Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Think we're now at the stage where even if it isn't Ipswich, there are enough suitors out there to suggest the someone will tempt Jack this pre season. 

And really, what do some sections of our support really expect? Two weeks ago everyone was high as a kite that he'd won manager of the year in Scotland amongst his peers. A country where Brendan Rodgers is on the brink of back to back trebles and Stevie Clarke is performing just short of miracles at Kilmarnock but their peers are saying 'You're both good, this guy has been better, though.' 

Did anyone truly believe that the presence of Manager of the year for the entire country at a perceived small fish and available relatively cheaply by EFL standards wouldn't spark a frenzy to acquire his services?! 

It's about striking when the iron is hot and at present, his stock is at an all time high... It may never actually be higher with us. It's not about knuckling down and committing yourself for a minimum of this season like some suggest. No one is daft enough to do that, especially when by the end of the coming season your stock could be significantly lower. Jack Ross and St. Mirren, like the rest of us are now in a waiting game. Is it frustrating? Of course it is, this is a vital time in preparation of next season but it's part of football... It's just part of football that we've never really experienced as Buds, to have a man so talented at the helm that everyone wants to tempt him away. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Think we're now at the stage where even if it isn't Ipswich, there are enough suitors out there to suggest the someone will tempt Jack this pre season. 

And really, what do some sections of our support really expect? Two weeks ago everyone was high as a kite that he'd won manager of the year in Scotland amongst his peers. A country where Brendan Rodgers is on the brink of back to back trebles and Stevie Clarke is performing just short of miracles at Kilmarnock but their peers are saying 'You're both good, this guy has been better, though.' 

Did anyone truly believe that the presence of Manager of the year for the entire country at a perceived small fish and available relatively cheaply by EFL standards wouldn't spark a frenzy to acquire his services?! 

It's about striking when the iron is hot and at present, his stock is at an all time high... It may never actually be higher with us. It's not about knuckling down and committing yourself for a minimum of this season like some suggest. No one is daft enough to do that, especially when by the end of the coming season your stock could be significantly lower. Jack Ross and St. Mirren, like the rest of us are now in a waiting game. Is it frustrating? Of course it is, this is a vital time in preparation of next season but it's part of football... It's just part of football that we've never really experienced as Buds, to have a man so talented at the helm that everyone wants to tempt him away. 

Except no one has offered him a job yet!

Other than that I agree. His agent will be touting him for every managerial job going in the hope of getting him out of Paisley before the struggle to stay up begins to damage his stock. 

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

Other than that I agree. His agent will be touting him for every managerial job going in the hope of getting him out of Paisley before the struggle to stay up begins to damage his stock. 

And how do you know we will struggle are you a clarvoint 

6 minutes ago, StuD said:

The way that JR played Barnsley he increased his stock by making it appear that he turned them down when in fact he may never have been offered the job.

If Ipswich have 2 interviews with him then go for the Shrewsbury boss (and it's looking increasing likely that they're hanging on to talk to Hurst) then Jack's reputation will decrease somewhat.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I have no doubt Jack will continue to work hard if this latest situation with Ipswich falls through.  There has to be some question of 100% commitment if there is continued speculation with any existing or new interest from other clubs now and into the new season and Jack is (naturally) interested.  This is a critical time going into what will be a tough  season and stability will be required to strengthen the squad and performance on the park.  

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

I have no doubt Jack will continue to work hard if this latest situation with Ipswich falls through.  There has to be some question of 100% commitment if there is continued speculation with any existing or new interest from other clubs now and into the new season and Jack is (naturally) interested.  This is a critical time going into what will be a tough  season and stability will be required to strengthen the squad and performance on the park.  

100% correct.  

I do think if the Ipswich job doesn't happen we are getting closer to the stage that for JR's own professional integrity he must strongly consider committing to St Mirren for the next season.  If he's confident in his own ability which he clearly is then his expectation must be that his profile will continue to be high after a successful season in the Scottish Premiership.

All this chat of this being a distraction, a circus etc doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 

I hope this kind of distraction goes on and on and on, the longer the better. We had it last season, we have it this summer and if we have it next season it means we are still performing well and Jack is still doing a great job. 

When he leaves, I hope we experience it all over with the next gaffer.

2 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

The way that JR played Barnsley he increased his stock by making it appear that he turned them down when in fact he may never have been offered the job.

