How many seats do the bigots get ?

24 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

If you provide a purpose-built stadium with the 21st biggest overall capacity in Scotland, it is no surprise that you end up in a predicament like this.

Our Chief Executive claims that we are amongst the top four/six team in Scotland and yet the likes of Edinburgh City, Queens Park Youth Team, Morton, Ayr United, Airdrie, Raith Rovers, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Motherwell, Livingston, Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle, can all accommodate more fans than us.

So in the meantime when we are playing the 2 bigot sisters at Greenhill Road next season, we hand over the competitive advantage to them at the expense of our own supporters.

It's frightening to think what will happen when we actually win the SPL!

Oh you super optimist you! 

3 hours ago, madball said:

Could also be read as our 1st home game won't be against one of the bigot brothers, although might not be the 1st game of the season

Yes it's an odd one wording wise. The text can be interpreted as you describe but said text is underneath a heading of MATCHDAY ONE. To me that implies they are talking about the first game of the season.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Totally missed the point... WHY did we not even try to increase our own support first, building on the increased support and optomism?
Not even touched on.
The press release simply appeases the people who were already fully in support of the decision.

Did you ever get a reply to your e-mail from Tony ?

2 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I didn't email about this.
The decision had already been made so no point.

I didn't get a reply or acknowledgement to my previous email which was about ba different matter and was actually a very positive one.

I was meaning the 1 about why the club didn't try and boost the home support before giving over the stand.

I was meaning the 1 about why the club didn't try and boost the home support before giving over the stand.
As I said, the decision had already been made.

I accepted it but in appropriate threads have voiced my displeasure that trying to boost the home crowd wasn't at least tried first.

Isn't that what a discussion forum is for?

Emailing the club, as today's statement proved, would have achieved absolutely nothing.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, BuddieinEK said:

I'm still waiting on a reply to my last email to him which was very positive and contained what i thought was a very positive suggestion that would have cost the club nothing but generated positive publicity!

Totally patched!

This was the e-mail I was meaning.

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Totally missed the point... WHY did we not even try to increase our own support first, building on the increased support and optomism?
Not even touched on.
The press release simply appeases the people who were already fully in support of the decision.

I tend to be in East Kilbride's camp on this one , in that we might have missed a trick in not trying to build our own season ticket sales first but also acknowledge that the board found themselves between a rock and a hard place on this one and for some reason decided to make the easy (financial) decision.  It is a business and as the statement says and I find myself agreeing that there is a clear correlation between finance and finishing positions.  Rather than look up where this is perhaps obvious,  look down at the Championship and below and each of us can see how crowd size (which forms the biggest slice of income for most) tends to match position in the 42 club structures.  Some blips happen..... If they didn't then we would not have won this year's Championship as United, Dunfermline and Falkirk brought in more spectators than we did,  although we closed the gap a bit in the closing games.  So...... Yes.. I would have preferred to at least try to fill the  stands with enough Saints Fans to make giving any of the home ends space away but the pragmatist in me says... OK... I don't like it... But I get it. 

I support the club in this decision. The Family Stand only has approximately 300 season tickets I believe - I very much doubt any campaign would have added significant numbers to allow for the OF to be restricted to one stand.

I do agree that there's a lot more we can be doing to increase attendances. But ultimately, its continued success on the park that can drive these numbers substantially.

The club has taken a decision which increases our revenue, causes inconvenience to the smallest number of people possible, whilst compensating them with discounted season tickets and match day tickets. I don't like it, but think it's the right thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

OK, back on topic.

How could we have tried to increase our season ticket sales if the price if a season ticket for the south stand depends on whether or not it includes games against Celtic and Sevco.

What if they had sold season tickets for the south stand at the full rate, and for all games, then discovered that not enough season tickets had been bought and decided that the bigots could have the south stand as an overflow and our own season ticket holders would have to move?

There would have been an uproar, and quite rightly so. Far more than there is just now when everyone knows where they stand before they part with their cash.

Nail hit on the head.

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

OK, back on topic.

How could we have tried to increase our season ticket sales if the price if a season ticket for the south stand depends on whether or not it includes games against Celtic and Sevco.

What if they had sold season tickets for the south stand at the full rate, and for all games, then discovered that not enough season tickets had been bought and decided that the bigots could have the south stand as an overflow and our own season ticket holders would have to move?

There would have been an uproar, and quite rightly so. Far more than there is just now when everyone knows where they stand before they part with their cash.

Slarti

I think you ask a very good question and raise some valid difficulties which would have been required So far I am with you all the way. 

