Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

I’m not a racist mate .!!!! Ok! Ffs it was a joke. I don’t blame feck all on him. Lighten up. I made a constructive post and it gets slagged to f**k and I get called a weirdo! Guy then slags me more and indeed anyone else that posts. I do not appreciate making a comment that To me is important and constructive and some troll belittles me. I can take a joke but this wasn’t funny. He belittles every post any member makes. I’m sure he’s laughing and couldn’t care less about my comment. For your bloody information I’ve lived in South Africa and had many black friends. At uni many years ago I dated an Asian girl and after that a black girl years later. hope I’m not racist calling her black! Lighten up . I’ve heard racist shouting in the Family stand and elsewhere in the ground and complained about it. I’ve even emailed the liaison officer about the languages in the family stand as it got that bad week after week last season.I apologise for offending you all. Maybe I won’t bother posting at all.

It’s ok for certain individuals including the one who belittled me to argue that there shouldn’t be any sin bin or rules on the forum and say what we like. It’s ok to dish out slagging and make a fool of someone as long as it’s not racist / prejudiced. I along with others stated we do need rules. Maybe I wouldn’t have said my comment if I wasn’t insulted.Perhaps if you read my posts you’ll see my view and perhaps support members who try post something well meaning . I don’t think it’s nice to get belittled and slagged for saying I will be saddened and upset when Jack Ross leaves. It was a constructive post.

No doubt you’ll tear this post to shreds. Go on why not, I’m not with the in crowd. And believe me I’ve read other comments on this forum that are veiled homophobic and I thought were bad but no condemnation. Apologies again.

I didn't say you were racist, ironsaints87, I said the post was, there's a difference, and I stand by that. Don't care whether or not others agree or think I'm being "ridiculous," the 1970s are behind us now. Except for the part about us having an exciting young manager with a great future ahead of him that others are trying to poach.

[emoji4]

ETA

I'd have posted this sooner but didn't see yours until a few minutes ago.

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Thought the interview was taking place next week? He hasn't spoken to them yet. So that would be the first interview.

According to what I've read anyway.

I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t yet met with them but my friend in Ipswich is pretty positive he has been in direct contact, made a good impression and is being invited for a second interview. 

Remember, he doesn’t necessarily need to have been down south to have a first interview. This could easily have been done by Skype or similar. 

Like I said, I have no idea what’s happened so for or what is planned for next week and am only passing on information given to me from a friend in Ipswich who seems to have a bit of knowledge of the football club. 

Edited by davidg

11 minutes ago, davidg said:

I’ve no idea if he has or hasn’t yet met with them but my friend in Ipswich is pretty positive he has been in direct contact, made a good impression and is being invited for a second interview. 

Remember, he doesn’t necessarily need to have been down south to have a first interview. This could easily have been done by Skype or similar. 

Like I said, I have no idea what’s happened so for or what is planned for next week and am only passing on information given to me from a friend in Ipswich who seems to have a bit of knowledge of the football club. 

He was  interviewed in London on Thursday,  by all accounts he impressed and has been invited to Portman Rd for a second interview.

Obviously others may be in the frame - I'm not sure

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

As much as most of us think Jack Ross is something of the new Alex Ferguson a few words of warning.

Derek McInnes Best Manager in Scotland went to Bristol City result - They got relegated.

Craig Levein Best Manager in Scotland went to Leicester City result - The Caretaker Manager just saved them from relegation.

Robbie Nielson Best Manager in Scotland went to MK Dons result - They got relegated.

Bet most of the fans of the teams they managed in Scotland before going to England thought they were some sort of managerial messiah (like we do with Jack Ross) only it didn't work out very well for them.

Well said Ronnie a bit of reality,

There`s no doubt Jack and his staff has done a fantastic job for us this past 18 month, but he was also he was given the tools to do the job, by the new board, and us who stayed with the team when all seemed lost, in a league where we should always be competing at the top end of the table,

And I am 100% certain if our old board had still been there and Jack was our manager we would have been relegated. would our old board have sanctioned bringing in 9 or 10 players in the January window, ABSOLUTELY no chance,

So these last 18mth have been a team effort, and the big test for Jack comes next season, can he do the business at the next level, with us in Premiership or with Ipswich in the Championship, if he can then maybe he really is the next Messiah.

But in all honesty like a few posters on here, am getting a bit fed up with all this  WILL HE WON`T HE  Managerial merry go round every couple of months, this has got to be the last one, we as a club have a big season ahead too,  we need stability and everything in place now to plan for next year , so its time to make your mind up Jack ?  take the job if its offered,  or commit to us for the Premiership next year, what`s it to be. 

