Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

According to a number of press reports Jack Ross's second interview is today. He's not got the job yet. And the speculation is still that Paul Hurst is still first choice. 

Its certainly much clearer now that Ross would take this job in a heartbeat and rightly so. 

5 minutes ago, div said:

If you don’t want bigger clubs to court our manager the solution is to hire a manager who is shit.

What’s happening here is the price we pay for success.

I’m cool with it tbh.

Jack delivered what he set out to do, he’s taken the club back to the top flight, and if he can now go and earn 5 times his salary elsewhere at a club which, when all said and done, is much bigger than we could ever be, then fair enough.

Managers, staff, board members & players come and go. Fans are the only constant.

As one chapter closes another begins.

This comment sums it up perfectly. 

People saying we can't sustain a manager running away to interviews every few months are saying we can't sustain a successful manager... Which in a way is true because success means interest and any manager with ambition will listen to opportunity. 

The only difference between Jack Ross and other managers at this level is teams want to talk to him. Does anyone really think Hopkin, Naysmith, Robertson, etc wouldn't listen to Ipswich? Or if Goodwin, Neilson, anyone else we brought in were approched by an EC club they wouldn't listen? 

1 minute ago, StuD said:

According to a number of press reports Jack Ross's second interview is today. He's not got the job yet. And the speculation is still that Paul Hurst is still first choice. 

Its certainly much clearer now that Ross would take this job in a heartbeat and rightly so. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-ross-set-more-ipswich-12548356

The article basically says

Unless Ross impresses so much that Ipswich offer him the job, St Mirren will be in Premiership limbo until Hurst is available for talks.

1 minute ago, StuD said:

I take it Div is a source of reliable info around these parts? If you was to put on a scale, 1 being - Div has no clue to 10 being - Div knows his stuff and is always pretty much bang on, where would you put his latest info on the scale? (Ross being here possibly before the weekend)

Cheers. 

If you don’t want bigger clubs to court our manager the solution is to hire a manager who is shit.

What’s happening here is the price we pay for success.

I’m cool with it tbh.

Jack delivered what he set out to do, he’s taken the club back to the top flight, and if he can now go and earn 5 times his salary elsewhere at a club which, when all said and done, is much bigger than we could ever be, then fair enough.

Managers, staff, board members & players come and go. Fans are the only constant.

As one chapter closes another begins.

Except, he’s not off to Ipswich, so that aside, totally agree.

5 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

I take it Div is a source of reliable info around these parts? If you was to put on a scale, 1 being - Div has no clue to 10 being - Div knows his stuff and is always pretty much bang on, where would you put his latest info on the scale? (Ross being here possibly before the weekend)

Cheers. 

Usually 10 ish

10 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Cheers. 

He is the guy who runs this site and pie and bovril site has a lot of dealings with the club I would say he's spot on with his info. So a 10 in answer to your question. 

Edited by elvis

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

He is the guy who runs this site and pie and bovril site has a lot of dealings with the club I would say he's spot on with his info. So a 10 in answer to your question. 

Cheers. From a Town perspective, I'm going to say if Ross isn't appointed by Tuesday of next week, we can assume that we are actually waiting for Paul Hurst (to speak to at least).

However, I hope Div is right!

22 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Cheers. 

That's a very subjective question around these parts :lol:

26 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Cheers. 

Of all people to ask:lol:

ETA - in answer to your question, it very much depends on how pished he is:P

Edited by Drew

30 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

This comment sums it up perfectly. 

People saying we can't sustain a manager running away to interviews every few months are saying we can't sustain a successful manager... Which in a way is true because success means interest and any manager with ambition will listen to opportunity. 

The only difference between Jack Ross and other managers at this level is teams want to talk to him. Does anyone really think Hopkin, Naysmith, Robertson, etc wouldn't listen to Ipswich? Or if Goodwin, Neilson, anyone else we brought in were approched by an EC club they wouldn't listen? 

Exactly this. No manager is going to refuse talking to an EC club while managing St Mirren. The fact he "goes away for interviews every few months" means we've actually got a good manager in place. As Div said, if we can't handle that then we should just employ shit managers.

Just now, linwood buddie said:

I hope your right Bud.

Linwood. I feel roughly the same way but have changed my position a little. JR is hot property and will go, either now or later. Ideally that would have been after taking the club into the top six of the premiership and perhaps reaching a cup semi or final. He has done a great job with us. Ipswich are a bigger club than I think most of us appreciate both in financial and crowd terms and potential. They play in a league with a number of well known names. This would also allow Jack to join a middle ranking club in the division and help them compete at or towards the top of the Championship, putting his name in the frame for English Premiership jobs. So.. From my perspective this would be a good move for Jack and he would go with my best wishes. 

From St Mirren's point of view, we would receive substantial compensation from Ipswich and be in a position to give a new manager an opportunity to build his own team by selecting and recruiting players for the season coming up. Were we to sign an out of work manager with something to prove then he would have a bigger budget. Its not all bad. Maybe in fact, just the right time in many ways.

But when he gets it wrong he gets it spectacularly wrong.

I hope this is this seasons Argentinian take over.

I'm not having a go Div just hoping you're wrong this time.

31 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Cheers. 

Did Anyone see Div at the Morton game.

He dressed up in a rather fetching pair of black and white broad striped trousers only to be outdone by a guy with  the Full matching  black and white striped suit and a Black and white striped face.

If his contacts were that good  he would have been tipped off about how he was going to be outdone in the fashion stakes and upgraded his outfit accordingly.

With that in mind I shall rate him a 3 . JR going nowhere.

(Clutching at straws but keeping my hopes alive)

Was doing a run in Carlisle last night and saw a guy in a blue and yellow stripey shirt.

Me: "Are you a Shrewsbury fan?"

Him: "Yeah."

Me: "Please don't take this the wrong way but I really, really hope Ipswich steal your manager."

Him: "Ah, you'll be a St Mirren supporter then!"

We had a good chat and both agreed that Simon Grayson would be perfect for the job :) 

And to show the different worlds that are Scottish and English football, he said if Shrewsbury got promoted in the play-offs a season in the Championship was worth at least £8million...

15 minutes ago, Hambud said:

But when he gets it wrong he gets it spectacularly wrong.

I hope this is this seasons Argentinian take over.

I'm not having a go Div just hoping you're wrong this time.

In all fairness they were looking to buy the club. Thank God it fell through. 

56 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Cheers. 

1 definitely, at least when it comes to running football forums. The Sin Bin is his daft concept

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

1 definitely, at least when it comes to running football forums. The Sin Bin is his daft concept

I don't know, it's been a welcome breath of fresh-air having LPM confined and only dealing with him when you want a right good laugh at his POV.