Thugs - Do We Need Need A Couple?

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Came here to post this. Very, very physical stuff. Same goes for Motherwell. Not seen much of the rest.

Hibs started brightly, and were really fast and direct, until Hearts turned it into a battle. Then they were all kicking seven shades of shite out each other.

I thought at first Craig Thompson was having a decent game refereeing last night, and was trying to let game flow. It soon became evident that he was just missing things. At one stage John McGinn was "tackled" around the chest with the ball not near him- don't even think it was free kick. 

I can see why Jack Ross is trying to add some physicality to our squad , but the refs have to start doing their jobs correctly.

23 minutes ago, munoz said:

I thought at first Craig Thompson was having a decent game refereeing last night, and was trying to let game flow. It soon became evident that he was just missing things. At one stage John McGinn was "tackled" around the chest with the ball not near him- don't even think it was free kick. 

I can see why Jack Ross is trying to add some physicality to our squad , but the refs have to start doing their jobs correctly.

Yeah, obviously I was mainly watching the game to see how McGinn got on, and I hope I'm not being unduly biased but thought he was coming in for some spectacularly rough treatment. It might be a result of the way he plays - he protects the ball like few other midfielders around at the moment, which must be frustrating to play against - but on the whole I though he needed much more protection from the ref. Luckily he's made of solid stuff, it seems.

The tackle you're referring to, is that the one when he'd just given the foul immediately beforehand? I hate that flaw in refereeing - refs so rarely punish the 'second' foul. It's as if you're ok to go through a player if the whistle's gone.

2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Came here to post this. Very, very physical stuff. Same goes for Motherwell. Not seen much of the rest.

Hibs started brightly, and were really fast and direct, until Hearts turned it into a battle. Then they were all kicking seven shades of shite out each other.

Maybe a Paul Paton is exactly the type of player we need....

I'd be pretty comfortable with a Paton-McGinn-Magennis midfield platform, I reckon.

On the physicality, Gary Mack has signed up now, and Hippo is big enough. I'd really like to see Hippo using his physique next season - I can picture him driving into the channels.

I like Mullen, and he certainly knows how to win fouls, but I really hope a big f**king CF is top of the list. Look at the damage Lafferty was doing last night.

On 08/05/2018 at 5:23 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

I would agree to some extent but mostly Livi make up for their lack of football skill by forcing you off the ball , then they curl up in a ball and try and get a foul . Livi have barged their way to second place in the League from the first division , it's not really fitba' but they have got away with it . Jack did mention that they have a lot of big guys ( they have a team of Gary Mackenzie's) and that we have the smallest team in the League . He said it was something he was going to address. .

Did you watch the Hearts , Hibs game last night Neil ? First thing that popped into my head is we are going have to be much more physical to cope with the premiership.  Was there not a pundit on Radio who said the way to beat St Mirren is be physical.  Dont want to be hammer throwers but we need to be able to cope. 

23 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I'd be pretty comfortable with a Paton-McGinn-Magennis midfield platform, I reckon.

On the physicality, Gary Mack has signed up now, and Hippo is big enough. I'd really like to see Hippo using his physique next season - I can picture him driving into the channels.

I like Mullen, and he certainly knows how to win fouls, but I really hope a big f**king CF is top of the list. Look at the damage Lafferty was doing last night.

Is there something in Paton coming ? 

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did you watch the Hearts , Hibs game last night Neil ? First thing that popped into my head is we are going have to be much more physical to cope with the premiership.  Was there not a pundit on Radio who said the way to beat St Mirren is be physical.  Dont want to be hammer throwers but we need to be able to cope. 

No I didn't watch that game but i have seen other premiership games where there was plenty of barging . A Buddie of mine said l will need to have brown trousers for next season but I still think Jack will get the balance right and have us challenging for the top six but no one said it would be easy. .

ETA: we all saw the way Dundee played in the pre-season "friendly" last year . . seemed like Magennis was out for months after that. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

21 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Is there something in Paton coming ? 

Not really. He lives near Paisley and has confirmed he's coming back to play in Scotland. Wishful thinking as much as anything, I think. Though he did tweet to congratulate us on our title win :D