40 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The most successful manager in the history of world football managed to stick us out for nearly 4 years, whilst Jack has nibbled the bate for 3 jobs elsewhere in his short stint as manager of St Mirren in less than two and a half years. If the Ipswich job does not materialise for him it is only a matter of time before the next job offer comes along. 

Whilst I appreciate as much as anyone the new hope which Jack has brought to St Mirren, this is a job half completed and the big challenge for Jack would be to demonstrate his ability in a league (ie. SPL) where the quality is one step up from what we have witnessed this season in the Championship.

If Jack were to succeed at that level for say 2 years, it would be English Premiership clubs who would be chasing after him and after 4+ years at St Mirren, even I would not begrudge hime a move at that stage.

Ferguson and Ross are two competely different eras, you can't compare them. Fergie was here at a time there was more loyalty from players, less transfers and less money. Jack knows we can't hold onto players like Mallan and Morgan, but in Fergie's time there was a better chance of keeping the better players. Making this comparison is pointless.

What exactly would you consider as "success" if Jack stayed? What would EPL sides consider "success" from Jack? Derek McInnes had turned Aberdeen into a consistent fighter for 2nd place, yet the closest thing he's had to an EPL link was a relegation threatened WBA. EPL sides will look at La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eng Championship before they look at the SPL. Jack would have to achieve a Leicester to be noticed. Barring a surprise title fight they won't give Jack a second look. When you take Championship sides like Stoke, WBA and probably Swansea, they won't go for him right now. Can't see the three who will be defeated in the playoffs going for him. So as it happens, Ipswich is one of the best possible offers Jack will get.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

It's in his hands to commit to staying at St Mirren.

If he doesn't get the Ipswich gig are we just to sit about and wait until the next English club come along in a couple of weeks?

We had the Barnsley carry on and got thumped 4-1 off Livingston the next game.  This type of thing constantly happening will obviously effect the squad.

When you are getting offers from English Championship sides, why would you commit to another year at Saints? That year could destroy his reputation and kill off any possible big money move. Alternatively if could do more for his rep, but as the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot. Why risk a possible huge opportunity? If he made commitments like that we wouldn't have got him for Alloa Athletic in the first place. No one barring a Saints fan or someone who doesn't want to leave Paisley (which would be odd in itself) would make such a strong commitment. What we do know is Jack will keep on working hard for us until he signs elsewhere.

To your second point - that's just football. We spent whole summers wondering if the likes of Mallan, Morgan, McLean etc would be our player come the deadline. We lost McLean on deadline day IIRC, was he supposed to say at the start of Jan he would commit until the summer? I do understand the difference of a player and manager in this season but players can be unsettled and questioned over moves at any time. The managerial period will be testing during May and June but by then clubs should have someone in place and if Jack is still here at the end of June, chances are we will have him to do the summer rebuild.

That thumping wasn't a unique situation to us. On 5 occasions last season we lost by 3+ goals. As usual we reacted well to the defeat and won our next four games.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

It's far from ideal having your manager on live TV joking about moving to other clubs.

This needs to end one way or another soon so we can start getting a squad together for next season.  We have already lost two of our best players in Morgan and Davis, we really need to bring in about 10 new faces now to compete next season.  That isn't going to happen with a manger with one foot out the door.

If you're going Jack, go.  If you're staying, then make the commitment to next season.

He can hardly "go", unless he's offered the job.

It's not really in his hands to expedite matters, unless he's going to withdraw from the recruitment process altogether.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

As much as most of us think Jack Ross is something of the new Alex Ferguson a few words of warning.

Derek McInnes Best Manager in Scotland went to Bristol City result - They got relegated.

Craig Levein Best Manager in Scotland went to Leicester City result - The Caretaker Manager just saved them from relegation.

Robbie Nielson Best Manager in Scotland went to MK Dons result - They got relegated.

Bet most of the fans of the teams they managed in Scotland before going to England thought they were some sort of managerial messiah (like we do with Jack Ross) only it didn't work out very well for them.

I know I'm biased but I do think Jack is better than any of them and has done a greater job than any of the managers you mentioned had at the stage they went down. 

It's all about picking the right opportunity though. Thats a major factor in it. If Jack had taken that Barnsley job it's very likely they would still have been relegated and he would have been sacked by now. That wouldn't make him a bad manager or mean he done a bad job but he would already be looked at as a failure.

Same with Neil Lennon. I rate him very highly as a manager but he jumped at absolutely the wrong job with Bolton and now nobody will touch him down there.

