The End Of Season Play Offs 2018

shull

6 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

That's a fair point but keep in mind there was no Hibs and nearly all of us scored 12/12 against Brechin, and Dumbarton didn't even hit the points tally Ayr United went down with.

Dundee United's capitulation after New Year is not something I imagine would have happened under Ray. He was sacked when there was a 5pt gap, but with a game in hand so it was potentially a 2Pt gap - nothing in October (or whenever it is). I feel his sacking was unjust and his replacement completely useless. Not that I'm complaining because it did us a massive favour!

When McKinnon was sacked United had 17 points from 10 games, scaled up over 36 games that would give you 61 points which is what they finished with.  We saw how good McKinnon’sUnited were when we pumped them 3-0.  

Playoff Updates

Premiership

Livingston 1-1 Dundee United (Livingston win 3-2 on agg)

Livingston v Partick Thistle for the SPL place. Thistle are in the playoffs after their GD was 9 worse than Hamilton in the battle to avoid 11th. However considering automatic relegation was possible at the start of the day, I don't think Thistle will complain too much.

Championship

Dumbarton v Alloa Athletic (Dumbarton lead 1-0 on agg)

Dumbarton have the advantage to defend their place in the Championship. Kickoff is 4.10pm tomorrow.

League One

Peterhead 1-0 Stenhousemuir (Stenny win 2-1 on agg)

Russell McLean scored on 54mins as the Blue Toon tried to get back into this tie but red cards for David McCracken (66mins) and Jack Leitch (90+2mins) weren't very helpful. Both clubs were relegated from L1 last season but it's Stenhousemuir who make the immediate return to Scotland's third tier.

League Two

Cowdenbeath 3-2 Cove Rangers (Cowden win 3-2 on agg)

Two years running Cowdenbeath finish bottom of L2. Two years running Cowdenbeath survive the relegation playoff. Excellent news for them, while Highland League champions Cove appear to be disgusted by the refereeing.

It was a bad start for Cove as Harvey Swan scored from the spot after 7mins. Goals on 9 and 22 from Mitchell Megginson turned the game into Cove's favour and they lead at HT. Swan dented Cove's hopes with a leveller on 50mins. Cowdenbeath took the lead on 70mins through Brad Smith, on which Cove supporting sources are claiming a foul on the goalkeeper. Cove's day was summed up with three players sent off in added time while both managers were sent to the stand.

Lowland League

Kelty Hearts 6-0 Threave Rovers (Kelty won 10-0 on aggregate)

Safe to say the East of Scotland League side have ripped the South champions a new arsehole. After Kelty's excellent second half seen them score 4 times last week in Threave, they were 5-0 up after just 25 minutes. So they basically beat Threave 9-0 in just 70 minutes of football. Well done to Kelty, they will replace Hawick Royal Albert in the Lowland League.

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Congrats to Livi - surely the team we'd like to see win the play-off final as they'll have more trouble holding onto their manager @zico & best players than us.

Livi won't have any trouble holding onto their manager....

Dumbarton v Alloa !!
Wow.
What a display of absolute garbage football
Amazing lack of fitness on display, quite easy to see the difference in part time teams.

Much as I want Alloa to win this it’s clear to understand why Brechin never won a single game this season. Standard is awful. This is like organised pub football.

On a positive note , yes, Kyle Hutton has managed to stay on the park despite the cheap crude stamp on the lads Achilles.

Hoof ball

[emoji848]

23 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Dumbarton v Alloa !!
Wow.
What a display of absolute garbage football
Amazing lack of fitness on display, quite easy to see the difference in part time teams.

Much as I want Alloa to win this it’s clear to understand why Brechin never won a single game this season. Standard is awful. This is like organised pub football.

On a positive note , yes, Kyle Hutton has managed to stay on the park despite the cheap crude stamp on the lads Achilles.

Hoof ball

emoji848.png

A bit harsh on Alloa I think they've played pretty well, hope they go on and win it now Dumbarton have been fcuking dreadful.

A bit harsh on Alloa I think they've played pretty well, hope they go on and win it now Dumbarton have been fcuking dreadful.

No question Alloa are the better team but it’s f**kin dreadful football. The pitch is like rough on the links. Dead slow and stop. Only route is airborne.

11 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Back to day shifts at the aeroplane engine place. Him and Jimmy Durante surely pack it in now. Tbh they were absolutely pish today

For the sake of Dumbarton’s fans you would hope so.  They were brutal today and just as bad in the first leg.

League One Promotion Playoff

Dumbarton 0-2 Alloa Athletic (AET) (Alloa win 2-1 on agg)

It was looking like a third straight year in League One for Alloa but our super loanee Ross Stewart helped our super ex-captain/now Alloa manager carrying on Jack's early work with a 90+3 goal to take the game to extra time. Then our other super loanee Jordan Kirkpatrick scored the vital goal 5 minutes into extra time to seal a return to the Championship after a 2 year absence. Delight for the two current Saints players and our top man Goody.

Massive shame for Dumbarton though, after a 6 year spell in Scotland's second tier, excellent for a club of their size. I do wonder if they can make an immediate return or if that's their decent period over now. 

28 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

League One Promotion Playoff

Dumbarton 0-2 Alloa Athletic (AET) (Alloa win 2-1 on agg)

It was looking like a third straight year in League One for Alloa but our super loanee Ross Stewart helped our super ex-captain/now Alloa manager carrying on Jack's early work with a 90+3 goal to take the game to extra time. Then our other super loanee Jordan Kirkpatrick scored the vital goal 5 minutes into extra time to seal a return to the Championship after a 2 year absence. Delight for the two current Saints players and our top man Goody.

Massive shame for Dumbarton though, after a 6 year spell in Scotland's second tier, excellent for a club of their size. I do wonder if they can make an immediate return or if that's their decent period over now. 

I'd like to say well done to Alloa. I went along to watch them play Raith and they were excellent.  Ross and Kirkpatrick.  On to Dumbarton and they lose out to a good goal at home (Carswell...ex Saint).  Then on to the second leg, well summed up by Cornwall Saint to go through and win through.  They owe a debt of gratitude to their goalkeeper who made 3 good stops. Dumbarton have small resources... I second Cornwall Saint's commiserations and best wishes to our near neighbours across the river.