Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

11 minutes ago, StuD said:

Yep. 

Phil Neville this week reportedly sent Stevie Gerrard a Tweet saying "Im managing a girls team and you're boss in the pub league." Sure hes joking but rightly or wrongly thats how English football sees the Scottish game. 

They'll point to Brendan Rodgers and say he flopped at Liverpool but hes a God in Scotland. They'll point at Stevie Clarke and say he struggled to get manager jobs in England. Yet hes winning at Kilmarnock and was quoted for the Scotland job. They'll think Stevie Gerrard has chosen an easy gig in the SPL before getting a big job back in the English Championship. They'll point at Lennon, Stubbs, Neilson, Warburton, Mowbray, Neil, and MacInnes and point out they all struggled at lower levels in England. 

Ross won't get the Ipswich job. That's increasingly obvious. Hes not likely to get the Sunderland job either despite his agents desperate attempts to put him in the frame. The one route out and South I can see for him might be Brian Caldwell.

I could name as many players and previous English and Foreign managers who have failed in England.  Our game here which gets revenue in millions cannot compete with a revenue in billions plus a population  tenth of England. Any talent we unearth will be sold for buttons (only Celtic can realistically compete on wages for certain players and offer championship football most years).  We have always been looked down on from our southern sassenachs and always will.  However, you are being a bit hard on those who choose to manage our top clubs.  Sobeit if we are seen as a diddy league, we are where we are and unlikely to garner the financial success enjoyed down south.

16 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I appreciate that Bud, but as I said I’m a St.Mirren fan not a Jack Ross fan and from where I am sitting Billy Smart couldn’t do a better job of this situation!

Buddie. Thanks for bringing some humour to the situation. Oh what a circus at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If we had a rolling contract we'd be losing him for nothing if he goes this summer so it gives us a bit of protection in that sense. No idea how much that is worth but I'm not going to bandy about figures I have no knowledge of. Likewise it protects him on his end as a sacking would result in comp for him. At the time it was signed it made sense for both parties.

In regards to other clubs, perhaps their managers are just not in demand? Jack won MOTY for a reason. He's young, he has his teams playing good football and comes across as quite level headed.

I'm of the belief he did turn down Dundee if there's truth in the "chairman flying out to Spain" thing. I don't believe for a second Neil McCann was their first choice. Barnsley is more of a 50/50 as the risk was high and we were well on the way to the title, so it's easy enough to believe Jack saying he felt it was better to stay, but likewise Barnsley may well have said to him they wouldn't be offering him the job. Ipswich is an excellent opportunity. Sunderland are a shambles but the takeover may well change that, time will tell. I'm not keen on losing him to a L1 club but Sunderland are not your average L1 side and again I understand why any Saints manager would consider it. I'll be quite gutted if he ends up there to begin with unless he proves to be a real success. I'd much rather see him go Ipswich right now. I'd even more much rather he stayed! Que sera sera.

A rolling 1 year contract would mean that it always had a year left on it, meaning the interested club would need to pay up the a year of his contract to free him from it, or whatever compensation amount is contained within the contract.

Ofcourse it is. We're supposed to believe that Sunderland in the middle of a takeover and with no current owner interviewed Jack Ross at the weekend. A weekend when Stewart Donald would have been busy enough trying to sell Endsleigh. 
This is obviously the work of Ross and his agent trying to get Ipswich to appoint him. Anyone with a brain can see that. Sadly at the Daily Record......
At last Stuart a sensible non argumentative statement from you that most people agree with.

If only that could continue.

Yep. 
Phil Neville this week reportedly sent Stevie Gerrard a Tweet saying "Im managing a girls team and you're boss in the pub league." Sure hes joking but rightly or wrongly thats how English football sees the Scottish game. 
They'll point to Brendan Rodgers and say he flopped at Liverpool but hes a God in Scotland. They'll point at Stevie Clarke and say he struggled to get manager jobs in England. Yet hes winning at Kilmarnock and was quoted for the Scotland job. They'll think Stevie Gerrard has chosen an easy gig in the SPL before getting a big job back in the English Championship. They'll point at Lennon, Stubbs, Neilson, Warburton, Mowbray, Neil, and MacInnes and point out they all struggled at lower levels in England. 
Ross won't get the Ipswich job. That's increasingly obvious. Hes not likely to get the Sunderland job either despite his agents desperate attempts to put him in the frame. The one route out and South I can see for him might be Brian Caldwell.
Twice now I'm away for a lie down.

34 minutes ago, Soctty said:

A rolling 1 year contract would mean that it always had a year left on it, meaning the interested club would need to pay up the a year of his contract to free him from it, or whatever compensation amount is contained within the contract.

Thank you mate. Beat me to it.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

"Better" is a relative term.  If you had a sense of belonging and/or enjoyed your job etc. then you might not consider any specific job offer better, however, someone you work with might.

