Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

Reilly obviously doesn’t fancy being a squad player. He wasn’t first choice when it was just him and Mullen.

I expect and hope we will sign at least two first team strikers in the summer, preferably with proven goal scoring records in the Scottish Premiership.

So if Gavin couldn’t get a start when it was just him and Danny Mullen, where’s he going to figure when there’s 2 more strikers to compete with?

18 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Reilly obviously doesn’t fancy being a squad player. He wasn’t first choice when it was just him and Mullen.

I expect and hope we will sign at least two first team strikers in the summer, preferably with proven goal scoring records in the Scottish Premiership.

So if Gavin couldn’t get a start when it was just him and Danny Mullen, where’s he going to figure when there’s 2 more strikers to compete with?

You also expected and hoped that we'd sign 2 more 'proven' strikers before the start of last season after we signed Reilly otherwise we had no hope and told everyone that Reilly was sh1te. :lol:

Edited by zico

The absolute number one priority is for us to get the manager's situation sorted out over the next few days so that we can get on with recruitment through Jack or the next manager. Personally I think it is the right time and Ipswich is the right club  for Jack to move to but it needs to happen now because we need to be looking after our own interests as well.

Disappointing to lose Harry but these things happen. Crucial player over the last 18 months. One of the legends who knuckled down and helped save our club from league one and then sticking around to drop us back off in the top flight before going.

Must feel great to have that on your CV.

Neither Jack nor Harry will be forgotten by Saints fans for what they have done for our club. You don't need to win Cups to be legends.

Edited by oaksoft

Reilly was carrying an injury for most of the run in.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I wonder how long Reilly will be given to consider his contract offer. A week? Two weeks?

JR doesn't mess about, so I imagine he'll be looking for an answer sooner rather than later.

The game is playing - Reilly wants an improved offer and in the meantime his agent is touting him about. Jack too will be trying to persuade a better replacement to come...

Whichever falls first determines the next step...

5 hours ago, Drew said:

I wonder how long Reilly will be given to consider his contract offer. A week? Two weeks?

JR doesn't mess about, so I imagine he'll be looking for an answer sooner rather than later.

Maybe Reilly's on a well earned holiday for a few weeks , thinking things over and waiting to see what Jack does?

58 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

Maybe Reilly's on a well earned holiday for a few weeks , thinking things over and waiting to see what Jack does?

I am all for a player liking a manager but it’s not him that pays the wages. If Jack leaves and Reilly doesn’t sign will he get a better deal elsewhere? Remember, he wasn’t a success last time in the top league, so unless he has been approach by a ‘bigger’ club interested in him any delay is a gamble.

5 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

His wife has just had a baby.

I don't think holiday is the correct word to describe his current break.:lol:

4 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

I am all for a player liking a manager but it’s not him that pays the wages. If Jack leaves and Reilly doesn’t sign will he get a better deal elsewhere? Remember, he wasn’t a success last time in the top league, so unless he has been approach by a ‘bigger’ club interested in him any delay is a gamble.

It may be a gamble for him but one he might be prepared to take. However he played last time in the top is slightly irrelevant as was his last season in the Championship as he showed us and others he is very good at this level. One thing is certain if Reilly doesn't sign we need 3/4 new strikers as Mullan won't cut it in the top league.

1 hour ago, Jack the lad said:

It may be a gamble for him but one he might be prepared to take. However he played last time in the top is slightly irrelevant as was his last season in the Championship as he showed us and others he is very good at this level. One thing is certain if Reilly doesn't sign we need 3/4 new strikers as Mullan won't cut it in the top league.

Gav did a good job for us but that was at Championship level. He hasn't shown us and others he is very good at top level - yet. You can only compare him based on previous.  He is older and more experienced so maybe he is ready for the step up (with us or another club). Time will tell.

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

Gav did a good job for us but that was at Championship level. He hasn't shown us and others he is very good at top level - yet. You can only compare him based on previous.  He is older and more experienced so maybe he is ready for the step up (with us or another club). Time will tell.

His last Championship season before us was hardly anything special either, then he started banging in the goals for us. Hopefully we will see the same difference in the SPL if he stays.

3 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

Nothing will change regarding 8 to 9 players coming in. The new manager will see the list and decided from there. Mullan's record is not bad in full games played there is a player in him. We are a small club who can't compete for the best strikers as they are always sucked up by the bigger clubs. Clammy Smith , Mullan and hopefully Reilly is not a bad start but agree another striker is needed. Wonder if Jack will make a move for Josh and Stevie for sure they could play for Ipswish. I hope not.