Saints league position on the day you were born.

9 hours ago, thepaisleypanda said:

good Gawd! - That was almost as bad as the "bib" :-)

Maybe , but if we had George "Dandy" McLean playing through the middle this season , we would have won the league last month , at the latest !

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Maybe , but if we had George "Dandy" McLean playing through the middle this season , we would have won the league last month , at the latest !

Aye but if these defenders played now and played the way they played then we would be playing 2 or 3 men short every week.   They took no prisoners  these days!!

23 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Aye but if these defenders played now and played the way they played then we would be playing 2 or 3 men short every week.   They took no prisoners  these days!!

I was watching big match revisited t'other night , some of the tackles that went unpunished were unbelievable , its only  when you watch those games from 30 odd years ago that you realise that it was much more enjoyable to be a football fan back then !

25 minutes ago, billyg said:

I was watching big match revisited t'other night , some of the tackles that went unpunished were unbelievable , its only  when you watch those games from 30 odd years ago that you realise that it was much more enjoyable to be a football fan back then !

You'll remember the famous Chelsea vs Leeds FA Cup Final replay from the early 70s - it was analysed on TV a couple of years back and by current standards there'd have been 5 red cards and only one player would not have been booked! :lol:

You'll remember the famous Chelsea vs Leeds FA Cup Final replay from the early 70s - it was analysed on TV a couple of years back and by current standards there'd have been 5 red cards and only one player would not have been booked! :lol:

My main memory from that night was that my dads team India of Inchinnan won the P&D 3rd division beating Tannahill 3-0 at the racecourse. Home in time to see the important bits of that Final .

28 minutes ago, billyg said:

Spot on, I was having a "who was best Messi or Maradona" conversation with my grandson the other day, after watching some Youtube 

videos it's a wonder how Maradona's is still able to walk after the years of assaults he had to suffer, yet nowadays they hardly lay a 

finger on Messi.. 

27 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Second place in Division One having scored less than half the league :lol:

We eventually finished 4th as Raith Rovers comfortably won the league ahead of Kilmarnock. Cowdenbeath only managed 13pts from their 44 games with a record of 3-7-34.

IMG_2761.PNG

We made a horrific start to that campaign. 

Raith Rovers were worthy winners. 

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

That was the 1st football match I seen on TV in colour. :lol:

3 hours ago, billyg said:

A little story from these days.  I used to play in the NALGO summer league.  We played midweek on the pitches on Inchinnan Rd, opposite the old Flying Club.  The standard was pretty good, we had a few ex-pros and a couple of guys who had played for Scottish Schools at various levels.  One night we played Paisley Burgh who had a couple of guys who played Junior and we expected a tough match.  At ko I thought I recognised their left back but I couldn't think from where.  We were two nil up after about 20 minutes and I think there had been a few bookings in the first 15 mins or so but we were well on top thaks to our guy in central midfield who had captained Scotland at U18 level and was better than the ex-pros.  Enter their left back who had been urging his team mates to get on top of our guy and keep him quiet.  He decided to take into his own hands and went for him with a lunge the nearly broke his leg just above the knee.  The little light went on in my head and I knew who he was - Sandy Clelland who was working for the Burgh during the summer break - laying tar I think.  Off he went and he was suspended for the rest of the tournament.  We had pukka refs so I guess ghe probably gave a false name or he would have been in bigger trouble.  Sorry, a little longer story than I thought