Scottish leagues

Does anyone else get fed up watching their team mine obviously being st mirren playing the same team 4 times in a season. I feel it is time to have 18 in Premier league and play everyone twice and doing away with the split. Make the championship  more teams then just one more league. Make it 2 go down 2 come up then a playoff for 3 spot. In other words same as English football leagues. Would give some teams more of a chance to get money 

7 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Does anyone else get fed up watching their team mine obviously being st mirren playing the same team 4 times in a season. I feel it is time to have 18 in Premier league and play everyone twice and doing away with the split. Make the championship  more teams then just one more league. Make it 2 go down 2 come up then a playoff for 3 spot. In other words same as English football leagues. Would give some teams more of a chance to get money 

Not sure that many fans would disagree with you about extending  the size of the Premier League and Championship and perhaps consolidate the Lower Divisions.  Certainly prefer the home and away scenario.  Play offs seem to bring excitement and fans through the gate (I went to a couple of Falkirk play off games in the past two seasons.  Bigcrowds and lots of interest).  Whether clubs would agree I am not so sure. 

I'd like to see a breakaway league, Championship clubs and lower form their own two leagues, a clean break; new format, do things differently, embrace change, get your own tv deal etc.

The SPFL or whatever they are called dont care what goes on beneath the top league anyway, could they host their cup competitions with however many teams make up their number?

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Not sure that many fans would disagree with you about extending  the size of the Premier League and Championship and perhaps consolidate the Lower Divisions.  Certainly prefer the home and away scenario.  Play offs seem to bring excitement and fans through the gate (I went to a couple of Falkirk play off games in the past two seasons.  Bigcrowds and lots of interest).  Whether clubs would agree I am not so sure. 

Pardon me but is football not purported to be 'fan led' and if that's the case then it's time we went back to a 'proper' top league of 18 teams, that's what I remember when i first frequented love street back in late fifties or early sixties ..... so long ago now ...... I have difficulty in remembering............... what was I saying?  Oh yes never mind Paddy Power, how about Fan power :)

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Pardon me but is football not purported to be 'fan led' and if that's the case then it's time we went back to a 'proper' top league of 18 teams, that's what I remember when i first frequented love street back in late fifties or early sixties ..... so long ago now ...... I have difficulty in remembering............... what was I saying?  Oh yes never mind Paddy Power, how about Fan power :)

We agree. Now.....about the club's. 

yes, I am afraid that it is the 4 Old Firm games that attract the TV deal money.

I think the best we could hope for would be a 14 team top league incorporating some kind of split....and, I think the split would have to be a top/bottom 8-6 to make sure the actual champions would be decided on an even keel with even fixtures.

That would also give a bit of leeway/wriggle room/breathing space for clubs such as ours....and a better chance of being in top section following a split.

I’d go 18 team top league.

Ideally then two divisions below. A Northern Division and a Southern Division. Save on travel costs for the smaller clubs and hopefully more local derby matches.

Champions from each of those divisions get promoted at the expense of the bottom two teams in the top division. Could even do second in each of the lower divisions play off against each other for the right to play off against the 3rd bottom team in the top division for a final relegation/promotion slot. 

1 hour ago, farmer john said:

yes, I am afraid that it is the 4 Old Firm games that attract the TV deal money.

I think the best we could hope for would be a 14 team top league incorporating some kind of split....and, I think the split would have to be a top/bottom 8-6 to make sure the actual champions would be decided on an even keel with even fixtures.

That would also give a bit of leeway/wriggle room/breathing space for clubs such as ours....and a better chance of being in top section following a split.

With you on this.  A pragmatic solution which also in the process creates a top 8 rather than a top 6.

Two up... Two down with play offs?

Same for Championship and lower leagues? 

Unfortunately the fans don't matter to those running our game. The proverbial tail, (Glasgow @rsecheeks), wags the dog. Greed is good and to hell with the punters. TV is also God and they want the aforementioned bigot brigades to be playing each other as many times as possible. Perhaps either TV companies get their wish and boredom sets in causing a rethink or one half folds, as the last incarnation did, (for good this time), meaning that half of the @rse disappears resulting in the half that's left unable to fart so loudly. As far as I can see these are the only means of giving our game back to us. We may well get another reconstruction but it will definitely include the assurance of the bigotfest that exists.

For me two divisions of 16, we play 30 league games each season, this frees up 6 weekends so we could have an extended winter break or this would allow any team playing in Europe and wanting a free weekend prior to the game to ask for a postponement and then selecting 1 of these free weekends for the rescheduled game. Extend the league cup to a group format including premiership teams as well. This way some revenue is made up for the league games that are lost. Keep season tickets at the same price and and the cup games are added (everyone's a winner). Happy with either 3 or 4 teams being relegated.

The new tv deal can show Saturday 3pm kick offs, the tv deals includes all League & Cup games, this way there is still potential for the broadcaster to get 4 OF games per season

For me two divisions of 16, we play 30 league games each season, this frees up 6 weekends so we could have an extended winter break or this would allow any team playing in Europe and wanting a free weekend prior to the game to ask for a postponement and then selecting 1 of these free weekends for the rescheduled game. Extend the league cup to a group format including premiership teams as well. This way some revenue is made up for the league games that are lost. Keep season tickets at the same price and and the cup games are added (everyone's a winner). Happy with either 3 or 4 teams being relegated.
The new tv deal can show Saturday 3pm kick offs, the tv deals includes all League & Cup games, this way there is still potential for the broadcaster to get 4 OF games per season

Would never happen bud. The lost revenue from the league games would never be compensated for by the league cup format , also you suggest cup games included , more lost revenue there.

The two Glasgow Bigots must be removed from Scottish Football.

Otherwise it is business as usual , no matter what League format is being used.

We must have a Top League where all teams have a chance to win it.  Not just two.

1985 was a long time ago.

Ok this has run as long as the Archers and Scottish Indy..........

There is a reason it doesn't and wont change, there is reason we allow bigots , bust clubs and Scottish Parliament discussing, making laws and then ending laws because Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist have a fight.

Its because we have 2 clubs in Scotland, not 42.

Be as well just have one league with two teams that played each other every week. That would keep SKY happy, and in all truth the SFA . and Glasgow City Council as well.... Not to mention the ferry companies shipping over Irish dross every week.

The English league will never open its doors to the OF, the only ones , that might, someday is SKY. But I think that ship has sailed. Celtic would not compete at the level they would have when this was topical 10 years ago, and Sevco.... well , I would give them 5 years before they imploded..

With the OF Colts now looking at league entry , this will only go one way

As for Summer football- What is summer??