Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

50 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Been thinking on this one

First- He hasnt been offered anything.................... clubs like Ipswich will probably identify 10 -15 managers

JR will be allowed to talk with any club that approaches- POSITIVE

He has just signed new deal with us- POSTIVE

He will have been given assurances by our BOD- POSITIVE

He knows how fickle football is- NEGATIVE/positive

He has our support- POSTIVE

Ipswich had a toxic relationship with last manager- NEGATIVE

Ipswich have no chance of making play offs- NEGATIVE

Have every chance of going down- Likely WBA, Swansea, Stoke, plus the usual big contenders will challenge......  NEGATIVE-

A bad season at Ipswich could ruin his ambitions - NEGATIVE

The English Championship plays 46 games , usually 2 a week, plus Cups- he will need a huge squad and they are in huge debt- LOTS OF NEGS

The life expectancy of a Championship manager is 8 months NEG

East Anglia is flat and a little pointless - NEG

Basically- ==== Jack will stay...................

Sorry but you are wrong on many of your negatives. Without going into it too much and at the risk of repeating myself, our debt is irrelevant as it is our owners personal debt, if he goes he will have to walk away with it and he is happy to plug our losses to the tune of around £6m a year. We are perfectly capable with our current squad of challenging for play offs - without question. Finally, our managers just don't get sacked in a hurry, never have done. Since turning professional in 1936 we have only had 15 managers!

If you really want some reasons why he won't come  to us then I'll list them and it might cheer you up.

1/ He hasn't been offered the job. He might not take it anyway if offered

2/ We have had over 100 applicants - some of very high quality

3/ Personally I don't think he is our no 1 target. I don't know this for a fact but I think it is Paul Hurst - or possibly Frank Lampard.

4/ Although I would expect Ross to get paid very well (Marcus Evans pays good wages) I don't think Marcus will be prepared to pay much of a release clause.

5/ He is my first choice and I never get what I want.

7 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Sorry but you are wrong on many of your negatives. Without going into it too much and at the risk of repeating myself, our debt is irrelevant as it is our owners personal debt, if he goes he will have to walk away with it and he is happy to plug our losses to the tune of around £6m a year. We are perfectly capable with our current squad of challenging for play offs - without question. Finally, our managers just don't get sacked in a hurry, never have done. Since turning professional in 1936 we have only had 15 managers!

If you really want some reasons why he won't come  to us then I'll list them and it might cheer you up.

3/ Personally I don't think he is our no 1 target. I don't know this for a fact but I think it is Paul Hurst - or possibly Frank Lampard.

4/ Although I would expect Ross to get paid very well (Marcus Evans pays good wages) I don't think Marcus will be prepared to pay much of a release clause.

Spot on.

We are by no means 'skint' as all the money is owed to Marcus Evans. We pay reasonably high wages and paid good fees for loan players and the odd transfer. Our youth squad is brimming with talent and we have a hat full of players coming back from injury ready for next season.

Even the most die hard St Mirren fans must admit that we are a huge opportunity for Jack Ross. If it fails with us then I'm sure he'd be welcome back with open arms at St Mirren so it's not a huge gamble for him. If he has a bad season in Scotland next year then his stock will fall drastically and wouldn't get approached by good English clubs afterwards so would have to take his opportunity now.

If I was a St Mirren fan then the one positive I have seen when looking on his Wikipedia page is that when he was at Hartlepool (half the distance from St Mirren to Ipswich) he kicked up a stink about leaving as he was too home sick. So a lot would depend on whether he and his family would want to move so far from home I would imagine. 

Besides, I still think Paul Hurst is our number 1 target, but he may not leave Shrewsbury if he gets them promoted and we'd need back up options in case we don't get our man. I would be very surprised if we don't approach Hurst after the playoffs regardless of what league they are in.

I'm curious to know what style St Mirren play and whether he's developed young players up there as that's really key to whoever we bring in.

36 minutes ago, ITFC306 said:

Hi,

I'm also an Ipswich fan. I would like to thank you for the kind comments about our club. Most fans in England see us as being 'tinpot' because we're a traditional family club who don't throw money at trying to win the league like most other teams.  

From your comments it seems like Jack Ross is very highly thought of up in Scotland and is exactly the type of manager us ITFC fans want to see. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on his style of football / approach to games? Does he play defensive or attacking football? Does he play to win the game or not to lose?

Whether he joins us or not I wish you all the best back in the SPL next season.

Cheers, 

Its turgid stuff. Hoof ball tactics with 8 players defending at all times.

This gives you an idea of how boring we are. Stay well clear.

( In the team that just scooshed the League we fielded usually 4 or 5  players 21 or under and 3 who were Academy players. 3 other Academy players were sold last season).

