Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Agree, I also wonder just why our Board do not take a stance of 'hands off' if they genuinely think JR is the right man to take the club forward.  Unless there is something written into Jack's contract that he can talk to other clubs then we should maybe stand our ground and refuse to let him speak to other clubs.  This is the third case now and must cause some uncertainty in current and possible incoming players?  The key message here is that if we get any manager who produces a degree of success then he will be off.  Money talks I guess.

It clearly is, events have heavily suggested as much

1 minute ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Yeah baby.

I come in peace.

Just had a read through this thread and you seem a decent bunch. Must admit I quite like the cut of your chaps gib, it looks like you are going to lose him at some point and if we get him then we will look after him. He won't be given much of a transfer kitty but he is likely to be very well paid and he will have first class facilities and most importantly our owner will not interfere and he will be given time. 

I must admit I have a great deal of time for The Scots, you are a fine people. Generous at the bar and always well learned.

At Ipswich we have a Scottish love in with notable members such as Billy Baxter, Frank Brogan,  Alan Brazil, George Burley, John Wark, Alex Mathie, Christophe Berra and of course Terry McButcher

Anyway, feel free to pop over for a cup of tea https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/

Correct but the lack of transfer kitty is the issue. Expectations of support are high, but no money to sustain them. Hence I think Jack Ross will not take it. Unless Evans is going to invest again.

57 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

If not Ipswich, then it'll be somebody else next week, and the week after, and the week after.

Jack can't keep turning these down and also retain personal credibility amongst the sort of clubs he'll be hoping to move to eventually.

I think he'll be off and, while I'll be sad to see him go, I am very grateful that he told Dundee and Barnsley to shove it at far more crucial times for us.

Turning down bad moves or unpromising ones is EXACTLY the kind of thing that will BUILD his credibility

3 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Yeah baby.

I come in peace.

Just had a read through this thread and you seem a decent bunch. Must admit I quite like the cut of your chaps gib, it looks like you are going to lose him at some point and if we get him then we will look after him. He won't be given much of a transfer kitty but he is likely to be very well paid and he will have first class facilities and most importantly our owner will not interfere and he will be given time. 

I must admit I have a great deal of time for The Scots, you are a fine people. Generous at the bar and always well learned.

At Ipswich we have a Scottish love in with notable members such as Billy Baxter, Frank Brogan,  Alan Brazil, George Burley, John Wark, Alex Mathie, Christophe Berra and of course Terry McButcher

This thread has been a rare oasis of sanity on this forum. If you offer him the gig, and he accepts, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

At least our East Anglian visitors are a bit better mannered than the Barnsley twats who came on here during the season.

Jack will do what is best for him, his career and his family. If he goes then so be it.

Hopefully he'll be up for taking on the Premiership Challenge but he will also be mindful that with the best will in the world changes are that next season might be a struggle for us.

We can't compete financially, the money he could earn down there, with Ipswich and maybe beyond, is life changing.

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Well, yes. I don't think Ipswich would fall into either category, though.

I think Ipswich are more or less happy where they are, that in itself is an unpromising set of circumstances.

Only an opinion though and not, as has become the fashion on here, intended to be viewed as a fact.

2 minutes ago, div said:

At least our East Anglian visitors are a bit better mannered than the Barnsley twats who came on here during the season.

Jack will do what is best for him, his career and his family. If he goes then so be it.

Hopefully he'll be up for taking on the Premiership Challenge but he will also be mindful that with the best will in the world changes are that next season might be a struggle for us.

We can't compete financially, the money he could earn down there, with Ipswich and maybe beyond, is life changing.

I agree.

Its a brutally difficult job with the resources they have. They are a superb club though. 

Just now, Sonny said:

Reckon Jack would only take the job if he has a decent chance of promotion. As Ipswich do not appear to have much money that could persuade him to reject it.

They didn't finish a million miles from the playoffs (15 points) and it appears they have a patient, if not cash rich, chairman.

Just now, Magic Monkey said:

They didn't finish a million miles from the playoffs (15 points) and it appears they have a patient, if not cash rich, chairman.

Exactly this. We certainly don't have the money to compete with others, but a manager would be given time to build something. We have an academy which is starting to churn out some really decent players, and with Ross, we might be able to tap in to some of the best Scottish up and coming players as well (who knows).

45 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Lived in Ipswich for 4 years and was season ticket holder also.

Ipswich are a fantastic club but if I was Jack Ross, on balance I wouldn't take this job.

5 years ago I would have said bite their hand off.

Since Marcus Evans arrived the level of investment in playing squad has consistently decreased to the point where they rely on a superb youth system and picking up loan signings (bit like us !).

