Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

1 minute ago, zico said:

When did you see him in action in order to be able to form this opinion?

Zico.

Several times before he went out on loan. First against Albion Rovers, he also made a few cameo appearances.  I also saw him play in under 20's games .

Question answered?

I wouldn't think of giving an opinion on any player I had not watched playing live.

He is skillfull and quick. Less physical than might be needed I agree and needs to develop greater self belief but good to watch.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Mullen won’t go. We paid a transfer fee and gave him a two and a half year contract. That would be Danny Lennon-esque squad management. 

Ah, I see what you've done there. You seem to think you're talking to someone who understands logic and reason.

Jack clearly is a man with a plan... as long as it isn’t Jimmy Bone’s ten-year one, we’ll be fine.

Interesting times ahead. Anyone care to take a stab at naming the St Mirren starting XI who run out of our smart new tunnel in next season’s first game? Nope, me neither!

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Still looking forward to picking up my Roll & Sausage (veggie) bet from IOBS, that Ross Stewart (striker) will not be playing a league game for us next season. If he had it, (and considering we actually paid a fee for him) then he wouldnt have been punted out on loan and the likes of Mullen also bought to come in.

would expect McShane to agree a mutual, possibly also Gary Mac and/or Bairdy. And if Ross can recruit a bit of height ip front one of Mullen, Reilly or Smith will move on too. My money is on Mullen to move!

Davis and Reilly will be weighing up all offers before committing, would imagine there will be one or two clubs interested in them. Would like them tied up soon, but they might let their contracts run down at end of May/June to gain some leverage.

Who knows about Ross Stewart (Who can predict the future?)  - Loads of players go out on loan so that they get games at a higher level than under 20s with their parent club. Guys Like Riordan did that and grew into quite a player before his waster years caught up with him.  Like J & J clearly did, I think RS really has potential - so as well as letting him go and gain better experience, we bought in someone already a bit better, (Mullen) and went on to win the league - that is called good management - the sort that helps you to win awards.  So I don't see any problem with that.  Of course it will be far tougher for RS to get games in the Premiership next season than it would have been in the Championship... my guess is that Goodwin will want RS back - and that may well be in the Championship - further development and then we can judge more appropriately. (Probably Kirkpatrick will be there too) He looks less likely to progress, but who knows...

The ball is in McShane's court as he is under contract, but possible a Livi or Morton might well want him.

Mac and Bairdy (already on deal) will be here next season, as most likely will be Reilly, Smith and Mullen (already on deal) - I and many others don't rate him as badly as you do... but let's see if Jack let's him go, if there is interest or whether he plays a part in our season to come? I suspect if we get a really good striker, he will still be utilised next season...

Edited by Sweeper07
typo

3 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Who knows about Ross Stewart (Who can predict the future?)  - Loads of players go out on load so that they get games a t a higher level than under 20s with their parent club. Guys Like Riordan did that and grew into quite a player before his waster years caught up with him.  Like J & J clearly did, I think RS really has potential - so as well as letting him go and gain better experience, we bought in someone already a bit better, (Mullen) and went on to win the league - that is called good management - the sort that helps you to win awards.  So I don't see any problem with that.  Of course it will be far tougher for RS to get games in the Premiership next season than it would have been in the Championship... my guess is that Goodwin will want RS back - and that may well be in the Championship - further development and then we can judge more appropriately. (Probably Kirkpatrick will be there too) He looks less likely to progress, but who knows...

The ball is in McShane's court as he is under contract, but possible a Livi or Morton might well want him.

Mac and Bairdy (already on deal) will be here next season, as most likely will be Reilly, Smith and Mullen (already on deal) - I and many others don't rate him as badly as you do... but let's see if Jack let's him go, if there is interest or whether he plays a part in our season to come? I suspect if we get a really good striker, he will still be utilised next season...

All about opinions, are we the sort of club who can afford to buy a player and send him out on loan for two seasons hoping he will improve..? I dont think so, big RS will i believe follow the path Josh Todd took and eventually sign for the club he is loaned to. Spoke to a QoS cosch today who says they are really pleased to be signing Todd, good luck to him doon there. And good luck to RS when he goes, he could be playing championship football with Alloa next season if they can crack the play offs this season?

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

All about opinions, are we the sort of club who can afford to buy a player and send him out on loan for two seasons hoping he will improve..? I dont think so, big RS will i believe follow the path Josh Todd took and eventually sign for the club he is loaned to. Spoke to a QoS cosch today who says they are really pleased to be signing Todd, good luck to him doon there. And good luck to RS when he goes, he could be playing championship football with Alloa next season if they can crack the play offs this season?

You may well be right - but that was the point that I gave you an example (Riordan) Some grow, some not enough.  

are we the sort of club who can afford to buy a player and send him out on loan for two seasons hoping he will improve. All signings are a risk - some work out - J & J are right to try different things, it is part of being a management team. Even our youth system costs money in developing players - but that has been working out fairly well in recent seasons

Agree that Todd is a player of some ability - wish him well likewise. 

I agree that the club has done well in announcing departures at the first opportunity. Gives the players as much time as possible to find new clubs. 

Heartfelt thanks to all the players who are leaving for their efforts in getting the club back to the Premiership at the end of such an exciting season. Good luck to them all.  