Edited by Sonny

33 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Very good reply..................

Obviously you had Bobby Robson as one of them managers and he is/ was one of the best ever................

Ipswich are held in high regard here, however I just feel with the English Premier , it messes it all up. Massive parachute payments- don't seem to work, due to ridiculous wage demands and risks that some clubs take to stay up also because clubs like Ipswich have to spend/ find millions to compete- This season it looks like only one team relegated h from last terms a chance of getting back.

We also realize that a club like yours with 25000 fans ,   is an attraction, but the way Ipswich were portrayed up here, was that Mick was doing really well..... 12th, still has you ahead of Leeds, Forrest, Wed, Norwich and Hull.................

So maybe you're right  , I would say look at Alex Neil. Did very well at Norwich initially, younger than Jack................ so that might be the attraction...

Whatever you do-  Don't go for Pardew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as it pains me to say it I think this is one option which Jack will/should take.

His stock as a manager is as high as it's going to get at the moment. Just won the championship and manager of the year.

To keep it at that level he'd need to win a cup next year or at least get us into the top 6 which is unlikely if we are being honest.

If we were to finish 8th it would be a really good season for us but I cant see championship clubs queuing up for a manager who finished 8th in the Scottish premiership.

Ipswich arent a basket case of a club which alot of other English championship clubs are. Got good British owners who give the manager time and a solid fan base They've been in thay division for a long time and it's not unreasonable for him to be looking at winning the title with them next season.

More often than not when a position becomes available it's because the club are doing badly. This is not the case with Ipswich - football managers have a shelf-life and MMs has expired much as DLs did with us.

Don't see JR getting a better gig elsewhere at this stage of his career, if and when the inevitable happens we just have to hope we pick a good successor.  

10 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Very good reply..................

Obviously you had Bobby Robson as one of them managers and he is/ was one of the best ever................

Ipswich are held in high regard here, however I just feel with the English Premier , it messes it all up. Massive parachute payments- don't seem to work, due to ridiculous wage demands and risks that some clubs take to stay up also because clubs like Ipswich have to spend/ find millions to compete- This season it looks like only one team relegated h from last terms a chance of getting back.

We also realize that a club like yours with 25000 fans ,   is an attraction, but the way Ipswich were portrayed up here, was that Mick was doing really well..... 12th, still has you ahead of Leeds, Forrest, Wed, Norwich and Hull.................

So maybe you're right  , I would say look at Alex Neil. Did very well at Norwich initially, younger than Jack................ so that might be the attraction...

Whatever you do-  Don't go for Pardew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Pardew is on the hit list!

It seemed at first everything was concentrating on Mowbray but that now looks remote, partly because he looks like he is staying put and partly (I believe) because we have had more interest than we imagined and probably a higher calibre than we imagined. Gerrard was apparently interested as is Lampard and I think these sort of names attract our owner but whatever happens I think Evans is going to go with a young man and just work on a gradual build. I don't think the Prem is the be all and end all but it would be nice to go up and stay there. The problem with The Prem is that it is often a suicide mission, Norwich have absolutely no money and came down with a very large wage bill. Our owner is worth close to £800m, Delia Smith is worth £23m, it has got to the stage where an owner with wealth of £23m is red alert time.

I really think all us lot want is attractive football and progress of sorts. Alex Neil was sacked in a state of panic, he seems to be doing well at Preston. Maybe I'm a bit old and in fairy land but I don't accept that big money to spend is the only way.

Our main advantage at the moment is the tremendous talent coming out of our youth system which took a massive hit when Roy Keane basically destroyed it.

If your man does go then I think we would be almost ideal for him, most Championship clubs are either owned by megalomaniacs or just hit the reset button too soon.

Just now, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

I don't think Pardew is on the hit list!

It seemed at first everything was concentrating on Mowbray but that now looks remote, partly because he looks like he is staying put and partly (I believe) because we have had more interest than we imagined and probably a higher calibre than we imagined. Gerrard was apparently interested as is Lampard and I think these sort of names attract our owner but whatever happens I think Evans is going to go with a young man and just work on a gradual build. I don't think the Prem is the be all and end all but it would be nice to go up and stay there. The problem with The Prem is that it is often a suicide mission, Norwich have absolutely no money and came down with a very large wage bill. Our owner is worth close to £800m, Delia Smith is worth £23m, it has got to the stage where an owner with wealth of £23m is red alert time.

I really think all us lot want is attractive football and progress of sorts. Alex Neil was sacked in a state of panic, he seems to be doing well at Preston. Maybe I'm a bit old and in fairy land but I don't accept that big money to spend is the only way.

