Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

IF Jack has been interviewed twice, and I do stress IF, and they still haven't offered him the job then this is a clear indication that he hasn't convinced them he is the man they need.

When you are recruting people and the right person walks in, you don't f**k about: you offer the job immediately rather than risking losing him to one of a number of close competitors who are also recruiting for the same position.

Unless terms are already being discussed, it is pretty clear Jack is not their preferred candidate. There would be no other explanatiom for the delay. Ipswich are clearly waiting on someone else.

Been saying much the same thing all week. If Jack Ross was the man they wanted it makes you wonder what a second interview would have been needed for anyway. What was the first interview? A numeracy test? Perhaps a psychometric test? Maybe Jack Ross didn't have good examples of how to manage a football team and he got sent away to think about it? 

The reaction of some fans has been a joke. Ross wasn't offered the job at Dundee, MK Dons or at Barnsley and he's at best second choice at Ipswich. I can't blame Ross and his agent for touting him around but unless there's a job opening up amongst the top five clubs in Scotland, or Brian Caldwell decides Jack Ross is the man to replace Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, I reckon Jack Ross will still be St Mirren manager next season. 

Edited by StuD

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

IF Jack has been interviewed twice, and I do stress IF, and they still haven't offered him the job then this is a clear indication that he hasn't convinced them he is the man they need.

When you are recruting people and the right person walks in, you don't f**k about: you offer the job immediately rather than risking losing him to one of a number of close competitors who are also recruiting for the same position.

Unless terms are already being discussed, it is pretty clear Jack is not their preferred candidate. There would be no other explanatiom for the delay. Ipswich are clearly waiting on someone else.

..... before they take the final decision.

Agree.

17 minutes ago, StuD said:

Been saying much the same thing all week. If Jack Ross was the man they wanted it makes you wonder what a second interview would have been needed for anyway. What was the first interview? A numeracy test? Perhaps a psychometric test? Maybe Jack Ross didn't have good examples of how to manage a football team and he got sent away to think about it? 

The reaction of some fans has been a joke. Ross wasn't offered the job at Dundee, MK Dons or at Barnsley and he's at best second choice at Ipswich. I can't blame Ross and his agent for touting him around but unless there's a job opening up amongst the top five clubs in Scotland, or Brian Caldwell decides Jack Ross is the man to replace Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, I reckon Jack Ross will still be St Mirren manager next season. 

How do you know Ross wasn't offered the job at Dundee ? I'm pretty sure he was . Did the Dundee chairman not interrupt Jack's summer holidays to offer it to him ? After he knocked it back I'm sure that's when McCann came back into the frame.

How do you know Ross wasn't offered the job at Dundee ? I'm pretty sure he was . Did the Dundee chairman not interrupt Jack's summer holidays to offer it to him ? After he knocked it back I'm sure that's when McCann came back into the frame.

You have to take what Dickson says with a massive dollop of salt .

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15376326.Jack_Ross_was_never_tempted_to_ditch_St_Mirren_for_Dundee/

4 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Listen to all the bleeding experts here. Trying to pretend to be astute. What a joke. Jack is hanging aff every word as he try's to make up his mind. I expect he'll be sending you all a thank you note. No doubt wtitten on a fiver saying 'Thanks. Please spend wisely'. 

No bother Shull. 

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15376326.Jack_Ross_was_never_tempted_to_ditch_St_Mirren_for_Dundee/

I'm aware of his crud. No doubt this evidence will be dismissed though as Ross manipulating for self gain , or some other pish. 

1 hour ago, StuD said:

Psychometric test :lol:

Well it almost wouldn't surprise me if football clubs decided to replicate the utter stupidity of the modern day large company by introducing these.

It's the second interview which has led me to my viewpoint. I agree with you on that score. A second interview and he STILL has not been offered the job? He simply cannot be first choice unless, as I said earlier, they have been sorting out personal terms. Why would it take more than a few hours to sort those out though?

Nah, Jack is staying unless Ipswich don't get their main target(s).

You might be right about him needing to either go to a Shrewsbury first or taking Saints to 3rd place next season.

As good as Jack is, I just don't see a good enough track record yet to justify any of this attention he is getting. It's just way too soon.

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And here's Dundee's version of the story

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-chief-john-nelms-denies-10550573

Fact was that Neil McCann was their first choice but McCann ruled himself out of the job. Ross was second choice. They approached Ross and Ross was keen, then McCann changed his mind and Nelms returned home and made McCann his manager. The job was never offered to Ross - nor was the Barnsley job, nor the MK Dons job. If he had been offered any of those jobs he would have been off like a bullet. 

Jack Ross did the same badge kissing stuff after it became clear he wasn't getting the Barnsley job too, and I fully expect the same rubbish when it becomes clear Ipswich aren't offering him the job either. 

Edited by StuD

14 minutes ago, StuD said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-chief-john-nelms-denies-10550573

Fact was that Neil McCann was their first choice but McCann ruled himself out of the job. Ross was second choice. They approached Ross and Ross was keen, then McCann changed his mind and Nelms returned home and made McCann his manager. The job was never offered to Ross - nor was the Barnsley job, nor the MK Dons job. If he had been offered any of those jobs he would have been off like a bullet. 

