Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

58 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Pay as you play?.  if he considers himself capable then how could he consider that?

How many of those deals have we ever offered?  

Don't think the club had ever offered anybody that and I did word my post badly.  I was meaning a small wage with an increase if he is in the match day squad. He had misses around half of our games in the 2 years he had been with us, so I feel his basic pay would need to reflect that. As it is, I don't think he will be offered a new deal anyway.

9 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

well that is a major glitch, given the risk we took with him we should have doubled up on the protection as we knew he was out for several weeks before we even signed him.  We have effectively landed ourselves in a potential bidding war that could have been avoided.

re-thinking this, is it not the case that the club already has the option and can elect to not take it up?  The player then has to earn the guarantee of an option by holding up his end of the deal?

No idea of terms and conditions but I am fairly confident Harry will be with us for another year at least.

5 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Don't think the club had ever offered anybody that and I did word my post badly.  I was meaning a small wage with an increase if he is in the match day squad. He had misses around half of our games in the 2 years he had been with us, so I feel his basic pay would need to reflect that. As it is, I don't think he will be offered a new deal anyway.

He wasn't in the Released List on Monday so I presume there's discussions going on.

At 32-y-o and having played only 18 games last season I wouldn't see bigger clubs rushing to get him.

Standard (for us) one year deal seems fair to both parties - if he can do better elsewhere then good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Harry has been offered a new contract. He seems happy here so hopefully he signs it.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I thought we already had an option to sign him for next season - is the new contract an extension or better terms?

From the OS 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

The option did not automatically kick in as he had not played the required number of games so effectively he is out of contract.

Hold up.... all this cant be true...?

i was assured by several posters that all the club had to do was tell Harry he was staying for another year and thats, that..!

could it be that the much fabled extension clause was indeed by mutual consent, and not imposed, or not by the club..?

lovin this one .. lol.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hold up.... all this cant be true...?

i was assured by several posters that all the club had to do was tell Harry he was staying for another year and thats, that..!

could it be that the much fabled extension clause was indeed by mutual consent, and not imposed, or not by the club..?

lovin this one .. lol.

It's a bit sad when you get to the self-loathing stage.

Best to give Saints up and find a new hobby!

Think Davis was only a handful of games short of meeting the clause - if he'd played the three games on artificial pitches he'd probably have triggered it.
Would that likely mean if he signed, he won't play at Killie or the accies ?

1 minute ago, renfrew said:
41 minutes ago, Stu said:
Think Davis was only a handful of games short of meeting the clause - if he'd played the three games on artificial pitches he'd probably have triggered it.

Would that likely mean if he signed, he won't play at Killie or the accies ?

I like Davis but my thoughts are that that he wouldn't andHearts  are laying a new hybrid pitch

22 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thats thirteen players there, only one loanee, and there are more! I think people will get a surprise when they see how much the playing budget has swollen in the next set of accounts. Dont think there will be that much to choose between us and Dun Utd.

The surprise I would get is if our wage budget this season is anywhere near Dundee United's.

I'd wager that it's nowhere near close.

1 minute ago, zico said:

The surprise I would get is if our wage budget this season is anywhere near Dundee United's.

I'd wager that it's nowhere near close.

We'll see in December. In the meantime consider the two players we have paid fees for, the early releases from contract and the sheer number of player turnover.

Rumours of O’Ware from Morton would be a good signing. We should just go and get quitongo on the cheap as well. Take the gamble, he has all the attributes but does get injured a lot however if he’s on a low wage just bring him in as he’s proven to be a handful for any defence any time I’ve seen him. Morton will be easy to deal with now Duffy is gone

5 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
32 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
I like Davis but my thoughts are that that he wouldn't andHearts  are laying a new hybrid pitch

He played on a hybrid pitch at Celtic Park last season.

Thanks EAB.

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

well that is a major glitch, given the risk we took with him we should have doubled up on the protection as we knew he was out for several weeks before we even signed him.  We have effectively landed ourselves in a potential bidding war that could have been avoided.

re-thinking this, is it not the case that the club already has the option and can elect to not take it up?  The player then has to earn the guarantee of an option by holding up his end of the deal?

I believe that to be the case BoK, Davis would have been guaranteed an extra season had he played a certain number of games as it would have automatically triggered his extension. As he didn't the club now have the choice on whether to keep him or not. That's how it was explained to me anyway and I think Davis said something similar on "Buddievision" and also that he hoped it would happen as his family are happy here (that was certainly my daughters take on the interview).

Maybe the club are using his second season as a bargaining chip and re-negotiating to get him to effectively have a third season here ie a two year deal from now.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

In the meantime consider the two players we have paid fees for, the early releases from contract and the sheer number of player turnover.

Considered it all and I'd be amazed if our budget was anywhere Dundee United's.

1 minute ago, zico said:

Considered it all and I'd be amazed if our budget was anywhere Dundee United's.

Their budget was boosted by the parachute payment they got on coming down. Their budget problems kick in if they don't get promoted this year. That's the risk they have taken. They released a million by transferring the ownership of the training ground to a director who intends to become the majority owner and then pay back the million to himself. No point in the money lying I'm the bank at zero or close to zero interest. 

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Their budget was boosted by the parachute payment they got on coming down. Their budget problems kick in if they don't get promoted this year.

Two issues with your post.

1. Its nonsense.

2. Its irrelevant to my post