Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Jack will eventually leave us for a bigger club. There's never going to be a good time for it to happen but this is arguably as good as it's going to get, with a full summer ahead for any replacement to come in and build his own squad for the Premiership.

I'm praying it won't come to that but Ipswich are a big club, much bigger than the likes of Barnsley, I'm not surprised he wants to go and hear what they have to say.

A shite state of affairs for fans of the club. What price success eh ?
The whole club success this season has been shadowed with JR’s when rather than if departure. This summer will test JRs integrity and promised loyalty. He has said the right things and been thoroughly professional. No harm to him, there is a natural tipping point in all these things though.
I’m now resigned to seeing a new man at the helm for our club next season. Hope I’m wrong and JR rebuffs all moves.
As said earlier however could be a buckle up for a shit fest close season of whatiffery.
Shame.

17 minutes ago, mad saint 2 said:

but there will come a time when we the fans will have enough off this ,every  2 min hes talking to some one 

we need him now to say i m staying and  building a new team ,

SHOW SOME LOYALTY

I'm assuming this is a wind up, however....

Anyone who takes a pop at JR for considering other posts, and ultimately accepting one, needs to take a look at themselves.

The guy has pretty much given us our club back. He owes us absolutely nothing.

As for loyalty, who among us would demonstrate 'loyalty' to our current employer if offered a challenging opportunity to develop their career with a 4X salary increase elsewhere?

6 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

The whole club success this season has been shadowed with JR’s when rather than if departure. This summer will test JRs integrity and promised loyalty. He has said the right things and been thoroughly professional. No harm to him, there is a natural tipping point in all these things though.
I’m now resigned to seeing a new man at the helm for our club next season. Hope I’m wrong and JR rebuffs all moves.
As said earlier however could be a buckle up for a shit fest close season of whatiffery.
Shame.

Why would his departure be a black mark on his integrity?

Edited by Drew

6 minutes ago, div said:

Jack will eventually leave us for a bigger club. There's never going to be a good time for it to happen but this is arguably as good as it's going to get, with a full summer ahead for any replacement to come in and build his own squad for the Premiership.

I'm praying it won't come to that but Ipswich are a big club, much bigger than the likes of Barnsley, I'm not surprised he wants to go and hear what they have to say.

Worst time possible IMO in the middle of a major squad rebuild for the top flight - best time to lose JR is outwith the transfer windows.

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Worst time possible IMO in the middle of a major squad rebuild for the top flight - best time to lose JR is outwith the transfer windows.

Wouldn't you rather any new manager can immediately bring in his own choice of players?

Why would his departure be a black mark on his integrity?

I’m not having a pop (my bad ) I’m implying that he is a guy of significant integrity, therefore I’m trying to hope that his ambition and expressed loyalty can be harboured at St mirren for a bit longer.
Cannot blame the guy for answering calls following his success.
It’s a most transient game these days

14 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Shame.

Agree, I also wonder just why our Board do not take a stance of 'hands off' if they genuinely think JR is the right man to take the club forward.  Unless there is something written into Jack's contract that he can talk to other clubs then we should maybe stand our ground and refuse to let him speak to other clubs.  This is the third case now and must cause some uncertainty in current and possible incoming players?  The key message here is that if we get any manager who produces a degree of success then he will be off.  Money talks I guess.

34 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

This is becoming a bit wearisome .

It seems that every 2 months or so, some bigger club than us (and there are plenty of them) makes an approach to speak to our manager. Perhaps the Guinness Book of Records is about to be broken for the number of approaches made for a manager within 12 months.

I was one of the first on this forum to support Jack's appointment and he has done a tremendous job over the past 18 months or so. He is indisputably our best manager since Sir Alex.

However, enough is enough - we can't go on like this indefinitely and we won't!

That is the nature of football management these days I am afraid.

The king is dead - long live the king.

Dave Hopkins perhaps?

Hopkins lives in Kilmacolm and is minted so its a good shout

No, if he goes the time it'll take to appoint a new manager will leave us in limbo at the most critical time of the season - unless it's JF which would be the best option if JR does go IMO.

JF will go with Jack. And besides, JF has stated management is not for him after trying it - he prefers being a coach.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

No, if he goes the time it'll take to appoint a new manager will leave us in limbo at the most critical time of the season - unless it's JF which would be the best option if JR does go IMO.

JF doesn't want to be a manager and is likely to follow Jack down south if that is where he is heading.  We need to appoint the right person to replace him if he goes and that takes time unless the Board have someone in mind.

We all know he is going to leave at some point and I think part of the great relationship with the club includes us not standing in his way when people want to talk to him, he knows he has the security and trust of the club while he is able to look at alternatives, personally I think both sides have been open and honest about it and could yet see Jack staying for a further season (or part at least).

50 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Hi, Ipswich fan here. Just took note of this comment, whilst Dave Bowman is technically classed as 'DoF', he actually isn't, he's our Chief Scout (we had to give him DoF title as we already had a Chief Scout in place when he teamed up with Mick - our Chief Scout subsequently left after that).

Dave Bowman will be leaving us shortly anyway (will follow Mick wherever he goes), so I don't think Ross would be working under a DoF here.

Cheers.

Fair play. Hope Jack stays with Saints but I'm sure he'd be a great appointment for Ipswich.

Some on here are getting a bit emotive on this................... Loyalty , Integrity !! Why not just say " If you leave I am going to cry!!"   

Jack is going to leave at some point, his CV is short but highly impressive................ Ala all great Saints talent, they move on, we are a wee club in a very big pond.

TBH- I would prefer Jack goes South, I would hate to see him at another Premier club like Fergie did- Hibs, Hearts  or even Dons. I don't want to be against him...............

What will be will be- Still say Jim Goodwin is the natural successor as once again Alloa comes to our rescue - if required

Whilst I hope he stays,  I agree with the point made that the club is acting professionally by allowing him to speak with other bigger clubs.  This is a sensible approach which might also aid us if/when it comes to finding an equally ambitious (And I hope)  talented manager as a replacement.  Timing could be better is one argument.  Timing might be as good as we can get (allowing any incoming manager to recruit their players).  Time will tell.  Exciting times to be a buddies. 

11 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Tony Fitzpatrick has stated that he hopes that St Mirren do not make the same mistake they made 40 years ago by failing to hold on to Alex Ferguson with regard to Jack Ross.

At least we enjoyed Alex Ferguson's services for the best part of 4 years!

Tony's Gob is part of the problem shooting his mouth off

He hardly goes under the radar does he ?

He should just say " Aye he is doing ok I guess "

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Tony's Gob is part of the problem shooting his mouth off

He hardly goes under the radar does he ?

He should just say " Aye he is doing ok I guess "

Pretty difficult to avoid The Manager of The Year Award DJ

1 hour ago, mad saint 2 said:

if jack wants to challenge

why not go to the   TON  and see if he is as good as everyone thinks he is ONLY JOKING 

there must be a clause in his contract every job in england i can speak to them

but there will come a time when we the fans will have enough off this ,every  2 min hes talking to some one 

we need him now to say i m staying and  building a new team ,

SHOW SOME LOYALTY

Making some assumptions there. Permission to speak would suggest no clause (or no zero clause anyway)

Assuming it's him that has pandered to the interest when in reality it's more likely they approached him (asking our permission). 

You, me and every St Mirren fan I'm sure would love him to stay but if you were touted for a job where you'd likely treble your income (at least) and much more prospects would you be saying it's a question of loyalty?

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone could grudge him this if he goes.