Alex Smith

I hadn’t heard about this until someone told me yesterday that our 1987 cup winning manager is emigrating to Australia, his final game in Scottish football will be against us, and some Saints fans have talked about doing a banner or something. Is he leaving for Australia after the very last game of the season, or the midweek one? Definitely a good idea to do a banner or sing him some songs. Hampden 1987 is forever etched into the fabric of our club, and will never be forgotten by anyone who was there.

Edited by pozbaird

The last game of the season has already been announced by Falkirk as a celebration of the departing Alex Smith.

Really couldn't be a better choice of opponent than ourselves given his history with both clubs. 

Fitting that all, erm, 3 sides of the stadium will give him the warm send off to his well earned retirement that he richly deserves. 

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Cathartic, after those semi final heartbreaks to the Old Firm and Aberdeen in the 1980s. Ghosts exorcised. Forever.

8D2E7DFB-06B6-4459-8DA2-B2732327635E.jpeg

Lovely picture, but where are the black and white ribbons? The clue is in the word Grampian seen through the windscreen!

7 minutes ago, smcc said:

Lovely picture, but where are the black and white ribbons? The clue is in the word Grampian seen through the windscreen!

HAAAA! A Google image search ‘St Mirren 1987 Scottish Cup’ threw this one up with all the others. I never even clocked it!

I won’t delete it - too funny.. if only the photo had shown the blazer badge! Haaaa!

I can get out of this. Just watch.....

Of course, Alex Smith wasn’t just a St Mirren cup winning manager, he also lifted the trophy with Aberdeen (see photo). A true Scottish football legend, well worthy of a good send off before emigrating to Australia....

Smooooooooth or what. :D

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

HAAAA! A Google image search ‘St Mirren 1987 Scottish Cup’ threw this one up with all the others. I never even clocked it!

I won’t delete it - too funny.. if only the photo had shown the blazer badge! Haaaa!

Of course, Alex Smith wasn’t just a St Mirren cup winning manager, he also lifted the trophy with Aberdeen (see photo). A true Scottish football legend, well worthy of a good send off before emigrating to Australia....

Smooooooooth or what. :D

Smooth as sandpaper! :D

Smooooooooth or what. [emoji3]
Good attempt, poz. Dunces' hat for you tho [emoji38]

Maybe a wee song the boys from W7 can introduce tomorrow night and at the Falkirk game.

As most footie songs are adaptations from other teams , you don't need to guess the origin of this one.

Eighty seven

Went all the way to Hampden,

Took over thirty thousand

To see saints lift up

The Scottish cup , 87

Nice tribute to Alex Smith and the team and would be really funny to belt it out at Tannadice tomorrow night just to remind them we've ruined their party on a few occasions

COYS

Alex Smith is a Paisley legend and this support of ours owes Mr Smith a fitting tribute as football loses a true legend.

With our club already Champions the entire day can be one massive celebration and I am sure our young artists can attribute some talent toward a fitting tribute to Mr Alex Smith, Scottish cup winner 1987.

I shall proudly sing a fitting tribute to our former leader..............fly high and fly long Alex