Our main advantage at the moment is the tremendous talent coming out of our youth system which took a massive hit when Roy Keane basically destroyed it.

If your man does go then I think we would be almost ideal for him, most Championship clubs are either owned by megalomaniacs or just hit the reset button too soon.

Do you believe that with the income that you currently have that you can gain promotion when up against Clubs with far more money?

Jack wants to win things. He has already stated that we are not going up to tread water in the Premiership that he is looking for a top six spot. Considering our fan base and income that means us winning a mini league of 7 teams all of a similar size. We cannot compete financially with Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts never mind the OF so top 6 would be the best league position we could aim for. And I believe it is realistic considering how good a manager he is and how he develops players. So can you take an interim manager for a year and give Jack a shout next year?

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Do you believe that with the income that you currently have that you can gain promotion when up against Clubs with far more money?

Jack wants to win things. He has already stated that we are not going up to tread water in the Premiership that he is looking for a top six spot. Considering our fan base and income that means us winning a mini league of 7 teams all of a similar size. We cannot compete financially with Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts never mind the OF so top 6 would be the best league position we could aim for. And I believe it is realistic considering how good a manager he is and how he develops players. So can you take an interim manager for a year and give Jack a shout next year?

In all fairness, Huddersfield done it last season, and Millwall, Brentford and Preston have all had decent seasons on modest budgets this time around. 

2 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Looking at the betting list for Ipswich, is there anyone on there that we might look at in the (fingers crossed) highly unlikely eventuality that Jack goes to Ipswich.

Well the Bookies has Jack evens to get job

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Yes I do, most certainly.

I'm not daft enough to think that money doesn't help but football is littered with success and failures that go against this. When Roy Keane was here we were splashing the cash about and nearly went down.

Marcus Evans is an ambitious fellow and not your typical owner. He tends to divide opinion because some of (shall I say possibly younger) fans want the moon on a stick.

If Ross has confidence in his own ability then he will get all the support he needs from top to bottom.

After our messy divorce from McCarthy we are looking for love!

Just now, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Yes I do, most certainly.

I'm not daft enough to think that money doesn't help but football is littered with success and failures that go against this. When Roy Keane was here we were splashing the cash about and nearly went down.

Marcus Evans is an ambitious fellow and not your typical owner. He tends to divide opinion because some of (shall I say possibly younger) fans want the moon on a stick.

If Ross has confidence in his own ability then he will get all the support he needs from top to bottom.

After our messy divorce from McCarthy we are looking for love!

No money isn't everything. We had about the 4th best income in the Championship but went on to win the league comfortably. It just seems that some teams in your Championship appear to have buckets more cash than Ipswich. Certainly his style of football will gets fans back through the gates and Jack courts the fans. He and the team come right across the park home and away to applaud the fans whatever the result. Jack and the players chipped in to help our singing section purchase materials for banners. He starts sing songs in the pub when we win! He is a great lad as well as a great manager - gets everyone on board.

13 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

He tends to divide opinion because some of (shall I say possibly younger) fans want the moon on a stick.

It's not only younger fans who are financially illiterate and believe ME is using the Club as a method of tax-evasion. Swear we have to explain this point every week or so. Losing £6m+ a year is saving money... er, OK!

As I've said before on this thread, the main goals for a new man are to keep that togetherness and make a few shrewd acquisitions, no big time Charlies, who want to prove themselves at Portman Road. That alone gives us a fighting chance of the play-offs.

We're a bit of an odd bunch, I think, who are very down to earth with our expectations. Just try to play some football on the deck and bring through the youngsters... and don't swear at the fans!

45 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

As much as it pains me to say it I think this is one option which Jack will/should take.

His stock as a manager is as high as it's going to get at the moment. Just won the championship and manager of the year.

To keep it at that level he'd need to win a cup next year or at least get us into the top 6 which is unlikely if we are being honest.

If we were to finish 8th it would be a really good season for us but I cant see championship clubs queuing up for a manager who finished 8th in the Scottish premiership.

Ipswich arent a basket case of a club which alot of other English championship clubs are. Got good British owners who give the manager time and a solid fan base They've been in thay division for a long time and it's not unreasonable for him to be looking at winning the title with them next season.

Agree with this.

I also think there aren't many clubs better than Ipswich who would come in for JR right now. EPL sides aren't going to touch him right now, while those like Stoke, WBA and (probably) Swansea will have bigger targets in mind should they part ways with their current crew. The three clubs who won't go up in the playoffs won't be interested. That only leaves around 5 clubs who finished above Ipswich last season who could potentially show interest. Barring some incredible results from us (Top 6 finish, Cup win) the clubs a step above Ipswich will never gain interest while he's in Paisley. If he fails in England he can still get a decent gig back in Scotland like McInnes. If he fails with us next season it could be a killer, Danny Lennon had some excellent achievements with us yet he's now managing Clyde. If Jack wants to have a chance of making it in England this could be his calling.