If he had been offered the Dundee job he'd have been-"off like a bullet " ? 

I smell Shull.

Interesting  discussion .many seem to accept Jack Ross comes before  1877 St Mirren football club. Sorry I don't Jack is a great manager St Mirren is surely above  all else. Jack will be gone St Mirren will survive no matter the league with managers  coming  and  going. Commit or go Jack we need to move forward as St Mirren not Jack Ross. 

57 minutes ago, Ethan said:

No one is bigger than the club. Deadlines need to be put down. Our coming season is very important and we cant be hostage to waiting on other clubs taking Ross away. We need to start recruitment of players. 

Recruitment is already under way. Do you think Jack has just been sitting by the phone over the last two weeks waiting for IT to call and ignoring his work at SMFC? The season isn't even finished yet and players are still under contract until the end of the month. Plenty of time to get a squad together.

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Recruitment is already under way. Do you think Jack has just been sitting by the phone over the last two weeks waiting for IT to call and ignoring his work at SMFC? The season isn't even finished yet and players are still under contract until the end of the month. Plenty of time to get a squad together.

I don't doubt Jack's professionalism. 

Jack will have his targets and we will be talking to players of that there is no doubt. However if he is going then the players identified may not suit a new manager or the way he wants to play. This is why its crucial to have this sorted now not weeks down the line.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Psychometric test :lol:

Well it almost wouldn't surprise me if football clubs decided to replicate the utter stupidity of the modern day large company by introducing these.

It's the second interview which has led me to my viewpoint. I agree with you on that score. A second interview and he STILL has not been offered the job? He simply cannot be first choice unless, as I said earlier, they have been sorting out personal terms. Why would it take more than a few hours to sort those out though?

Nah, Jack is staying unless Ipswich don't get their main target(s).

You might be right about him needing to either go to a Shrewsbury first or taking Saints to 3rd place next season.

As good as Jack is, I just don't see a good enough track record yet to justify any of this attention he is getting. It's just way too soon.

Do you know this for sure ?

Isn't it possible that JR hasn't accepted it yet until all details are agreed ?

Just asking.

I don't doubt Jack's professionalism. 
It's not about Jack's professionalism it's about players knowing if they are signing up to be managed by Jack Ross or is there a chance they could end up working for a dinosaur like Yogi Hughes or the likes.

I've a hunch the reason Gavin Reilly hasn't made a decision is because he doesn't know if he'll be working with his pal James Fowler or is he maybe going to be managed by the guy that was in charge during his unhappy spell at Hearts. Whether Jack is still trying to sign players doesn't matter a jot if the players don't know who is going to be in charge.

I don't think Jack Ross is going to be offered the Ipswich job.  If he was their number one target then they would have appointed him by now.  

We know Jack Ross has a very good chance of becoming a top manager in Britain but I am not convinced winning the Scottish Championship and manager of the year in Scotland cuts a whole load of mustered in England.

I think Ipswich are a good sized club with plenty of potential and will be looking for a bigger name than Jack Ross.

hopefully Jack isn't offered the job and St Mirren offer Jack an improved contract making him our highest paid manager and ask him to commit his future to St Mirren FC for the next two seasons.

In Jack We Trust!

Just now, EssexTractor said:

I am genuinely disappointed that this hasn’t been wrapped up already, either way. 

Very true.  I would imagine it will be,  one way or another,  before our season tickets go on sale on 22 May. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

hopefully Jack isn't offered the job and St Mirren offer Jack an improved contract making him our highest paid manager and ask him to commit his future to St Mirren FC for the next two seasons.

Have we not already done that?  After the Dundee Chairman's Spanish adventure.

I have to say, putting a manager on a contract seems pretty pointless.  Jack Ross, for example, seems willing to talk to any and every chairman with a job available and if a manager wants to go, he goes.  As compared to a player, the amount of compensation you receive as absolutely insignificant.

On the other hand, if you give them a big contract and they fail to deliver success you need to pay up the contract in full at huge expense to the club.  Alan Pardrew has made more for this particular trick over the past couple of seasons than St Mirren's turnover for an entire decade!

Edited by Kemp

Jack Ross did the same badge kissing stuff after it became clear he wasn't getting the Barnsley job too, and I fully expect the same rubbish when it becomes clear Ipswich aren't offering him the job either. 

& Guess which version I believe ? So the Dundee guy jumps on a plane , interrupts Jacks holiday “just to find out what his position was ? Aye, that’ll be the right version of events [emoji23]. As for his Neil McCann was the only person offered the job .? What did you expect him to say ?? “We brought Neil in coz Jack Ross knocked us back !?!? “ You’re really not very bright are you you ?

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Alloa fan I know was chatting to Jim Goodwin  about JR , and Goodie suggested that Jack was a serious candidate for the Sunderland job.

Straight from the horse's mouth then!