Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

4 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

There's only one thing I'm thinking reading this. Alex Neil. Took Accies up at the first attempt, and by January (only a half-season Premier experience more than Jack) Norwich (a club who's recent years have been better than Ipswich with EPL spells) came in for him. He's had more playing experience there but with the last of those games coming in 2005 it's not like he was loaded with knowledge going into it. He has now done a very respectable job at Preston.

Jack's problem with refusing an offer is if things go tits up in the Premier League. If we are in a relegation dogfight and not making a good account of ourselves, his stock will decrease rapidly and hopes of moving to the English higher levels will die out. Even Danny Lennon, the man who gave us our highest SPL finish in our 9 year spell and our first major trophy since 1987, is now managing Clyde. While the chance is there, if the feeling is right Jack would be silly to reject it if he wants to take the move. Unless Jack does a Leicester and wins the league with us, how many better clubs than Ipswich will want to speak with him?

Fair enough and all credit to Alex Neil. However he spent 5 years as a player in Divisions One and Two so had a good knowledge of the English game at that level and he also had  experience of being a manager in the Scottish Premiership. Maybe not much of a difference but it makes Neil a better fit in my poinion.

Jack may make a hash of next season with us and his reputation plummets. But I have faith that he will gain more experience and be a (relative) success and be a better fit for the higher Leagues in England. I think the sky could be the limit for Jack just like it was with Sir Alex. Maybe this is just a bit too soon for Jack. I would advise him to stay with us for another year :)

Just another Tractor popping by! Have to echo the sentiments of the other Town fans on here, it’s  a pleasure reading this forum and the way many of you view our club!

From what I’ve read, Ross would be a brilliant route for us to take. There is great foundations in place at the club for him, of which I do thank McCarthy for even if I am certain him leaving was absolutely the correct decision, no matter what his mates in the game say. 

Plenty of youth coming through, the team have really stuck together since and the caretaker(s) were those who are heavily involved in the youth teams. Our older players have also been chipping in, including the captain Chambers, and it appears these players will transfer into Town coaches.

Regarding finances, although we don’t pay millions for transfers like other championship clubs, we are very competitive on wages and this is where people in football do not look. We’ve actually offloaded a few large wages in recent weeks (McGoldrick, Hyam, loanees including Man City youngster Celina) so he would certainly be given some funding. 

Once again it’s a pleasure to be on here and wish you luck going forward whichever way these talks go 

5 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Ross' dressing rom influence has been incredible. It was noticeable as we were making our comeback to avoid relegation in 16/17 and he managed to make a lot of his Jan signings permanent in the summer. All the player interviews mentioned the "feeling" in the dressing room. The positivity never left them through the season. Most of them may not experience it on such a good scale again. It was brilliant.

The connections could be a problem. His connections in Scotland (combined with his assistant Fowler) are excellent for a club like ourselves. But where Ipswich is an obvious step up in quality this could be difficult. That being said Alex Neil hasn't been held back by that since moving to England, so it's not something he can't work around.

Quality of football? Best the Saints have seen in years. The fans who disliked MM for style needn't worry, Jack had us playing some wonderful football.

Great post, cheers.

Encouraging to hear he can really galvanise a group of players during tough times and foster such a positive spirit amongst the squad. Sadly, we've had to endure the man-management/press-relation style of Roy Keane ("No players want to come to Ipswich because the town is sh1t."), followed by Paul Jewell (Lovely man, wet as water, awful manager), and then MM who 'allegedly' told the fans to f*ck off during our derby with N*rwich. A more positive mood from a manager who appreciates the role would be very welcome. 

Our Prem loans over recent years have been vital to our relative successes, so this, for me, is the major problem of an appointment. Burley has thrown his hat in, though, and could possibly contribute in some way to that, as well as having Bryan Klug (great links at Spurs) as our Head of Academy. 

Alex Neil is a budgie gollum. Though I'm pleased to see PNE doing well.

As I've said in a reply to another post, the football looks scintillating- despite some posters trying to fool us otherwise ;)

Lets be honest Jack would be mad not to take the Ipswich job if hes offered it, there's no guarantee we will be a success 

in the Premiership and one poor season could really harm Jacks reputation, he's got to strike while the iron is hot, 

Would hate to see him leave but if he does then lets bring Goodie home.

