Jack Ross

3 hours ago, StuD said:

And now I've answered you directly someone will complain that I've turned a thread about Jack Ross into one about me when in truth apart from this post I've been bang on topic. Jack Ross shouldn't win manager of the year. The second biggest wage budget in the division, 8 league defeats - including two against third bottom Falkirk, and one against part timers Dumbarton, plus hammerings against Morton, Livingston, Partick Thistle, Aberdeen and Raith Rovers are hardly a marker for top boss. No-one can deny the turn around in St Mirren since January 2017 and the success Jack Ross has had, but it doesn't even begin to compare against the achievement in the current football season of Stevie Clarke and Neil Lennon - or for that matter David Hopkin. 

Once again. You do not know this.

You cannot and will not at any point, be able to back this assertion up with cold hard facts. Simple as that.

13 hours ago, StuD said:

Yep, and won 4 more matches than Hibs too. But no-one on here was claiming that Neil Lennon should be manager of the year last year either. 

Jack Ross has done well. There's no argument about that. But he's done well with a side that has the second highest playing budget in the division - 3rd highest last season.  Yet despite that over the course of the season St Mirren have been beaten by Livingston x 2, Partick, Morton, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Dundee United x 2, Dumbarton, Aberdeen, and Falkirk and in some of those matches St Mirren have been absolutely hammered. 

Personally I think Neil Lennon or Stevie Clarke deserve the award this year. Clarke has turned around a sinking club and done an incredible job, Lennon has turned around Hibs over a much longer period and he's kept the momentum going this season. 

Aw ffs, I go away for the day and had a good time just to come back to this pish again :snore

Domestic success for Celtic in a 1 team league is nothing. Even winning back to back trebles is nothing, even though it’s never been done before.

The gap between Celtic and the rest is bigger than it’s ever been.

Kenny Rogers success at Celtic can only be measured against how they do in Europe.

And then n that measure, Kenny Rogers has been awful.

Indeed, last season he masterminded the worst result in the club’s entire history.

The fool shouldn’t even have got a nomination.
Say what you like about Kenny Rodgers but I for one have always respected the fact he was a gambler.

Love that tune.

Brendan? Not so much.

11 hours ago, StuD said:

No, I didn't ask Div to "block" my previous account. I told him to delete it. That is 100% the truth. 

You asked how long it would be before I asked Div to "empty me out yet again".  I have only requested my account be deleted once in all the years I've posted on the internet. A far more regular occurrence was for members of this forum pleading with Div to get rid of me before I drove all the traffic away. You even got members claiming they'd never post again unless I was got rid of who didn't post again once I'd gone. 

And now I've answered you directly someone will complain that I've turned a thread about Jack Ross into one about me when in truth apart from this post I've been bang on topic. Jack Ross shouldn't win manager of the year. The second biggest wage budget in the division, 8 league defeats - including two against third bottom Falkirk, and one against part timers Dumbarton, plus hammerings against Morton, Livingston, Partick Thistle, Aberdeen and Raith Rovers are hardly a marker for top boss. No-one can deny the turn around in St Mirren since January 2017 and the success Jack Ross has had, but it doesn't even begin to compare against the achievement in the current football season of Stevie Clarke and Neil Lennon - or for that matter David Hopkin. 

Thing is Stuart you have always got to throw a negative spin into the mix when it comes to St Mirren .  Jack Ross will not win it It's a huge compliment that he is in the frame.  We are a club who operates with in its means we finished 7th last year so prize money was low plus gates were quite low for a good part of last season so can i ask a question ? Show us factual facts that we had the second largest budget in the league. Please don't give us a full page of hot air put the facts up. 

24 minutes ago, renfrew said:

In our league, we won more games, won more points, scored more goals, lost fewer goals and nobody lost less games that us. That is why Jack Ross is in the frame for Manager of the Year  :thumbs2

Agreed.

All the fluster about budgets, best team wins the league.

Does that mean the best manager, not so clear cut but, as you say, brilliant recognition for our manager to be in the same breath as the other managers. 

12 hours ago, StuD said:

No, I didn't ask Div to "block" my previous account. I told him to delete it. That is 100% the truth. 

You asked how long it would be before I asked Div to "empty me out yet again".  I have only requested my account be deleted once in all the years I've posted on the internet. A far more regular occurrence was for members of this forum pleading with Div to get rid of me before I drove all the traffic away. You even got members claiming they'd never post again unless I was got rid of who didn't post again once I'd gone. 

After you stopped posting, the need for so many of us pointing out what an asshole you continually made of yourself disappeared. You do have something in common with LPM.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not bothered which manager called Rodgers wins manager of the year. To those suggesting Ross shows up better than Clarke or Lennon I would say lets see where we stand in the Prem at the end of next season if Ross is still here. Then you will get a fair benchmark of like for like achievements.

Aye, but what about the budgets for these teams? :wink:

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not bothered which manager called Rodgers wins manager of the year. To those suggesting Ross shows up better than Clarke or Lennon I would say lets see where we stand in the Prem at the end of next season if Ross is still here. Then you will get a fair benchmark of like for like achievements.

Lennon has 14, 000 and above going through Easter Road  compare that with Ross averaging 4, 000 our gate. It's not rocket science who can get the better quality player and you  want to compare Ross with Lennon next season. I won't compare Ross to anyone because success for me will be avoiding relegation after that we then have premiership payments giving us a competitive edge. 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Lennon has 14, 000 and above going through Easter Road  compare that with Ross averaging 4, 000 our gate. It's not rocket science who can get the better quality player and you  want to compare Ross with Lennon next season. I won't compare Ross to anyone because success for me will be avoiding relegation after that we then have premiership payments giving us a competitive edge. 

