Attendances in the Championship

Just now, munoz said:

Not looked , but id imagine it's around the 4K mark.

OK,  so you reckon if we were "successful" we could increase this by 25% on a regular basis? 

Exactly what would this "successful" actually mean? 

Show me other teams that have improved their attendance by 25%

IMO the potential numbers are not there, no matter what, as you indicate,  to turn up on a regular basis.  

Cup runs are a completely different set of circumstances and will always remain that way for most "diddy" teams. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

OK,  so you reckon if we were "successful" we could increase this by 25% on a regular basis? 

IMO the potential numbers are not there, no matter what, as you indicate,  to turn up on a regular basis.  

Cup runs are a completely different set of circumstances and will always remain that way for most "diddy" teams. 

Yes.

Top 6 on a regular basis.

Hibs,Hearts,Rangers,Dunfermline have probably improved, probably more.

Maybe we need better marketing, perhaps get the Uni involved with that also.

Cup run are different but should be used as of trying to attract some people coming back on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Yes.

Cup run are different but should be used as of trying to attract some people coming back on a regular basis.

Aye, OK,  you're "probably" right. :lol:

I'm out, enough "whataboutery" for me, 

As for cup runs, people make the special effort for 1 or 2 games and WON'T  turn up on a regular basis. 

42 minutes ago, munoz said:

Yes.

There's the rub, apart  from 20's & the  80's we've never been Top 6 on a regular basis.

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/club/league-history/

We're a yoyo club there is no next level.

Edited by Bud the Baker

49 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, OK,  you're "probably" right. :lol:

I'm out, enough "whataboutery" for me, 

As for cup runs, people make the special effort for 1 or 2 games and WON'T  turn up on a regular basis. 

3599 in 2016/2017

4247 in 2017/2018

No Hibs or Rangers

Away fans average set to rise by 500+

Home fans....my guestimate us 400 

Guestimate 900 taking us to 5100+

Reasons given why this won't happen:

OF fan base in the Paisley area.

Alternative entertainment

Anticipation of struggling in the top league.

Reasons why it might/will happen.

Opportunities to test ourselves in the top league.

Opportunities to see a higher level of opponent and top players.

Returning fans and neutrals coming along

Now I know you live a fair bit away from the club but would you turn up more at home games if we were more successful ? Again not trying to have a dig but I don't ever recall you going to games when the buds supporters in the machine shop in babcock were talking about the games.

13 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's been some dubiety expressed about the figures for Dunfermline & Falkirk on other threads but they go to show the benefit of having teams from the same part of the country in your division for attendances. That's why I'd like to see Morton come up in the play-offs and have Dundee & Ross County relegated.

Even though Dundee is 70 miles further from Paisley than Hamilton, they would bring a bigger support than Accies.

Plus Accies have a shite stadium and a shite pitch so I'd rather seem them relegated.

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
11 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:
I understand what you are saying but despite having us in the League their average attendances are still pish . As far as going up to the top flight is concerned , I think as previously discussed , their shit hole of a "stadium" wouldn't make it as far as the standards expected in the Premier are concerned and possible H&S concerns. .

ETA ; yeah the Dunfermline and Falkirk stats certainly don't stack up going by the crowds I have seen at those venues. .

Why would H&S concerns be any different in the top flight? It passes for a stated capacity no matter what division they are in.

Dont think I would agree with that. .

I can't see the police letting Morton open the abyss behind the goals to the Old Firm animals.  Would be mayhem.

Personally, I would also like to see them promoted and finally forced to build our old East Stand they have sitting in a shed somewhere!  Finally get a roof over that tip.

2 hours ago, renfrew said:
5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Now I know you live a fair bit away from the club but would you turn up more at home games if we were more successful ? Again not trying to have a dig but I don't ever recall you going to games when the buds supporters in the machine shop in babcock were talking about the games.

I am curious too. Faraway could hold the key as to why some keyboard fans don't come to games. Many reasons are unquestionably sound including I'll health, mobility issues, transport issues, carers duties or straightforwardly for some,  the cost. It would be helpful for the club to know. Then again maybe they do.

10 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Agree with this and that's generous I think the trophy game with Morton being around 5,500. 

We got around 8k for the Trophy days in 00 and 06. What makes you think it will be significantly less this time?

St Johnstone and Raith Rovers fans brought much less than Morton will bring on those days. With it being a derby as well the St Mirren end will sell out. 

