Derek McInnes

DougJamie

Is it just me or does anyone else get bored with him whining and moaning about how his Dons, never get the credit they deserve and what an amazing season they have had......

I think he is at best an ordinary manager................. with a large budget , only beaten by OF

With their resources why do they usually have an appalling record over other top 6 teams ( bar Killie)

They have won 1 trophy in his tenure, same as Ross County, Caley, Hibs Fakes and Us ................

I thought last year, getting to 2 cup finals was special, but hey Well managed that this season and also Well  knocked them out of both cups 6-0 ......

They lay down to Gers and Celtic, and he is considered as a top manager by the eh................press.

Certainly the Dons fans are well split. Most wish he had left club.................

Is it me...... or does anyone else think they guy is a fud ? 

I think he's doing a decent job. When you consider Hearts and Hibs (closest in resources) both were relegated in recent years and Hearts now are a distant 6th, and you compare with Aberdeen regularly fighting for 2nd, he's doing well and he's doing well on a regular basis. He can't be expected to challenge Celtic, but he (and Hibs this season) are pushing the Sevvies all the way. He's built a consistency that Aberdeen have lacked for years. Yes the Sevvies are poorer than they used to be, but who was the last manager to achieve solid consistency with Aberdeen?

I get your point about cups but they are tricky to win after all, teams play differently as it's a one off match. Again you list Hibs as a club who've won the same amount of trophies as Aberdeen recently. The key thing here is that McInnes brought home a cup - remember they sacked Calderwood for terrible cup performances when he regularly brought them Top 6 finishes.

I'd also add in the Dons have been Scotland's best side in Europe in recent years (ignoring the Green Bigots). They usually tend to progress past a couple of rounds before meeting someone on a bigger scale. Hearts lost to Birkirkara two years ago, Sevco to Progres, St Johnstone haven't managed to progress when they've qualified. The Dons do a much better job of it.

I think he's done a very good job there and perhaps because he's built them into the team who challenges for 2nd, people don't find it as amazing after a couple of years. But I would say Aberdeen will drop off when he goes. After Calderwood their league performances dropped.

20 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I think he's doing a decent job. When you consider Hearts and Hibs (closest in resources) both were relegated in recent years and Hearts now are a distant 6th, and you compare with Aberdeen regularly fighting for 2nd, he's doing well and he's doing well on a regular basis. He can't be expected to challenge Celtic, but he (and Hibs this season) are pushing the Sevvies all the way. He's built a consistency that Aberdeen have lacked for years. Yes the Sevvies are poorer than they used to be, but who was the last manager to achieve solid consistency with Aberdeen?

I get your point about cups but they are tricky to win after all, teams play differently as it's a one off match. Again you list Hibs as a club who've won the same amount of trophies as Aberdeen recently. The key thing here is that McInnes brought home a cup - remember they sacked Calderwood for terrible cup performances when he regularly brought them Top 6 finishes.

I'd also add in the Dons have been Scotland's best side in Europe in recent years (ignoring the Green Bigots). They usually tend to progress past a couple of rounds before meeting someone on a bigger scale. Hearts lost to Birkirkara two years ago, Sevco to Progres, St Johnstone haven't managed to progress when they've qualified. The Dons do a much better job of it.

I think he's done a very good job there and perhaps because he's built them into the team who challenges for 2nd, people don't find it as amazing after a couple of years. But I would say Aberdeen will drop off when he goes. After Calderwood their league performances dropped.

Ok valid points mate....

But cant really benchmark Hearts as they did a Sevco in all but name and played kids with a 15 point deduction. Prior to that Hearts got 2nd and won 2 Scottish Cups....

AS for Europe, hardly a success getting to 3rd round Qualifying, in some cases that has just been one round negotiated

Maybe you are right- The guy gets on my t!ts I did forget the year we finished top in 1999-00 they finished bottom of Premier with 89 goals conceded:lol:   

10 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok valid points mate....

But cant really benchmark Hearts as they did a Sevco in all but name and played kids with a 15 point deduction. Prior to that Hearts got 2nd and won 2 Scottish Cups....

AS for Europe, hardly a success getting to 3rd round Qualifying, in some cases that has just been one round negotiated

Maybe you are right- The guy gets on my t!ts I did forget the year we finished top in 1999-00 they finished bottom of Premier with 89 goals conceded:lol:   

You are right on Hearts, but their return was looking good under Neilson until he moved on. Cathro was then a disaster and Levein perhaps doing the minimum expected. Their resources now should not be far off that of the Dons.

I think you're being harsh on the European front. Most countries who sit around the same co-efficient as Scotland do not see their sides qualify for the group stages. Sides who start in Q1 and Q2 are generally assigned harder ties as they progress so their chances are minimal barring those from top 10 countries. You get your exceptions like Dundalk for instance, but where Aberdeen are placed into the competition, it's made very difficult for them to go far. 1 or 2 rounds is a realistic expectation. As I say while Hearts were knocked out by a team from Malta, Sevco by a side who finished 4th in Luxembourg, and St Johnstone being knocked out by Trakai and Trencin, Aberdeen get by sides of similar ability or better.

Also remember Aberdeen once had McGhee :lol:

A week bit harsh DJ in my opinion. 

He could do no more than be a consistent second best to Celtic given the disparity in resources. 

Aberdeen's best opportunity in the league might come when a stronger Glasgow Strangers team start taking points off Celtic. 

We might then have some league! 

Totally agree.

He is not there to win any popularity contest, but to manage a football club that had been in the doldrums for some time.

He has not just stabilised them but has them performing with a high level of consistency.

He can be narky... Most "winners and achievers" have that side to them.

Personally, I totally respect the job he has done at Aberdeen and rate him highly as a manager.

I just wish once in a while he could put out a side to give the of a bloody nose!

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Totally agree.

He is not there to win any popularity contest, but to manage a football club that had been in the doldrums for some time.

He has not just stabilised them but has them performing with a high level of consistency.

He can be narky... Most "winners and achievers" have that side to them.

Personally, I totally respect the job he has done at Aberdeen and rate him highly as a manager.

I just wish once in a while he could put out a side to give the of a bloody nose!

In agreement with all of this. I think he's done a fantastic job. Your last comment is the unfortunate downside to him but at least him (and Neil Lennon) are giving the Sevvies a headache just trying to become Scotland's second force again!

He's done a great job at Aberdeen. He has established them as the consistent 2nd force in Scottish football. This is the first time anyone out with the old firm has done that since the 80's.

We've had the periods of Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc coming 2nd but its only ever lasted for a year or two then they are away down the league again. He has had Aberdeen up there and getting to cup semis and finals consistently for a number of years now.

This is supposedly Aberdeen's bad season and they are going into the last day of the season in 2nd place and 1 point ahead of their competitors who have over 3-4 times the operating budget as them.

It doesn't matter if you like him personally or not theres no denying the job he has done.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...