Jack will go sooner or later he's a good young manager who has done a fantastic job with our club, he came in last year and saved us and then this season took us back to the Premier , but we all know that. That's three approaches and each time jack has spoken to the clubs(if the Dundee approach was true) so he is obviously looking to try himself at other clubs or leagues and that's his right to be ambitious.

Not ideal for us in anyway but it would probably be better if he was to leave now rather that just before or just after the season begins. I was maybe expecting that Jack would at least have another season here but if its not to be then so be it . If he goes then he must surely go with all our thanks and best wishes.

But would say "DON'T GO JACK".

Swansea, qpr and Ipswich all looking for managers for championship next season and probably another 2 or 3 over the next few weeks not to mention somebody coming in for mcinnes, Lennon or Clarke it's going to be a very long summer

Ross' dressing rom influence has been incredible. It was noticeable as we were making our comeback to avoid relegation in 16/17 and he managed to make a lot of his Jan signings permanent in the summer. All the player interviews mentioned the "feeling" in the dressing room. The positivity never left them through the season. Most of them may not experience it on such a good scale again. It was brilliant.
The connections could be a problem. His connections in Scotland (combined with his assistant Fowler) are excellent for a club like ourselves. But where Ipswich is an obvious step up in quality this could be difficult. That being said Alex Neil hasn't been held back by that since moving to England, so it's not something he can't work around.
Quality of football? Best the Saints have seen in years. The fans who disliked MM for style needn't worry, Jack had us playing some wonderful football.
Clype!

As St Mirren fans we've seen this all before, usually with players. I trust GLS and Tony Fitzpatrick to choose a decent successor should he leave. We're in a good place right now as a club and one man doesn't make the club. I really hope Jack stays but what will be, will be.

The last year or so has been brilliant. Another great escape, a Championship, positive, attacking football, clean sheets galore, exciting young talent, atmosphere on a Saturday, great travelling support and probably more if I took a bit more time. Brilliant!

Next year though, irrespective of the manager, is going to be a shitfest just like most of the years we’ve played in the top league.

Ipswich could provide Jack with a fantastic platform to further his ambitions or they could ruin them like so many Scottish managers have had them ruined by going down South. The money will be ridiculous in comparison, I’d imagine and that surely is a massive factor?

I wouldn’t imagine it’s a done deal by any means as Jack, good as he is, would represent a gamble by Ipswich and maybe (hopefully) they’ll look for more experience for their next manager.

Given the calibre of vacancies that appear to be coming up it's pretty difficult to see JR not being tempted by one of them so if it's going to be that he's not going to be here for the start of the season better he goes quickly and a new appointee gets to assemble there own team. Let's face it if it's not Ipswich it will be another club next week and so on. It looks pretty inevitable to me he won't be here come the first game of the new season.

1 hour ago, Mykey said:

Swansea, qpr and Ipswich all looking for managers for championship next season and probably another 2 or 3 over the next few weeks not to mention somebody coming in for mcinnes, Lennon or Clarke it's going to be a very long summer

I'd forgotten QPR were looking for someone, plus West Brom could well be looking for someone if they don't appoint Darren Moore. That's a good few vacancies and the English Championship only finished at the weekend! Plus, as you indicate there's the domino effect that while Jack might not get one of the current vacancies, McInnes or someone might and he'll end up replacing them.

Ultimately we're just going to have to accept every time a decent job comes up he'll be linked with it, although it gets a bit more real when he's given permission to speak to a club.

We should be an attractive proposition for any new manager if he does go, certainly far more than the last few times we've been looking. Suggestions like Robbie Neilson and Stuart McCall seem realistic enough to me and you could maybe chuck Alan Stubbs in too.

5 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Lived in Ipswich for 4 years and was season ticket holder also.

Ipswich are a fantastic club but if I was Jack Ross, on balance I wouldn't take this job.

5 years ago I would have said bite their hand off.

Since Marcus Evans arrived the level of investment in playing squad has consistently decreased to the point where they rely on a superb youth system and picking up loan signings (bit like us !).

Mick McCarthy done a fantastic job but was hounded out by sections of the support and I think Ipswich could bitterly regret it.

12 clubs in the Championship now have parachute payments of which Ipswich is not one, so the gap is enormous.