Edited by LargsBud

57 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I am curious too. Faraway could hold the key as to why some keyboard fans don't come to games. Many reasons are unquestionably sound including I'll health, mobility issues, transport issues, carers duties or straightforwardly for some,  the cost. It would be helpful for the club to know. Then again maybe they do.

It is maybe not the Clubs or anybody else's business why somebody doesn't attend. 

Will add though that the outrageous admission prices don't help to attract punters. 

5 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Even though Dundee is 70 miles further from Paisley than Hamilton, they would bring a bigger support than Accies.

Plus Accies have a shite stadium and a shite pitch so I'd rather seem them relegated.

You're correct about the supports Accies & Dundee would bring to GHR.

It would however mean no Tayside derbies which usually attract crowds of 6000+ whereas the Fakes vs Hamilton is normally just over 3000 so Dundee getting relegated will affect the Fakes more than Hamilton going down would affect us.

On balance I reckon Morton coming up via the play-offs and Dundee & Ross County getting relegated would suit us best.

Edited by Bud the Baker

8 hours ago, renfrew said:
11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

St Mirren have never been a major part of my life, football has and is.

I went to home games because Love Street was 200 yards from my house.

Never went to away games, had other stuff to do.

Pool and snooker were more of an attraction. 

My friends supported a variety of teams, I never felt the need to hang about with people because they supported St Mirren. 

Back on topic, our current support,IMO, is pretty close to maximum and if we can't attract more when the last year has been as good as it's been for a very long time we never will.  

I mentioned earlier IF we had sustained success, and I mean top 4, we could raise the attendances,  but not by much. 

People who attend are interested, people who don't aren't and there's little that can be done to change that. 

Hope this helps. :D

4 hours ago, shull said:

It is maybe not the Clubs or anybody else's business why somebody doesn't attend. 

Will add though that the outrageous admission prices don't help to attract punters. 

Shull. 

I fully respect faraway or any other keyboard fan's right to privacy.

I disagree however that it isn't the Clubs business. An understanding of what motivates or obstructs people from attending is crucial.

You may well be right that price plays a part. I added cost of travel...particularly if you live some distance from the ground. 

Medical,  health, family, caring or other issues can also play it's part as can work or business responsibilities. 

I am not prying and would not want to pry into Faraway 's private affairs. If I put my question to him clumsily then he is due and gets an apology from me.

Where Faraway and others can help is to point out obstacles that may prevent people from attending regularly and perhaps in particular from buying a season ticket

All Clubs in Scotland must realise they are ripping off fans.

They must remedy it and not just with special offers at selected matches.

EVERY LEAGUE MATCH IN SCOTLAND SHOULD BE UNDER £10.

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

St Mirren have never been a major part of my life, football has and is.

I went to home games because Love Street was 200 yards from my house.

Never went to away games, had other stuff to do.

Pool and snooker were more of an attraction. 

My friends supported a variety of teams, I never felt the need to hang about with people because they supported St Mirren. 

Back on topic, our current support,IMO, is pretty close to maximum and if we can't attract more when the last year has been as good as it's been for a very long time we never will.  

I mentioned earlier IF we had sustained success, and I mean top 4, we could raise the attendances,  but not by much. 

People who attend are interested, people who don't aren't and there's little that can be done to change that. 

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks Faraway

But

In 2015/2016 Average 3,200

In 2016/2017 Average 3,599

In 2017/2018 Average 4.247 with 3 good home games to go.

The facts are that we are on an upward trend.

Moving to the top league will ,in my opinion , build on that upward trend.

Attendances obviously include both home and away fans.

Both are likely to increase in 2018/2019 with perhaps the biggest jump being in the number of away fans who come to Paisley. C, R, Hearts, Hibs, Killie,   Motherwell and Aberdeen bring big numbers of supporters. There are stats available for those who want to look on away crowds at clubs. My guestimate is that away fans attending will increase by more than 500  per game. 

That brings us back to how many Saints fans will come along. I am sticking with the  trend from last year to this and suggesting that we might add 500 per game on average.

Now if I were a director then I might choose to be a little guarded in my projections and in that I take on Faraway ' s well made point that these are large increases for any business.

Over to the manager, team and board to make it so attractive to come along that it's difficult to resist!

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, shull said:

All Clubs in Scotland must realise they are ripping off fans.

They must remedy it and not just with special offers at selected matches.

EVERY LEAGUE MATCH IN SCOTLAND SHOULD BE UNDER £10.

What was it they did in Germany Shull?