Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

There was nothing racist about it. Offensive, possibly, but not racist. But, I'm not getting into this argument again, so I'll leave it at that.
Not overtly, I'll grant that, but imo it was both racist and offensive. I'll leave it at that, too, Slarti.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Could be a number of second interviews though? 

I’m staying positive (just) for now. 

Maybe.

It isn't helpful from our perspective, though. That said, I have no issue with Jack pursuing this - it's his right and prerogative.

If Jack doesn't get this job he'll no doubt be linked with a number of other jobs that will come up over the summer causing 

more uncertainty when we should be building a squad for the new season, he's ambitious and wants to get to the top so like 

it or not it's going to happen sooner rather than later, although I would hate to see Jack go he ain't  gonna commit to being the St 

Mirren boss when teams as big as Ipswich are banging on his door, so IMO it's probably best if he gets the job so we can move on and 

appoint new man to get us ready for the Premier league.

Jack Ross and his team have given us all league memories that only Sir Alex and Tom Hendrie have equalled or surpassed in relation to attacking, attractive football and for that there should only be thanks. 

Jack has refused or not been offered two significantly higher paid posts in England and stayed or had no option but to stay but in either case, he has delivered with aplomb a league win by 12 points despite winning very few of our last 5 games . In other words, we totally romped it. We have returned to the top division quicker than we ever have done despite almost dropping out the second tier no less than 1 year ago. We have signed up our league winning captain for two years and I have no doubt that when Jack leaves he will do so whilst advising the young squad members to remain at a club for a period that develops their careers and if successful, they will get a move.

Anyone who believes in their ability and could at a minimum quadruple their salary and most probably have a lottery win equivalent bonus to get to the Promised Land would have their sanity and ambition questioned if they repeatedly turn down theoretical offers. In addition, how do you explain to your partner that you are very ambitious but don’t want to take a position with such rewards if offered.

It may be Ipswich or it may not be but Jack will be moving as he is hot property in a market that churns at least 30% of managers per annum. I believe and hope it is Ipswich for the reasons many have stated, I wish him well and thank him for the strength and belief shown from a very rocky start. In the potentially very short career that football management can be, Jack has earned his shot at glory and I hope it works out for him and his family.

We are best to plan to move on and find a new manager as early as possible rather than bury our heads in the sand and be scrambling about in August when the inevitable happens. Its Jacks decision if offered a post but we are at three and counting now on potential offers so it’s only a matter of time.

Good luck and thanks to Jack and his team. Whatever happens next season we will all remember this one for generations                                                                                                                                                                

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Out of interest, does anyone have a rough idea of the amount of compensation we'll be due? (If he leaves  obviously)

Can't remember who it was, but there was someone posting during the week who seemed to have "expert" knowledge of the club's finances , when it came to costing the money relating to bigot brother's visits.

They'll probably know.

Frankie Boyle isn't a racist, though. 
You don't get to blame this one on him. It was a really poor comment. 

I’m not a racist mate .!!!! Ok! Ffs it was a joke. I don’t blame feck all on him. Lighten up. I made a constructive post and it gets slagged to f**k and I get called a weirdo! Guy then slags me more and indeed anyone else that posts. I do not appreciate making a comment that To me is important and constructive and some troll belittles me. I can take a joke but this wasn’t funny. He belittles every post any member makes. I’m sure he’s laughing and couldn’t care less about my comment. For your bloody information I’ve lived in South Africa and had many black friends. At uni many years ago I dated an Asian girl and after that a black girl years later. hope I’m not racist calling her black! Lighten up . I’ve heard racist shouting in the Family stand and elsewhere in the ground and complained about it. I’ve even emailed the liaison officer about the languages in the family stand as it got that bad week after week last season.I apologise for offending you all. Maybe I won’t bother posting at all.
It’s ok for certain individuals including the one who belittled me to argue that there shouldn’t be any sin bin or rules on the forum and say what we like. It’s ok to dish out slagging and make a fool of someone as long as it’s not racist / prejudiced. I along with others stated we do need rules. Maybe I wouldn’t have said my comment if I wasn’t insulted.Perhaps if you read my posts you’ll see my view and perhaps support members who try post something well meaning . I don’t think it’s nice to get belittled and slagged for saying I will be saddened and upset when Jack Ross leaves. It was a constructive post.
No doubt you’ll tear this post to shreds. Go on why not, I’m not with the in crowd. And believe me I’ve read other comments on this forum that are veiled homophobic and I thought were bad but no condemnation. Apologies again.

It's far from ideal having your manager on live TV joking about moving to other clubs.

This needs to end one way or another soon so we can start getting a squad together for next season.  We have already lost two of our best players in Morgan and Davis, we really need to bring in about 10 new faces now to compete next season.  That isn't going to happen with a manger with one foot out the door.

If you're going Jack, go.  If you're staying, then make the commitment to next season.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Word is Jack has been invited back for a second interview next week so he is definitely high up the list of candidates. 

This was from someone I do business with in the Ipswich area who’s a huge Ipswich fan. 

Edit- didn’t read before I posted. I see Drew has also posted this so must be a bit of truth in it. 

Thought the interview was taking place next week? He hasn't spoken to them yet. So that would be the first interview.

According to what I've read anyway.

2 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

I would suggest it's not in his hands at this stage?

These things take time.

Waiting another few days won't do any damage. 

It's in his hands to commit to staying at St Mirren.

If he doesn't get the Ipswich gig are we just to sit about and wait until the next English club come along in a couple of weeks?

