Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Our forum guru HarryFromBath has now done one of his famous 'Notes' on St Mirren and Jack Ross by delving through your forum. He does this before every game, compiling opinions on managers/players/us from opposition forums. Always well worth a read, very balanced and informative. You might even recognise one of your posts... 

What do you reckon? Fair assessment? 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/430228/st-mirren-supporters’-thoughts-on-jack-ross…/#0

8 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

Our forum guru HarryFromBath has now done one of his famous 'Notes' on St Mirren and Jack Ross by delving through your forum. He does this before every game, compiling opinions on managers/players/us from opposition forums. Always well worth a read, very balanced and informative. You might even recognise one of your posts... 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/430228/st-mirren-supporters’-thoughts-on-jack-ross…/#0

I'm disappointed that none of Lookatme's posts made it into the article.:whistle

It is a pretty fair assessment.

Edited by FTOF

I see my quote in there. Please be aware , if this move goes through I will be expecting my cut . Used £10 notes will do nicely [emoji106]

19 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

Think you're barking up the wrong tree with Jack. He's hopeless and only inherited a fantastic squad from Tommy Craig, Ian Murray and Alex Rae. 

Any one of those three are the sort of forward thinking mavericks you as a club should be going for. Not hopeless Jack. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think you're barking up the wrong tree with Jack. He's hopeless and only inherited a fantastic squad from Tommy Craig, Ian Murray and Alex Rae. 

Any one of those three are the sort of forward thinking mavericks you as a club should be going for. Not hopeless Jack. 

To be honest mate, I'm torn. Burley's thrown his name in there and I'd love to see him manage us again. Clearly loves the club, gave me some of my best Town memories and speaks so passionately about the job. Only prospective name that's got my heart racing... until now- JR sounds right up our street. It has to be said that our owner's two top 'advisors' are fecking 'Arry and David Pleat... god help us.

Robbie Neilson I could live with but any of McCall, Hopkin not for me.
It's too soon for Jim in my opinion.
I wasn't being choirmaster for Goodwin and agree it's probably too early for him yet. When you've got Tommy Craig as your manager you'll happily take anyone to replace him and we did, likewise if you have Ian Murray or Alex rae as your manager you'll take absolutely anybody to replace them and we did, our problem with recruitment now is the elevated position jack has taken us to. In order to replace him we are trying to recruit someone to take us to top 6. Obviously Jack hasn't taken us there yet but he has instilled that hope in us (again obviously remembering that it's the hope that kills you) Robbie Neilson isn't a terrible shout but I really can't think of anyone who I'd be happy with if Jack left whereas in previous appointments I can't think of many that I wouldn't have been happy with. I suppose we've been spoiled recently. Having said that I saw my first game in 1965 so I suppose I've seen it all before though nobody gets time to build a team anymore either you sacked in a year or off to a better team, but I sound like TT now indeed like TT

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Rank rotten.

His team is...

Defensive shambles.

Missing midfield.

And strikers..don't mention strikers. 

Hasn't a clue.

Relies on the kit man for tactics.

(Is that OK EK)

55 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

To be honest mate, I'm torn. Burley's thrown his name in there and I'd love to see him manage us again. Clearly loves the club, gave me some of my best Town memories and speaks so passionately about the job. Only prospective name that's got my heart racing... until now- JR sounds right up our street. It has to be said that our owner's two top 'advisors' are fecking 'Arry and David Pleat... god help us.

We've got previous with David Pleat when he was trying to sign Frank McAvennie.

Luton picked up the bill to send a St.Mirren entourage down south with McAvennie, only for him to sign for West Ham instead during the trip.  :lol:

Hopefully Pleat still holds a grudge and will look elsewhere.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/face-to-face-frank-mcavennie-1631528

It was Lyall who first made him a Hammer when McAvennie was actually supposed to be signing for David Pleat at Luton Town. Lyall met him after the clock had struck midnight at a service station which was closed and in pitch darkness. And picking up the bill were, yes, Luton!

"I'd become St Mirren's top scorer from midfield and clubs started taking notice," McAvennie said. "David Pleat got hold of our phone number and was always talking to mam and dad. Eventually a deal was done between Luton and my club but not with me.

"I had to fly to London to meet David - we were on first name terms by now - but when he introduced me to his chairman, a Tory MP, he clipped me on the back of the head and said `welcome'. I didn't like that and wouldn't sign.

"I was then told by St Mirren they had also agreed terms with West Ham. They had conveniently forgotten to mention that. There were six of us down from Paisley including directors and we were staying in a hotel at Luton's expense but a phone call went in to Lyall informing him of the situation.

"He met us all at Toddington Services at quarter to one in the morning. They were closed, of course - God knows what we all looked like skulking around in the dark. Lyall said he'd give me 10 grand signing-on fee but I was tired and a cheeky blighter and said unless I got #15,000 I was up the road home.

"John phoned all night and the next day flew up on the morning flight and signed me". 

1 hour ago, ITFCReuser said:

I see a couple of paragraphs about the 'lose and you're relegated 'game at Falkirk.

There was something in the air that day because we were bottom with two games left, with  a pretty pedestrian, defensive team, and then this happened. Safe by 4.45pm.

Fully understand Jack has to talk to interested clubs but it is getting very frustrating not only for fans players also it's a huge distraction.  If a , BIG IF Jack stays he should say I'm staying one season guaranteed the club should back that up also with a whole season also. 

This is a tough call , and the outcome will be about how much JR believes in himself. There is no steadier job in the Championship than Ipswich , he would get away with a poor season I think as long as they don't go down. On the other hand , if he really believes he can he can do the business with us , he may stay , as it would give him even more bargaining power with any suitors !

I doubt the suitors won't be much bigger than Ipswich if he keeps us up next season or achieves a decent position in the league. I expect he will go due to what will be on offer ( with a negotiated increase in salary the following year) after a relatively successful first season. Would expect Ipswich to be there or thereabouts 2nd season and achieving promotion in the 3rd if he hasn't done it by the 2nd season. After that the big boys will be having a look at him. I genuinely believe that he is one of the most complete (skillset wise) young managers in Britain but will need to get a grip of the English game, players, budgets etc that will allow him to make a difference. A modern day manager at a smaller club like us was a perfect fit and Ipswich (unfortunately) looks like the natural next step for him. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him being a top Premiership team or European team  manager by 2025. Might seem biased or optimistic for him but if you break it down he has the character, drive, metal, bond and playing style that good club owners should be looking for, The only reason a bigger club won't look at him now is due to how higher earning players may respond to him but given time he will earn his stripes. I hope we get a decent bit of compensation and would also include if possible a clause for a portion of compensation when he moves on again. I know it is slightly different for managers but I agree with Fitzy has the potential to be a great so make sure we protect our interest.

I really don't see any manager around (in Scotland anyway) with a similar skill set that can do what he has done with us and would be inclined to think outside the box a bit with new appointments when it comes to it. Robbie Neilson has been mentioned but not sure he is the man to move us forward. It will probably take a combined unit of personnel to bring what jack and james has done and would surprisingly suggest a trio of Stephen Thompson, Jim Duffy and Ally McCoist. Thommo has got the heart of the club and a good relationship with the fans. Duffy is an old head who would be a good assistant and Ally was never the right man for the job at Rangers (or was anyone) the shit they were in but believe he would be a good coach around the place. I also expect some sarcastic comments to the above so knock yourselves out.

4 hours ago, truesaint said:

It will probably take a combined unit of personnel to bring what jack and james has done and would surprisingly suggest a trio of Stephen Thompson, Jim Duffy and Ally McCoist. Thommo has got the heart of the club and a good relationship with the fans. Duffy is an old head who would be a good assistant and Ally was never the right man for the job at Rangers (or was anyone) the shit they were in but believe he would be a good coach around the place. I also expect some sarcastic comments to the above so knock yourselves out.

Nothing sarcastic about it but one way to guarantee not shifting season tickets is to bring in Jim Duffy and Ally McCoist.

Hopefully neither should, or will be within 100 miles of the vacancy if it become available.