2 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

I didn't say you were racist, ironsaints87, I said the post was, there's a difference, and I stand by that. Don't care whether or not others agree or think I'm being "ridiculous," the 1970s are behind us now. Except for the part about us having an exciting young manager with a great future ahead of him that others are trying to poach.

emoji4.png

ETA

This is my last post on the topic because I have no wish to derail the thread.

Iron's post was not filled with hatred of another race. There was no ill intent expressed, either explicitly or implicitly.

There was no discrimination, no call to arms. Nothing other than a crap joke.

On all sides this post of his fails the racism test. It is intellectually bankrupt to call his post racist.

Left wing hand politically correct hand wringers are an absolute scourge on society because it isolates and infuriates moderate people, wrongly labelling them bigots. That then risks turning those moderates to more extreme positions. It frankly beggars belief that this needs spelled out to a functioning adult.  

IMO any and all attempts to offend them on behalf of others through humour is to be encouraged in an effort to get them to stop enforcing their ridiculous self righteousness on others. You guys do almost as much harm to minority groups with your well meaning tripe than blatant discrimination does.

Here endeth the lesson in basic human psychology.

Edited by oaksoft

My friend said...
“Looks like your manager has a second interview this week at Ipswich. 
He's made a good impression on Marcus Evans by all accounts and has been told he will have a couple of mill to spend”
Sound reasonably promising for Jack, not so good for us. This is if there’s any truth in it. 

A couple of million to spend in the English Championship will get them absolutely nowhere.

Seems to me like Ipswich are looking for a man who can get a team punching above their weight without actually backing their manager with any decent finances, hence why the Shrewsbury manager also seems to be high up the pecking order. Without proper squad investment you’ll get exactly what you deserve down there. Mid table mediocrity. For that, I’m out.

On topic comments rarely move into personal abuse.  Most posters do that so most experience few problems.  Best not to be tempted by what might be old fashioned wind up merchants with who k ows what agenda.  So back on topic,  it looks like things will be clear within the next week.  Best outcome for me is still that Jack remains.. For now and shows what he can achieve in the Premiership.  Do well and the world is his oyster. 

3 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

A couple of million to spend in the English Championship will get them absolutely nowhere.

Seems to me like Ipswich are looking for a man who can get a team punching above their weight without actually backing their manager with any decent finances, hence why the Shrewsbury manager also seems to be high up the pecking order. Without proper squad investment you’ll get exactly what you deserve down there. Mid table mediocrity. For that, I’m out.

Correct 2 million in the English Championship is like £25,000 in the Scottish premiership it ain't going to buy a lot. 

17 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Nonsense. 

Out of the 4 teams in the promotion playoffs Fulham had the greatest net spend of £2.8m so you can be more than competitive in the Championship with a couple of million pound net spend. 

Derby County and Villa made a combined  profit of over £20m in the transfer market. 

Mid table mediocrity is Sheffield Wednesday with a poorly managed net spend of almost £14m. Birmingham stayed up on the last day with a net spend of over £11m. 

Success isn’t defined by net spend. 

Edited by davidg

Iron's post was not filled with hatred of another race. There was no ill intent expressed, either explicitly or implicitly.
On all sides this post of his fails the racism test. It is intellectually bankrupt to call his post racist.
Left wing hand politically correct hand wringers are an absolute scourge on society because it isolates and infuriates moderate people, wrongly labelling them bigots. That then risks turning those moderates to more extreme positions. It frankly beggars belief that this needs spelled out to a functioning adult.  
IMO any and all attempts to offend them on behalf of others through humour is to be encouraged in an effort to get them to stop enforcing their ridiculous self righteousness on others. You guys do almost as much harm to minority groups with your well meaning tripe than blatant discrimination does.

Doesn't change my view that it was 70s style casual racism. I've no wish to derail the thread either, that's why I (originally) ended my post by talking about our manager.

32 minutes ago, davidg said:

Nonsense. 

Out of the 4 teams in the promotion playoffs Fulham had the greatest net spend of £2.8m so you can be more than competitive in the Championship with a couple of million pound net spend. 

Derby County and Villa made a combined  profit of over £20m in the transfer market. 

Mid table mediocrity is Sheffield Wednesday with a poorly managed net spend of almost £14m. Birmingham stayed up on the last day with a net spend of over £11m. 

Success isn’t defined by net spend. 

And this is what we want to do and build through youth and pick up some bargains.

We bought Cresswell for not a lot and sold him for £4m, we bought Mings for £10k and sold him for £8m.

