Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

10 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Even Flanagan at Elgin? That's a lot of travelling every week.

I think perhaps a few haven't thought through what they are suggesting?

lets assume that Stewart & co arent reporting to Ralston on matchdays ( saturday) and get two days off a week.

that leaves four days, of which Alloa will probably train three evenings. Is Stewart doing a full stint at Ralston on those days? Doubt it.

so most likely if they do check in every week its for one, max two sessions. Also got to figure in why on earth Alloa would pay his wages when he could be picking up injuries/fatigue training at Ralston?

I think perhaps a few haven't thought through what they are suggesting?
lets assume that Stewart & co arent reporting to Ralston on matchdays ( saturday) and get two days off a week.
that leaves four days, of which Alloa will probably train three evenings. Is Stewart doing a full stint at Ralston on those days? Doubt it.
so most likely if they do check in every week its for one, max two sessions. Also got to figure in why on earth Alloa would pay his wages when he could be picking up injuries/fatigue training at Ralston?

Alloa train 2 nights a week - from Jim Goodwin himself on Alba. Sometimes it's better just to admit you're wrong.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Errr.... i'd wager they do most of their training with the club the are playing for. That is, Unless Morgan has been on day release from Darkhead since January?

looking forward to that Veggie Roll in sausage.. yum.. yum... :D

Jack Ross said on a buddie vision interview that players out on loan do their training at Ralston it is important to him and loan players they feel very much part of the club. How much do you want to wager :D

48 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Alloa train 2 nights a week - from Jim Goodwin himself on Alba. Sometimes it's better just to admit you're wrong.

Heard Goody saying that too, indeed most part time teams train 2 evenings per week, and less if they have games scheduled during the week. Players are responsible for their own fitness outside of those sessions and loaning club will want to make sure their player, particularly if they have a possible return, is kept fit so does often provide training.

Funnily enough just saw the Utilita Football tweet regarding most powerful shot. Featuring McShane, Hill, Kirkpatrick and Hippolyte. These players were not all around at the same time as Hippolyte joined at end of Jan, yet Hill and Kirkpatrick had their respective loans in and out confirmed mid Jan. The video show players wrapped up warm so it is obviously not current, so the implication is that Kirkpatrick is training with the club when on loan.

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

So that's still, if they do check in every week, once or twice tops. Thanks for clearing that up bud.

Edited by Lord Pityme

42 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Jack Ross said on a buddie vision interview that players out on loan do their training at Ralston it is important to him and loan players they feel very much part of the club. How much do you want to wager :D

You think the club paying their wages just has them turn up on matchdays and have a blast..? Has Morgan, Hill and Smith been away all week, every week since they were loaned to us too?

27 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

You think the club paying their wages just has them turn up on matchdays and have a blast..? Has Morgan, Hill and Smith been away all week, every week since they were loaned to us too?

The players we have put on loan to part time clubs have done the bulk of their training with ourselves. I know that as a fact from one of the players.

Unfortunately you are wrong on this one. It’s ok though.

30 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Your not quite getting this I'm quoting what Jack Ross said not what you are ( thinking ) 

21 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your not quite getting this I'm quoting what Jack Ross said not what you are ( thinking ) 

So Jack Ross has said that Stewart etc train full time with SMFC? And then just turn up matchdays at Alloa etc not knowing any of their drills, set piece plays or indeed having had the opportunity to actually practice with their team mates..?

well that would explain Ross Stewart running around like a headless chicken, but what about the others? Lol...

Given Celtic, and Hearts would consider they had far superior training, one on one coaching, physios, sport science set ups etc then i suppose given our loanees train with us, then their guys Morgan, Smith and Hill, would following that logic be training at their parent clubs full time too...

i have no doubt our loanees check in every week, but it would seem bizarre that they dont attend their loan clubs training. But if Ross says thats what it is, then who am i to argue with the Manager of the year.

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So Jack Ross has said that Stewart etc train full time with SMFC? And then just turn up matchdays at Alloa etc not knowing any of their drills, set piece plays or indeed having had the opportunity to actually practice with their team mates..?

well that would explain Ross Stewart running around like a headless chicken, but what about the others? Lol...

Given Celtic, and Hearts would consider they had far superior training, one on one coaching, physios, sport science set ups etc then i suppose given our loanees train with us, then their guys Morgan, Smith and Hill, would following that logic be training at their parent clubs full time too...

i have no doubt our loanees check in every week, but it would seem bizarre that they dont attend their loan clubs training. But if Ross says thats what it is, then who am i to argue with the Manager of the year.

As above post. 

I’d imagine they might train with their part time clubs on the nights those clubs train on.

You think the club just allows them 3 or 4 free days a week?

4 hours ago, zico said:

Stewart has been playing with a part time club though while Morgan has been on loan at a full time club.

I'd therefore wager that you'd probably lose your wager.

Indeed.

Goodwin was interviewed on BBC Alba and said that Alloa only trained once a week.

The rest of the week Stewart trained with us.

So you're correct and funnily enough, someone else is wrong. Although, I'm sure that he'll claim otherwise.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:08 AM, renfrew said:

No real surprise there but I can see a deal for Gary Mac being a pay as you play deal considering the amount of games he had missed for us in 2 seasons. All the players release should be able to get a championship club I reckon.

Pay as you play?.  if he considers himself capable then how could he consider that?

How many of those deals have we ever offered?  

17 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

You think the club paying their wages just has them turn up on matchdays and have a blast..? 

I've got a mate who used to play for Elgin and that's exactly what happened. He trained by himself during the week and just turned up on matchdays.

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Harry has been offered a new contract. He seems happy here so hopefully he signs it.

I thought we already had an option to sign him for next season - is the new contract an extension or better terms?

From the OS 

He signed a permanent deal with St Mirren in August - penning an initial one-year deal with a further year option.

20 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thats thirteen players there, only one loanee, and there are more! I think people will get a surprise when they see how much the playing budget has swollen in the next set of accounts. Dont think there will be that much to choose between us and Dun Utd.

Well apart from the fact we are in the Premier League and they aren't

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The option did not automatically kick in as he had not played the required number of games so effectively he is out of contract.

well that is a major glitch, given the risk we took with him we should have doubled up on the protection as we knew he was out for several weeks before we even signed him.  We have effectively landed ourselves in a potential bidding war that could have been avoided.

re-thinking this, is it not the case that the club already has the option and can elect to not take it up?  The player then has to earn the guarantee of an option by holding up his end of the deal?

Edited by beyond our ken