Agree with this sentiment.  Did exactly that despite many financially "better" offers but left to start up my own businesses when I stopped enjoying it. 

But........ the potential multiple increase in salary and exposure must be tempting.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Seeing as both your yourself and Ned have agreed on this, my apologies. My understanding of the term was incorrect then.

We now have umpteen threads full of teeth gnashers urging JR to make a decision pronto. He can't make a decision and their is no decision to make. As far as anyone on here knows he has not been offered another job so no decision to make. JR is the manager of SMFC and that will not change unless he is offered another job and he accepts that offer. Everyone needs to calm down and stop fretting. It's the start of the close season, JR and the players are on holiday and the transfer window is firmly shut. In other words calm the f**k down. Oh and please no more threads ffs, mods could do something about this it really is past a joke.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

JR offered improved terms to stay:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44203044?__twitter_impression=true

Have to say, I'm a bit ambivalent about this.

Why ?

If a player has a great season he gets an improved deal, why shouldn't Jack.....................  if we can afford that is ................... Guy has made us a top 12 club and with that comes many spoils

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Why ?

If a player has a great season he gets an improved deal, why shouldn't Jack.....................  if we can afford that is ................... Guy has made us a top 12 club and with that comes many spoils

It's all that the club can do........I don't like it but Support it.  Well done the board. 

Just now, DougJamie said:

Why ?

If it is proportionate, and a reasonable reflection of what he has achieved, fine. If, however, we are trying to buy some loyalty and commitment, that is naive and continues a trend that is unlikely to be sustainable in the longer term.

Hence why I said I am ambivalent.

We'll certainly not be able to compete financially with the likes of Ipswich, so it will only be a minor inducement for him to stay. A sweetener, perhaps.

"Improved" could well come with the caveats many on here have been looking for, ie some sort of loyalty clause. As always the devil will be in the detail but it's the only way we could convey some sort of deal.  It also brings it to the head folk are clamouring for. He signs or he is clearly away. It's a sensible enough move and we are in effect giving him an ultimatum.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

On 16/05/2018 at 1:58 PM, athens-saint said:

Is anyone else disappointed by the lack of information (silence) from within the club?

We`ve had to rely on teasers from Twitter to have any idea of what`s been going on.

I thought this was all supposed to change under new management.

Or is it just me?

Aye just me!!!

Hopefully if we are indeed offering him another new improved deal (3rd time in a year?) we will have some kind of clause saying he can only talk to 2 bigger clubs about vacancies in 12 months with the board's permission and that any talks should be done discreetly in future. Didn't we offer to make him our best paid boss in history about 3 months ago when he ruled himself out of the Barnsley job (after realising he wasn't getting it).

I have tried to take a positive view on bigger clubs being interested in Jack because its a sign of St Mirren's success, and would like to think that since he has advised players it can be good to stick with a club for a few seasons and not jump at the first offer that is made that Jack would stay around for a season with us in the top division. I think if he talks to any more clubs and stays put on another new improved deal some of the feel good factor will be lost, even though everyone hoped he would stay. At the minute it appears as if he is off having discussions with other clubs almost as soon as a vacancy is announced. It would be nice if occasionally when an English vacancy came up there was a quote saying "Jack Ross has already ruled himself out"

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

"Improved" could well come with the caveats many on here have been looking for, ie some sort of loyalty clause. As always the devil will be in the detail but it's the only way we could convey some sort of deal.  It also brings it to the head folk are clamouring for. He signs or he is clearly away. It's a sensible enough move and we are in effect giving him an ultimatum.

Not sure it's an ultimatum.

He could presumably sign it but still keep his options open - much as he is doing just now. There is absolutely no way he will put pen to paper that doesn't offer a relatively straightforward exit option.

I'm not suggesting that the club shouldn't be offering this, by the way, but I'm a wee bit wary.

Edited by Drew

40 minutes ago, Drew said:

JR offered improved terms to stay:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44203044?__twitter_impression=true

Have to say, I'm a bit ambivalent about this.

I too would be ambivalent, if I knew we had someone decent lined up to replace him.

As I've stated elsewhere, none of the names being mentioned fill me with positivity.

I agree with Doug  Jamie's view on this, although I can  see why others wouldn't.

Also, this news will undoubtedly put one particular poster into a fit of apoplexy.:lol:

23 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not sure it's an ultimatum.

He could presumably sign it but still keep his options open - much as he is doing just now. There is absolutely no way he will put pen to paper that doesn't offer a relatively straightforward exit option.

I'm not suggesting that the club shouldn't be offering this, by the way, but I'm a wee bit wary.

I meant an ultimatum in the short term, to the current situation. I think if he did say he was staying, sign a new contract, then next month speak to another suitor he would lose all goodwill towards him. I think it will be sign and knuckle down or leave, I suspect both parties may well see it that way too.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints