Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

25 minutes ago, Hambud said:
9 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
Back to Jack.  One thing I am glad of in the present situation is that I have confidence in his single minded professionalism.  Reading his Wikipedia page shows that if it shows nothing else.  However long he is with us,  I believe that he will give 100 per cent.  So too,  James Fowler and of course Tony F.  It's been a while though since the season ended on 29 April.  Now 3 weeks of our close season gone.  The play offs are done and dusted. Roumors abound.  Uncertainty over the future has some fans in meltdown.  Calm heads are needed but so is communication and a show of leadership from the captain of our ship,  Chairman Gordon Scott. To paraphrase from a famous novel. "This is the best of times,  This is the worst of times " as our manager is linked with  two cities,  Ipswich and Sunderland.  Hope this nonsense helps to lighten the mood and I expect to hear more from the club on Monday. 

You do know anyone can re-edit Wikipedia don't you?

I do Hambud. That's why I qualified it by saying "if it shows nothing else"

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

If this is true, it is now getting a bit silly.

Most of us anticipated it, but there has to be a point at which the BoD have to sit down with Jack and ask him directly whether he has the appetite and commitment  to remain at the club or not.

It was always going to be a delicate balancing act, but it is now tipping away from the option of the club remaining a hostage to fortune while Jack throws his hat into a different ring every week. He is entitled to do just that, but the interests of the club are paramount and must be safeguarded.

Pretty frustrating, truth be told.

If this is indeed true then did our board once again give him permission?  If they, our board, want Jack to honour his contract then time they refused to allow him to speak to any interested club. All this is doing is unsettling the club at a critical time when we should be looking at preparing for the new season. Inevitably, Jack will court suitors but he is hired and under contract to St Mirren and they should be doing more to protect its prized asset.  

4 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

If this is indeed true then did our board once again give him permission?  If they, our board, want Jack to honour his contract then time they refused to allow him to speak to any interested club. All this is doing is unsettling the club at a critical time when we should be looking at preparing for the new season. Inevitably, Jack will court suitors but he is hired and under contract to St Mirren and they should be doing more to protect its prized asset.  

Which is of course its supporters and not Jack Ross.

6 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

It's a tough one. ideally, It sounds simple,  just say enough is enough. In practice it isn't. Jack is under contract and in that contract will have clauses which say that he can speak to potential suitors with the permission of the board and that this cannot unreasonably be withheld. The club could say no, Jack might do so anyway,  then what. No way back, loss of compensation and perhaps a judgement in JR's favour and us paying him money. Jack is a tough cookie.  That's one of the reasons he is successful.  As a player,  it isreported,  he walked out on a contract and refused to return. Mr Chairman. Over to you. 

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It's a tough one. ideally, It sounds simple,  just say enough is enough. In practice it isn't. Jack is under contract and in that contract will have clauses which say that he can speak to potential suitors with the permission of the board and that this cannot unreasonably be withheld. The club could say no, Jack might do so anyway,  then what. No way back, loss of compensation and perhaps a judgement in JR's favour and us paying him money. Jack is a tough cookie.  That's one of the reasons he is successful.  As a player,  it isreported,  he walked out on a contract and refused to return. Mr Chairman. Over to you. 

What contract did he walk out on as a player?

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

If this is true, it is now getting a bit silly.

Most of us anticipated it, but there has to be a point at which the BoD have to sit down with Jack and ask him directly whether he has the appetite and commitment  to remain at the club or not.

It was always going to be a delicate balancing act, but it is now tipping away from the option of the club remaining a hostage to fortune while Jack throws his hat into a different ring every week. He is entitled to do just that, but the interests of the club are paramount and must be safeguarded.

Pretty frustrating, truth be told.

There are definitely some awkward questions to be asked if this is true. 

As I said previously, he's going to go to someone by looks of things. The most important thing is that we aren't left in limbo but there's really not much we can do until someone makes a firm offer. 

I love the guy but I'm now of the opinion that I'm hoping he accepts if he gets offered something, moves on and we get to rebuild as soon as possible as this situation playing out time and time again  from now until he inevitably moves on is not beneficial to St Mirren FC. 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There are definitely some awkward questions to be asked if this is true. 

As I said previously, he's going to go to someone by looks of things. The most important thing is that we aren't left in limbo but there's really not much we can do until someone makes a firm offer. 

I love the guy but I'm now of the opinion that I'm hoping he accepts if he gets offered something, moves on and we get to rebuild as soon as possible as this situation playing out time and time again  from now until he inevitably moves on is not beneficial to St Mirren FC. 

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this is perhaps a tactic on JR's part to force Ipswich's hand as they seem to be stalling on taking forward their interest in him. You have to assume that he would regard ITFC as the better option?

Meanwhile, we can't remain passive observers while this plays out. The BoD cannot afford to keep granting permission for our manager to talk to other clubs. They must know that.

I also think it might now be time for the club to break cover and offer some kind if position statement (as long as they don't ask Jim Traynor to write the f**king thing!).

Just now, Drew said:

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this is perhaps a tactic on JR's part to force Ipswich's hand as they seem to be stalling on taking forward their interest in him. You have to assume that he would regard ITFC as the better option?

Meanwhile, we can't remain passive observers while this plays out. The BoD cannot afford to keep granting permission for our manager to talk to other clubs. They must know that.

I also think it might now be time for the club to break cover and offer some kind if position statement (as long as they don't ask Jim Traynor to write the f**king thing!).

It could be in his contract to speak to clubs Drew. 

11 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I appreciate that Ian, but why, then, was it reported that the club gave Ipswich permission to talk to him? Surely if it is a clause in his contract, no permission per se would be required (unless it was sought as a courtesy, which might well be the case as Evans seems like a reasonable sort).

Regardless, there is a real risk that this could become a bit farcical, and that's not really good enough.

Edited by Drew

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Couldn't care less if it's in his contract. The club comes first for me and everyone else who supports it, and the board have to tell Jack to make a decision on whether he wants to remain as manager or not.

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Couldn't care less if it's in his contract. The club comes first for me and everyone else who supports it, and the board have to tell Jack to make a decision on whether he wants to remain as manager or not.

Yep. Though we also want the compo that would come if another club nabs him. Assuming it's a six-figure sum, as reported, then that's why we've got to sit around with our thumbs up our collective butts until something happens.

The dream scenario is that Neilson's already been promised the job and is working quietly behind the scenes to bring players in . But that'd be pretty much unprecedented in football, so obviously isn't happening.

It's all about the compensation. The club will not want to miss out on £300.000 they know he doesn't want to be here so will continue to let him talk to anyone he wants to regardless of how it effects our preparations as long as it ends up with the compensation. 

I have to agree with every one else. This circus is getting monotonous and beginning to p!!h me off. Jack would appear (if all the paper talk is true) to see his future away from our beloved football team, if this is what he wants then f!!k off and let the club move forward under a new management. What do all the other clubs make of this. A manager does great things, wins promotion then appears to talk to a number of clubs too leave. It's crazy. Someone, and I mean our BOD need to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. How would we feel if Mr Ross goes nowhere? Would we be pleased or angry. Would we see him in the same adoring light as before? Get something sorted out sooner rather than later.

16 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Yep. Though we also want the compo that would come if another club nabs him. Assuming it's a six-figure sum, as reported, then that's why we've got to sit around with our thumbs up our collective butts until something happens.

The dream scenario is that Neilson's already been promised the job and is working quietly behind the scenes to bring players in . But that'd be pretty much unprecedented in football, so obviously isn't happening.

£20,000  apparently

7 minutes ago, old buddy said:

I have to agree with every one else. This circus is getting monotonous and beginning to p!!h me off. Jack would appear (if all the paper talk is true) to see his future away from our beloved football team, if this is what he wants then f!!k off and let the club move forward under a new management. What do all the other clubs make of this. A manager does great things, wins promotion then appears to talk to a number of clubs too leave. It's crazy. Someone, and I mean our BOD need to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. How would we feel if Mr Ross goes nowhere? Would we be pleased or angry. Would we see him in the same adoring light as before? Get something sorted out sooner rather than later.

What do you want the board to do - sack him and blow the compensation we will receive ?

Like it or lump it JR holds all the aces here and he knows it. Our board just have to sit tight and hopefully have the wheels in motion for a replacement if it comes to that.

Fans can gnash their teeth all they like it won't make an iota of difference we just need to sook it up for now I'm affraid.

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's all about the compensation. The club will not want to miss out on £300.000 they know he doesn't want to be here so will continue to let him talk to anyone he wants to regardless of how it effects our preparations as long as it ends up with the compensation. 

Where did the £300,000 come from. Apparently Jack insisted this be put in his contract.........

When Ross moved from Alloa to the Buddies last October, he had a clause inserted in his contract that meant other clubs would have to pay no more than £20,000 in order to secure his services.   Evening Telegraph

On 20/05/2018 at 7:54 AM, davidg said:

My friend from Ipswich reckons JR has definitely not been offered the job. He reckons the Chairman is after Lampard or Sherwood. If they turn it down then JR and the Shrewsbury manager will be given more consideration. 

Sherwood is not in the frame.

Lampard is a slow burner. ITFC fans overwhelmingly want Ross but the niggling thing is it does appear that we are waiting to approach Hurst.

It is getting frustrating for all concerned!