Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

13 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Where did the £300,000 come from. Apparently Jack insisted this be put in his contract.........

The £300.000 was agreed between us and Ipswich if he went there but it looks like they have decided to look else where. 

Long time ago but this is starting to do the rounds of clubs forums.

“Ross signed a pre-contractual agreement with Hartlepool United in April 2004.[2] Ross suffered ankle ligament damage and spent a large part of his time on the sidelines.[3] Hartlepool funded his rehabilitation and also allowed him to return home. However, Ross refused to return to Hartlepool, train or play for the club and asked Hartlepool's chairman Ken Hodcroft to tear up his contract claiming he was homesick. Hartlepool refused and asked for compensation and a refund of agent fees.[4][5] Ross left without consent and later went on sick and claimed that he would not return to Hartlepool even if "they were in the Champions League". He also criticised Hartlepool manager Neale Cooper for feeling let down by his actions, stating that "maybe the manager thinks I have let him down but that's nothing compared with how I feel about him". On 31 July 2005, Hartlepool agreed to terminate his contract after finally receiving compensation, which included a refund of the fees paid to Ross's agent.”

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It could be in his contract to speak to clubs Drew. 

If so Ian, that's a farce. We may as well work without any contract. No manager, irrespective of how good they are, should potentially hold all the cards.  A contract should encapsulate a commitment as players and managers are quick to condemn clubs when sacked or released.

49 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What do you want the board to do - sack him and blow the compensation we will receive ?

Like it or lump it JR holds all the aces here and he knows it. Our board just have to sit tight and hopefully have the wheels in motion for a replacement if it comes to that.

Fans can gnash their teeth all they like it won't make an iota of difference we just need to sook it up for now I'm affraid.

It's a cynical view but perhaps that's exactly what Ross is wanting to happen!

It's getting to the stage that some folk won't be happy when it's gone and maybe that would suit him just fine.

25 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

This is all getting a bit silly now, and I'm not referring to JR speaking to other clubs.  All this gnashing of teeth and "f**k off Jack" stuff is totally ridiculous and out of order.  You would think that some "supporters" would be happy for him to leave.  Personally, I would like him to stay but if he goes then good luck to him.

I'm going to assume, since he has always seemed to have a professional attitude, that he is getting on with the job that he is getting paid for and, if he is going for interviews, he is doing it on his own time - unless, of course, he isn't supposed to have any time of his own.

The truth of the whole matter is that none of us know the details of what is going on and anyone who claims otherwise is just a shit-stirring bastard.

Finally some sense.

Jack is doing what anyone else would do. If bigger clubs than us are interested in him then of course he's going to speak to them. If he doesn't get the jobs he will still give his all for us. There is no manager around who would be stupid enough to "commit to us for the whole of next season". If such loyalty still existed then we'd have had Steven Thompson playing out his whole career for us.

Yes it's annoying. Yes I want it sorted. Yes I'd love to see Jack give it a shot in the SPL with us. But the interest in him is a sign of how well he's done with us and he has every right to see what those clubs have to say. 

It's unbelievable there are actually some on here who want shot of him now because he's spoken to Ipswich and Sunderland. There is NO manager out there who would refuse that when they've only managed Alloa and Saints so far! 

7 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Finally some sense.

Jack is doing what anyone else would do. If bigger clubs than us are interested in him then of course he's going to speak to them. If he doesn't get the jobs he will still give his all for us. There is no manager around who would be stupid enough to "commit to us for the whole of next season". If such loyalty still existed then we'd have had Steven Thompson playing out his whole career for us.

Yes it's annoying. Yes I want it sorted. Yes I'd love to see Jack give it a shot in the SPL with us. But the interest in him is a sign of how well he's done with us and he has every right to see what those clubs have to say. 

It's unbelievable there are actually some on here who want shot of him now because he's spoken to Ipswich and Sunderland. There is NO manager out there who would refuse that when they've only managed Alloa and Saints so far! 

I hear you bud but why then did Jack and the club not agree a year on year rolling contract rather than him 'committing' to a fixed term contract? I understand a contract is basically worthless but how do any club progress with their desired manager if they can all just talk to any interested club?  How do other clubs hold a hands off approach while we don't?  I guess something must be written into his contract that he can speak to other clubs.

I get that Jack Ross is an ambitious young family man. I get that people want to wish him well for the future. And I get that the money these big guys are offering is a life changing opportunity for Jack and his family. 

