Sin Bin Betting Thread

faraway saint

4 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Birmingham City are a bunch of inbred wankers, denied me £58. They join Woking and Sunderland on this season’s useless wanker list.

Sheffield Wednesday are on that list also after yesterday's pumping at home. 

I listened to their chairman on the radio.
Very measured response.
Felt let down.
Was aware of previous addiction but believed it was under control.
Determined to support his employee but will accept whatever punishment measures the SFA dish out.

Also worth noting that although Rice was betting on football matches, none were games in which he was directly involved.

45 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Gambling addiction is a right problem for many people and families and online betting is hooking more and more folk.

I wonder when a pastime becomes an addiction?

The machines in shops were a real problem, so much so the government took action.

Online betting can be a problem, no closing time, available 24/7.

One of many pastimes that are addictive. 

1 hour ago, linwood buddie said:

Gambling addiction is a right problem for many people and families and online betting is hooking more and more folk.

Absolutely Linwood. 

Sad to see the level of betting company involvement in the game and club sponsorship fields. This will eventually go the way of tobacco and alcohol and be stopped. 

26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I wonder when a pastime becomes an addiction?

The machines in shops were a real problem, so much so the government took action.

Online betting can be a problem, no closing time, available 24/7.

One of many pastimes that are addictive. 

Exactly why I stick to my £2 spend a week, one on the Weekend Sections and the other on my random Monday-Sunday progress bet. Bunged today’s £1 on Djokovic at 1/50, gained 2p so tomorrow will be £1.02. I don’t care if it’s pish money, it’s a bit of fun for myself and my mate as friendly competition, at a price I can afford to lose.

Unfortunately others just can’t limit themselves, I had a mate who had to close all of his online accounts because he was spending hundreds on it. In the pub I have to pull him away from the fruities because once he’s pissed he chucks in the notes. 

It’s the same with all addictions. Most of us can limit our booze intake, but a minority rely on it. A social smoker can go weeks without a fag and then have a few on a night out, an addict finds making it to lunchtime difficult. Whatever addiction it is, long term it’s never good.

As you say regarding the betting terminals, they are incredibly easy to lose a massive chunk of money in a few minutes. The worst part is that these terminals (and of course the fruities) are designed to make more money than it hands out, so playing it for a length of time will never leave you with profit. But because it’s like a video game, some people just get fascinated and can’t move away. Highly dangerous machines.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Exactly why I stick to my £2 spend a week, one on the Weekend Sections and the other on my random Monday-Sunday progress bet. Bunged today’s £1 on Djokovic at 1/50, gained 2p so tomorrow will be £1.02. I don’t care if it’s pish money, it’s a bit of fun for myself and my mate as friendly competition, at a price I can afford to lose.

Unfortunately others just can’t limit themselves, I had a mate who had to close all of his online accounts because he was spending hundreds on it. In the pub I have to pull him away from the fruities because once he’s pissed he chucks in the notes. 

It’s the same with all addictions. Most of us can limit our booze intake, but a minority rely on it. A social smoker can go weeks without a fag and then have a few on a night out, an addict finds making it to lunchtime difficult. Whatever addiction it is, long term it’s never good.

As you say regarding the betting terminals, they are incredibly easy to lose a massive chunk of money in a few minutes. The worst part is that these terminals (and of course the fruities) are designed to make more money than it hands out, so playing it for a length of time will never leave you with profit. But because it’s like a video game, some people just get fascinated and can’t move away. Highly dangerous machines.

Unfortunately it's only the worst case scenarios that get the publicity in the press and from people who have no clue.

People like you, and myself, will never get rich but will not end up spending more than we can afford, that's not exciting enough for the Sun etc.

There are lots of "legal" activities that can be addictive, it could easily include supporting a football team.

Many spend much more than they should, at a cost to the family.

Anyhow, I'm away to bet my mortgage on what happens on Coronation Street, exciting. :wink:

No wonder my wife thinks I love the Street. :lol:

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Unfortunately it's only the worst case scenarios that get the publicity in the press and from people who have no clue.

People like you, and myself, will never get rich but will not end up spending more than we can afford, that's not exciting enough for the Sun etc.

There are lots of "legal" activities that can be addictive, it could easily include supporting a football team.

Many spend much more than they should, at a cost to the family.

Anyhow, I'm away to bet my mortgage on what happens on Coronation Street, exciting. :wink:

No wonder my wife thinks I love the Street. :lol:

Denial is a pretty normal stage.