Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Said it before and I'll say it again. Football is all about opportunity. Today's flavour of the month can easily become yesterday's man with one bad run - look at Alan Archibald. Alan is a very good manager who had 3 excellent seasons at Partick Thistle and will now likely be out of a job in the summer (incidentally, I'd have him in a second).

Jack Ross is not losing credibility for listening to what suitors have to say. 3 clubs have courted him very openly in the last 12 months. 3 clubs that could offer a higher wage and budget than we could at the point when they made contact. Dundee, the club Jack supported as a lad came sniffing and he told them it wasn't for him, Barnsley were a complete omnishambles from the word go in their setup.  Ipswich on the other hand, offer a very real and very attractive prospect in terms of both the size and scope of job and potential to get a further step up from there. Jack has conducted himself with nothing but integrity and transparency since he came here. Ambition is not a bad thing, neither is confidence in your ability.

As an example, I have often said I'm happy in my job....very happy in fact. But if another company came calling for me to move south on a salary that is 3, 4, 5 times what I make just now, would I dismiss them off the bat? Don't be so silly. I love my job and I like the company I work for but why would I not at least hear what someone else has to say and offer that could improve my own career?

End of the day, Jack Ross will leave us a f**king damn sight better than where he found us. There's not many managers that we've had in the last few years who can say that.

My one and only concern is I don't want Ipswich dithering over the decision and waiting to see the outcome of Shrewsbury's season. Certainly not until early June. Do the honourable thing and make their intention clear from as early in the process as possible... either offer it to Jack or don't and let St. Mirren FC move on and rebuild for what is going to be a massive season.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Said it before and I'll say it again. Football is all about opportunity. Today's flavour of the month can easily become yesterday's man with one bad run - look at Alan Archibald. Alan is a very good manager who had 3 excellent seasons at Partick Thistle and will now likely be out of a job in the summer (incidentally, I'd have him in a second).

Jack Ross is not losing credibility for listening to what suitors have to say. 3 clubs have courted him very openly in the last 12 months. 3 clubs that could offer a higher wage and budget than we could at the point when they made contact. Dundee, the club Jack supported as a lad came sniffing and he told them it wasn't for him, Barnsley were a complete omnishambles from the word go in their setup.  Ipswich on the other hand, offer a very real and very attractive prospect in terms of both the size and scope of job and potential to get a further step up from there. Jack has conducted himself with nothing but integrity and transparency since he came here. Ambition is not a bad thing, neither is confidence in your ability.

As an example, I have often said I'm happy in my job....very happy in fact. But if another company came calling for me to move south on a salary that is 3, 4, 5 times what I make just now, would I dismiss them off the bat? Don't be so silly. I love my job and I like the company I work for but why would I not at least hear what someone else has to say and offer that could improve my own career?

End of the day, Jack Ross will leave us a f**king damn sight better than where he found us. There's not many managers that we've had in the last few years who can say that.

My one and only concern is I don't want Ipswich dithering over the decision and waiting to see the outcome of Shrewsbury's season. Certainly not until early June. Do the honourable thing and make their intention clear from as early in the process as possible... either offer it to Jack or don't and let St. Mirren FC move on and rebuild for what is going to be a massive season.

You make a great point on Alan Archibald. His reputation was sky high when he took Thistle to a top 6 finish. I would also take Alan Archibald in a second. As you say let's get this over and done with asap. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As a matter of interest how much to you think he's on financially? I'm not 100% certain but I think he would be on about £15k a week down here. 

Just now, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

As a matter of interest how much to you think he's on financially? I'm not 100% certain but I think he would be on about £15k a week down here. 

No idea but if I was guessing and that figure you're quoting is the case, I reckon he'd be multiplying his wages by about 8x.

How can anyone grudge him being interested in that? I'd wager he made only a fraction of that as a (very decent) journeyman player.

9 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

I very be surprised is he is on half of that a month, FFS!:lol:

Edited by Drew

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agree with most of what you said but I never agree with the comparison people make between football and "real/normal" jobs. If you moved company for whatever times your current salary your new company aren't likely to sack you by Halloween/Xmas. In football and especially the Championship thats a very viable situation. Plus may other things you just can't compare. 

I do think though that this is one he should take. They are a decent club and much more stable than most down there. He will have confidence in his own ability to get them promoted next season and I'm sure he'll jump at the chance of that. I'll be sad to seem him go though.

Edited by LargsBud

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No idea but if I was guessing and that figure you're quoting is the case, I reckon he'd be multiplying his wages by about 8x.

Yes, possibly as much as 10 times what he is currently earning.

Ambition + ££££s, only a madman wouldn't have to think twice.

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

Agree with most of what you said but I never agree with the comparison people make between football and "real/normal" jobs. If you moved company for whatever times your current salary your new company aren't likely to sack you by Halloween/Xmas. In football and especially the Championship thats a very viable situation. Plus may other things you just can't compare. 

I do think though that this is one he should take. They are a decent club and much more stable than most down there. He will have confidence in his own ability to get them promoted next season and I'm sure he'll jump at the chance of that. I'll be sad to seem him go though.

I agree that it's not comparable. Because generally in football, it's even better. Even if you do a shite job in management, you're getting the rest of your contract paid up to get shot of you. 

Let's use Shefki's estimate of £15k a week. Ipswich would offer him nothing less than 3 years either. 

That's a guaranteed payout of £1.6m before tax whether he is a success or a failure. For 3 years work. This is a guy who probably never saw north of about £1500 per week as a player or manager. 

Of course we can't begrudge him being interested in that (£15K a week - I would guess he's not even on that bi-monthly). However, is anyone starting to think like me that this episode is affecting our recruitment for players next season?  Who is going to commit themselves to playing for this club and a manager who might be off by the time you next set foot in the 2021 Stadium/new St.Mirren park at the start of next season?   The club has been more than fair with Jack but after this episode (if Jack stays), I think we should say to future suitors "sorry, no permission is granted, our manager has to focus on his job now." 

2 minutes ago, Westmarcher said:

Of course we can't begrudge him being interested in that (£15K a week - I would guess he's not even on that bi-monthly). However, is anyone starting to think like me that this episode is affecting our recruitment for players next season?  Who is going to commit themselves to playing for this club and a manager who might be off by the time you next set foot in the 2021 Stadium/new St.Mirren park at the start of next season?   The club has been more than fair with Jack but after this episode (if Jack stays), I think we should say to future suitors "sorry, no permission is granted, our manager has to focus on his job now." 

Maybe it was part of the contract that Jack would be given permission to speak to whoever as long as the compensation was met , and then again do we really know that there is a compensation clause?

2 minutes ago, Westmarcher said:

Exactly. This is the only bit that doesn't sit well with me. Jack has already said they are well down the line in terms of new faces and I think we should be trying to press forward to a conclusion one way or another to let us push on for the squad being rebuilt. 

Also, like Alex Neil did with Tony Andreu, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle Magennis and Cammy Smith being looked at to follow Jack if he did go. 

Well it’s getting somewhat newsworthy if not to say interesting in my gaff.
Wife face casually says oh, that guy Jack Ross, seemingly I hear he might be moving on ??? Oh that would be a shame after St mirren doing so well so far ?!?!

We’ll shine a light, I looked at wife face with bewilderment , no little disbelief and then cried and died a bit inside. When the St mirren managerial whataboutery reaches this level I think wtf.

Well at least that’s my guilt free excuse for a significant season end alcoholic intake tonight now complete.

When the the St mirren management speculation and interest reaches that level of footballing ignorance, well, I do feel the fear [emoji22]

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I agree that it's not comparable. Because generally in football, it's even better. Even if you do a shite job in management, you're getting the rest of your contract paid up to get shot of you. 

Let's use Shefki's estimate of £15k a week. Ipswich would offer him nothing less than 3 years either. 

That's a guaranteed payout of £1.6m before tax whether he is a success or a failure. For 3 years work. This is a guy who probably never saw north of about £1500 per week as a player or manager. 

I'm just guessing at that figure but I think McCarthy was on about £20k and our highest player on about £18k  so I just assumed the figure.

I think a young manager would be given a two year contract - which would be worth £1.5m

One has to look after oneself and and ones family. From what I have read over the past couple of days it seems that your man will go at some point, I would like it to be us as he sounds a good guy and he will get every chance with us. If he went to Derby, Leeds etc he could be undermined and face with the sack at any time.

10 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

I'm just guessing at that figure but I think McCarthy was on about £20k and our highest player on about £18k  so I just assumed the figure.

I think a young manager would be given a two year contract - which would be worth £1.5m

One has to look after oneself and and ones family. From what I have read over the past couple of days it seems that your man will go at some point, I would like it to be us as he sounds a good guy and he will get every chance with us. If he went to Derby, Leeds etc he could be undermined and face with the sack at any time.

Yes, agreed about Mick's figures but he's a very big name and his £1m contract was about right for his stature. Given the step up, I'd imagine a significant decrease in JR's potential salary (we love having options with contracts these days, don't we?!), so reckon two years, plus one year option and half of what MM was on. 

Half a mil a year could add significantly to a few wage bills/transfers too. Could even manage to get the North Stand roof cleaned...  

6 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

Yes, agreed about Mick's figures but he's a very big name and his £1m contract was about right for his stature. Given the step up, I'd imagine a significant decrease in JR's potential salary (we love having options with contracts these days, don't we?!), so reckon two years, plus one year option and half of what MM was on. 

Half a mil a year could add significantly to a few wage bills/transfers too. Could even manage to get the North Stand roof cleaned...  

Maybe but I can't see why if Mick was on £20k  we wouldn't pay our new target £15k. It would undermine the manager if a chunk of the first team were getting more than the manager. Mick just picked up what seems to be our going rate, the £1m thing that was floating about was I believe a separate bonus for keeping us up. 

Anyway, as I say, it was just a guess. Either way it seems that it is a life changing thing as he would be on a minimum of £10k - £12k

4 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Maybe but I can't see why if Mick was on £20k  we wouldn't pay our new target £15k. It would undermine the manager if a chunk of the first team were getting more than the manager. Mick just picked up what seems to be our going rate, the £1m thing that was floating about was I believe a separate bonus for keeping us up. 

Anyway, as I say, it was just a guess. Either way it seems that it is a life changing thing as he would be on a minimum of £10k - £12k

:lol:

Hey, what's £2K a week here or there?

Christ, fitba dahn saaf really is a different world.

Cheers for everything Jack, all the best in your new job:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Absolutely agree we should pay whoever handsomely regardless, but as you say, even half of MM's salary would be very good for him.  I've said back on TWTD that I believe paying a good manager more to make a silk purse out of the proverbial is the best approach. 

But here's a question: If you were in JR's position would you take the extra £500k per season to improve your squad and chances of success, if it meant taking a pay cut? 

Just now, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

100% correct and to be honest I still don't think he is top of the list - regrettably,  as I have developed a bit of a man crush.

Might not be now but his time will come. 

Show progress in our Premiership.  Bring in bigger crowds. 

Then he will be a very hot prospect - possibly English Premiership. 

Time to get his head down and get on with things here. 

Of course.... I might be wrong.