That said, I am not a Jack Ross fan, I am a St.Mirren fan, and I want a manager who is 100% committed to our cause. If the Ipswich and Sunderland 'jobs' fall through, Jack will be telling us that he is 100% focused on being the St.Mirren manager, (until the next big money vacancy comes along).  I think it's probably best he goes as it just won't feel like he's interested.

" I've spoke to Dundee, Barnsley,  Sunderland and Ipswich but it's really HERE I want to be"  aye ok.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

38 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

I hear you bud but why then did Jack and the club not agree a year on year rolling contract rather than him 'committing' to a fixed term contract? I understand a contract is basically worthless but how do any club progress with their desired manager if they can all just talk to any interested club?  How do other clubs hold a hands off approach while we don't?  I guess something must be written into his contract that he can speak to other clubs.

If we had a rolling contract we'd be losing him for nothing if he goes this summer so it gives us a bit of protection in that sense. No idea how much that is worth but I'm not going to bandy about figures I have no knowledge of. Likewise it protects him on his end as a sacking would result in comp for him. At the time it was signed it made sense for both parties.

In regards to other clubs, perhaps their managers are just not in demand? Jack won MOTY for a reason. He's young, he has his teams playing good football and comes across as quite level headed.

I'm of the belief he did turn down Dundee if there's truth in the "chairman flying out to Spain" thing. I don't believe for a second Neil McCann was their first choice. Barnsley is more of a 50/50 as the risk was high and we were well on the way to the title, so it's easy enough to believe Jack saying he felt it was better to stay, but likewise Barnsley may well have said to him they wouldn't be offering him the job. Ipswich is an excellent opportunity. Sunderland are a shambles but the takeover may well change that, time will tell. I'm not keen on losing him to a L1 club but Sunderland are not your average L1 side and again I understand why any Saints manager would consider it. I'll be quite gutted if he ends up there to begin with unless he proves to be a real success. I'd much rather see him go Ipswich right now. I'd even more much rather he stayed! Que sera sera.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this is perhaps a tactic on JR's part to force Ipswich's hand as they seem to be stalling on taking forward their interest in him. You have to assume that he would regard ITFC as the better option?

Meanwhile, we can't remain passive observers while this plays out. The BoD cannot afford to keep granting permission for our manager to talk to other clubs. They must know that.

I also think it might now be time for the club to break cover and offer some kind if position statement (as long as they don't ask Jim Traynor to write the f**king thing!).

Ofcourse it is. We're supposed to believe that Sunderland in the middle of a takeover and with no current owner interviewed Jack Ross at the weekend. A weekend when Stewart Donald would have been busy enough trying to sell Endsleigh. 

This is obviously the work of Ross and his agent trying to get Ipswich to appoint him. Anyone with a brain can see that. Sadly at the Daily Record......

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It's a cynical view but perhaps that's exactly what Ross is wanting to happen!

It's getting to the stage that some folk won't be happy when it's gone and maybe that would suit him just fine.

Very cynical. How could we sack him as some folk seem to be suggesting. That would require us to pay him off rather than us receiving compensation and bang therefore goes a huge chunk of the player budget for next season. Get real we will not be sacking the manager nor should we. It's still only May for goodness sake this will all be resolved in a week or so plenty time for a new man to get his players in with possibly more budget than Jack would have IF it comes to that.

1 minute ago, StuD said:

Ofcourse it is. We're supposed to believe that Sunderland in the middle of a takeover and with no current owner interviewed Jack Ross at the weekend. A weekend when Stewart Donald would have been busy enough trying to sell Endsleigh. 

This is obviously the work of Ross and his agent trying to get Ipswich to appoint him. Anyone with a brain can see that. Sadly at the Daily Record......

Possibly more the agent than Jack Ross TBH. I don’t think a manager would openly get involved with this sort of rumour. 

21 minutes ago, StuD said:

Actually, I am also inclined to believe that this is Jack's agent at work here.

There is no credibility behind him being Sunderland's number one target.

There is something off about all of this. As I said earlier, Jack appears to be rushing this and, if so, it will be his downfall because everyone knows he is getting mentioned for these top jobs but nobody is offering him a position. That starts to reek, At best it sends alarm bells ringing amongst hirers.

I reckon Jack simply hasn't done enough to warrant being hired for these jobs. He needs to do something special first. Start winning Cups. Start beating the Old Firm. Promotion from the Scottish Champoinship is fine but it's hardly enough to get this sort of attention.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

20k compensation - wasn't that the figure quoted 2 contracts ago when Dundee came sniffing. Pretty sure it will have been upped accordingly with each new deal.

