Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

10 minutes ago, StuD said:

St Mirren's top goalscorer at the time and who impressed enough at a poor Dumbarton side that he's got himself a contract at Inverness for next season. Do you want me to go over Craig Storie and Pal Fjelde's subsequent record yet again? 

My comments ALL relate to the three players you put forward as these wonderful goalscorers released by Saints  (32 goals in lower leagues  :lol:)  I made no comment on the other players.... but you knew that anyway , just another pathetic attempt at trolling from a sad & lonely specimen.

6 hours ago, StuD said:

Ofcourse you can. Back in the 70's clubs didn't run large expensive youth academies. They couldn't sign a youngster on an S'Form until they were at least 14 years old.  These days you've got a system where kids are attached and training with senior clubs at the age of 8 - usually the fastest, tallest, strongest kids at that age - and they get released by the age of 10 or 11 because their peers have grown where they haven't. And today if you don't have a club by the time you are 13 or 14 you're on the soccer scrapheap cause no-one that runs an academy is going to bother scouting your football matches no matter how good or how successful your team is. 

Back then St Mirren didn't have a huge network of scouts. Fergie had contacts who would give him the names of players he should have a look at and Fergie ensured he got people there to watch them. 

These days players as young as 13 years old command transfer fees - one as high as £2m. Back in the 70's that was impossible. 

All true

On Fergie he simply picked up the players who weren't any use to Rangers ie RCs

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

My comments ALL relate to the three players you put forward as these wonderful goalscorers released by Saints  (32 goals in lower leagues  :lol:)  I made no comment on the other players.... but you knew that anyway , just another pathetic attempt at trolling from a sad & lonely specimen.

Ryan Hardie scored more goals for Livingston against St Mirren this season than Rory Loy did for Falkirk in all his matches combined this season. Even Tom Walsh playing for the second worst side in the division managed to score as many goals for Dumbarton against St Mirren this season as Rory Loy did in 16 league games for Falkirk. 

What's even more ridiculous is that those signings were probably the ones funded by SMISA members. 

1 hour ago, StuD said:

I'm glad I did it - it made you look stupid. 

Jack Ross punted 43 league goals and replaced them with Storie, Fjelde and Loy. Loy has scored 1 league goal this season. Craig Storie had a great season at Brechin where he hasn't managed a single league appearance. And Pal Fjelde is recovering from being released from a team in the Faroe Islands and is gearing up for a summer season in the Norwegian Third Division. 

I'm quite glad Jack "punted" out those loanees who had us sitting miles adrift at the bottom. I'm even happier the replacements he did get in lead us to an amazing survival and many would go on to help us lift the title this year. You know, the ones he kept past the summer.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'm quite glad Jack "punted" out those loanees who had us sitting miles adrift at the bottom. I'm even happier the replacements he did get in lead us to an amazing survival and many would go on to help us lift the title this year. You know, the ones he kept past the summer.

As I've already accepted  - when the Kyle McAllister deal was concluded (or at least as near as damn it) Ross made some excellent signings. His first real successes of that transfer window. Smith, McGinn, Eckersley and - to a slightly lesser extent because of injury - Davis all played a big part in turning the club around. 

I too was glad when he started signing decent players it just took a hell of a long time to get to that point, all the while St Mirren kept on losing. I wasn't so happy at the loss of Hardie and Walsh both of whom I thought had ability, and the loss of Shankland who had clearly scored plenty of goals the season before but who was clearly low on confidence. 

40 minutes ago, StuD said:

Ryan Hardie scored more goals for Livingston against St Mirren this season than Rory Loy did for Falkirk in all his matches combined this season. Even Tom Walsh playing for the second worst side in the division managed to score as many goals for Dumbarton against St Mirren this season as Rory Loy did in 16 league games for Falkirk. 

What's even more ridiculous is that those signings were probably the ones funded by SMISA members. 

Who gives a f**k what they've done THIS season,  they were signed by us for last season and every one of them played their part in keeping us in the championship.

