What's happened to this forum? AKA WTF!

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Merge/delete threads that are the same/similar for a start. 

Put threads in the correct section.

Nothing too drastic TBH, just some general maintenance. 

They were the days. 

You and Lucy could become Mods and improve the Forum.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I'm a wee bit gutted that you left me out the gang, Andy. You don't usually leave me out of the gang:(

You're a whole level below those fuds.

:P

Edited by zico

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You recently posted something along the lines that there hasn't been anything worthwhile to debate for months. :blink:

It's a St MIrren football club forum, we are in the best form we have been for many a long year yet you find nothing to say?

You have also been culpable of dishing out "abuse" as you call it. 

Confirms what I've said for a long time, you have no interest in football or sport, you only trot in here to try to lord it over anyone's view who you don't agree with.

TBH you were useful, always need someone who was a figure of fun. 

Well said FAS, was thinking we exact same whilst reading Oaks post.

One thing , I didn't realise was he had joined when he was 5?? 

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

The "Nobodies" please reveal yourselves :lol:

I shall step forward.  Dickson was an utter pest who ruined this forum for long periods by repeatedly making long winded, over bearing, argumentative posts on every thread he could thus ruining any meaningful conversation.  A truly unpleasant character who will undoubtedly be busy poisoning some other part of the internet.

So suddenly Shull liked him eh! I am unsurprised, unsurprised indeed.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Because we now live in a world where the greatest sin is to have a strongly different opinion from others, half the forum appears to have the other half on ignore which means you don't get any engagement. Prior to firing the ignore button, personal abuse was thrown around putting off more moderate posters who have better things to do with their lives than read abusive posts. Those requesting the removal of those with strong opinions (they know exactly who they are) have succeeded in closing them down but now those self same requesters have abandoned the forum through the inevitable subsequent boredom, leaving the place a gutted shell of what it used to be.

I have been on this forum for 12 years and have been one of the more active posters but I hardly ever contribute now for the reasons above. There is rarely anything interesting or stimulating to talk about because the people who used to get involved have either been banned, have moved on or found it impossible to behave like anything other than petulant animals.

I'm actually surprised this isn't obvious to be honest.

I'd take it a step further and say it has become a cosy group for a small number of regular posters to slag off the various parties they either know and like to have banter with, or dislike because their views don't marry in with their own.

The nett result is that new or interested parties with a view or a post they would like to have discussed, get slagged off and decide to dump the site or wander off to another portal that offers an opportunity to discuss it openly. 

I don't get easily offended, so with my relatively thick skin I can take the brickbats, but the desktop warriors of the B&W site, can and do offend new members pretty regularly so it is little wonder that the site can appear too cosy and insular.

39 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

I shall step forward.  Dickson was an utter pest who ruined this forum for long periods by repeatedly making long winded, over bearing, argumentative posts on every thread he could thus ruining any meaningful conversation.  A truly unpleasant character who will undoubtedly be busy poisoning some other part of the internet.

So suddenly Shull liked him eh! I am unsurprised, unsurprised indeed.

My view of him was that he was born with a negative blood group and every post had to be based on that physical element of his being. 

The result was enough (on a regular basis) to p*ss off a large section of the group who regularly visit this site. Yes a pest, but then as I tend to say, you can't chose your neighbours or your relatives and there is always someone worse just around the corner. :o

6 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

My view of him was that he was born with a negative blood group and every post had to be based on that physical element of his being. 

The result was enough (on a regular basis) to p*ss off a large section of the group who regularly visit this site. Yes a pest, but then as I tend to say, you can't chose your neighbours or your relatives and there is always someone worse just around the corner. :o

Indeed , we have the poster who gets banned and then quickly reappears under another name and then gets banned etc. .

14 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

I'd take it a step further and say it has become a cosy group for a small number of regular posters to slag off the various parties they either know and like to have banter with, or dislike because their views don't marry in with their own.

The nett result is that new or interested parties with a view or a post they would like to have discussed, get slagged off and decide to dump the site or wander off to another portal that offers an opportunity to discuss it openly. 

I don't get easily offended, so with my relatively thick skin I can take the brickbats, but the desktop warriors of the B&W site, can and do offend new members pretty regularly so it is little wonder that the site can appear too cosy and insular.

Nothing has changed over the years.

When I first joined there was such a "cosy" group, probably who many yearn after, and were the regular posters who rounded on others who didn't share their views.

Nothing too sinister but still relevant,

Most have moved on, wandered off, aye maybe but there are many reasons people come and go.

The site has always been cosy and insular, with a minority contributing the majority, likeable or not.

If new parties come and leave quickly it shows, IMO, they are not suited to forum life where it is easy to be a desktop warrior but easier to slide off and take the huff when anyone disagrees. 

The "Nobodies" please reveal yourselves [emoji38]
I'm a nobody.

Fwiw I found Dicko funny. He was a wum of the highest order and had people biting at every post. I probably bit too.

His posts generally had a bit of meat to them so even if you didn't agree with them he would explain his view. It wasn't a case of him just giving one line retorts which we see a lot of now and serve little purpose other than to annoy people.

I never had him on ignore.

Do I miss him? No.

Does the forum miss him? Maybe, though no doubt he'll be lurking somewhere.

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, shull said:

Dickson was one of the greatest Posters, but was hounded out by a group of nobodies.

He was papped off to the sin bin by div for criticism of the takeover and in particular misuse of the discretionary fund - ge might even have been right about that one. 

His alter ego Bellside Bud was just banned - for the same reason.

Still waiting for the Ombudsman to take SMiSA to task! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 05/04/2018 at 6:07 PM, faraway saint said:

You recently posted something along the lines that there hasn't been anything worthwhile to debate for months. :blink:

It's a St MIrren football club forum, we are in the best form we have been for many a long year yet you find nothing to say?

You have also been culpable of dishing out "abuse" as you call it. 

Confirms what I've said for a long time, you have no interest in football or sport, you only trot in here to try to lord it over anyone's view who you don't agree with.

TBH you were useful, always need someone who was a figure of fun. 

QED

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

He was papped off to the sin bin by div for criticism of the takeover and in particular misuse of the discretionary fund - ge might even have been right about that one. 

His alter ego Bellside Bud was just banned - for the same reason.

Still waiting for the Ombudsman to take SMiSA to task! 

Was he not banned for calling Craig Storie a sex pest or some such insult?  Opposition to takeovers and discretionary spending does not earn a ban,

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

According to the forum's lord and master, baby cuddler asked for his own account to be deleted and voluntarily left. He then, apparently, went on to the official forum where he was quite promptly banned. His alter ego was then banned from here when he started "doing a Dickson".   

A few of his points may have been valid but he suffered from the old "it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it" syndrome.

Edit: Apparently the "baby cuddler" filter is still on. emoji4.png

He isn't banned from the OS...yet.  He is flying close to it though.