Ton 's Debt

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

And clubs still overspend the more they worry they are going to lose out. Lets see how we handle all the aspects of being back up there.

We have a history of living within our means - why look for problems that aren't really there.

You're not edgy, with a unique insight, to quote the man you're stark raving bonkers!

Just out of interest, if they were going bust and showed up with buckets (again), would you donate?

I'd be in two minds. Lessons clearly haven't been learned, and their own fans aren't bothering to attend games. But it's nice to have rivals, especially when we are so consistently better than them. 

35 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Just out of interest, if they were going bust and showed up with buckets (again), would you donate?

I'd be in two minds. Lessons clearly haven't been learned, and their own fans aren't bothering to attend games. But it's nice to have rivals, especially when we are so consistently better than them. 

I probably would chuck a quid in the bucket . On the understanding that every pound donated bought one whole share in the club . 

£1543 collected for “ save the Ton “ campaign at the first home game next season would see Saints fans own £1543 of Morton F.C. therefore becoming the Majority shareholder :P

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

We have a history of living within our means - why look for problems that aren't really there.

You're not edgy, with a unique insight, to quote the man you're stark raving bonkers!

Selective history recollection there. The important thing going forward is what the club and those charged with leading it do now. The temptation to speculate money before you actually have it, to accumulate, has blighted more than half the Premiership clubs.

expectation levels will rise significantly, fans will call for,spending, signings etc, etc and the character of those leading the club will be tested. You can keep your head in the sand, or as you suggest check your history to see who has bitten off more than they can chew.

Sevco, Hearts, Killie, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Hamilton, ICT, and you could argue Aberdeen, Hibs and County if uncle Roy decides to do a Milesom. Aye them problems arent really there, i mean they only happen at other clubs.

8 hours ago, pod said:

Their future should be in ground sharing, but to stubborn to realise it. 

Actually- there is a stuff that is a blend of grass and artificial. I forget what it’s called but it could be the way to go. My second thought is that if clubs invested in a proper technology including heating and drainage then they might not have the kind of cancellations that have blighted this season. 

6 hours ago, Paisleyporridge said:

Actually- there is a stuff that is a blend of grass and artificial. I forget what it’s called but it could be the way to go. My second thought is that if clubs invested in a proper technology including heating and drainage then they might not have the kind of cancellations that have blighted this season. 

I think it's call hybred grass or reinforced natural  grass. Isn't that what Motherwell have now? 

10 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Selective history recollection there. The important thing going forward is what the club and those charged with leading it do now. The temptation to speculate money before you actually have it, to accumulate, has blighted more than half the Premiership clubs.

expectation levels will rise significantly, fans will call for,spending, signings etc, etc and the character of those leading the club will be tested. You can keep your head in the sand, or as you suggest check your history to see who has bitten off more than they can chew.

Sevco, Hearts, Killie, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Hamilton, ICT, and you could argue Aberdeen, Hibs and County if uncle Roy decides to do a Milesom. Aye them problems arent really there, i mean they only happen at other clubs.

What was selective about my post - we do have a history of living within our means going back to the start of the SG regime.  Promotion is not a poisoned chalice if we live within our means.

Rather than my head being in the sand over this issue I'd suggest you're indulging in Dad's Army style doom mongering living up to your LookAtMe nickname.  

What other clubs have done is another issue but given that we managed to make a profit last season despite the managerial payoff and squad rebuild last January I see no reason to assume we're going to change the practice of the last two decades.

46 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

What was selective about my post - we do have a history of living within our means going back to the start of the SG regime.  Promotion is not a poisoned chalice if we live within our means.

Rather than my head being in the sand over this issue I'd suggest you're indulging in Dad's Army style doom mongering living up to your LookAtMe nickname.  

What other clubs have done is another issue but given that we managed to make a profit last season despite the managerial payoff and squad rebuild last January I see no reason to assume we're going to change the practice of the last two decades.

We have been living within our means. Under the old BOD we were frugal to the point that the team degenerated, and they did not really speculate to accumulate - though the new stadium was a big legacy to leave us with. (Even though I loved Love Street)

The current BOD have speculated a bit more with the transfer money we have taken in - especially in January when they realised that winning the league was much more than just a possibility - the squad has been really beefed up in quality terms.

Next year we will have a much bigger budget - with the larger crowds and the prize money dished out for being in the top league. and this years prize money.