As I've already accepted  - when the Kyle McAllister deal was concluded (or at least as near as damn it) Ross made some excellent signings. His first real successes of that transfer window. Smith, McGinn, Eckersley and - to a slightly lesser extent because of injury - Davis all played a big part in turning the club around. 
I too was glad when he started signing decent players it just took a hell of a long time to get to that point, all the while St Mirren kept on losing. I wasn't so happy at the loss of Hardie and Walsh both of whom I thought had ability, and the loss of Shankland who had clearly scored plenty of goals the season before but who was clearly low on confidence. 
Shankland, if I remember correctly, went to our fragrant neighbours and stank the place out[emoji1]. Walsh will be plying his trade in lower leagues this year. Hardie may however get his chance in the top league.
Yes, Jack made mistakes in the transfer market the same as every manager, but by and large he's had more successes than failures . You mention that the McAllister money funded this. To me a manager who can revolutionise a team with the money made from selling a player who had made 17 appearances has something about them. He's not Alex Ferguson but then who is? He is however an excellent manager. You say that it took a hell of a long time to get to the point of us winning games. This was his first transfer window, the shambles he inherited being down to the previous 2 managers.

16 minutes ago, st jock said:

Shankland, if I remember correctly, went to our fragrant neighbours and stank the place outemoji1.png. Walsh will be plying his trade in lower leagues this year. Hardie may however get his chance in the top league.
Yes, Jack made mistakes in the transfer market the same as every manager, but by and large he's had more successes than failures . You mention that the McAllister money funded this. To me a manager who can revolutionise a team with the money made from selling a player who had made 17 appearances has something about them. He's not Alex Ferguson but then who is? He is however an excellent manager. You say that it took a hell of a long time to get to the point of us winning games. This was his first transfer window, the shambles he inherited being down to the previous 2 managers.

He also inherited a dressing room atmosphere that resembled a bunch of random people at a funeral rather than a team. That atmosphere had to change if we were going to survive and perhaps allowing Shanks/Hardie/Walsh to go was part of the improvement. When players spoke of the "feel in the dressing room" come summer it was one of the reasons some of them were delighted to sign on in the summer after their original shorter spells.

I have Dickson on ignore but going from the quoted posts his logic is utterly baffling, even by his batshit crazy standards.

I'm not sure which bit I like most - comparing the goal return of two strikers and a winger/attacking midfielder with a striker, a holding midfielder and a midfielder/defender, or comparing how many goals the three departed players have scored this season with how many goals the other players have scored for clubs that aren't St Mirren, as if that is somehow relevant.

Looking forward to his next hot take where he compares Lionel Messi's assists with Craig Samsons clean sheets.

1 hour ago, st jock said:

Shankland, if I remember correctly, went to our fragrant neighbours and stank the place outemoji1.png. Walsh will be plying his trade in lower leagues this year. Hardie may however get his chance in the top league.

Really? Walsh has signed for Inverness Caley Thistle. They are in the same league that St Mirren signed him to play in. Shankland is still an Ayr United player - they've been promoted to the Championship - the same league he scored 10 goals for St Mirren in. And Hardie is still a Rangers player. He may even get his chance of playing in Europe this year. 

Ross has had more failures than successes in the transfer market. It's not hard to count them up. And finally the "shambles he inherited" was a squad that many St Mirren fans believed would be in contention for promotion last season and argued blind with me that I was wrong when I was critical of the St Mirren performance in the 3-2 win over Livingston in the League Cup in the first match of that season. 

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have Dickson on ignore but going from the quoted posts his logic is utterly baffling, even by his batshit crazy standards.

I'm not sure which bit I like most - comparing the goal return of two strikers and a winger/attacking midfielder with a striker, a holding midfielder and a midfielder/defender, or comparing how many goals the three departed players have scored this season with how many goals the other players have scored for clubs that aren't St Mirren, as if that is somehow relevant.

Looking forward to his next hot take where he compares Lionel Messi's assists with Craig Samsons clean sheets.

I'm hearing that Craig Samsons sheets aren't that clean..... :rolleyes: 

42 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Why even entertain someone who:

A: Says that he isn't a St Mirren supporter,
B: Said he was giving up on Scottish football completely,
C: Constantly makes up stuff,
D: Constantly makes up stuff that contradicts the other stuff that he made up,
E: Wants babies to die and
F: Is a whiney wee bitch?

Just asking.

You made these three up. :rolleyes: 

So Shankland had to drop down a league to find a club who would sign him, and Walsh's team have been relegated, but they are both much better players than the ones we have now because Rory Loy was shite for Falkirk this year and Craig Storie plays for Brechin? Am I following this correctly?