Of course like many others I hope there are better candidates available and he'll still be here for next season, but if he wants to try making it as an EPL manager this is an excellent opening.

Cooper - Burley, Osman, Butcher, Mills - Wark, Thijssen, Muhren, Gates - Brazil, Mariner

What a team! UEFA Cup winners and league runners up in 1981

7 of them "academy" players.

3 Scots in the side, John Wark scoring 36 goals from midfield, and none of them could get a regular game for Scotland!  

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Its turgid stuff. Hoof ball tactics with 8 players defending at all times.

This gives you an idea of how boring we are. Stay well clear.

( In the team that just scooshed the League we fielded usually 4 or 5  players 21 or under and 3 who were Academy players. 3 other Academy players were sold last season).

Well the first sentence of that is exactly what we've endured for the past 6 years with Mick McCarthy! Haha

Obviously you romped the league for a reason. I was just wondering what kind of manager he is.

Does he play good passing football or tough tackling / hard working safety first (as McCarthy did).  Have you played several formations this season or has he mainly stuck to one?

Just interested in him as I don't know much about him. From all of your comments he sounds exactly the type we're crying out for.

At times JR seems to be all out attack if they can score  we will score 3 football which has worked in the main with very few hiccups. teams that are big and strong have fared better when they try and spoil expansive football like ours and JR has seemed reluctant to switch style during games although I believe a large part of that is due to not having the players to compete physical to physical.

With a larger budget and a championship team most of JR's football would still be barcelonaesque  attacking but you would probably have the money to have an option B although I did think Sutton could have allowed us to at least attempt plan B perhaps mixing it with A to keep the other team spinning.

All in all a great manager to have, entertaining football and committed passionate players spurred on by him helping the fans be the same.

SS

Just now, ITFC306 said:

Well the first sentence of that is exactly what we've endured for the past 6 years with Mick McCarthy! Haha

Obviously you romped the league for a reason. I was just wondering what kind of manager he is.

Does he play good passing football or tough tackling / hard working safety first (as McCarthy did).  Have you played several formations this season or has he mainly stuck to one?

Just interested in him as I don't know much about him. From all of your comments he sounds exactly the type we're crying out for.

We have a team of light weight midgets who have tons of energy. We close down the opposition and attack in numbers with free-flowing, passing football. Usually play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. We do not always pass  from the back but rely on winning the second ball when the ball is punted (and we have no big strikers anyway). Sideways passing is a thing of the past - forward passing is what we do and we have forwards that take defenders on. Shoot on sight is allowed though we sometimes try and walk it in when we could shoot. Goals are spread throughout the team (every player bar the goalie scored this season). The best attacking football I have watched in years. No tough tackling and no safety first. Attack, attack, attack.

10 minutes ago, zico said:

Cooper - Burley, Osman, Butcher, Mills - Wark, Thijssen, Muhren, Gates - Brazil, Mariner

What a team! UEFA Cup winners and league runners up in 1981

7 of them "academy" players.

3 Scots in the side, John Wark scoring 36 goals from midfield, and none of them could get a regular game for Scotland!  

Yeah it was a great side and I was lucky to have been around.

Unfortunately we really underachieved on the trophy front. I think we had the best team in Europe that year but the squad players just weren't up to the job, we had a lot of injuries as I think we played 66 games that season. We beat Villa three times but they won the league, we knocked them out of the FA Cup in the third round and they weren't in Europe so they got away with only using 14 players the whole season. We should have won the treble. We were runners up again the following season. Liverpool really had it in for us the late 70's and early 80's.

Unfortunately we took it for granted at the time, we were in Europe 9 seasons out of 10 and to this day we remain the only team that would have won the league under a three rather than two points per win system - that was in 1974/75

Oh well, that's me all depressed again.

1 minute ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Unfortunately we really underachieved on the trophy front. I think we had the best team in Europe that year but the squad players just weren't up to the job, we had a lot of injuries as I think we played 66 games that season. We beat Villa three times but they won the league, we knocked them out of the FA Cup in the third round and they weren't in Europe so they got away with only using 14 players the whole season. We should have won the treble. We were runners up again the following season. Liverpool really had it in for us the late 70's and early 80's.

Unfortunately we took it for granted at the time, we were in Europe 9 seasons out of 10 and to this day we remain the only team that would have won the league under a three rather than two points per win system - that was in 1974/75

I always looked on that Ipswich side as England's Aberdeen or Dundee United!

8 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Mate this is a St Mirren Fans Forum - we invented the word depression !!!