Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Just now, magnus said:

I really don't give a shit what he does. I am simply saying someone else needs to be planning for St Mirren next season. Last season is over and odds are we need a new manager.

Well as  Saints fan- I do care what he does.......... if he stays then great, but this was and is a possibility. That's what happens to success in football. I am sure that IF Jack decides he is better off elsewhere the BOD that appointed him will have another suitor lined up..... my money is on Goodie................

4 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

There would be space for James Fowler. Mick left with Terry Connor (assistant), and Dave Bowman, Micks Chief Scout will be leaving soon as well. Leaves room for a couple of additions (plus we need a new GK coach as ours is retiring).

Other than that, I think what our owner Evans was alluding to was the academy staff who are all virtually ex Ipswich players at the moment doing a very good job. 

I watched that interview. Evans seemed really switched on and a man with a long term plan. Sounds like a really well run club.

18 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Yes we are in debt but our debt is largely irrelevant. The money is owed to Marcus Evans our owner (who is worth around £800m). The deal that he signed when he bought the club is that he must walk away with the debt. Marcus keeps us going by pumping around £6m a year into the club, he won't spend millions as he got burnt by Keane and Jewell but the club won't go bust.

Marcus, much like Mick divides opinion but those with sense realise that he has the clubs interests at heart. He is a very ambitious man but he won't attempt to buy his way out of the league, many have tried and failed.

7 minutes ago, magnus said:

I watched that interview. Evans seemed really switched on and a man with a long term plan. Sounds like a really well run club.

Indeed, was a good interview.  Just a shame it took him 10 years to show his face (we all knew anyway), but was still good. 

1 minute ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Yes we are in debt but our debt is largely irrelevant. The money is owed to Marcus Evans our owner (who is worth around £800m). The deal that he signed when he bought the club is that he must walk away with the debt. Marcus keeps us going by pumping around £6m a year into the club, he won't spend millions as he got burnt by Keane and Jewell but the club won't go bust.

Marcus, much like Mick divides opinion but those with sense realise that he has the clubs interests at heart. He is a very ambitious man but he won't attempt to buy his way out of the league, many have tried and failed.

Don't you just love English Football :lol:

Firstly Ipswich are a club with little money for players which is the first hurdle. Second is Jack has no experience/knowledge of English football (besides 1 year a s a player) which handicaps him in putting a squad together to have a go at promotion. Third is Jack has relatively little managerial experience - one more year in the Premiership will teach him a lot -  it's a big difference from managing Scottish Championship to English Championship.  And fourth, there are loads of other candidates.

I would not assume Jack would be offered the post nor assume he would take it if offered. He has time on his side and a bit more experience at a higher level with us would prepare him better for a move down south. Reckon its about 50/50 at best on him leaving for Ipswich.

Firstly Ipswich are a club with little money for players which is the first hurdle. Second is Jack has no experience/knowledge of English football (besides 1 year a s a player) which handicaps him in putting a squad together to have a go at promotion. Third is Jack has relatively little managerial experience - one more year in the Premiership will teach him a lot -  it's a big difference from managing Scottish Championship to English Championship.  And fourth, there are loads of other candidates.
I would not assume Jack would be offered the post nor assume he would take it if offered. He has time on his side and a bit more experience at a higher level with us would prepare him better for a move down south. Reckon its about 50/50 at best on him leaving for Ipswich.

Far too measured and sensible a post. Well said Mr Scott [emoji6]

20 minutes ago, magnus said:

Sorry, the practicalities are the sooner Jack goes the better and of course with thanks.

What the hell is he supposed to do? Tell Ipswich to f**k off and warn other clubs to avoid him? We might as well tell the likes of Cammy Smith and Kyle Magennis to piss off too then as they are two players capable of going on to better things. Don't even know why we brought Morgan back on loan, he should have told Celtic to bugger off instead of taking their offer and then having the cheek to come back. Interest in Jack is of no shock to us. He will move when he feels the right offer comes in (Ipswich is a possibility, much better than Barnsley). Until he signs a contract for someone else, he will be working his arse off for us getting things in place like normal.

Btw the headline reads Ipswich ask permission to speak to Jack Ross. Not Jack Ross begs Saints board to speak to Ipswich. It isn't like he's come out declaring his undying love of Ipswich Town FC and how he'd much rather be there than here. Give the man a break ffs, without him we'd have been visiting Albion Rovers and Arbroath this season.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Hopkin has a side playing brutal football that would surely be found out up a division - a total non starter

Hopkin has already proven himself with a step up in leagues. He won League One last season and took Livi straight to 2nd place with a chance of promotion. If Livi go up he's a non-starter for us anyway. The biggest problem however is our squad are too lightweight to play Hopkin's way. He would need to bring in major personnel change and that would be too drastic right now. Ideally we need someone who's style is similar to Jack.

25 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Hi guys, another Ipswich invader here.

Just like to echo my fellow East Anglians' sentiments on your board- some decent discussion on this thread, unlike some forums we could mention!

Would like to pull up on this point. Though we are £90m in 'debt', that debt is personally underwritten  by Evans with the understanding that it would be written off in case of a sale. It is only reflective of his net investment over 10 years. We aren't big spenders by any means, so need a manager who can spend shrewdly and search the lower/foreign leagues for gems. We had happy hunting with Mings who was scouted at non-league, bought for £10k and sold for £8m+, though since leaving has been completely crocked.

Not only that but we need a strong, positive character who can keep the currently sky-high dressing room morale as it is. McCarthy was great at doing that and quickly weeded out negative influences. Ross seems the type to do that.