We definitely don't want to do a Brechin and invest next to nothing, accepting they were in the wrong league for a season, and likewise we don't want to blow every penny to try and win the Premiership in our 1st season back. We will need about 10 new players (looking at who we have now who will be away). My hope is that we are not just signing 10 squad players, but that all of the new signings will be superior to what we currently have - that is a tall order, but in J & J we hope..

Selective as in we had a history of living within in our means up until we almost disappeared off the face of the planet!

it is amusing watching grown men quote/make up names to call, the last time they probably did that was in short trousers, so i suppose the theory on age regression holds some sway?

it is good of you to highlight the halving of profit in the last club accounts compared to the previous year and regime's accounts, that achieved despite the transfers of McAllister and Mallan...! And with increased management and playing staff wages this year, and next season in the Premiership, sensible observers need to keep a watchful eye on our investment.

edit: just read Sweepers post, expectations have already risen, how will the board respond having already pushed the boat out to get thus far?

Edited by Lord Pityme

12 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I probably would chuck a quid in the bucket . On the understanding that every pound donated bought one whole share in the club . 

£1543 collected for “ save the Ton “ campaign at the first home game next season would see Saints fans own £1543 of Morton F.C. therefore becoming the Majority shareholder :P

You could probably buy the club for £1.

Well run clubs cost more.

16 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

There but for the grace of god...

before celebrating what may or may not happen to the Ton, lets see how our finances sit after a full season in the Premiership.

I'm at a total loss trying to grasp why most subjects out with the playing side of our club has to be negative? We have a strong history of living within our means. What makes you think we will go out and spend what we don't have .

51 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Selective as in we had a history of living within in our means up until we almost disappeared off the face of the planet!

it is amusing watching grown men quote/make up names to call, the last time they probably did that was in short trousers, so i suppose the theory on age regression holds some sway?

it is good of you to highlight the halving of profit in the last club accounts compared to the previous year and regime's accounts, that achieved despite the transfers of McAllister and Mallan...! And with increased management and playing staff wages this year, and next season in the Premiership, sensible observers need to keep a watchful eye on our investment.

edit: just read Sweepers post, expectations have already risen, how will the board respond having already pushed the boat out to get thus far?

I'm not going to deny that from a business POV running a football club is a precarious pastime however but like I said we have a better than average record in that respect - far better.

So our profit last season was half of what it was the year before, it was still a profit, anyway what relevance does this have on us getting promoted? The last two times we got promoted we made a profit in our first season up, I trust the current BoD to set a prudent budget and stick to it. As I've already said your take on promotion is perverse and as the man said stark raving bonkers

PS - Do you have privileged information about how far the current BoD have pushed the boat out this season or are you just making it up as you go along?

This was a thread about Morton's debt - it takes a special kind of guy to turn it into an attack on the club he claims to support and his fellow supporters, and as I've shown a badly informed one at that. :bah

I'm not going to deny that from a business POV running a football club is a precarious pastime however but like I said we have a better than average record in that respect - far better.

So our profit last season was half of what it was the year before, it was still a profit, anyway what relevance does this have on us getting promoted? The last two times we got promoted we made a profit in our first season up, I trust the current BoD to set a prudent budget and stick to it. As I've already said your take on promotion is perverse and as the man said stark raving bonkers

PS - Do you have privileged information about how far the current BoD have pushed the boat out this season or are you just making it up as you go along?

This was a thread about Morton's debt - it takes a special kind of guy to turn it into an attack on the club he claims to support and his fellow supporters, and as I've shown a badly informed one at that. :bah

Really, where is the attack on the club, and your laughable claim i am attacking supporters..?? Cant wait to see if you reply, deflect ir ignore those two questions.

My original post was in response to Mortons debt by saying 'their but for the grace of god' i then went on to highlight the clubs, including ours who have crucified themselves with debt, especially when chasing 'the dream'... i see you decided to 'ignore' the fact we halved our profit to something like £15k, despite selling McAllister & Mallan. And thats only our spending to last July in the Championship!

if you cant see the relevance/importance on controlling spending when we are promoted, taking into account whats already been spent then i am at a loss as to what is important to you.

now come on, lets be having these heinous attacks on our supporters i've made... lol.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm at a total loss trying to grasp why most subjects out with the playing side of our club has to be negative? We have a strong history of living within our means. What makes you think we will go out and spend what we don't have .

Why is it negative to look at what we have already spent, look at the clubs who have imploded, and suggest we should keep a tight control on spending - v - expectations?

not that long ago our club nearly died with a 'chasing the dream' philosophy. The last board had to chip in their pensions etc to save the club. Should we just forget that and spend, spend, spend...? Or err on the side of prudence..?