We got Garner and Waghorn from Rangers for a combined fee of about £500k and they have been fantastic, our GK is arguably the best in the league and cost peanuts from Notts County.

We really have some great young players coming through and whilst money helps we are the sort of club that likes to be self sufficient and it can work.

I might be an old fart but I believe a club can compete with good foundations and the right people.

Edit; And before Marcus tightened the purse strings we spent millions and millions on a pile of shite.

Edited by ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks

If I am right (sometimes am.. Admittedly not often)  Jack is second favourite with the bookies. 

Despite how well he has done up here I think he still has things to prove. 

Another year and success (top 6 and cup runs and he would be very hot property. 

4 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

And this is what we want to do and build through youth and pick up some bargains.

We bought Cresswell for not a lot and sold him for £4m, we bought Mings for £10k and sold him for £8m.

We got Garner and Waghorn from Rangers for a combined fee of about £500k and they have been fantastic, our GK is arguably the best in the league and cost peanuts from Notts County.

We really have some great young players coming through and whilst money helps we are the sort of club that likes to be self sufficient and it can work.

I might be an old fart but I believe a club can compete with good foundations and the right people.

Totally agree.

This is where being tight-fisted is actually a bit of a virtue in my opinion. Derby try to spend their way to promotion every season with zero payback thus far. Wolves are now in the pocket of Mendes. Look at Wednesday's strike force and their current league position.

We were promoted to the Prem as a close-knit squad with superb team spirit. We then learnt a painful lesson after reaching Europe again with signings like Sereni. Already had our fingers burnt like that to know better.

Pay a decent manager decent  money and make him selective in terms of recruitment.  Our youth team players are now the best we've had in years; we need someone who can inspire them, spur them on and find the experienced heads to guide them through a brutal league. 

Going to be a very interesting season whatever happens (for both our clubs!)- haven't felt this excited in years.

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

If I am right (sometimes am.. Admittedly not often)  Jack is second favourite with the bookies. 

Despite how well he has done up here I think he still has things to prove. 

Another year and success (top 6 and cup runs and he would be very hot property. 

This is the way I see it also Ricky , however I can also see it being a big negative if we have a bad season with no success and Jacks rep takes a knock.Still think that if offered it then Jack will accept it.

2 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

And a mediocre run would burst his bubble. He knows that only too well.

Who is the front runner for the job?

If he doesn't get the job he should lodge a complaint for racial discrimination against Scottish people.

Maybe nobody in England could understand his Scottish accent. He might need an interpreter.

You may well be right, but it's worth noting that during our worst recent spell under Paul Jewell, we didn't even sack him- he handed in his notice. Tough one though, isn't it, from JR's point of view. I'm a bit of a sentimental softy and would probably stay!

Paul Hurst is the front-runner. Shrewsbury are in the play-offs though so we have to wait on him.

And I reckon Town are the last club you could accuse of Scottish racism, mate! Haha.

5 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

If he doesn't get the job he should lodge a complaint for racial discrimination against Scottish people.

Maybe nobody in England could understand his Scottish accent. He might need an interpreter.

Lol. Don't get me wrong... If he is offered it at the kind of money being talked about then he would not be blamed by me for taking it. 

30 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Doesn't change my view that it was 70s style casual racism. I've no wish to derail the thread either, that's why I (originally) ended my post by talking about our manager.

Have not read what was written but have heard the sound bite 70s style racism form TV, to radio and football forums. It seems to be the fashion sound bite of the moment the 50"s and 60's were a lot worse. A slip of the tongue can get you in a whole lot of trouble like me calling someone coloured instead of black. It's got to the stage where you are walking on  egg shell's.  Rather than pointing the finger and shouting racist when it's a slip up I would say it's better to educate by pointing the fault out. Being deliberately offensive is when the finger should be pointed. 

5 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Paul Hurst was the perceived favourite but I don't think we have even been spoken to because of Shrewburys play off situation.

If Ross has impressed as it seems he has it might force Marcus's hand. 

Personally now I think he may be the front runner - but we are all still in the dark a bit.

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

Never mind "how do you work that out?", it's more of a "where did you get that from?" or "who said that?".

Seriously, who said Jack's a racist?

You know the old story told about the First World War messenger service where a message relayed verbally relayed through 10 runners finishes up  being delivered as "send three and fourpence we are going to a dance" which started off as "Send reinforcements we're going to advance"  This has a similar origin except that it didn't relate to Jack Ross but was a reply by a poster to another.. Wind up nearchant.. That was clearly meant lightheartedly even if misjudged for present times. 

[emoji4]

ETA

The post was not racist.