Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

17 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

While we freely admit to being mid-Championship status these days, we are still a big draw for many, hence the 100+ applications received so far

You've answered your own question though there really as you go on to talk about JR's relative lack of experience. So why would he be deserving of a bigger club? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a very good prospect, more that I think we have more value than you perhaps suspect.

Leeds may have more money than us but they're a complete basket-case club. He'd be handed a two-year contract there and depart within six months. Now that's how you'd ruin this guy's career. We've only had 15 managers in 80 something years; you'll always get the chance to prove yourself at Portman Road, for better or for worse sometimes!

Same applies to Sunderland. They are in League One, need a huge clear out and their performances/morale could not be lower. How you would find that a better fit than Ipswich honestly baffles me. 

Must be a diddy outfit - Morton got 182 applications!

If offered the Ipswich job and he’s happy to relocate then he’d be a complete basket case to turn it down. 

Solid club, finances are decent, huge fan base, underachieving and huge potential for improvement, owners with a track record of showing patience and a pretty nice corner of England to move to. 

Hang about here for a couple of season and he could be chasing jobs in the lower division like Lennon and MacPherson  

Guest TPAFKATS

Really hope he stays but I also can't be arsed with this all summer. If he goes, all the best but please do it soon and let us get on with planning and recruiting for the season ahead.

49 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

How do you know Jack is interested in EVERY job? There may have been other approaches for him that he rejected, we just didn't hear about them. "Crappy" Barnsley were in the Championship at the time and Jack said afterwards he didn't feel it was the right time to move. "Dundee FFS" were a League above us at that point and again Jack said he had unfinished business with us. Of course Jack's going to turn his head at offers in better leagues, who wouldn't? Fact is so far, every time he's stayed put where others may have opted to move at the chance. Ipswich is a massive opportunity for him should he be offered it.

"One season to finish the great job", or as others are saying give us one year of commitment, it could be a stunning year for him. It could also be the year that sees his stock go to shit if we end up in a relegation dogfight. As the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot. Jack owes us absolutely nothing, he saved us from visiting League One and gave us the best 18 months we've had in a very long time (the only thing coming close in the last decade was the League Cup success).

Totally get your a Jack fan and a fan of freedom of movement etc and  you might have a point 're Barnsley but sorry Dundee are sh*te regardless of what league they are in.

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Jings Bud.  Shakespeare on the forum. 

Obviously, we don't know if ‘our Will’ liked to have had a kick around (and this one is stuffed with tights rather than a pig’s bladder), but the man with the finger on the pulse makes reference to the beautiful game in two of his plays. First in the The Comedy of Errors when the servant, Dromio of Ephesus complains of his treatment by his masters:

Am I so round with you as you with me,
That like a football you do spurn me thus?
You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither.
If I last in this service, you must case me in leather.
(Act 2, Scene 1)

The next reference appears in King Lear, when the character Kent taunts Goneril’s servant, Oswald, by calling him a ‘base football player’ (Act 1, Scene 4).

In Shakespeare’s day, football wasn’t so much the ‘beautiful’ but more the ‘deadly’ game. Research has shown that in the 16th century, more people died playing it than either sword fighting or wrestling, making football back then the second most lethal sport after archery.

Edited by Bud the Baker

34 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

How you would find that a better fit than Ipswich honestly baffles me. 

This single sentence nails it for me.

Ipswich Town seem to be a stable club with a superb geographical location.  i,e.  a Board of Directors with no record of knee-jerk panic sackings, a great local fanbase and no premiership neighbour to attract supporters away. Just a perfect opportunity for JR. Of course we don't want to lose our best manager in 40 years but it is obvious that bigger and better things are out there for him. I hope he is offered the post and accepts it. Leave Paisley with our best wishes Jack.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Obviously, we don't know if ‘our Will’ liked to have had a kick around with (and this one is stuffed with tights rather than a pig’s bladder), but the man with the finger on the pulse makes reference to the beautiful game in two of his plays. First in the The Comedy of Errors when the servant, Dromio of Ephesus complains of his treatment by his masters:

Am I so round with you as you with me,
That like a football you do spurn me thus?
You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither.
If I last in this service, you must case me in leather.
(Act 2, Scene 1)

The next reference appears in King Lear, when the character Kent taunts Goneril’s servant, Oswald, by calling him a ‘base football player’ (Act 1, Scene 4).

In Shakespeare’s day, football wasn’t so much the ‘beautiful’ but more the ‘deadly’ game. Research has shown that in the 16th century, more people died playing it than either sword fighting or wrestling, making football back then the second most lethal sport after archery.

I live and learn. 

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This single sentence nails it for me.

Ipswich Town seem to be a stable club with a superb geographical location.  i,e.  a Board of Directors with no record of knee-jerk panic sackings, a great local fanbase and no premiership neighbour to attract supporters away. Just a perfect opportunity for JR. Of course we don't want to lose our best manager in 40 years but it is obvious that bigger and better things are out there for him. I hope he is offered the post and accepts it. Leave Paisley with our best wishes Jack.

Agree with most of your analysis. 

Would prefer him to stay. 

But.... If he goes.. Then good luck to him

Jack Ross been on BT Sport and dodged the question (as expected) Usual platitudes about “out of respect for the job I’m in I’d rather not say too much” and when pushed by Sutton on if he would take it if offered “I’ll listen to what they say” and want to “manage at the highest level.” I’m slowly beginning to lose patience with this, and its only been a day, if he decides this third interested club (Dundee, Barnsley and now Ipswich) is not for him and stays....when will the next one occur. Not great for attracting getting new players to join and long term planning. Slowly losing a bit of creditability?

1 minute ago, Stegman said:

Jack Ross been on BT Sport and dodged the question (as expected) Usual platitudes about “out of respect for the job I’m in I’d rather not say too much” and when pushed by Sutton on if he would take it if offered “I’ll listen to what they say” and want to “manage at the highest level.” I’m slowly beginning to lose patience with this, and its only been a day, if he decides this third interested club (Dundee, Barnsley and now Ipswich) is not for him and stays....when will the next one occur. Not great for attracting getting new players to join and long term planning. Slowly losing a bit of creditability?

That's a real danger.

2 minutes ago, Stegman said:

Totally agree. 

What, exactly would you expect him to say? 

I would expect him to say as little as possible, which he did. That’s why I said in the brackets (as expected)....doesn’t make it any more palatable hearing it. Just frustrated that as soon as we get a bit of success and there’s a feel good factor around the place then it does t last. I’d love for him to commit to a season in the top flight to see if he can get us competing and not “just treading water”. Hey ho that’s football for you[emoji4]

Not sure why anyone thinks Jack is losing credibility for conducting himself in a thoroughly professional manner each time he’s been approached about a job in a better league with more money?

Seriously, what the f**k would you like him to do?

SUTTON "would you take it if offered?"
ROSS "Aye"
Just cut the crap.
He can't say if he would take it until he talks to them.

If you had pushed him on the Barnsley job (before speaking to them) he might have said "Aye", then went down & decided it's not for him.

Remember Jack is only one of the people being considered he will as we know come across brilliant in any interview/chat they have but it takes both parties to decide if they/he wants the job.

He can't say yes or no until he has been down there to see them.

We have to unfortunately be patient.