Thank god we're 'on our way' but i want the club to still be there at the end of next season, and each season after that. Not become a dead man ealking outfit like Dun Utd.

15 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Conditionally Yes

1. They stop taking points off us

2. They take a shower

3. They start appreciating Paisley architecture

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Why is it negative to look at what we have already spent, look at the clubs who have imploded, and suggest we should keep a tight control on spending - v - expectations?

not that long ago our club nearly died with a 'chasing the dream' philosophy. The last board had to chip in their pensions etc to save the club. Should we just forget that and spend, spend, spend...? Or err on the side of prudence..?

Thank god we're 'on our way' but i want the club to still be there at the end of next season, and each season after that. Not become a dead man ealking outfit like Dun Utd.

Mate- Why don't you start another Thread- this one was actually about Morton's poor finances , not ours. Last time I looked we had a Stadium, a training facilities and a wee Profit  .

Are you sure your not a Ton fan and your just staring a wee petty debate :whistle

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

If you used  to have a rival but they died,

If you used to have a rival but they died,

You should have looked out for the bucket,

With ‘Save the Morton’ on it.....

....If you used to have a rival but they died.

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Brilliant. :lol:

My sides are splitting :lol:

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really, where is the attack on the club, and your laughable claim i am attacking supporters..?? Cant wait to see if you reply, deflect ir ignore those two questions.

My original post was in response to Mortons debt by saying 'their but for the grace of god' i then went on to highlight the clubs, including ours who have crucified themselves with debt, especially when chasing 'the dream'... i see you decided to 'ignore' the fact we halved our profit to something like £15k, despite selling McAllister & Mallan. And thats only our spending to last July in the Championship!

if you cant see the relevance/importance on controlling spending when we are promoted, taking into account whats already been spent then i am at a loss as to what is important to you.

now come on, lets be having these heinous attacks on our supporters i've made... lol.

I stand by everything I've posted on this thread so far.

After the "stark raving bonkers" post about the perils of promotion I regard just about the rest of your thoughts on this thread as an an attack on the club and fans one of whom you mentioned personally - Sweeper07.

I have already limited my praise of the club's financial prudence to the SG era but even so that's going back 20 years. As for the last season's profit being half of the previous years as I've said so what it's still a profit. I wouldn't defend the club if they were to set a bad budget and make a loss but as yet I've seen no evidence of this other than your lurid fantasies.  Like I asked do you have any privileged information - I think not and that you're just bullshitting.

I've answered your questions perhaps you could try answering mine, although going by your past record I hold little hope as you are clearly using your usual tactic of repeating inaccuracies until the person you're debating with gives up.

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I stand by everything I've posted on this thread so far.

After the "stark raving bonkers" post about the perils of promotion I regard just about the rest of your thoughts on this thread as an an attack on the club and fans one of whom you mentioned personally - Sweeper07.

I have already limited my praise of the club's financial prudence to the SG era but even so that's going back 20 years. As for the last season's profit being half of the previous years as I've said so what it's still a profit. I wouldn't defend the club if they were to set a bad budget and make a loss but as yet I've seen no evidence of this other than your lurid fantasies.  Like I asked do you have any privileged information - I think not and that you're just bullshitting.

I've answered your questions perhaps you could try answering mine, although going by your past record I hold little hope as you are clearly using your usual tactic of repeating inaccuracies until the person you're debating with gives up.

So referencing someone else's post is Attacking them..? Gies piece... because if you continue that thought process you have attacked me with every response, and every poster, even if they only reference but dont quote a post are equally attacking other posters. You can see how bizarre your thinking looks in the cold light of day!

again you decice to ignore the club took in somewhere in the region of £400-£500k in transfers(forgot whatever the Naismith fee was)  and still only ended up with £15k, asopposed to £30k the year before. Cant think why you would ignore that, its all in the accounts. Unless you believe they are as you say "repeating inaccuracies"

i cant remember if you have actually asked me a question here? But if you post i will answer, not ignore, or deflect

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

again you decice to ignore the club took in somewhere in the region of £400-£500k in transfers(forgot whatever the Naismith fee was)  and still only ended up with £15k, asopposed to £30k the year before. Cant think why you would ignore that, its all in the accounts.

Is there a link to the accounts anywhere?

How does the deal work where transfer fees go to the old BoD?

I never quite understood how that worked or even how it was possible.