Back to Jack.  One thing I am glad of in the present situation is that I have confidence in his single minded professionalism.  Reading his Wikipedia page shows that if it shows nothing else.  However long he is with us,  I believe that he will give 100 per cent.  So too,  James Fowler and of course Tony F.  It's been a while though since the season ended on 29 April.  Now 3 weeks of our close season gone.  The play offs are done and dusted. Roumors abound.  Uncertainty over the future has some fans in meltdown.  Calm heads are needed but so is communication and a show of leadership from the captain of our ship,  Chairman Gordon Scott. To paraphrase from a famous novel. "This is the best of times,  This is the worst of times " as our manager is linked with  two cities,  Ipswich and Sunderland.  Hope this nonsense helps to lighten the mood and I expect to hear more from the club on Monday. 

7 minutes ago, norman said:

So Shankland had to drop down a league to find a club who would sign him, and Walsh's team have been relegated, but they are both much better players than the ones we have now because Rory Loy was shite for Falkirk this year and Craig Storie plays for Brechin? Am I following this correctly?

Not really. What I'm trying to say is if Sunderland are thinking about Jack Ross as manager - don't. Go elsewhere. Simple really. 

5 minutes ago, StuD said:

Not really. What I'm trying to say is if Sunderland are thinking about Jack Ross as manager - don't. Go elsewhere. Simple really. 

Hopefully they do. Maybe the new guy can sign them Shankland and Walsh. They'll need those goals. 

8 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Thought the thread was about Jack Ross ? Not Stuart Dickson ?

It’s no coincidence that he reappears when we have potentially something negative happening at our club.

Im not a prolific poster on here but certainly check in most days, where’s the deluded pipefitter been for the last 18 months when things have been rosy in our garden? 

For you younger lot on here It’s almost 20 years now since he claimed on the old Saints guestbook to know ( from a friend ) all about St Mirrens financial situation and accounts at the Clydesdale bank.

Stewart Gilmour lured him to  the headmasters office at Love Street and the wee schoolboy Dickson was sent packing.

After all these years his bitterness for our club has grown, the man is a fantasist obsessed with St Mirren FC. 

Edited by Jimmy H

Back to Jack.  One thing I am glad of in the present situation is that I have confidence in his single minded professionalism.  Reading his Wikipedia page shows that if it shows nothing else.  However long he is with us,  I believe that he will give 100 per cent.  So too,  James Fowler and of course Tony F.  It's been a while though since the season ended on 29 April.  Now 3 weeks of our close season gone.  The play offs are done and dusted. Roumors abound.  Uncertainty over the future has some fans in meltdown.  Calm heads are needed but so is communication and a show of leadership from the captain of our ship,  Chairman Gordon Scott. To paraphrase from a famous novel. "This is the best of times,  This is the worst of times " as our manager is linked with  two cities,  Ipswich and Sunderland.  Hope this nonsense helps to lighten the mood and I expect to hear more from the club on Monday. 
You do know anyone can re-edit Wikipedia don't you?

14 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Jack Ross has held talks with Sunderland's new owners as the Black Cats prepare to vie with Ipswich for the St Mirren manager. Ross, who guided the Buddies to Scottish Premiership promotion this year, has already held talks with Ipswich. (Daily Record, print edition)

If this is true, it is now getting a bit silly.

Most of us anticipated it, but there has to be a point at which the BoD have to sit down with Jack and ask him directly whether he has the appetite and commitment  to remain at the club or not.

It was always going to be a delicate balancing act, but it is now tipping away from the option of the club remaining a hostage to fortune while Jack throws his hat into a different ring every week. He is entitled to do just that, but the interests of the club are paramount and must be safeguarded.

Pretty frustrating, truth be told.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

If this is true, it is now getting a bit silly.

Most of us anticipated it, but there has to be a point at which the BoD have to sit down with Jack and ask him directly whether he has the appetite and commitment  to remain at the club or not.

It was always going to be a delicate balancing act, but it is now tipping away from the option of the club remaining a hostage to fortune while Jack throws his hat into a different ring every week. He is entitled to do just that, but the interests of the club are paramount and must be safeguarded.

Pretty frustrating, truth be told.

You can definitely see how Fergie ended up getting sacked, can't you?! :lol:

I'm married to a Mackem so I kinda wouldn't mind him going there, but really, I think he'd be nuts to do so.

Mind, I think the last person to manage both St Mirren and Sunderland was very successful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Cochrane