However, my only concern would be his connections in the game, in terms of attracting Prem loans, etc. McCarthy, again, had excellent connections, so we were able to capitalise on loans from Spurs, City, et al.

And here's the other thing: no one's asked about style of play yet. How does your man approach games? We're craving more attacking intent and quality. MM's football was suited to Suffolk in that it was agricultural, but not to ITFC fans who have enjoyed free-flowing, gung-ho football for decades.

Anyways, wish you all the best for next season and will certainly keep an eye out for you whatever happens.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

And here's the other thing: no one's asked about style of play yet. How does your man approach games? We're craving more attacking intent and quality. MM's football was suited to Suffolk in that it was agricultural, but not to ITFC fans who have enjoyed free-flowing, gung-ho football for decades.

Anyways, wish you all the best for next season and will certainly keep an eye out for you whatever happens.

Cheers!

Well Barcelona congratulated us on a great team move ending with a wonderful goal which was nominated for Goal of the season. Like Barcelona we play with a team of midgets but its hard working, free flowing and exciting. The best football we have watched in many a year.

Edited by Sonny

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Second is Jack has no experience/knowledge of English football (besides 1 year a s a player) which handicaps him in putting a squad together to have a go at promotion. Third is Jack has relatively little managerial experience - one more year in the Premiership will teach him a lot -  it's a big difference from managing Scottish Championship to English Championship.  

There's only one thing I'm thinking reading this. Alex Neil. Took Accies up at the first attempt, and by January (only a half-season Premier experience more than Jack) Norwich (a club who's recent years have been better than Ipswich with EPL spells) came in for him. He's had more playing experience there but with the last of those games coming in 2005 it's not like he was loaded with knowledge going into it. He has now done a very respectable job at Preston.

Jack's problem with refusing an offer is if things go tits up in the Premier League. If we are in a relegation dogfight and not making a good account of ourselves, his stock will decrease rapidly and hopes of moving to the English higher levels will die out. Even Danny Lennon, the man who gave us our highest SPL finish in our 9 year spell and our first major trophy since 1987, is now managing Clyde. While the chance is there, if the feeling is right Jack would be silly to reject it if he wants to take the move. Unless Jack does a Leicester and wins the league with us, how many better clubs than Ipswich will want to speak with him?

Any move to England would be life changing financially. Put the football side to one side, he has a young family to look after and if a chance comes up that he feels he is capable of and comfortable with, and is offered, I am sure he will.

The price of success.

Edited by kevo_smfc

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Well Barcelona congratulated us on a great team move ending with a wonderful goal which was nominated for Goal of the season. Like Barcelona we play with a team of midgets but its hard working, free flowing and exciting. The best football we have watched in many a year.

Blimey. That's some superb football. Imagine us being set up with seven at the back for years then looking at that!

Just like to echo my fellow East Anglians' sentiments on your board- some decent discussion on this thread, unlike some forums we could mention!
Would like to pull up on this point. Though we are £90m in 'debt', that debt is personally underwritten  by Evans with the understanding that it would be written off in case of a sale. It is only reflective of his net investment over 10 years. We aren't big spenders by any means, so need a manager who can spend shrewdly and search the lower/foreign leagues for gems. We had happy hunting with Mings who was scouted at non-league, bought for £10k and sold for £8m+, though since leaving has been completely crocked.
Not only that but we need a strong, positive character who can keep the currently sky-high dressing room morale as it is. McCarthy was great at doing that and quickly weeded out negative influences. Ross seems the type to do that.
However, my only concern would be his connections in the game, in terms of attracting Prem loans, etc. McCarthy, again, had excellent connections, so we were able to capitalise on loans from Spurs, City, et al.
Cheers!

Style of play?

Ignore that previous post of a Barcalonaesque goal... a total fluke.

Turgid negative shite week after week... Holding out for a draw if possible and fluking a lot of wins!

Awful to watch. Truly awful!

[emoji16][emoji23]

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

Style of play?

Ignore that previous post of a Barcalonaesque goal... a total fluke.

Turgid negative shite week after week... Holding out for a draw if possible and fluking a lot of wins!

Awful to watch. Truly awful!

emoji16.pngemoji23.png

Good try EK... Love your style. 

42 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well as  Saints fan- I do care what he does.......... if he stays then great, but this was and is a possibility. That's what happens to success in football. I am sure that IF Jack decides he is better off elsewhere the BOD that appointed him will have another suitor lined up..... my money is on Goodie................

My money is on this approach.... 

19 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

And here's the other thing: no one's asked about style of play yet. How does your man approach games? We're craving more attacking intent and quality. MM's football was suited to Suffolk in that it was agricultural, but not to ITFC fans who have enjoyed free-flowing, gung-ho football for decades

Ross' dressing rom influence has been incredible. It was noticeable as we were making our comeback to avoid relegation in 16/17 and he managed to make a lot of his Jan signings permanent in the summer. All the player interviews mentioned the "feeling" in the dressing room. The positivity never left them through the season. Most of them may not experience it on such a good scale again. It was brilliant.

The connections could be a problem. His connections in Scotland (combined with his assistant Fowler) are excellent for a club like ourselves. But where Ipswich is an obvious step up in quality this could be difficult. That being said Alex Neil hasn't been held back by that since moving to England, so it's not something he can't work around.

Quality of football? Best the Saints have seen in years. The fans who disliked MM for style needn't worry, Jack had us playing some wonderful football.

28 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

Cheers!

He's useless in the loan market and plays sh!te negative football. Tell your chairman will you?

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

That was the week Alex Rae lent a hand. Now there's a real manager  ITFCReuser. You'll find him at Ibrox licking Dave Kings.....

Edited by stlucifer