Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

37 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

StuD does raise some reasonable points but generally they are the bait that drag people in to allow him to continue to advance his anti saints agenda, skim and don't respond and hopefully it will all go away for a few months.

Is it anti St Mirren to point out that Jack Ross hasn't been offered another job since he became St Mirren manager? I thought most St Mirren fans were keen to keep Ross, however you seem to be suggesting that to be pro St Mirren you need to be like some of the forumsters on here who are basically writing Jack Ross's references for unofficial Ipswich Town websites in a bid to get him punted. :blink:

6 minutes ago, StuD said:

Is it anti St Mirren to point out that Jack Ross hasn't been offered another job since he became St Mirren manager? I thought most St Mirren fans were keen to keep Ross, however you seem to be suggesting that to be pro St Mirren you need to be like some of the forumsters on here who are basically writing Jack Ross's references for unofficial Ipswich Town websites in a bid to get him punted. :blink:

That will be the deluded one.  Think most would be more than happy to retain the services of the present management team, as we need to keep the consistency.

You said yourself Jack  wouldn't be able to build a team to win the championship. Not everybody gets it right.  Even past chairman and boards. So why don't you let bygones by bygones.

Go buy yourself a season ticket if you have nothing better to do with your time.

6 minutes ago, pod said:

That will be the deluded one.  Think most would be more than happy to retain the services of the present management team, as we need to keep the consistency.

You said yourself Jack  wouldn't be able to build a team to win the championship. Not everybody gets it right.  Even past chairman and boards. So why don't you let bygones by bygones.

Go buy yourself a season ticket if you have nothing better to do with your time.

I certainly don't remember saying that. I was heavily critical of Ross's performance as manager prior to February 2017 - I think justifiably so. I also questioned, correctly, his initial activity during the January 2017 transfer window where he released Walsh, Shankland, and Hardie (37 goals between them this season) and replaced them with Storie, Fjelde and Loy. I also remember praising the signings of Cammy Smith, highlighting that the club should play him through the middle and not the wide left position Ross was using him in, Eckersley and Stephen McGinn. 

I also predicted a 6th place finish for St Mirren this season. As I stated clearly I thought the starting 11 was good enough to compete to win the league but I questioned the quality of the back up. Most of that backup has been shifted out - many of them on loan in January - so clearly whilst the league position placing was wrong, my judgement on the playing staff wasn't too far out. 

A strong reminder this afternoon of why Jack Ross will be desperate to get that big move this summer while his stock is as high as it ever will be with St Mirren. 

Alan Archibald was getting all the plaudits last summer for guiding Thistle to a top 6 finish and this afternoon he has taken them via the play offs into the championship. He may well be sacked in the coming days and his chance of a move to a bigger club halted for the time being and possibly gone forever.

i want Jack to sign a new contract, stay at St Mirren and take the club forward like he has done so admirably in the last 18 months. However, I understand that a manager with a young family who hasn't made a great deal from football as a player that he must be very keen to get that life changing deal with a top club in Scotland or England.

Sadly I still think if he doesn't get the Ipswich gig that other clubs much bigger than us will come looking for him over the summer even if he does sign a new improved contract.

Interesting times at St Mirren.

Edited by Mr Zo

2 hours ago, StuD said:

The sooner all members put u on ignore the better. I will start. Byeeee

2 hours ago, StuD said:

I certainly don't remember saying that. I was heavily critical of Ross's performance as manager prior to February 2017 - I think justifiably so. I also questioned, correctly, his initial activity during the January 2017 transfer window where he released Walsh, Shankland, and Hardie (37 goals between them this season) and replaced them with Storie, Fjelde and Loy. I also remember praising the signings of Cammy Smith, highlighting that the club should play him through the middle and not the wide left position Ross was using him in, Eckersley and Stephen McGinn. 

I also predicted a 6th place finish for St Mirren this season. As I stated clearly I thought the starting 11 was good enough to compete to win the league but I questioned the quality of the back up. Most of that backup has been shifted out - many of them on loan in January - so clearly whilst the league position placing was wrong, my judgement on the playing staff wasn't too far out. 

:lol: Brilliant !!:lol:    Shankland accounts for 30 of those goals on his own ( In the THIRD tier of Scottish football )  What does that say about the other two free scoring superstars who couldnt even get in to double figures combined ? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

:lol: Brilliant !!:lol:    Shankland accounts for 30 of those goals on his own ( In the THIRD tier of Scottish football )  What does that say about the other two free scoring superstars who couldnt even get in to double figures combined ? :lol:

It says that I've been unfair to Ryan Hardie and only counted his goals since January. The figure should actually be 43 - and Shankland only accounts for 26 since I've only counted league goals. 

Edited by StuD

6 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So basically what you initially posted was absolute shite .  Not like you .:lol:

Given his propensity for magnificent arithmetical gaffes, we should be impressed that he managed to add up to 43!

Edited by FTOF

14 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

A strong reminder this afternoon of why Jack Ross will be desperate to get that big move this summer while his stock is as high as it ever will be with St Mirren. 