Where we differ is when it comes to the question of were there workable alternatives that could be tried in time.. The clubs answer was no. 

I think that a number of people felt/feel differently but we will now never know. 

5 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

If you provide a purpose-built stadium with the 21st biggest overall capacity in Scotland, it is no surprise that you end up in a predicament like this.

Our Chief Executive claims that we are amongst the top four/six team in Scotland and yet the likes of Edinburgh City, Queens Park Youth Team, Morton, Ayr United, Airdrie, Raith Rovers, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Motherwell, Livingston, Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle, can all accommodate more fans than us.

So in the meantime when we are playing the 2 bigot sisters at Greenhill Road next season, we hand over the competitive advantage to them at the expense of our own supporters.

It's frightening to think what will happen when we actually win the SPL!

I dont see how we will be handing them an advantage, the two big stands hold approx two thousand more than the two ends , if its a sell out we should have the most fans , i dont think either of them will fill both stands anyway .

I have said on previous threads that i dont believe the bigots should get the south stand , if we had the support and the money i would give them 10% of the total capacity ...Maximum ! But the hard fact is, we cant sell three sides of the ground when the ugly sisters come calling and if we can get extra income from them , then so be it. I have also said i would like to see them placed in the North side of the Main stand if possible.

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I dont see how we will be handing them an advantage, the two big stands hold approx two thousand more than the two ends , if its a sell out we should have the most fans , i dont think either of them will fill both stands anyway .

I have said on previous threads that i dont believe the bigots should get the south stand , if we had the support and the money i would give them 10% of the total capacity ...Maximum ! But the hard fact is, we cant sell three sides of the ground when the ugly sisters come calling and if we can get extra income from them , then so be it. I have also said i would like to see them placed in the North side of the Main stand if possible.

Stats show Celtic average 4,000 away Fans and I think Rangers 3,600

As inconvenient to some / many as it is, this decision on two stand allocation is as a result of St mirren support failure to turn out in the requisite numbers over time. IMO club can justify the call quite easily.

Hard fact is Money talks.

Never sold out since our move. Frighteningly that was almost ten years ago now [emoji50] and saw the record attendance, at home to Killie !!!

6 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

What happens if we draw them in a cup tie and take them to penalty kicks,  do we take the pens in front of there fans or the other end in front of their other fans  :wacko: 

No mate

They will ask all the fans in the South to swap seats with the West stand:whistle

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The stands behind the goals are closer to where the real action takes place - ie. scoring goals. If you have a hostile crowd both halves of the match at both ends of the pitch, this IMO is hardly helping your cause. This is particularly the case with a penalty and especially a penalty shoot-out situation in a cup tie.

However, I also agree with Seaside Nipper in a subsequent post that one of the reasons for this situation arising in the first place is that not enough St Mirren fans turn up to support their team.

We badly need to encourage more fans to get involved rather than put up with a stadium that has capacity limitations. This to me seems like planning for failure rather than success.

Edited by northstbuddie

The stands behind the goals are closer to where the real action takes place - ie. scoring goals. If you have a hostile crowd both halves of the match at both ends of the pitch, this IMO is hardly helping your cause. This is particularly the case with a penalty and especially a penalty shoot-out situation in a cup tie.
However, I also agree with Seaside Nipper in a subsequent post that one of the reasons for this situation arising in the first place is that not enough St Mirren fans turn up to support their team.
We badly need to encourage more fans to get involved rather than put up with a stadium that has capacity limitations. This to me seems like planning for failure rather than success.
Agree that we need to attract more fans. We are not alone in that. Most stadiums in Scotland operate well below capacity. Some put this down to price..some to the standard on view..Others to people following alternative pursuits compared to the past. Most cite following a winning team. I have posted elsewhere on our rising crowds over the past three years and I would expect them to rise by 1000 or so a game in 2018/2019. Depending on which other teams are in the league then we will be around 8th or 9th best supported club. Reach the top 6 and we could move up to 6th or 7th. No higher because of ground size.

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:03 AM, Seaside Nipper said:

As inconvenient to some / many as it is, this decision on two stand allocation is as a result of St mirren support failure to turn out in the requisite numbers over time. IMO club can justify the call quite easily.

Hard fact is Money talks.

Never sold out since our move. Frighteningly that was almost ten years ago now emoji50.png and saw the record attendance, at home to Killie !!!

On 6/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, shetland said:

Yep..... it's up to our fans to buy out the seats.  Question (without judgement)  . Have you got your season ticket yet? If not don't blame the club for this decision.