Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Alloa fan I know was chatting to Jim Goodwin  about JR , and Goodie suggested that Jack was a serious candidate for the Sunderland job.

I’ve heard  a similar story, but he would be a very brave man to take on the Sunderland job. That club is a total shambles from top to bottom and it will take years to sort out that mess. I imagine anyone taking that job will get 6 months at having them challenging at the top of league one. Anything less will result in the sack.

The problem we have with the delay is that it is effecting our preparation of building our squad for next season. No players are going to commit to joining us with the managers future in limbo. Probably the same with Reilly.

The uncertainty is not a good thing but I think Jack has earned the right for the club to be patient.

Hi all, another tractor boy here. Have been lurking since this thread was posted up on our forum but now feel I can shed some light on the current recruitment process at ITFC given that everything seems to have gone quiet on the JR situation.

First off, I'm not convinced that we're interviewing candidates twice. My pet theory is that the "first interview" was probably just a sounding out/interest check.

Credible speculation is that we've formally interviewed Mark Warburton, possibly Steven Gerrard before he went to Rangers, Tim Sherwood, Scott Parker, Frank Lampard and of course JR.

We do seem to be holding on in order to interview Paul Hurst. However, I don't necessarily feel that this means he is our first choice and we wouldn't end up appointing one of the above even after interviewing him. But he could be.

There is much concern amongst our fans that waiting to interview Hurst could see us miss out on JR, who is very much the fans preferred choice at this stage. Your meteoric rise playing good attacking passing football has us all making comparisons with our hugely successful period under George Burley. The way we've been bored to tears by Mick McBoring's safety first football for the past five years means we'd love a manager who is prepared to have a right go.

Anyway, maybe we'll have a press conference tomorrow and unveil JR. Here's hoping, but I fear this'll drag on for another week or two yet.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Do you know this for sure ?

Isn't it possible that JR hasn't accepted it yet until all details are agreed ?

Just asking.

Of course not. There osn't a single person on this forum who knows anything for sure.

If you re-read my post you will see I made it clear that the only other explanation for the delay would be terms being agreed although I doubted whether that would have taken a week.

47 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

I don't think Jack Ross is going to be offered the Ipswich job.  If he was their number one target then they would have appointed him by now.  

We know Jack Ross has a very good chance of becoming a top manager in Britain but I am not convinced winning the Scottish Championship and manager of the year in Scotland cuts a whole load of mustered in England.

I think Ipswich are a good sized club with plenty of potential and will be looking for a bigger name than Jack Ross.

hopefully Jack isn't offered the job and St Mirren offer Jack an improved contract making him our highest paid manager and ask him to commit his future to St Mirren FC for the next two seasons.

In Jack We Trust!

That would be a dream come true and dreams can happen.  

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Of course not. There osn't a single person on this forum who knows anything for sure.

If you re-read my post you will see I made it clear that the only other explanation for the delay would be terms being agreed although I doubted whether that would have taken a week.

There are other potential factors.  Terms are one,  I agree,  but his choice of ssistant might be another and complicating factor. 

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

There are other potential factors.  Terms are one,  I agree,  but his choice of ssistant might be another and complicating factor. 

I think it is highly unlikely that this would be the issue but we'll find out soon enough.

Just now, oaksoft said:

I think it is highly unlikely that this would be the issue but we'll find out soon enough.

Might is the word I used. 

A separate thread has been discussing this "possibility " and potential choices and impact. 

31 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

I’ve heard  a similar story, but he would be a very brave man to take on the Sunderland job. That club is a total shambles from top to bottom and it will take years to sort out that mess. I imagine anyone taking that job will get 6 months at having them challenging at the top of league one. Anything less will result in the sack.

Sunderland will have a playing budget that dwarfs any team in League 1.  I don't think you could actually find a much easier challenge in football than getting them promoted next season!

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Sunderland will have a playing budget that dwarfs any team in League 1.  I don't think you could actually find a much easier challenge in football than getting them promoted next season!

One approach to career building is to look for opportunity where other people see problems. 

I can see the sense in what you say Kemp. 

20 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Similar things were said about Dundee Utd last season, but I do agree that in terms of the size of budget Sunderland have at their disposal, then they should winning league one. You never know in football, but I expect Sunderland will go for a more experienced man.

25 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Just as simple as challenging for promotion in the championship? I see that went well. Their track record is atrocious and they don't have time to 'bed' a manager in.

The Sunderland job is a poisoned chalice. Colemans appointment looked like a stability and even he couldn't save them from the drop. 

24 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

& Guess which version I believe ? So the Dundee guy jumps on a plane , interrupts Jacks holiday “just to find out what his position was ? Aye, that’ll be the right version of events emoji23.png. As for his Neil McCann was the only person offered the job .? What did you expect him to say ?? “We brought Neil in coz Jack Ross knocked us back !?!? “ You’re really not very bright are you you ?

Ok why would the Dundee CEO fly out to Spain if Ross wasn't interested? 

The Daily Record version is much closer to the truth. 

19 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Easier in fact.  League 1 is easier to win than the Championship.