If Ipswich have 2 interviews with him then go for the Shrewsbury boss (and it's looking increasing likely that they're hanging on to talk to Hurst) then Jack's reputation will decrease somewhat.

I'm not convinced it will.

I reckon that the major matter preventing JR from being offered the Ipswich job outright is his lack of managerial experience above Scottish championship level.

I don't think any club could question his overall managerial ability or the way that he presents himself. Add into the mix, that popular opinion amongst fans (who haven't been in an 18 month cream puff), players and other  managers, is that he's an outstanding manager.

If JR had another year's experience with us at top league level, where we finished in the top six and played attractive football, he'd walk into a vacant managerial job at virtually any English championship team.

I've no idea what type of manager Paul Hurst is, but he seems to have been quite successful this season and  if he wants the job, then I reckon that Ipswich, rather than take a chance on JR's potential at a higher level, would go for the more experienced option in Hurst.

39 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

This is the flaw in your belief that Jack Ross will improve his current standing.

I hope, but doubt even, he could take us to top 6 and if we finish in the bottom 6 he will be seen as just one of a crop of managers scraping around the top league.

Anyway, lots of twists and turns before next season even starts. 

I haven't expressed any belief.

I said "If JR had".

Edited by FTOF

55 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

This is the flaw in your belief that Jack Ross will improve his current standing.

I hope, but doubt even, he could take us to top 6 and if we finish in the bottom 6 he will be seen as just one of a crop of managers scraping around the top league.

Anyway, lots of twists and turns before next season even starts. 

Optimistic as always ADS. 

30 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Domestic season hasn’t finished yet. Contracts haven’t expired yet.

Identical to this time last year when JR was linked with Dundee. Let’s all simmer down and enjoy the weather.

There are players holding off signing pre- contracts this from a reliable source who has proved correct on many occasions.  Gordon Scott is  not stupid I'm sure he will get everything under control.  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I'm not convinced it will.

I reckon that the major matter preventing JR from being offered the Ipswich job outright is his lack of managerial experience 

I've no idea what type of manager Paul Hurst is, but he seems to have been quite successful this season and  if he wants the job, then I reckon that Ipswich, rather than take a chance on JR's potential at a higher level, would go for the more experienced option in Hurst.

Yes, Ipswich taking JR is equivalent to the likes of Pat Fenlon or Stephen Kenny coming into our leagues. 

If hes stays he must draw line on the sand and 

now says no more offers will be considered ,we cannot have this carry on every few months

either clubs coff up the cash and offer him a deal , no more taking time off his job for interviews on our wage and time .

so stay or go ,

but if they dont want you ,there will come a time when we might not want you either 

15 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Yes, Ipswich taking JR is equivalent to the likes of Pat Fenlon or Stephen Kenny coming into our leagues. 

JR would be a risk for Ipswich. People on their Forum have likened our Championship with EPL 2 . 

5 minutes ago, mad saint 2 said:

now says no more offers will be considered ,we cannot have this carry on every few months

either clubs coff up the cash and offer him a deal , no more taking time off his job for interviews on our wage and time .

so stay or go ,

but if they dont want you ,there will come a time when we might not want you either 

A lot of sense in what you write. Especially your last sentence. Football managers are only as good as their last result /game/cup/league performance. Clubs don't keep them long when these are not panning out. 15 EPL managers lost their job this season. Were they all bad? 

Jack is currently in a strong position and from his personal point of view would be stupid not to recognise this and see where it takes him. Having said that, I think we could benefit from the board/manager /fans being focused on getting ready to hit the top six and becoming the best supported team outside Glasgow, Edinburgh,Aberdeen and Dundee. 

Mr Chairman. Over to you

20 minutes ago, mad saint 2 said:

so stay or go ,

Speak for yourself.

IF Jack has been interviewed twice, and I do stress IF, and they still haven't offered him the job then this is a clear indication that he hasn't convinced them he is the man they need.

When you are recruting people and the right person walks in, you don't f**k about: you offer the job immediately rather than risking losing him to one of a number of close competitors who are also recruiting for the same position.

Unless terms are already being discussed, it is pretty clear Jack is not their preferred candidate. There would be no other explanatiom for the delay. Ipswich are clearly waiting on someone else.