fans we have received this season.

Actually, regular away supports of 1000 to 2000 are outstanding for a club of our size.

In short, this thread this a pile of pish.

I think the crowd is as strong as it can be with the cunts x2 being so close. Maybe if the stadium was closer to town we would get a handful more but i dont think many.

Not sure of the space but i would have loved the stadium to be somewhere like where they built the Morrisons at the Watermill or The derelict ground at Arnotts before they built the flats. It would maybe grab the attention of some more locals to start following the team.

5 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

I think the crowd is as strong as it can be with the cunts x2 being so close. Maybe if the stadium was closer to town we would get a handful more but i dont think many.

Not sure of the space but i would have loved the stadium to be somewhere like where they built the Morrisons at the Watermill or The derelict ground at Arnotts before they built the flats. It would maybe grab the attention of some more locals to start following the team.

Arnotts  :lol:   Where would you put the car park, under the pitch or over the dead bodies across the road at the abbey :rolleyes:

You know where im coming from. Lol.

Car park is a fair point though. [emoji16]

Offering some mitigation for your point ;

Your option is more environmentally friendly due to locals being able to bus it into town with ease, visiting fans train to Gilmour street - reduce congestion, reduce omissions, improve trade in town centre for pubs/cafes/chippies etc thus boosting local economy & the knock on effect more people likely to take in a home game :D

Offering some mitigation for your point ;

Your option is more environmentally friendly due to locals being able to bus it into town with ease, visiting fans train to Gilmour street - reduce congestion, reduce omissions, improve trade in town centre for pubs/cafes/chippies etc thus boosting local economy & the knock on effect more people likely to take in a home game [emoji3]
Basically what i said... but with more detil, sense and relevance hahaha [emoji17]

On 15/03/2018 at 10:06 PM, djchapsticks said:

1000 away to QOS on Saturday despite a will they won't they sell tickets on the  day fiasco and weather warnings. 

Premiership should see away supporters coming to the ground increase substantially. 

Examples

Celtic.  Rangers 1500 each

Hibs. Hearts.  Aberdeen , Kilmarnock,  1000 each

Motherwell and others 500 to750

Both the home and away crowds are very healthy by our standards.  Especially when you consider the complete lack of away fans we have received this season.
Actually, regular away supports of 1000 to 2000 are outstanding for a club of our size.
In short, this thread this a pile of pish.
Nobody said our crowds aren't healthy by our standards I was comparing last season to this which are very similar in Home and Away crowd sizes, which considering we spent 30 weeks out of 36 bottom of the league last season is surprising.

We now have a team that has for the best part of 5 months has been gradually building up a healthy lead at top of the league but don't seem to be attracting any more fans, (I was asking why???) & on the weekend we are watching re-runs of around 18,000 of us at Hampden just 5 years ago where are the missing 14,000???

Maybe you could tell us Kemp???

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Nobody said our crowds aren't healthy by our standards I was comparing last season to this which are very similar in Home and Away crowd sizes, which considering we spent 30 weeks out of 36 bottom of the league last season is surprising.

We now have a team that has for the best part of 5 months has been gradually building up a healthy lead at top of the league but don't seem to be attracting any more fans, (I was asking why???) & on the weekend we are watching re-runs of around 18,000 of us at Hampden just 5 years ago where are the missing 14,000???

Maybe you could tell us Kemp???

Most of us tend to look backwards when trying to predict the future and often this is the right approach. 

I don't think that this applies directly to the analogy you draw. 

I would ask instead what was our home support like in league games at that time? 

Elsewhere on forum I have suggested that it might even become difficult to get a ticket for some games in season(s) ahead. 

My question..  Like yours I think... Is how do we get even 10 percent of those extra fans along on a regular basis? 

Edited by St.Ricky

39 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Most of us tend to look backwards when trying to predict the future and often this is the right approach. 

I don't think that this applies directly to the analogy you draw. 

I would ask instead what was our home support like in league games at that time? 

Elsewhere on forum I have suggested that it might even become difficult to get a ticket for some games in season(s) ahead. 

My question..  Like yours I think... Is how do we get even 10 percent of those extra fans along on a regular basis? 

Call me old fashioned, but I'm one of those who prefer to know the future and predict the past.