But Falkirk, Dunfermline and Dundee United had more going through the gates than us....................:blink:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

But Falkirk, Dunfermline and Dundee United had more going through the gates than us....................:blink:

No idea what your point is premiership teams end the season with millions in payments we are going up with £500,000 there abouts that's my point to L.P. who wants to compare Ross with Lonnon  next season who also have a support 4 to 5 times bigger than we have or let's put it in simple terms their resources are hugely bigger than ours. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

No idea what your point is premiership teams end the season with millions in payments we are going up with £500,000 there abouts that's my point to L.P. who wants to compare Ross with Lonnon  next season who also have a support 4 to 5 times bigger than we have or let's put it in simple terms their resources are hugely bigger than ours. 

FFS, the point you're making is there is a direct link between income and where teams finish in the league.

We have less support than the 3 teams I mentioned yet we finished above them.

Income IS a factor, for the umpteenth time, but not a guarantee of success.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

FFS, the point you're making is there is a direct link between income and where teams finish in the league.

:wacko:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The point IoB is getting at is that LPM is directly comparing Ross to Lennon for next season. Hibs fans would have expected a quick return to the top 6 as one of Scotland's bigger clubs. Any season we make the Top 6 would be an excellent achievement. Falkirk and Pars are clubs we would place ourselves on a similar level to, Dundee United f**ked up in a league they should have won.

What I'm trying to say is IoB is right to question LPM on comparing what Ross does next season to Lennon this season. Hibs being Top 6 is no surprise, perhaps what is surprising is how close they are to 2nd. None of us expect a Top 6 finish next season. Lennon's budget on promotion would dwarf what we have going into next season.

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The point IoB is getting at is that LPM is directly comparing Ross to Lennon for next season. Hibs fans would have expected a quick return to the top 6 as one of Scotland's bigger clubs. Any season we make the Top 6 would be an excellent achievement. Falkirk and Pars are clubs we would place ourselves on a similar level to, Dundee United f**ked up in a league they should have won.

What I'm trying to say is IoB is right to question LPM on comparing what Ross does next season to Lennon this season. Hibs being Top 6 is no surprise, perhaps what is surprising is how close they are to 2nd. None of us expect a Top 6 finish next season. Lennon's budget on promotion would dwarf what we have going into next season.

I'm not comparing us to Hibs or Lennon. :blink:

As for Hibs fans expecting a quick return, that's quite an assumption as I was with a die hard Hibs fan yesterday who, at the start of the season, was aiming for around 6th in the first season. 

There's been umpteen posts clearly relating income to success, as is IOBS.

If that was the case we wouldn't have won this championship.

I really don't give a feck, hope Clarke wins it, done superb on a limited budget. :rolleyes:

Oh, the highlighted bit, wrong, although I'm in agreement. :P

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not comparing us to Hibs or Lennon. :blink:

That was the point, that's what LPM is doing hence IoB's comments :P

Definitely with you on Clarke. He hasn't even had the full season yet they are 5th...if he was there from the start he could have had them fighting for 2nd. He's the clear winner in my eyes.

All 4 Contenders have a fair case to be crowned Manager of The Year.

In ascending order of Budgets.

Jack Ross has had an amazing impact over the past 18 months. No question that he is the outstanding manager in the Championship and merits his place in the list. 

I wouldn't go for Steve Clarke. If he remains at Killie through next season and continues the form they have shown then he would have a solid case.

Neil Lennon has a strongg claim having taken Hibs from the Championship to potentially finishing 2nd or 3 rd in the top league. 

Brendan Rodgers seems to be in a no win position if you read these posts.  Just throw money at it and winning the league is a foregone conclusion! Hasn't always worked that way.

My choice.......

Should Celtic complete a Double Treble then despite my strong Saint's bias I would go for BG.

On income from attendances 

Season Ticket sales can have a disproportionate positive influence on Recruitment.  

No reason why there should be more people at Dunfermline or Falkirk than at St Mirren. 

Live football for me over TV every time COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We are simply talking about manager of the year, playing budgets are irrelevant, its what any given manager has achieved and so far this season Clarke and Lennon's achievements outweigh that of our manager imo. Both have taken unfancied teams to within touching distance of finishing second to the beast from the east, and in doing so they arent finishing 20 odd points behind either.

I certainly didnt suggest we measure who among Lennon, Ross or Clarke is manager of the year next term based solely on where each finish in the league, its the relevant achievement i want to benchmark against. For us an example would be to target a finish without being in relegation trouble, or a stretch by edging into the top six.

aiming lower to just survive never works. We've been there, done that!

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

We are simply talking about manager of the year, playing budgets are irrelevant, its what any given manager has achieved and so far this season Clarke and Lennon's achievements outweigh that of our manager imo. Both have taken unfancied teams to within touching distance of finishing second to the beast from the east, and in doing so they arent finishing 20 odd points behind either.

I certainly didnt suggest we measure who among Lennon, Ross or Clarke is manager of the year next term based solely on where each finish in the league, its the relevant achievement i want to benchmark against. For us an example would be to target a finish without being in relegation trouble, or a stretch by edging into the top six.

aiming lower to just survive never works. We've been there, done that!

Exactly what has Steve Clarke won? Admittedly he has done a great job improving Kilmarnock but they haven't achieved anything other than top 6.