Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
DXBBud

Filling in the Corners

Recommended Posts

Without trying to jump the gun on remaining in the SPL this time next year, and with the increase in home crowds peaking with a sell-outs of the remaining home games, is it time to start thinking about filling in the corners at Greenfield Road?

This is very much a speculate to accumulate issue, but if we can maintain the interest and buzz that is circulating the club from home fans and with the increased numbers that will visit from the ugly sisters, Hibs, Hearts etc. it will be interesting to see how close we get to filling the ground on a more regular basis to justify expanding the stadium one corner at a time, which will count towards returning on the investment.

Edited by DXBBud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

Without trying to jump the gun on remaining in the SPL this time next year, and with the increase in home crowds peaking with a sell-outs of the remaining home games, is it time to start thinking about filling in the corners at Greenfield Road?

This is very much a speculate to accumulate issue, but if we can maintain the interest and buzz that is circulating the club from home fans and with the increased numbers that will visit from the ugly sisters, Hibs, Hearts etc. it will be interesting to see how close we get to filling the ground on a more regular basis to justify expanding the stadium one corner at a time, which will count towards returning on the investment.

No. 

The cost of this speculation would be not even close to seeing a return, EVER.

We've been in the top league before, never sold out as far as I know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

Without trying to jump the gun on remaining in the SPL this time next year, and with the increase in home crowds peaking with a sell-outs of the remaining home games, is it time to start thinking about filling in the corners at Greenfield Road?

This is very much a speculate to accumulate issue, but if we can maintain the interest and buzz that is circulating the club from home fans and with the increased numbers that will visit from the ugly sisters, Hibs, Hearts etc. it will be interesting to see how close we get to filling the ground on a more regular basis to justify expanding the stadium one corner at a time, which will count towards returning on the investment.

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No. 

The cost of this speculation would be not even close to seeing a return, EVER.

We've been in the top league before, never sold out as far as I know.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not expecting to fill the ground week in week out, and i'm not suggesting we do it next week or the club burdens itself with debt that we don't want or need, but the club we have today is a different animal to what we had when we were last in the top flight.

I would imagine when the ground was designed the capacity considered some sort of growth in attendances in the future, just wondered where the tipping point for taking such a step would be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not expecting to fill the ground week in week out, and i'm not suggesting we do it next week or the club burdens itself with debt that we don't want or need, but the club we have today is a different animal to what we had when we were last in the top flight.

I would imagine when the ground was designed the capacity considered some sort of growth in attendances in the future, just wondered where the tipping point for taking such a step would be.

 

I admire your optimism, but, as you say, it, at this moment, and foreseeable future, would be a burden that not even "borrowing" from SMISA would help. 

There would need to be an astounding steady growth, and, barring us challenging for the top league I doubt will EVER happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without knowing the numbers, it's impossible to say whether or not it would be worth filling in some or all of the corners.

If both corners at the away end were filled in and allowed an extra 1500 bigots in at (say) £25 per head, then the guaranteed 3 visits from them would generate an extra £112,500 per season (if we stayed in the top league). The extra stewarding, maintenance, electricity etc would then need to be taken into account.

But, as I said, without knowing the actual figures for everything (or at least ballpark figures), then you can't really say.

I would say, though, that unless it is going to pay for itself over (at most) ten years, it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not expecting to fill the ground week in week out, and i'm not suggesting we do it next week or the club burdens itself with debt that we don't want or need, but the club we have today is a different animal to what we had when we were last in the top flight.

I would imagine when the ground was designed the capacity considered some sort of growth in attendances in the future, just wondered where the tipping point for taking such a step would be.

It's not really. When the team is winning, people come out. In 2006 the last couple of games at home v Dundee and St Johnstone would have been full. In 2000 against Raith it was also packed. 

The reality of the Premiership is that years of the same old and relegation battles don't really make punters come out and attendances will end up in the 3000-4500 range most weeks. 

It's also more affordable to manage demand by jacking the ticket prices than building capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I like the idea in principle..who wouldn't?   Would need to have a growing demand for Season Tickets. Also agree with I

Madball and IOBS that the corners should have other facilities that can raise revenue such as cafe. Offices etc.

 

 

Edited by St.Ricky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

What might work is to fill in the 2 corners of the main stand with comfy corporate hospitality seating behind glass and with access to a  larger dining area and charge at a premium  

Thats not a bad idea as on match days hospitality the rest of the week a good coffee shop. The coffee shop needs to be right to pull in woman who by in large are the biggest day time market in my experience of opening a coffee shop this is the place they meet up with friends wine can be a good seller also  Get the concept right it could be a good income to the club great its good fantastic Parking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have to go back to the late 60's to see regular crowds above 8,000.

Yes when the Glasgow twins turn up, they bring with them their pretty mindless followers who aren't allowed season tickets at their own grounds, and we might then see capacity, but even on a good run and Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts or whoever come to play, 6,000 would be a pretty good crowd.

Average attendances for 2017/18 show that for smaller clubs 6,000 would be a pretty good gate size.

No. Club Average Games vs '17 Highest
1 Celtic FC 58.083 10 6,1% 59.259
2 Rangers FC 49.097 10 -0,1% 50.116
3 Heart of Midlothian FC 19.379 10 18,8% 32.852
4 Hibernian FC Edinburgh 17.634 9 14,6% 20.193
5 Aberdeen FC 15.577 10 25,1% 18.983
6 Dundee FC 6.407 10 0,0% 9.193
7 Motherwell FC 5.857 10 30,6% 9.974
8 Kilmarnock FC 5.344 11 5,5% 11.490
9 Ross County FC 4.667 10 13,7% 6.590
10 St. Johnstone FC 4.641 9 4,7% 6.887
11 Partick Thistle FC 4.641 10 11,7% 8.264
12 Hamilton Academical FC 3.140 9 28,7% 5.400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...