Alan Archibald was getting all the plaudits last summer for guiding Thistle to a top 6 finish and this afternoon he has taken them via the play offs into the championship. He may well be sacked in the coming days and his chance of a move to a bigger club halted for the time being and possibly gone forever.

i want Jack to sign a new contract, stay at St Mirren and take the club forward like he has done so admirably in the last 18 months. However, I understand that a manager with a young family who hasn't made a great deal from football as a player that he must be very keen to get that life changing deal with a top club in Scotland or England.

Sadly I still think if he doesn't get the Ipswich gig that other clubs much bigger than us will come looking for him over the summer even if he does sign a new improved contract.

Interesting times at St Mirren.

If Jack doesn't move to ITFC and an improved contract is on the table the BOD have to have a commitment from JR to honour the contract to ensure stability at the club. That means the club deciding whether cany interested clubs are given permission or not to talk to  the manager.  I understand any manager wanting to go on to bigger and better things but we need a commitment otherwise any contract is worthless. We need to be a bit more selfish and not as nice for the benefit of our club.

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So basically what you initially posted was absolute shite .  Not like you .:lol:

I'm glad I did it - it made you look stupid. 

Jack Ross punted 43 league goals and replaced them with Storie, Fjelde and Loy. Loy has scored 1 league goal this season. Craig Storie had a great season at Brechin where he hasn't managed a single league appearance. And Pal Fjelde is recovering from being released from a team in the Faroe Islands and is gearing up for a summer season in the Norwegian Third Division. 

2 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

If Jack doesn't move to ITFC and an improved contract is on the table the BOD have to have a commitment from JR to honour the contract to ensure stability at the club. That means the club deciding whether cany interested clubs are given permission or not to talk to  the manager.  I understand any manager wanting to go on to bigger and better things but we need a commitment otherwise any contract is worthless. We need to be a bit more selfish and not as nice for the benefit of our club.

Absolutely Nedflanders. Or at least a very inflated compensation figure within the contract. 

3 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

We're not being nice it's almost certainly written into his contract. There was never going to be a good time for this to happen but i'd rather it was now than halfway through the season.

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

Jack Ross punted 43 league goals and replaced them with Storie, Fjelde and Loy. Loy has scored 1 league goal this season. Craig Storie had a great season at Brechin where he hasn't managed a single league appearance. And Pal Fjelde is recovering from being released from a team in the Faroe Islands and is gearing up for a summer season in the Norwegian Third Division. 

Aye , thats it right enough.   JR punted 43 league goals !!  FFS you really are a f**kin tool.   Remind me how many goals that lot scored for saints ? 

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Aye , thats it right enough.   JR punted 43 league goals !!  FFS you really are a f**kin tool.   Remind me how many goals that lot scored for saints ? 

Can you not do it? My calculator broke with the last calculation..... :rolleyes: 

ETA - 16 goals. There did it for you....

Edited by StuD

22 minutes ago, StuD said:

It says that I've been unfair to Ryan Hardie and only counted his goals since January. The figure should actually be 43 - and Shankland only accounts for 26 since I've only counted league goals. 

Either way you are certainly very good at abusing statistics.

11 minutes ago, StuD said:

Stu, every club  in Scotland bring/brought in players that didn't work for a number of reasons.  Even Celtic paid big money for GMS and Cifti who basically bombed.  We operate at a different level so a lot of our recruitment is free transfer or out if contract.  Shankland was uninterested and overweight and Loy did a  good job before opting for Falkirk. Name me a manager who has succeeded with every player brought in?  Do you think Man Utd fans think Pogba or Sanchez have delivered based on reputation and price tag?

Edited by nedflanders123

8 minutes ago, StuD said:

This says it all.

Just now, nedflanders123 said:

Stu, every club  in Scotland bring/brought in players that didn't work for a number of reasons.  Even Celtic paid big money for GMS and Cifti who basically bombed.  We operate at a different level so a lot of our recruitment is free transfer or out if contract.  Shankland was uninterested and overweight and Loy discs good job before opting for Falkirk. Name me a manager who has succeeded with every player brought in?  Do you think Man Utd fans think Pogba or Sanchez have delivered based on reputation and price tag?

Of course, but that wasn't my point. I was admitting my initial criticism of Jack Ross and his personal performance as manager up to the end of January 2017 and justifying it. Those first three transfers in and out absolutely highlights some of the poor decisions he was making at that time.  Indeed it wasn't until it became clear that the Kyle McAllister deal to Derby was going through and that more cash was available that Jack Ross started to make signings that actually had a positive impact. He signed McGinn and Smith, and then followed that with Davis and Eckersley. 

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

This says it all.

Posted just after he got rid of players who would score 43 goals the following season and replaced them with three numpties who between them have scored 1 goal this season - one of whom hasn't managed a league appearance for the worst Championship side ever, and another who was freed from a Faroe Island club and who now plays in the third tier in Norway. As I've said my criticism at that time was perfectly valid. 

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Stuart Dickwad. The only person who thinks that 3 goals a season man Tom Walsh should not have been released . emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

St Mirren's top goalscorer at the time and who impressed enough at a poor Dumbarton side that he's got himself a contract at Inverness for next season. Do you want me to go over Craig Storie and Pal Fjelde's subsequent record yet again?