Mick McCarthy done a fantastic job but was hounded out by sections of the support and I think Ipswich could bitterly regret it.

12 clubs in the Championship now have parachute payments of which Ipswich is not one, so the gap is enormous.

Having said that Marcus Evans is a brilliant chairman for managers to work under and maybe he is prepared to reinvest in the club.

Also Wagner had nowt at Huddersfield when he started and his talent delivered everything.

I think it would be a huge gamble for both Jack Ross and Ipswich.

If I was Jack Ross i would do a year in Premiership in Scotland.

I knew Ipswich would approach him, not suprised at all, but a very difficult job.

Think Jack should speak to Mick McCarthy first !

I appreciate you know a bit about us from 1st hand experience but since McCarthy has left we are ready to rock and roll again. McCarthy did a great job but for the last two seasons the football has been woeful. Us fans fell out with Mick Mack mainly because they got fed up with him telling us to f*ck off and calling us imbeciles.

Since Mick has gone it is like a breath of fresh air. Mick bought some good players but failed to get them to play football, recent performances seem to indicate that the players can play. We have a great youth system and some terrific players coming through

Although we like to harp on about our history we realise we are where we are and we just want to see an attempt to play nice football whilst ruining our health by drinking too much beer. Many clubs have spent themselves into nothing - or relegation. What we want is a gradual build with a forward thinking manager.

Ipswich fans got a lot of stick over the Mick Mack fall out but mainly from his media friends and old colleagues that didn't have to watch hoofball every week.

Anyway, if we don't get your man I will keep an eye on your progress and at least one good thing has come from it, after going through the registration process I now know you won the league cup in 2013 and I can rearrange a cup of coffee squares.

Cheers Buddies!

Edited by ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks

Yeah baby.
I come in peace.

Don’t patronise us mate.

5 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

I appreciate you know a bit about us from 1st hand experience but since McCarthy has left we are ready to rock and roll again. McCarthy did a great job but for the last two seasons the football has been woeful. Us fans fell out with Mick Mack mainly because they got fed up with him telling us to f*ck off and calling us imbeciles.

Since Mick has gone it is like a breath of fresh air. Mick bought some good players but failed to get them to play football, recent performances seem to indicate that the players can play. We have a great youth system and some terrific players coming through

Although we like to harp on about our history we realise we are where we are and we just want to see an attempt to play nice football whilst ruining our health by drinking too much beer. Many clubs have spent themselves into nothing - or relegation. What we want is a gradual build with a forward thinking manager.

Ipswich fans got a lot of stick over the Mick Mack fall out but mainly from his media friends and old colleagues that didn't have to watch hoofball every week.

Anyway, if we don't get your man I will keep an eye on your progress and at least one good thing has come from it, after going through the registration process I now know you one the league cup in 2013 and I can rearrange a cup of coffee squares.

Cheers Buddies!

Mick McCarthy is an outstanding manager at Championship level in England.

100 times the experience of Jack Ross.

There position in the league this season is due to his work !

He has got them to a few play off positions on a shoestring also.

Unless Evans is going to invest in the club then I think its the wrong move for Jack Ross on a football basis. Financially for him maybe.

Just now, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Woah.

That certainly wasn't intended and I apologise if it came over that way.

I don't reckon most of us think it did.

Perhaps a few of our number are feeling a wee bit touchy this afternoon.

I think if JR ‘feels’ the fit is right he will go. He always praised Saints for allowing him to work in his own way. That along with relocating his family would I think be the prime drivers imo. Sadly Ipswich isn’t too shabby part of the world. There are much worse places. Schooling, lifestyle, hmmmmmm. Most certainly not a challenge like some footballing outposts.
This option on paper looks a no brainier when compared to Dundee or Barnsley.
We shall see.
St mirren presently playing it straight. Eventually the straight bat will end up hitting us out the park.

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Mick McCarthy is an outstanding manager at Championship level in England.

100 times the experience of Jack Ross.

There position in the league this season is due to his work !

He has got them to a few play off positions on a shoestring also.

Unless Evans is going to invest in the club then I think its the wrong move for Jack Ross on a football basis. Financially for him maybe.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

11 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

If Jack goes his successor won't be a knee-jerk reaction.  Since the start of the season, I have it from good authority that Saints have been monitoring possible replacements given Jack's elevated status. 

Correct. Gordon and the rest of the board have a successor plan, the same as any competent business would do.

Let's hope they don't need to invoke it!

17 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Woah.

That certainly wasn't intended and I apologise if it came over that way.

Remember the part where you said we seemed like a decent bunch ?  Theres always the exception to every rule. :rolleyes:   

Probably just as well some of our other cultural attaches are languishing in the sin bin at present  !