The End Of Season Play Offs 2018

shull

I've had a look at Kelty Hearts' twitter and it does indeed look like straight promotion should/when they finish the job against Threave. Which will mean Hawick Royal Albert will get relegated to East/South of Scotland tier.

It's good to see more of a pyramid in the Lowland League system. Perhaps the Highland League should look at further divisions? Fort William need a f**king boot up the backside.

Done some more lower league research. Kelty finished the season with a record of 23-0-1. One team finished 2Pts behind with a record of 22-1-1, that team being familiar to Saints - Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale. LTHV crucially drew on the 14th April, a 5-5 scoreline with 4th placed Leith Athletic. LTHV lead 3-0, 4-2 and 5-3 during that match. It began a gruelling end of season schedule where Lothian would win all 5 matches afterwards and take it to a final match against Kelty. Kelty won 3-1 to seal the title. Preston Athletic, the first club to be relegated from the Lowland League, finished 3rd but miles adrift of the top 2.

In a less exciting finish in the South, Threave Rovers won the league by 7pts above Mid Annandale.

On 05/05/2018 at 8:22 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

Done some more lower league research. Kelty finished the season with a record of 23-0-1. One team finished 2Pts behind with a record of 22-1-1, that team being familiar to Saints - Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale. LTHV crucially drew on the 14th April, a 5-5 scoreline with 4th placed Leith Athletic. LTHV lead 3-0, 4-2 and 5-3 during that match. It began a gruelling end of season schedule where Lothian would win all 5 matches afterwards and take it to a final match against Kelty. Kelty won 3-1 to seal the title. Preston Athletic, the first club to be relegated from the Lowland League, finished 3rd but miles adrift of the top 2.

In a less exciting finish in the South, Threave Rovers won the league by 7pts above Mid Annandale.

Kelty have a good set up.  I went over there to watch our young guys play Dunfermline young guys.  Artificial pitch. Wouldn't bet against them. 

1 hour ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

A shambles that Dundee United are playing again tonight, 3 days after beating Dunfermline.

Players will be tired, possibly carrying injuries, totally wrong and all in favour of the top league team as far as I see it. 

Hope United win although they are so inconsistent it could go any way. 

In fairness if a team finishes 3rd/4th in a 10 team league then their route to glory should be a lot harder than that of 2nd place. I'm glad the winner has been forced to play so quickly after. It means that should United get past Livi and then the SPL side, they've had to damn well earn it after a regular season where others were better.

In fairness you say (correctly) it's in favour of the Premier League side, but 11th used to mean safety. Now they have to fight for their place. 

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

Watching this tonight’s BT1

No love for either team, but would prefer United to get pumped.

BT? Decent, that's my night sorted! Hope Livi progress, 2nd place finish deserves the playoff final over 3rd/4th and they've been surprisingly good this season for a side who just gained promotion.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Want United to win and hopefully pump Hamilton accies in the Final . That would take two shite supports out of the equation next year . Never had any great love for Ferranti thistle and I detest Hamilton’s shite ground with their even shitier playing surface .

Wouldn't have phrased it that way but my hope would be that United go up and both Hamilton and Ross County come down. Might be a case of careful what you wish for though as the pressure in the top league would possibly be higher but so would attendances.

Glad I decided not to travel to watch this one. Watching on TV at the local pub. Very scrappy. High speed. High intensity. Watched these two play each other at Livingston a few months ago and the game then was of higher quality. In fairness to both there is a lot riding on these games. 

This is brilliant. 2-3 and kicking seven colours of shite out of each other, while Jack Ross looks on, holding a BT Sport microphone in one hand, puffing on a cigar in the other, before taking a break to check the snooker final and polishing the buttons on his stylish cardigan.

Just now, ironsaints87 said:

Ten minutes ago Livi looked dead what turnaround, United look tired

It's this stage of the match Livi need to (and have) hit Utd hard. As I said earlier (somewhere) I was glad the 3rd/4th winner barely had recovery time before this match, 2nd place deserves the advantage going into this match. They should do similar with the L1/L2 playoffs IMO instead of giving 4th placed finishers an equal chance of promotion.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

It's this stage of the match Livi need to (and have) hit Utd hard. As I said earlier (somewhere) I was glad the 3rd/4th winner barely had recovery time before this match, 2nd place deserves the advantage going into this match. They should do similar with the L1/L2 playoffs IMO instead of giving 4th placed finishers an equal chance of promotion.

I agree that Livi (runners up in the league) earned their right to any advantage under the system. Despite my preference for a United Win overall.