We had the Barnsley carry on and got thumped 4-1 off Livingston the next game.  This type of thing constantly happening will obviously effect the squad.

Just now, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

So, we don't REALLY know if he's had a meeting with Ipswich at this stage?

He was down in London during the week for an interview and has been asked to go for another next week. 

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Surely you wouldn't begrudge him meeting and listening to what Ipswich have to offer?

The majority agree they would be a decent "fit" for him.

Oh, we don't have more games to play, last sentence isn't a point at all really. 

You aren't the brightest, are you?

Looks Like another job offer may be in Jack's inbox. After hearing of the miracle of turning water into wine and feeding the five thousand. Those in need of a another miracle are on the search.

JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Your chance to work for Dundee United ...

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk › Life › Job opportunities
19 Apr 2018 - JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Your chance to work for Dundee United! ... The suitable candidate will possess a relevant accountancy qualification ...

Looking at the Ipswich fans forum it seem the Jack ticks all the boxes in terms of what they are looking for. Inexperience at that level only drawback but willing to take that gamble. Reckon he will be away if offered it next week which is looking likely.

51 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

If Jack doesn't get this job he'll no doubt be linked with a number of other jobs that will come up over the summer causing 

more uncertainty when we should be building a squad for the new season, he's ambitious and wants to get to the top so like 

it or not it's going to happen sooner rather than later, although I would hate to see Jack go he ain't  gonna commit to being the St 

Mirren boss when teams as big as Ipswich are banging on his door, so IMO it's probably best if he gets the job so we can move on and 

appoint new man to get us ready for the Premier league.

I hope he gets the job uncertainty is the last thing we need . 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:
12 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:
Bang on, you're not being PC. To be clear, you're being racist.

There was nothing racist about it. Offensive, possibly, but not racist. But, I'm not getting into this argument again, so I'll leave it at that.

Agreed. It is obviously not racist. It was equally clearly an attempt at humour.

Mind you it wasnt funny either.

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:
2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Not overtly, I'll grant that, but imo it was both racist and offensive. I'll leave it at that, too, Slarti.

Don't be ridiculous.

1 hour ago, ironsaints87 said:

I’m not a racist mate .!!!! Ok! Ffs it was a joke. I don’t blame feck all on him. Lighten up. I made a constructive post and it gets slagged to f**k and I get called a weirdo! Guy then slags me more and indeed anyone else that posts. I do not appreciate making a comment that To me is important and constructive and some troll belittles me. I can take a joke but this wasn’t funny. He belittles every post any member makes. I’m sure he’s laughing and couldn’t care less about my comment. For your bloody information I’ve lived in South Africa and had many black friends. At uni many years ago I dated an Asian girl and after that a black girl years later. hope I’m not racist calling her black! Lighten up . I’ve heard racist shouting in the Family stand and elsewhere in the ground and complained about it. I’ve even emailed the liaison officer about the languages in the family stand as it got that bad week after week last season.I apologise for offending you all. Maybe I won’t bother posting at all.
It’s ok for certain individuals including the one who belittled me to argue that there shouldn’t be any sin bin or rules on the forum and say what we like. It’s ok to dish out slagging and make a fool of someone as long as it’s not racist / prejudiced. I along with others stated we do need rules. Maybe I wouldn’t have said my comment if I wasn’t insulted.Perhaps if you read my posts you’ll see my view and perhaps support members who try post something well meaning . I don’t think it’s nice to get belittled and slagged for saying I will be saddened and upset when Jack Ross leaves. It was a constructive post.
No doubt you’ll tear this post to shreds. Go on why not, I’m not with the in crowd. And believe me I’ve read other comments on this forum that are veiled homophobic and I thought were bad but no condemnation. Apologies again.

Relax. Nobody with a modicum of intelligence thought your comment was racist.

It wasnt funny but it wasnt racist.

You should challenge the PC brigade strongly every time they play the racism card because what they are trying to do is control people.

Thought Police would be a better name for them. Either way, they are an absolute f**king scourge of modern day society.

JR has certainly not let St Mirren down since his arrival in Paisley.

However, having watched last night's play-off decider between the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the Championship, it is a reminder that whilst it has been a tightly contested league between teams of a similar ability (apart from Brechin), the overall quality has been poor and although we won the Championship by the proverbial mile, there were not many games which we won comfortably and a few where we lost quite heavily.

The most successful manager in the history of world football managed to stick us out for nearly 4 years, whilst Jack has nibbled the bate for 3 jobs elsewhere in his short stint as manager of St Mirren in less than two and a half years. If the Ipswich job does not materialise for him it is only a matter of time before the next job offer comes along. 

Players on the other hand are normally tied to their contracts which offer the clubs some stability as well as the ability to plan forward.

What we have witnessed over the past year or so has been de-stabilising despite the success on the park and whilst I appreciate that I represent a minority view on here, the vast majority seem to take the view - "take the money and run Jack".

But where does that leave St Mirren other than the obvious retort - the SPL?

We are currently in the process of persuading players to come to/stay at St Mirren, but with such uncertainty over the manager's position on an ongoing basis, this is being jeopardised at a crucial period of the year when we are building for next season.

Whilst I appreciate as much as anyone the new hope which Jack has brought to St Mirren, this is a job half completed and the big challenge for Jack would be to demonstrate his ability in a league (ie. SPL) where the quality is one step up from what we have witnessed this season in the Championship.

If Jack were to succeed at that level for say 2 years, it would be English Premiership clubs who would be chasing after him and after 4+ years at St Mirren, even I would not begrudge hime a move at that stage.