He's a Premiership manager (for) now.   Premier compensation. 

1 hour ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I get that Jack Ross is an ambitious young family man. I get that people want to wish him well for the future. And I get that the money these big guys are offering is a life changing opportunity for Jack and his family. 

That said, I am not a Jack Ross fan, I am a St.Mirren fan, and I want a manager who is 100% committed to our cause. If the Ipswich and Sunderland 'jobs' fall through, Jack will be telling us that he is 100% focused on being the St.Mirren manager, (until the next big money vacancy comes along).  I think it's probably best he goes as it just won't feel like he's interested.

" I've spoke to Dundee, Barnsley,  Sunderland and Ipswich but it's really HERE I want to be"  aye ok.

No manager is 100% committed if a bigger club comes calling.  

Just as I would give up my job if I got a better offer.

50 minutes ago, StuD said:

More than likely to make a decision one way or over, so he can decide on other offers.  Be it with St.Mirren or somewhere else.

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Actually, I am also inclined to believe that this is Jack's agent at work here.

There is no credibility behind him being Sunderland's number one target.

There is something off about all of this. As I said earlier, Jack appears to be rushing this and, if so, it will be his downfall because everyone knows he is getting mentioned for these top jobs but nobody is offering him a position. That starts to reek, At best it sends alarm bells ringing amongst hirers.

I reckon Jack simply hasn't done enough to warrant being hired for these jobs. He needs to do something special first. Start winning Cups. Start beating the Old Firm. Promotion from the Scottish Champoinship is fine but it's hardly enough to get this sort of attention.

Yep. 

Phil Neville this week reportedly sent Stevie Gerrard a Tweet saying "Im managing a girls team and you're boss in the pub league." Sure hes joking but rightly or wrongly thats how English football sees the Scottish game. 

They'll point to Brendan Rodgers and say he flopped at Liverpool but hes a God in Scotland. They'll point at Stevie Clarke and say he struggled to get manager jobs in England. Yet hes winning at Kilmarnock and was quoted for the Scotland job. They'll think Stevie Gerrard has chosen an easy gig in the SPL before getting a big job back in the English Championship. They'll point at Lennon, Stubbs, Neilson, Warburton, Mowbray, Neil, and MacInnes and point out they all struggled at lower levels in England. 

Ross won't get the Ipswich job. That's increasingly obvious. Hes not likely to get the Sunderland job either despite his agents desperate attempts to put him in the frame. The one route out and South I can see for him might be Brian Caldwell.

9 minutes ago, pod said:

No manager is 100% committed if a bigger club comes calling.  

Just as I would give up my job if I got a better offer.

You state this as if it were a fact of similar standing as the law of gravity. However, some people stay in a job because they enjoy it or feel a sense of belonging and purpose. Some people like to finish what they start.  Some people honour contracts and some don't. I appreciate that Jack seems to have insisted on an option to let him leave and that's fine - the St Mirren Board has acted in an honourable way letting him speak to Ipswich. I am equaĺly sure the Board didn't anticipate this turning into a potentially ongoing situation where Jack's head is turned  quite this often - assuming the Sunderland rumour is true.

4 minutes ago, StuD said:

Yep. 

Phil Neville this week reportedly sent Stevie Gerrard a Tweet saying "Im managing a girls team and you're boss in the pub league." Sure hes joking but rightly or wrongly thats how English football sees the Scottish game. 

They'll point to Brendan Rodgers and say he flopped at Liverpool but hes a God in Scotland. They'll point at Stevie Clarke and say he struggled to get manager jobs in England. Yet hes winning at Kilmarnock and was quoted for the Scotland job. They'll think Stevie Gerrard has chosen an easy gig in the SPL before getting a big job back in the English Championship. They'll point at Lennon, Stubbs, Neilson, Warburton, Mowbray, Neil, and MacInnes and point out they all struggled at lower levels in England. 

Ross won't get the Ipswich job. That's increasingly obvious. Hes not likely to get the Sunderland job either despite his agents desperate attempts to put him in the frame. The one route out and South I can see for him might be Brian Caldwell.

Going by what Phil has tweeted I think that's one of his less controversial ones......

And who is "they" exactly

12 minutes ago, StuD said:

That tweet came from a parody account not Phil Neville :lol:

image.png.16169089e8635a4d4ed48065d5e3e2f9.png

image.png.c1f214afb5964c4050d398f38c06daaa.png

Edited by Spam_Valley