Yes it should be. I'd expect Sunderland to win promotion again. The club certainly have resources and financial power, especially if the debt has gone and there's a £41m parachute payment left intact - although there's some speculation that the £41m may have been part of the deal with Ellis Short. But the club still has some major issues pulling it down. For example Jack Rodwell is still under contract at the club. Last season he was reportedly earning £70k per week and refusing to play football for anyone. According to reports there's a relegation clause in his contract that means that now the club are League One Rodwell is ONLY due £40k per week. Borini who was on a six figure per week contract has left the club now to sign for AC Milan so his wage has been freed up but Papy Dijlobodji is still under contract and earning in excess of £50k per week despite not playing for the club - Sunderland were gutted he didn't make the Senegal squad for the World Cup as it might have gotten them a transfer fee. And Wahibi Khazri is still under contract till 2020 at Sunderland despite having been out on loan last season at Rennes. Kone, Cattermole, and O'Shea are all still on Premiership contracts earning large sums of money.

Charlie Methven - Stewart Donalds right hand man - yesterday talking to Bloomberg said that there would be an initial period of investment and restructuring with the aim to make the club fully sustainable. 

Whoever takes the Sunderland job on for the coming season - and I don't think it will be Jack Ross - will be working under a different regime to the one that used to go through managers every season. It will be a challenging job with huge expectations but it would also be a real opportunity to add an English League One title and turning round a real giant to their CV. 

21 minutes ago, StuD said:

Ok why would the Dundee CEO fly out to Spain if Ross wasn't interested? 

The Daily Record version is much closer to the truth. 

To try and persuade him possibly? 

12 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

This post just confirms how much of a troll you are. :lol:

It's not trolling,. It simply pointing out that Callums version of the "truth" doesn't make any sense. Dundee wanted Neil McCann and appointed Neil McCann. They only spoke to Jack Ross when Neil McCann initially said he didn't want the job and they dropped their interest in Ross the minute McCann changed his mind. 

Ross got his pals in the media to write some bollocks about his head never having been turned despite the Dundee Chairman flying out - presumably if you believe the Herald story - to stalk Ross and his family on holiday in Spain and some St Mirren fans lapped that pish up. Had Dundees approach been as illegal as the Herald makes out St Mirren would have lodged a complaint to the SPFL. The fact the club didn't speaks volumes. 

Ross will be off as soon as he gets the first official offer from anywhere. The problem for Ross is he hasn't been first choice in any of the jobs he's been in for and he still isn't. 

Edited by StuD

5 minutes ago, munoz said:

To try and persuade him possibly? 

Put yourself in that position. Just as you are about to leave for a family vacation an employment agency gets in touch with you and offers you a job. You knock it back and head off on holiday. Next day you're having dinner in a restaurant in your resort and the guy from the employment agency turns up wanting to persuade you to change your mind. You'd hunt him, like any sane person would - apart from anything else you'd be more than a bit surprised to see that he's managed to find out not only where you went on holiday but what resort you were at and what restaurant you were eating at. You'd be freaked out rather than impressed. 

No, it's obvious. The only reason the Dundee CEO went to Spain was because Ross was keen to sign for Dundee - and he was thwarted because Dundee's first choice - McCann - changed his mind and took the job. 

Yes it should be. I'd expect Sunderland to win promotion again. The club certainly have resources and financial power, especially if the debt has gone and there's a £41m parachute payment left intact - although there's some speculation that the £41m may have been part of the deal with Ellis Short. But the club still has some major issues pulling it down. For example Jack Rodwell is still under contract at the club. Last season he was reportedly earning £70k per week and refusing to play football for anyone. According to reports there's a relegation clause in his contract that means that now the club are League One Rodwell is ONLY due £40k per week. Borini who was on a six figure per week contract has left the club now to sign for AC Milan so his wage has been freed up but Papy Dijlobodji is still under contract and earning in excess of £50k per week despite not playing for the club - Sunderland were gutted he didn't make the Senegal squad for the World Cup as it might have gotten them a transfer fee. And Wahibi Khazri is still under contract till 2020 at Sunderland despite having been out on loan last season at Rennes. Kone, Cattermole, and O'Shea are all still on Premiership contracts earning large sums of money.
Charlie Methven - Stewart Donalds right hand man - yesterday talking to Bloomberg said that there would be an initial period of investment and restructuring with the aim to make the club fully sustainable. 
Whoever takes the Sunderland job on for the coming season - and I don't think it will be Jack Ross - will be working under a different regime to the one that used to go through managers every season. It will be a challenging job with huge expectations but it would also be a real opportunity to add an English League One title and turning round a real giant to their CV. 

If he had a decent chairman who was prepared to back him then this would be an absolutely phenomenal opportunity for Jack.
A real football club with 30,000 at every home game who would treat him like a God if he got it right.
The problem is the Board and the Chairman.

5 minutes ago, StuD said:

Put yourself in that position. Just as you are about to leave for a family vacation an employment agency gets in touch with you and offers you a job. You knock it back and head off on holiday. Next day you're having dinner in a restaurant in your resort and the guy from the employment agency turns up wanting to persuade you to change your mind. You'd hunt him, like any sane person would - apart from anything else you'd be more than a bit surprised to see that he's managed to find out not only where you went on holiday but what resort you were at and what restaurant you were eating at. You'd be freaked out rather than impressed. 

No, it's obvious. The only reason the Dundee CEO went to Spain was because Ross was keen to sign for Dundee - and he was thwarted because Dundee's first choice - McCann - changed his mind and took the job. 

Of my memory serves me right Ross said no a nearly a week past before McCann said yes Stuart I'm guessing Dundee went back to McCann with an improved offer. 

4 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

If he had a decent chairman who was prepared to back him then this would be an absolutely phenomenal opportunity for Jack.
A real football club with 30,000 at every home game who would treat him like a God if he got it right.
The problem is the Board and the Chairman.

True, and right now Sunderland are going through a takeover which is - if you believe Stewart Donald - to be ratified and concluded tomorrow.