Growing up in 60s & 70s

whydowebother

School summer holidays :

Growing up in Paisley ( Foxbar ) we were ‘fortunate’ enough to live in Lexwell Road overlooking the ‘Red rock canyon’ , ‘Witches dens’ & Elderslie golf course meaning many a summer holiday in the Blue bell woods on a rope swing ( occasion acquiring golf balls , that may or may not of belonged to passing golfers )

The main entertainment was making a ‘Geeg’ but thinking about it , where on earth did we acquire pram wheels every summer ? Scraps of wood, u-nails, carpet & rope must of been in abundance as we could always make a Geeg, but I’ve no idea how all this stuff was readily available, did any of you ever make a Geeg ? & as you didn’t have a B&Q to nip to, where did you get the stuff to make it ?

IMG_1133.jpg

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

We made geegs every year  but, as we lived in Feegie, we just stuck bricks on for wheels, missing out the middle man.

I remember building the geegs , planks of wood , pram wheels , a couple of flattened cans to nail on to hold the wheels in place and a bit of rope to steer, Those F1 guys could have learned a thing or two from us in the day.

1 hour ago, linwood buddie said:

I remember building the geegs , planks of wood , pram wheels , a couple of flattened cans to nail on to hold the wheels in place and a bit of rope to steer, Those F1 guys could have learned a thing or two from us in the day.

Aye!

Big girl's blouses every one of them.

You never hear of Lewis Hamilton crashing, smiling, and appearing with skint knees.  

Grew up in Glenburn in Glenfield Road, had many a Geeg.... Also had bikes with no tyres or tubes to go down the wee hill in the woods opposite the Hoose. Or brakes.....

We lived in the Tenements at the brow of the hill,just beside the old Sunday Market entrance. B******s have knocked it down.

Also knocked down my old flat in Incle street.

So if you live in my last Hoose at 13 Fauldswood Crescent I would move oot.............:lol:

Geeg heaven was managing to find some of those big Pram wheels for the back and a complete pair of wee ones to give the Hot rod appearance . Hammering down Spey avenue hill with a sharp left into Findhorn really tested the build quality. B)  and your brakes (heels) if there was a car coming!!

Ha indeed it was , though more dangerous making they Spey/Findhorn turn - I used to live un Tummel Way & My cousins lived in Findhorn Avenue so tried the geeg there a few times , if you felt really brave you’d fly down past the phone box towards Brediland Primary.

Foxbar was a great place back then.

On 21/03/2018 at 7:26 PM, linwood buddie said:

Yip you never hear of F1 cars built completely from re-cycled/knocked parts..!

• 5 months later...
We made geegs every year  but, as we lived in Feegie, we just stuck bricks on for wheels, missing out the middle man.

Haha, reading your post there I was thinking of prams up and down the country sitting on bricks coz wee scallywags using the wheels for geegs!
Likewise we made a Geeg every year. A good solid long bit of wood, probably a railway sleeper! When we moved from Feegie to Hunterhill we used to race down the steep slopes of Hunterhill park and also Brodie park when we visited my uncles. Great days!

57 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Haha, reading your post there I was thinking of prams up and down the country sitting on bricks coz wee scallywags using the wheels for geegs!
Likewise we made a Geeg every year. A good solid long bit of wood, probably a railway sleeper! When we moved from Feegie to Hunterhill we used to race down the steep slopes of Hunterhill park and also Brodie park when we visited my uncles. Great days!

Did yous have a wee win on the Littlewoods Pools to make a move like that?

Also do you mean Saucelhill rather than Hunterhill park?We used to sledge there down towards Espedair St.

Geeg's were a blast coming doon scadlock rd  around the flower garden (not so flowery when we played fitba in it lol) intae the hairpin to crawfurd drive:thumbs2 Jim Clark had nothin on us:lol:

The other fav was getting yer auld skates and puttin a hard back christmnas annual on it it like a seat and riding that doon the kerb trying no tae burn yer skin raw aff yer fingers...aye that was the 60's and "ah remember" them whits wrang wi me :lol: