Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

4 hours ago, truesaint said:

I doubt the suitors won't be much bigger than Ipswich if he keeps us up next season or achieves a decent position in the league. I expect he will go due to what will be on offer ( with a negotiated increase in salary the following year) after a relatively successful first season. Would expect Ipswich to be there or thereabouts 2nd season and achieving promotion in the 3rd if he hasn't done it by the 2nd season. After that the big boys will be having a look at him. I genuinely believe that he is one of the most complete (skillset wise) young managers in Britain but will need to get a grip of the English game, players, budgets etc that will allow him to make a difference. A modern day manager at a smaller club like us was a perfect fit and Ipswich (unfortunately) looks like the natural next step for him. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him being a top Premiership team or European team  manager by 2025. Might seem biased or optimistic for him but if you break it down he has the character, drive, metal, bond and playing style that good club owners should be looking for, The only reason a bigger club won't look at him now is due to how higher earning players may respond to him but given time he will earn his stripes. I hope we get a decent bit of compensation and would also include if possible a clause for a portion of compensation when he moves on again. I know it is slightly different for managers but I agree with Fitzy has the potential to be a great so make sure we protect our interest.

I really don't see any manager around (in Scotland anyway) with a similar skill set that can do what he has done with us and would be inclined to think outside the box a bit with new appointments when it comes to it. Robbie Neilson has been mentioned but not sure he is the man to move us forward. It will probably take a combined unit of personnel to bring what jack and james has done and would surprisingly suggest a trio of Stephen Thompson, Jim Duffy and Ally McCoist. Thommo has got the heart of the club and a good relationship with the fans. Duffy is an old head who would be a good assistant and Ally was never the right man for the job at Rangers (or was anyone) the shit they were in but believe he would be a good coach around the place. I also expect some sarcastic comments to the above so knock yourselves out.

Hopefully you aren’t on the selection panel.

dont believe what the media spins. Duffy is f**king brutal.

5 hours ago, truesaint said:

I doubt the suitors won't be much bigger than Ipswich if he keeps us up next season or achieves a decent position in the league. I expect he will go due to what will be on offer ( with a negotiated increase in salary the following year) after a relatively successful first season. Would expect Ipswich to be there or thereabouts 2nd season and achieving promotion in the 3rd if he hasn't done it by the 2nd season. After that the big boys will be having a look at him. I genuinely believe that he is one of the most complete (skillset wise) young managers in Britain but will need to get a grip of the English game, players, budgets etc that will allow him to make a difference. A modern day manager at a smaller club like us was a perfect fit and Ipswich (unfortunately) looks like the natural next step for him. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him being a top Premiership team or European team  manager by 2025. Might seem biased or optimistic for him but if you break it down he has the character, drive, metal, bond and playing style that good club owners should be looking for, The only reason a bigger club won't look at him now is due to how higher earning players may respond to him but given time he will earn his stripes. I hope we get a decent bit of compensation and would also include if possible a clause for a portion of compensation when he moves on again. I know it is slightly different for managers but I agree with Fitzy has the potential to be a great so make sure we protect our interest.

I really don't see any manager around (in Scotland anyway) with a similar skill set that can do what he has done with us and would be inclined to think outside the box a bit with new appointments when it comes to it. Robbie Neilson has been mentioned but not sure he is the man to move us forward. It will probably take a combined unit of personnel to bring what jack and james has done and would surprisingly suggest a trio of Stephen Thompson, Jim Duffy and Ally McCoist. Thommo has got the heart of the club and a good relationship with the fans. Duffy is an old head who would be a good assistant and Ally was never the right man for the job at Rangers (or was anyone) the shit they were in but believe he would be a good coach around the place. I also expect some sarcastic comments to the above so knock yourselves out.

So untried pundit, a tried but failed pundit and a man that's just been sacked by Morton ? 

Can I get back to you ?

Correct. Gordon and the rest of the board have a successor plan, the same as any competent business would do.
Let's hope they don't need to invoke it!
I have mentioned this on and off the Forum for months that our next managerial appoint (when Jack eventually leaves) could make or break "The House that Jack Built".

All the good work done by Danny Lennon was quickly ruined by TC, Ian Murray looked like the best option to turn that round but just didn't work out, then why we appointed a radio Clyde pundit as manager again was a crazy decision.

I'm glad Gordon and the board are looking at possible successors but I do not see anyone out there in the mould of a good young Scottish manager like we thought Murray was and Jack Ross proved he is.

I think Goodwin would be a bad choice again and the others being named Aitken, Hopkin etc absolutely terrify me the thought of them taking over Jack's team.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I have mentioned this on and off the Forum for months that our next managerial appoint (when Jack eventually leaves) could make or break "The House that Jack Built".

All the good work done by Danny Lennon was quickly ruined by TC, Ian Murray looked like the best option to turn that round but just didn't work out, then why we appointed a radio Clyde pundit as manager again was a crazy decision.

I'm glad Gordon and the board are looking at possible successors but I do not see anyone out there in the mould of a good young Scottish manager like we thought Murray was and Jack Ross proved he is.

I think Goodwin would be a bad choice again and the others being named Aitken, Hopkin etc absolutely terrify me the thought of them taking over Jack's team.

Austin MacPhee anyone? Intelligent guy and maybe ready to become a head coach.

Really hope Jack takes this job the thought of more clubs one after another during the summer is very unsettling for players never mind fans.  Its no use bringing in a new manager if Jack has signd a full sauad. Fully understand Jack will go at some point but every few month is not on its time the club make a stand if Jack does not take the Ipswich job. It has to be one more season or move on now. If Jack takes the job Robbie Nelson is a no brainer.  

Just now, Ethan said:

Jack could realistically knock all this on the head if he really wants to give it a go in the SPL. However the fact he is keen to talk to all interested parties shows he has an eye elsewhere. 

It's a shame - I was hoping the additional profile that Gerrard was bringing to the game would help convince Jack to stay for at least a season. 

If he leaves, then Neilson all the way as replacement for me - the only issue being if Hearts decide they want him back. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

I heard the guy is a total charlatan. 

Haven't heard any negative stuff about the guy. He seems an interesting character. I would assume the Board would be asking all the right questions before they would interview him or anyone else.

16 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

What the hell is he supposed to do? Tell Ipswich to f**k off and warn other clubs to avoid him? We might as well tell the likes of Cammy Smith and Kyle Magennis to piss off too then as they are two players capable of going on to better things. Don't even know why we brought Morgan back on loan, he should have told Celtic to bugger off instead of taking their offer and then having the cheek to come back. Interest in Jack is of no shock to us. He will move when he feels the right offer comes in (Ipswich is a possibility, much better than Barnsley). Until he signs a contract for someone else, he will be working his arse off for us getting things in place like normal.

Btw the headline reads Ipswich ask permission to speak to Jack Ross. Not Jack Ross begs Saints board to speak to Ipswich. It isn't like he's come out declaring his undying love of Ipswich Town FC and how he'd much rather be there than here. Give the man a break ffs, without him we'd have been visiting Albion Rovers and Arbroath this season.

12 hours ago, Hambud said:

Why even listen to this guy he from Cornwall and has admitted to not seeing much of us.

Probably Dicko in disguise making up stories just to get rid of JR.

Yes, clearly I want rid of JR :rolleyes:

Been thinking on this one

First- He hasnt been offered anything.................... clubs like Ipswich will probably identify 10 -15 managers

JR will be allowed to talk with any club that approaches- POSITIVE

He has just signed new deal with us- POSTIVE

He will have been given assurances by our BOD- POSITIVE

He knows how fickle football is- NEGATIVE/positive

He has our support- POSTIVE

Ipswich had a toxic relationship with last manager- NEGATIVE

Ipswich have no chance of making play offs- NEGATIVE

Have every chance of going down- Likely WBA, Swansea, Stoke, plus the usual big contenders will challenge......  NEGATIVE-

A bad season at Ipswich could ruin his ambitions - NEGATIVE

The English Championship plays 46 games , usually 2 a week, plus Cups- he will need a huge squad and they are in huge debt- LOTS OF NEGS

The life expectancy of a Championship manager is 8 months NEG

East Anglia is flat and a little pointless - NEG

Basically- ==== Jack will stay...................

More famous than you think. Go through the generations of Robbie's family and you will find he is the descendent of the man called John Neilson responsible for the JN Institution. 
If that's the case then he will obviously bring several excellent qualities with him. [emoji310]

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

First- He hasnt been offered anything.................... clubs like Ipswich will probably identify 10 -15 managers

Have every chance of going down- Likely WBA, Swansea, Stoke, plus the usual big contenders will challenge......  NEGATIVE-

The English Championship plays 46 games , usually 2 a week, plus Cups- he will need a huge squad and they are in huge debt- LOTS OF NEGS

You have put too much thought into that mate. Just want this settled as quick as possible very frustrating.  

10 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

May I add to that comment that we was toxic towards him, because he couldn't get any of our players to string 3 passes together. You sit there and watch the ball sail down the channel for 6 years and then tell me you're happy with it!

If Ross plays football, where it should be played (on the grass), he will be given bundles of time by the supporters, I can assure you of that. 

It would appear that the way things are set up at the moment (to suit the bigger, richer clubs) managers can have their cake and eat it!

Different rules apply to players who are on fixed contracts and they cannot be approached and moved on within their contract period.

At the same time, Jack has done well for and by St Mirren. If the reports are accurate, he has been able to enhance his original contract on more than one occasion to entice him to stay at St Mirren. However, this does not appear to prevent him from entertaining any subsequent approaches, as and when he chooses.

I am not blaming JR for this state of affairs, but how can the smaller clubs plan for the future when they have this constant threat hanging over them?

It is time that managers were governed by the same rules as the players, which would mean that managers could not be poached by bigger, richer clubs during their contract period.

Just now, ITFCBlue said:

May I add to that comment that we was toxic towards him, because he couldn't get any of our players to string 3 passes together. You sit there and watch the ball sail down the channel for 6 years and then tell me you're happy with it!

If Ross plays football, where it should be played (on the grass), he will be given bundles of time by the supporters, I can assure you of that. 

Me thinks DougJamie has his tongue firmly in his cheek ITFCBlue. No way East Anglia is flat.

Just now, Johnny Rep said:

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on, somebody offers you more money for the exact same job,with a better standard of living,climate etc.

Good luck to JR.

They are for the players, who do not enjoy the same freedom of movement.

21 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It would appear that the way things are set up at the moment (to suit the bigger, richer clubs) managers can have their cake and eat it!

Different rules apply to players who are on fixed contracts and they cannot be approached and moved on within their contract period.

At the same time, Jack has done well for and by St Mirren. If the reports are accurate, he has been able to enhance his original contract on more than one occasion to entice him to stay at St Mirren. However, this does not appear to prevent him from entertaining any subsequent approaches, as and when he chooses.

I am not blaming JR for this state of affairs, but how can the smaller clubs plan for the future when they have this constant threat hanging over them?

It is time that managers were governed by the same rules as the players, which would mean that managers could not be poached by bigger, richer clubs during their contract period.

The best that can be done is what I believe we have done, and what many clubs do - have a compensation amount written into the manager's contract which means they get something when the manager moves on. 

There's more chance of transfer fees being done away with than managers being traded in the same way players are at the moment.

Hi,

I'm also an Ipswich fan. I would like to thank you for the kind comments about our club. Most fans in England see us as being 'tinpot' because we're a traditional family club who don't throw money at trying to win the league like most other teams.  

From your comments it seems like Jack Ross is very highly thought of up in Scotland and is exactly the type of manager us ITFC fans want to see. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on his style of football / approach to games? Does he play defensive or attacking football? Does he play to win the game or not to lose?

Whether he joins us or not I wish you all the best back in the SPL next season.

Cheers,