Having said that Marcus Evans is a brilliant chairman for managers to work under and maybe he is prepared to reinvest in the club.

Also Wagner had nowt at Huddersfield when he started and his talent delivered everything.

I think it would be a huge gamble for both Jack Ross and Ipswich.

If I was Jack Ross i would do a year in Premiership in Scotland.

I knew Ipswich would approach him, not suprised at all, but a very difficult job.

Think Jack should speak to Mick McCarthy first !

I find this rather interesting, I too have a friend who is an Ipswich fan and broadly speaking he agrees that the club is probably a good place for a younger slightly inexperienced (in England) manager to move to , he to thinks that whoever get the job will be given time ... however apparently the owner Marcus Evens is not necessarily such a paragon as he is made out to be, I'm informed that he was on the periphery of a 'ticket tout' scam selling Olympic games tickets and whilst one has to applaud his sensible view on limiting his losses by keeping a firm hold of the purse strings, one does have to question his integrity.  And the question arises;  is Jack going to get on with him?  and as for Mick McCarthy; one would have to acknowledge the Ipswich fans greater take on how he operates at club level; but I have always found his relative straightforwardness refreshing and if   that was something that  Marcus Evens  didn't like; then I somehow don't see Jack Ross as a yes man. Anyway   all questions and supposition of course but it does perhaps give us a glimmer of hope that perhaps he will 'think about it'.   I do agree with the majority of fans in that whenever he does go; he would go with our best wishes; but in all honestly I'm sure we would rather that he didn't

2 hours ago, Mykey said:

Excellent points Mykey

12 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I find this rather interesting, I too have a friend who is an Ipswich fan and broadly speaking he agrees that the club is probably a good place for a younger slightly inexperienced (in England) manager to move to , he to thinks that whoever get the job will be given time ... however apparently the owner Marcus Evens is not necessarily such a paragon as he is made out to be, I'm informed that he was on the periphery of a 'ticket tout' scam selling Olympic games tickets and whilst one has to applaud his sensible view on limiting his losses by keeping a firm hold of the purse strings, one does have to question his integrity.  And the question arises;  is Jack going to get on with him?  and as for Mick McCarthy; one would have to acknowledge the Ipswich fans greater take on how he operates at club level; but I have always found his relative straightforwardness refreshing and if   that was something that  Marcus Evens  didn't like; then I somehow don't see Jack Ross as a yes man. Anyway   all questions and supposition of course but it does perhaps give us a glimmer of hope that perhaps he will 'think about it'.   I do agree with the majority of fans in that whenever he does go; he would go with our best wishes; but in all honestly I'm sure we would rather that he didn't

That wasn’t the case. Mick and Marcus actually seemed to get on really well, which is why Marcus didn’t sack him. It was an end of the contract situation and both agreed it would be best to part ways. 

2 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Lets be honest Jack would be mad not to take the Ipswich job if hes offered it, there's no guarantee he will be a success 

in the Premiership and one poor season could really harm Jacks reputation, he's got to strike while the iron is hot, 

Would hate to see him leave but if he does then lets bring Goodie home.

Like wise at Ipswich.

Excellent points Mykey
I suspect that an English premiership side wouldn't take the risk and Jack wouldn't go to a Scottish club other than tic, sevco, dons, hearts and hibs, but English championship is a problem for us, if you add Stoke and wba to the 3 I mentioned plus anywhere between 2 and 8 coming up over the next few weeks we will hear Jr's name mentioned constantly over the summer, we are who we are so won't always get what we want, so if we start the season with Jr I'll be delighted, if not, let's hope its not Alex Rae, Ian Murray or Tommy Craig, and more pep guardiola, givanni trappatoni, or????? Jim goodwin

I'm failing to see the love for Jim Goodwin as a manager so far. He's hardly set the Earth on fire at Alloa in the time he's been there. Yes they could still go up via the playoffs but so did Brechin last year after a slightly better than mediocre season.

I'm not saying he's not a good manager and won't go on to have a good career and it does feel slightly hypocritical given Jack came from Alloa but I'd like us to try something different with our next manager choice. We struck exceptionally lucky and picked very well with Jack who was the standout in the lower leagues at that point. There's no-one in League 1 or 2 right now who strikes me as a real opportunity missed if we don't go for them.