Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

1 hour ago, shull said:

Poor me, you and every Saints fan if Sammy just fulfills his present Contract. 

Can't see him getting an extension. 

He was hardly competent in the Championship. He will be a disaster in the Premiership. 

Hopefully, if he stays for a wee while, he will be number 2 to a decent goalie who never gets injured. 

Wonder why irrelevant mockers like JJ and FTOF love a not very good goalie. 

Easy 

It's a bit like folk having to tolerate a not very good poster I suppose. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It's a bit like folk having to tolerate a not very good poster I suppose. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

I tolerate you dude.

I never skim you.

Now and again, you post summat nearly good.  :)

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This is turning into another of them "he was great " threads, now he's going. 

He, clearly wasn't or we would be keeping him. 

Harsh, Think he was a very good signing for his contribution over the last 18 months and was by and large, good at Championship level.

Think most of us do feel he'd struggle to make the step up in quality so the decision is ultimately correct but I don't think that makes him a bad signing. Quite the opposite.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Harsh, Think he was a very good signing for his contribution over the last 18 months and was by and large, good at Championship level.

Think most of us do feel he'd struggle to make the step up in quality so the decision is ultimately correct but I don't think that makes him a bad signing. Quite the opposite.

A "bit part" player, served a purpose, had his moment, no denying that but was caught out in this league we can't afford that in the top league.

No need to drag up the few good games or few disaster games, he's gone.

We move on and JR obviously thinks we need better. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

A "bit part" player, served a purpose, had his moment, no denying that but was caught out in this league we can't afford that in the top league.

Agreed on the last part.

However, he played an important part over the past 18 months, particularly last season in the run-in. 

Think most folk have a soft spot for him as he was a bit of a character, loved winding other players up and let's be honest, should realistically have been absolutely shite given that we recruited him through the much-mocked LinkedIn advertisement, instead, he turned out to be the very embodiment of what makes a bit of a cult hero in football.

It's not so much folk saying fawning over him and saying 'he was great, we should be keeping him' as it is 'he was great for what we needed at that time'. Which he was.

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

And how many times did you see him play F Man before arriving at this judgement?

Stelios was rightly nicknamed Maverick last season. The two goals against Hibs were a massive step towards survival last season. Definitely a cult hero in that he was defensively shakey but generally given an easier time than others.

A great character to have at the club, it was my sons first year as a regular and Stelios was one of his favourites, same could probably be said for a lot of the younger fans.

Hope he gets sorted somewhere decent, no doubt he’s in a better spot now than he was when we signed him 18 months ago!

35 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

And how many times did you see him play F Man before arriving at this judgement?

I seen him a few times on TV and live in Aberdeen.

I happen to read most of the posts on the forum and I can come to my opinion from there.

There's a belief that just because, say, you happen to go a lot you are an expert.

Far from it. 

PS It seems JR agrees as he generally played him when other options were not available, especially this season. 

Away and question his opinion.  :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I happen to read most of the posts on the forum and I can come to my opinion from there.

There's a belief that just because, say, you happen to go a lot you are an expert.

Far from it. 

PS It seems JR agrees as he generally played him when other options were not available, especially this season. 

I asked a simple question.about how you formed your opinion. I didn't question your opinion. Everyone is entitled to have them.

Edited by St.Ricky

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Far from it. 

Have watched him on TV a few times ?  I read  the forum.  Good for you that should give you a fantastic prospective of Stellios :wacko: 

Oooffffft! Brutal but thanks to all the guys plus the loanees especially Liam Smith & the U20s! :clapping 

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Stelios Demetriou, John Sutton, Gary Irvine, Massimo Donati, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy, Darren Whyte and Nathan Flanagan will leave the club

Clearly Jack Ross is the man with a plan! :notworthy

Oooffffft! Brutal but thanks to all the guys plus the loanees especially Liam Smith & the U20s! :clapping 

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Stelios Demetriou, John Sutton, Gary Irvine, Massimo Donati, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy, Darren Whyte and Nathan Flanagan will leave the club

Clearly Jack Ross is the man with a plan! :notworthy

16 oot, no f**kin aboot

Stellios will always have a very warm welcome to at St Mirren in the video he said its been the most enjoyable and successful part of his career to date. Love the guy and sad to see him leave. 

Totally agree. Always gave 100 %. Lovely guy spoke to him many times at Pro life where he trained and always had time to say hello and ask how i and my family were. Will miss him

1 hour ago, Stu said:

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1849-players-depart-club

Gary Mac, Davis and Reilly the only out of contract ones not mentioned here by my reckoning so presumably they're being offered new deals.

No real surprise there but I can see a deal for Gary Mac being a pay as you play deal considering the amount of games he had missed for us in 2 seasons. All the players release should be able to get a championship club I reckon.

25 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

and a personally think after alloa finish play offs it will be ta ta to Kirkpatrick and Stewart,not good enough for championship so certainly not good enough for spl

Is Stewart not on a longer contract ? I think he's the one young loanee who'll be kept on longer term , there's definitely a player there !

Still looking forward to picking up my Roll & Sausage (veggie) bet from IOBS, that Ross Stewart (striker) will not be playing a league game for us next season. If he had it, (and considering we actually paid a fee for him) then he wouldnt have been punted out on loan and the likes of Mullen also bought to come in.

would expect McShane to agree a mutual, possibly also Gary Mac and/or Bairdy. And if Ross can recruit a bit of height ip front one of Mullen, Reilly or Smith will move on too. My money is on Mullen to move!

Davis and Reilly will be weighing up all offers before committing, would imagine there will be one or two clubs interested in them. Would like them tied up soon, but they might let their contracts run down at end of May/June to gain some leverage.

49 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Still looking forward to picking up my Roll & Sausage (veggie) bet from IOBS, that Ross Stewart (striker) will not be playing a league game for us next season. If he had it, (and considering we actually paid a fee for him) then he wouldnt have been punted out on loan and the likes of Mullen also bought to come in.

would expect McShane to agree a mutual, possibly also Gary Mac and/or Bairdy. And if Ross can recruit a bit of height ip front one of Mullen, Reilly or Smith will move on too. My money is on Mullen to move!

Davis and Reilly will be weighing up all offers before committing, would imagine there will be one or two clubs interested in them. Would like them tied up soon, but they might let their contracts run down at end of May/June to gain some leverage.

Mullen won’t go. We paid a transfer fee and gave him a two and a half year contract. That would be Danny Lennon-esque squad management. 

17 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Mullen won’t go. We paid a transfer fee and gave him a two and a half year contract. That would be Danny Lennon-esque squad management. 

You would think! But Ross did the same with Ross Stewart who we also paid for, and imo he wont be playing a league game for gus next season. Mullen has been getying hooked to be replaced by Reilly who was apparently carrying an injury. If you cant keep an injured man out the side in the championship.....?