The Return Of The Sin Bin

I've been a long time lurker (several years) and decided to try and do my bit to keep it going and hopefully improve the level of debate / comment by finally registering, Hardest part was thinking up a forum name! Hope to contribute over the coming months....until someone upsets me and I spit the dummy out. [emoji38]

I've been a long time lurker (several years) and decided to try and do my bit to keep it going and hopefully improve the level of debate / comment by finally registering, Hardest part was thinking up a forum name! Hope to contribute over the coming months....until someone upsets me and I spit the dummy out. [emoji38]

Sin bin for you ! Lurking is a forum breach.

Stegman rearrangement giving Magnets will attract all sorts, be aware :P

I sent Div a pm years ago and volunteered to help out as I had a fair bit of spare time each day to moderate. I was a young guy with no children who spent a fair bit of time on here so was happy to help. 

Back then I had NSS and Tom helping Div also, we all pitched in to keep the place tidy but now it’s non existent due to everyone’s personal commitments. 

I work hard running my business and spare time with my family is far more important than moderating the forum, priorities change. I feel I’ve done my bit and now there’s little point in me having moderation powers any longer. I’m quite happy to continue do what I can when I can but it’s not going to be on a daily basis.

New moderators would definitely be good but be prepared to get a bit of stick (and some abusive & threatening PM’s) for every decision you make. 

Anyone up for the responsibility should drop Div a PM. I’m sure he’d welcome some sensible forum users offering their spare time for the good of the forum. I’m sure most forum users would be grateful for the efforts also. 

We have a great platform here to talk about our football club and I’m glad to hear Div saying he’s not planning on dropping it. 

I sent Div a pm years ago and volunteered to help out as I had a fair bit of spare time each day to moderate. I was a young guy with no children who spent a fair bit of time on here so was happy to help. 
Back then I had NSS and Tom helping Div also, we all pitched in to keep the place tidy but now it’s non existent due to everyone’s personal commitments. 
I work hard running my business and spare time with my family is far more important than moderating the forum, priorities change. I feel I’ve done my bit and now there’s little point in me having moderation powers any longer. I’m quite happy to continue do what I can when I can but it’s not going to be on a daily basis.
New moderators would definitely be good but be prepared to get a bit of stick (and some abusive & threatening PM’s) for every decision you make. 
Anyone up for the responsibility should drop Div a PM. I’m sure he’d welcome some sensible forum users offering their spare time for the good of the forum. I’m sure most forum users would be grateful for the efforts also. 
We have a great platform here to talk about our football club and I’m glad to hear Div saying he’s not planning on dropping it. 

Spot on David. I’ve been guilty of neglecting it. Time to get some new mods and us old farts can take a back seat.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Which was the reason I relinquished.

The best way IMO is to do what the old Tartan Army Message Board did and have anonymous moderators, ie Mod1, Mod2...etc

Don’t agree with the whole concept of the sin bin I just choose to ignore or skim past pointless posts. Rather than it’s ma baw mentality. If someone is being abusive to another member or using threatening behaviour etc kick them out.

As for the forum its mainly is a great source news, information and some interesting talking point. Therefore I am a fan.

37 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

If someone is being abusive to another member or using threatening behaviour etc kick them out.

If that were a rule, Pozbaird should have been kicked out multiple times.

I think the Wank Tank is an excellent facility, and every forum should have one.

In all seriousness, I can't think of any downside in having the option of clearing the main forum of tedious dross as required, without entirely excluding the guilty parties. Too many good contributors have bailed out due to attention seeking trumpets polluting threads with unrelenting pish. Bottom line is that any one of us could find ourselves in the Tank, so it serves as a useful deterrent from being a total fanny.

It is also enormous fun for the rest who us, and affords us the opportunity to be hideously smug, despite having very little meaning to our lives otherwise.  A win/win, then!

Anonymous moderators sounds like a good shout.

Since Div announced the re-introduction of the Wank Tank, forum activity has jumped, with more posts being made and some posts from people who haven’t made any for a while. So, what’s the downside of the Wanko Tanko? I don’t see one. It’s a bit of fun. I’ve been on here for years, and have read very little that would worry Div’s lawyers (he shares Ian Hyslop’s crack team of anti-libel stormtroopers). I don’t remember much in the way of racism, sexism, bigotry, or anyone saying they’ve listened to anything Radiohead have done after OK Computer.

Div has said, folk have said to him they don’t frequent the forum for the reasons he laid out. Seems to me the criteria for being banished to the Wank Tank is fine. Just don’t be a daft cnut for the sake of it, and bore the tits off people by repeatedly posting complete and utter shite under multiple-alias utter bawbag guises.

For some, clearly, it’s a tough challenge not to cross the Wank Tank line. Once in, they’ll cry like babies in a Calimero style ‘It’s an injustice, it is....’

Viva El Presidente. Viva El Wanko Tanko.

Edited by pozbaird

I think web forums are dying out en masse. Loads of forums are seeing a down turn in traffic and users have moved onto Facebook instead. It's not a surprise. 

