Champions v Morton. Trophy Presentation 21/4/18

shull

4 minutes ago, friskysteed said:

It happens at the rugby all the time - and that’s with alcohol freely available at the ground. No trouble

It happens at American football, and I’ve been to plenty of those games. Sometimes there’s trouble though. I was at a Washington Redskins v Dallas Cowboys game in DC, and the home team were getting pumped. There were lots of Cowboys fans mixed in, but one or two of them became a bit gobby, started saying derogatory stuff about the Redskins, rather than just cheering for their own team... Redskins fans had enough of the two gobshites, and a small scene kicked off, resulting in stewards swiftly removing the gobshites.

Imagine that scene with an OF fan next to you at the 2021 next season who starts singing about the Queen or the Pope, or the bleedin’ IRA etc.... it WILL end badly. It simply isn’t rugger.

5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Its pretty sad isn't it................ we go on about the OF, but facts seem to be, that someone pays £20 and its lets them become anti social morons.............. Personally I could easily sit next to a Livi fan Saturday, mind you if its that tosser with the drum, I will smash it over his head , but in a nice way !!:P 

We gave Willo Flood plenty on Tuesday, and McMullan. Packed into the shed, it was standard stuff, no insults about their colour, religion, sexual orientation or lack of hair / height / nae’ neck.... OK, maybe the last three. :lol:

22 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Its pretty sad isn't it................ we go on about the OF, but facts seem to be, that someone pays £20 and its lets them become anti social morons.............. Personally I could easily sit next to a Livi fan Saturday, mind you if its that tosser with the drum, I will smash it over his head , but in a nice way !!:P 

DJ.

Yep it is sad.

I love the fact that there are two opposing sets of fans..each committed to their own team...making lots of noise (including drums but not right next to me@)

In the past I often went to games and sat beside opposition fans. Your right about listening to the abuse. Makes you realise that it's not right for either side to go too far.

It happens at American football, and I’ve been to plenty of those games. Sometimes there’s trouble though. I was at a Washington Redskins v Dallas Cowboys game in DC, and the home team were getting pumped. There were lots of Cowboys fans mixed in, but one or two of them became a bit gobby, started saying derogatory stuff about the Redskins, rather than just cheering for their own team... Redskins fans had enough of the two gobshites, and a small scene kicked off, resulting in stewards swiftly removing the gobshites.
Imagine that scene with an OF fan next to you at the 2021 next season who starts singing about the Queen or the Pope, or the bleedin’ IRA etc.... it WILL end badly. It simply isn’t rugger.

Before Love St was seated, early 90’s I think, we played Sellik and they were given the whole of the North bank. I went with my mate (a Sellik fan) and stood on the terrace next to him only separated by the steps and a few cops. Him with the Sellik fans and me in with the buddies (we even passed cigarettes to each other during the match). I saw no bother between the two sets of fans. Segregation is not necessary, it is only done because of a few fannies, who can be easily spotted, ejected and banned from football stadiums with the cameras and technology readily available.

2 minutes ago, friskysteed said:

Before Love St was seated, early 90’s I think, we played Sellik and they were given the whole of the North bank. I went with my mate (a Sellik fan) and stood on the terrace next to him only separated by the steps and a few cops. Him with the Sellik fans and me in with the buddies (we even passed cigarettes to each other during the match). I saw no bother between the two sets of fans. Segregation is not necessary, it is only done because of a few fannies, who can be easily spotted, ejected and banned from football stadiums with the cameras and technology readily available.

Welcome back to the forum by the way.

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Was it the 1980 Cup Final that changed everything?

It was that game that done for bevvy at the fitba, but I don't think it had any implications on segregation.

Segregation was in effect well before then, although not always observed, particularly by the bigots.

Pretty sure our fence went up during the close season in 1977.

4-0 defeat at Alloa in the last game of the 2002/3 season.

It was between Alloa and Ross County for the last relegation place to the 2nd Division.

With Ross County behind in their game, the Saints and Alloa fans stood side by side happily singing 'We're not going to Dingwall, We're not going to Dingwall', reflecting on the next season's away trips.

Ross County turned things around in their game, confirming Alloa's relegation. On hearing the news, Saints fans immediately switched to pointing at the Alloa fans and singing 'You're not going to Dingwall, You're not going to Dingwall.

There was an outbreak of handbags on the terracing and the police had to move in and segregate the fans for the rest of the game. :lol:

17 minutes ago, friskysteed said:

You smoked in the 90s and you're still alive !!!!!

Pretty sure our fence went up during the close season in 1977.

It was.

And as for this...

Before Love St was seated, early 90’s I think, we played Sellik and they were given the whole of the North bank.

I've been going to Saints games since the 76/77 season and Celtic have NEVER been given the whole of the North Bank.

The only time I can ever recall them being in our side of the NB was the 1-1 game on 9th January 1988 when the weather was mental and our stadium announcer asked the Saints fans "to move up a bit" to allow the Celtic fans in the Love St end to get some shelter.

The fence segregating the NB and LS end was erected soon after that.

I've been going to Saints games since the 76/77 season and Celtic have NEVER been given the whole of the North Bank. The only time I can ever recall them being in our side of the NB was the 1-1 game on 9th January 1988 when the weather was mental and our stadium announcer asked the Saints fans "to move up a bit" to allow the Celtic fans in the Love St end to get some shelter.

My memory of the early 90’s is a bit hazy, I’ll give you that, but I remember this well, as I rode my motorcycle there and was quite sober. We were all packed into the Love St end. Sellik fans filled the North bank. Sorry I can’t be sure on the date

21 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It was.

And as for this...

I've been going to Saints games since the 76/77 season and Celtic have NEVER been given the whole of the North Bank.

The only time I can ever recall them being in our side of the NB was the 1-1 game on 9th January 1988 when the weather was mental and our stadium announcer asked the Saints fans "to move up a bit" to allow the Celtic fans in the Love St end to get some shelter.

I've been going even longer,1968,and I'm with you on this EAB.I don't ever remember sellic fans getting the full NB.

FAKE NEWS :lol:

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It was.

And as for this...

They tried to take it 1984 and got leathered

4 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

F*ck that, they chose to be bigots, leave them out in the pissing rain.

10 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It was.

And as for this...

Can you remember how that worked out EAB??

Campbell Money scored an OG, Kenny McDowall equalised with a sublime volley and when Celtic were awarded a penalty, MacAvennie was still a Saint.

As for the mhanky mob getting into the NB...couldn't tell you, I was a "fencer" so was never at the end of the roof.

I can remember it well.

I started the game behind the goals as I went to the match with a friend who was a celtic fan. Yes... I was in with them!

All was ok till I kept forgetting where I was and shouting for the Saints.

In fairness, the fans around me didn't complain but ra polis made me move "for my own safety".

After moving me to the North Bank... They moved all the Celtic fans in beside us after asking us via the tannoy to budge up!

There were grumbles but no trouble.