Attending Live Games. v Watching Televised Games

St.Ricky

Some people feel that Football on TV is harmful to attendances at live games. 

Others say that they promote the game.

What do you think?

Do you prefer going to a live game?

Do you prefer watching on TV at home or in a bar or club?

Edited by St.Ricky

Always a live game. You experience the thrill of goals among fellow fans, whereas pubs will be more mixed and generally don't contain St Mirren fans in Cornwall. You can't experience an atmosphere properly at home. And you cannot beat a great away day.

I don't watch much televised football. I'll watch any Saints game. I made an effort to watch Ayr v Killie on the opening day of the season, and that was an excellent match. But most of the time I can't be arsed to sit through 90 mins on tv if it doesn't involve Saints. I usually stick to MOTD and the live goals show in the CL group stages on BT which shows you goals, near misses, saves etc as they happen/have just happened. I can't be bothered with the knockouts, just check the results, might watch the final. I will only watch the FA Cup if it's a lower league side against a higher league side, EPL match ups in the cup don't have the romance of the low v high ties.

The exception to the rule is the World Cup/Euros where I will watch any match if I am free to. Im an avid lover of the international tournaments, perhaps because they both only come round every four years.

Live always beats TV. I couldn't afford to come up and see us win the cup in 2013 and as great as it was to see it on tv, it was never going to match actually being there. Having had experiences of the 3-2 comeback at Motherwell, the 2-0 at Falkirk when we played out of our skin to survive, pumping Celtic, McGinn's winner v Rangers (1872-2012) at Love Street, it's very easy to say being there is much better than having the tv experience.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Always a live game. You experience the thrill of goals among fellow fans, whereas pubs will be more mixed and generally don't contain St Mirren fans in Cornwall. You can't experience an atmosphere properly at home. And you cannot beat a great away day.

I don't watch much televised football. I'll watch any Saints game. I made an effort to watch Ayr v Killie on the opening day of the season, and that was an excellent match. But most of the time I can't be arsed to sit through 90 mins on tv if it doesn't involve Saints. I usually stick to MOTD and the live goals show in the CL group stages on BT which shows you goals, near misses, saves etc as they happen/have just happened. I can't be bothered with the knockouts, just check the results, might watch the final. I will only watch the FA Cup if it's a lower league side against a higher league side, EPL match ups in the cup don't have the romance of the low v high ties.

The exception to the rule is the World Cup/Euros where I will watch any match if I am free to. Im an avid lover of the international tournaments, perhaps because they both only come round every four years.

Live always beats TV. I couldn't afford to come up and see us win the cup in 2013 and as great as it was to see it on tv, it was never going to match actually being there. Having had experiences of the 3-2 comeback at Motherwell, the 2-0 at Falkirk when we played out of our skin to survive, pumping Celtic, McGinn's winner v Rangers (1872-2012) at Love Street, it's very easy to say being there is much better than having the tv experience.

Agree with you on World Cup and Euros.

For me too live is best.

You should try a Live World Cup game.  I was in France in 98 I managed to take in the Norway game but the whole experience was unbelievable ( I even managed to get my Nat King ) It's best I've felt since Archie Gemmels goal against Holland In Argentina sorry for The Train Spotting quote

1 minute ago, MWISAINT71 said:

You should try a Live World Cup game.  I was in France in 98 I managed to take in the Norway game but the whole experience was unbelievable ( I even managed to get my Nat King ) It's best I've felt since Archie Gemmels goal against Holland In Argentina sorry for The Train Spotting quote

I wid be lucky to get his CD. :(

Always live games obviously as I imagine 99.99% of folk will agree.

I absolutely hate watching saints on tv. Can’t stand it. Just don’t enjoy it.

Have zero time for any international games other than World cups and Euros.

And (if allowed....) will watch any EPL or Scottish Premiership game on sky or BT or any Champions league game with English or Scottish teams...

59 minutes ago, MWISAINT71 said:

I was lucky enough to attend the Scotland v Brazil opening game of the World Cup in 1998.  Unforgettable. 

Attended Scotland s games in England in Euro 1996. Unforgettable.

I attended Lothian Hutchie Thistle v Saints. Enjoyed it.

Work often took me to South Africa and I managed to fit in 3 Internationals in the Confederations Cup the year before the World Cup there.  Big and noisy crowds. Saw South Africa, USA, Italy, Spain. Great memories 

Edited by St.Ricky