When I was a kid I read my Dads copy of the Daily Record every day. As an apprentice I was told to read the Sun as well so I'd get more political balance. When I moved to work in the offices with the planners and draughtsmen I was told to read the broadsheets as that would give you a less sensational view of the world. When the internet came along I used it as an information tool. I did research on topics I liked and I'd seek out forums and guestbooks where you could cement what you'd learn by discussing the topic with others. Often I'd be put in my place but the learning was good. I'd watch documentaries on TV, I enjoyed watching the news and political programmes on TV. I even enjoyed watching debates in parliament because often I'd be learning. 

These days people seem to seek out affirmation. We see this all through society with universities "no platforming" challenging speakers or with protests outside the BBC offices in Glasgow by political groups who aren't happy at how the news is being reported. Why bother looking for balance in the reporting when there are pages set up on Facebook full of people who will share your view on the world - no matter how imbalanced or unstable it is or no matter how warped your conspiracy theory on the world is. Why argue with someone who has a different opinion when there's so many people on that Facebook page who absolutely agree with you. Obviously you are right and everyone else is wrong. So you block out users who don't hold your opinion and you only "Like" pages full of people who are "nice" and who all share your opinion. 

In some ways that's also what's gone wrong on BAWA. There is a party line - that St Mirren are great, the chairman is great, the directors are great, the players are great, SMISA is great, the fans are great, the community work is great, etc - and anyone who has a different opinion is clearly wrong and needs dealt with. It's shown by the amount of posts made by affirmation seekers who demand that Div get rid of any dissenters before they drive traffic off the forum - when in truth in a successful forum you need people with a different view to generate the discussion that makes a forum. Div calls these dissenters "pish posters" and yet again we see the emergence of the sin bin to segregate dissenters from the rest of the forum. It looks like a desperate act to me. One last attempt to turn around falling traffic figures by repeating the last thing that generated a good bit of non football hilarity and discussion when in reality a quick look at threads on Pie and Bovril where users talk about their all time  favourite posters or they talk about the top moments on the website - it's often those posters Div would target as "pish" or who Div and his team of moderators have banned who have been the most memorable - long, long after they stopped using the forum.

By trying to turn BAWA into an affirmation site to appeal to the Facebook audience all Div has managed to do is to show the forum up as a place where there's nothing new to offer. In comparison to Facebook BAWA - and the Official Site Forum - just look like places where a small cliqued up number of old farts try to find new ways to express their love of the football club. There's little new to learn or read on here to drive youngsters here away from Facebook. Just more affirmation done in an even more boring way. 

St. Sid was thrown off the forum for gloating about the demise of the 10,000hours bid - which clearly upset div.

StuD & now LPM have been marginalized for posting the correct (if unpopular) fact that the original statements about how the  Discretionary Fund would be used  are not being adhered to and that SMiSA seems to be representing GLSs views. Anyone who didn't want to read this endless argument just had to avoid the SMiSA Forum which was effectively a WankTank in itself.   

Once GLSs shares have been bought (I presume that's still the plan) the victory of The Sausage Roll Brigade will be complete.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t remember much in the way of racism, sexism, bigotry, or anyone saying they’ve listened to anything Radiohead have done after OK Computer.

This, combined with you posting and approving an Avicci tune the other day, is enough to see you banished for quite some time I reckon.

28 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

St. Sid was thrown off the forum for gloating about the demise of the 10,000hours bid - which clearly upset div.

StuD & now LPM have been marginalized for posting the correct (if unpopular) fact that the original statements about how the  Discretionary Fund would be used  are not being adhered to and that SMiSA seems to be representing GLSs views. Anyone who didn't want to read this endless argument just had to avoid the SMiSA Forum which was effectively a WankTank in itself.   

Once GLSs shares have been bought (I presume that's still the plan) the victory of The Sausage Roll Brigade will be complete.

The debate on SMISA went on and on to me it was people who did not agree with funds being used yet the vote was not close it was massive for those against were jumping up and down , screaming wanting to be heard , repeat over and over the same thing you could count in one hand how many were against it on that thread  but you could not count with one hand the posts they made . 

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The debate on SMISA went on and on to me it was people who did not agree with funds being used yet the vote was not close it was massive for those against were jumping up and down , screaming wanting to be heard , repeat over and over the same thing you could count in one hand how many were against it on that thread  but you could not count with one hand the posts they made . 

Sure, but that's a different point and like I said anyone who didn't want to be troubled by the debate just had to avoid the WankTank SMiSA Forum.  

Edited by Bud the Baker

26 minutes ago, Kemp said:

This, combined with you posting and approving an Avicci tune the other day, is enough to see you banished for quite some time I reckon.

One day in the Wank Tank for a minor misdemeanour, with sentence reduced for good behaviour.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I couldn't care less if posters want to have a pop at the club, at SMiSA or at Gordon, or me for that matter.

What the forum doesn't need is the same posters posting the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again and making every thread about them and only them.