Special mention to John Sutton who has not played so much recently, but has been with the club long enough to know just how much this season's success has meant to the supporters and who saw his contract out with dignity, never giving less than 100% to the job.

Special mention also to Stelios, who played a big part in our success and formed a real bond with the supporters, despite being with us for just a short time. Great guy! Hope he finds another club quickly.

19 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

There is a player in Ross Stewart first team football out on loan is far better than playing youth football. Players out on loan do all there training at Ralston so Ross has a good eye on the boy I'm sure the boy will make the grade. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There is a player in Ross Stewart first team football out on loan is far better than playing youth football. Players out on loan do all there training at Ralston so Ross has a good eye on the boy I'm sure the boy will make the grade. 

Errr.... i'd wager they do most of their training with the club the are playing for. That is, Unless Morgan has been on day release from Darkhead since January?

looking forward to that Veggie Roll in sausage.. yum.. yum... :D

Edited by Lord Pityme

I've got no problem with the players being released, I just don't get why some of them were signed in the first place. Ross seems to be a bit hit or miss with quite a few of his signings. Fjelde, Storie, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Duffy, Donati, Stewart, Stewart, Todd, McCart, Buchanan, Leitch and Hill all brought in and let go after a period of months of doing very little in terms of first team football. And while it's fair enough to shrug shoulders and say they were squad players it does look like a fair bit of money being wasted. 

I've got to say out of that list the only player I'm sorry to see the back of is Robbie Leitch. Robbie as a kid was at the juvenile side at Wishaw with my son so I've followed his progress with a lot of interest and when he came to St Mirren this season from Burnley I didn't expect him to break into the first team but I did think there was a possibility that he could be an eventual replacement for Morgan. I've been to Hampden to watch him play when he's been out on loan,  Queens Park are also good at putting up extended highlights of their matches too when I haven't been able to make it, and when he's been on the park it's been pretty obvious to me that Queens Park look like a more creative and better side. Leitch has a decent strike rate for a midfielder, he plays with a great deal of intelligence. He's not as fast as Morgan but he's effective and I would have thought that given another year he would have started to break through but I guess promotion means trimming the wage budget to try and get more experienced players in. It's not a shock or a surprise to see him go, but it's a shame and I honestly hope that the lad gets fixed up quickly with a club that will give him his breakthrough. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Errr.... i'd wager they do most of their training with the club the are playing for. That is, Unless Morgan has been on day release from Darkhead since January?

looking forward to that Veggie Roll in sausage.. yum.. yum... :D

If they are at a Part Time club they will be training throughout the week with Saints and joining the training days at the club they are loaned to.

20 minutes ago, StuD said:

I've got no problem with the players being released, I just don't get why some of them were signed in the first place. Ross seems to be a bit hit or miss with quite a few of his signings. Fjelde, Storie, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Duffy, Donati, Stewart, Stewart, Todd, McCart, Buchanan, Leitch and Hill all brought in and let go after a period of months of doing very little in terms of first team football. And while it's fair enough to shrug shoulders and say they were squad players it does look like a fair bit of money being wasted. 

You can only start 11 players every week. If those 11 players don't get injured or suspended much and win a lot of games then the squad players don't get much of a look in. The alternative would have been to not sign squad players and hope that no-one gets injured or suspended!

As an example, your implied suggestion that we shouldn't have signed an experienced back up goalkeeper is absurd! :lol:

And Robbie Leitch???  :lol:

Edited by zico

50 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Stewart has been playing with a part time club though while Morgan has been on loan at a full time club.

I'd therefore wager that you'd probably lose your wager.

36 minutes ago, StuD said:

. Ross seems to be a bit hit or miss with quite a few of his signings. Fjelde, Storie, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Duffy, Donati, Stewart, Stewart, Todd, McCart, Buchanan, Leitch and Hill all brought . 

FFS- Tell me a manager that isn't please. In the History of Football............. another quarter full fan :blink:

43 minutes ago, StuD said:

I've got no problem with the players being released, I just don't get why some of them were signed in the first place. Ross seems to be a bit hit or miss with quite a few of his signings. Fjelde, Storie, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Duffy, Donati, Stewart, Stewart, Todd, McCart, Buchanan, Leitch and Hill all brought in and let go after a period of months of doing very little in terms of first team football.

McCart was an emergency loan when we were down to 1 CB :huh:

Stewart (GK) hasn't had much chance as Samson has been decent all season, and hasn't been injured or suspended.

Buchanan was alright, scored goals (we've missed him at set pieces since he left) and my reckoning is he was part of a swap (plus cash?) deal to get Mullen in. Hence why Donati was then brought in, mainly just as extra cover, JR wanted to prioritise other areas once we were back to 4 fit CBs.

Hill (like Donati) was brought over in January when we were playing well. Only Flynn and Mullen has managed to gain a place in the starting XI from the Jan signings.

A few on here believe there's a talented player in Todd and he's just been unlucky with injuries during his time in Paisley.

As for the others, no manager is perfect. I think the fact that Jack took us from "club on the way to League One" to "club heading to the SPL) shows that his signings generally are on the money.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint
Put a ) instead of "

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

FFS- Tell me a manager that isn't please. In the History of Football............. another quarter full fan :blink:

Thats thirteen players there, only one loanee, and there are more! I think people will get a surprise when they see how much the playing budget has swollen in the next set of accounts. Dont think there will be that much to choose between us and Dun Utd.