Anyone But Hopkin

Lord Pityme

14 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Luvin it.... you must be absolutely beelin that Goody just got Wee Alloa promoted to the championship! The guys a winner, a saint and a man's, man.

I know you’re very selective in what you take in and you clearly struggle with facts. I’ll try make it a bit clearer than my previous post. 

If JR goes, Goody would be my first choice (if Fowler went with Ross) to take over. He’s done brilliant at Alloa and it’s an amazing achievement to get them promoted. 

You clearly think that me defending our current managers achievement is a shot at Goody, which it’s not in anyway. Just simply pointing out your clear negativity to JR and st Mirren and your incorrect information that getting Alloa through a play-off is a bigger achievement than getting st Mirren to the premier when you look at comparable budgets. (Four teams in our league with a bigger budget against likely only two in L1 for Alloa) 

what must go on in your mind to think I’d be anything other than delighted for Jim Goodwin hahahaha 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I know you’re very selective in what you take in and you clearly struggle with facts. I’ll try make it a bit clearer than my previous post. 

If JR goes, Goody would be my first choice (if Fowler went with Ross) to take over. He’s done brilliant at Alloa and it’s an amazing achievement to get them promoted. 

You clearly think that me defending our current managers achievement is a shot at Goody, which it’s not in anyway. Just simply pointing out your clear negativity to JR and st Mirren and your incorrect information that getting Alloa through a play-off is a bigger achievement than getting st Mirren to the premier when you look at comparable budgets. (Four teams in our league with a bigger budget against likely only two in L1 for Alloa) 

what must go on in your mind to think I’d be anything other than delighted for Jim Goodwin hahahaha 

"the seethe in your post is tangible"

why on earth are you trying to stir up trouble on this thread about who our next manager maybe? You've even resorted to trolling in the Sin Bin to try and get a rise! Ffs get a hold of yourself man.

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

"the seethe in your post is tangible"

why on earth are you trying to stir up trouble on this thread about who our next manager maybe? You've even resorted to trolling in the Sin Bin to try and get a rise! Ffs get a hold of yourself man.

You’re delusion is unmatched. Please point out where I’m trying to ‘stir up trouble’ 

because I think our current MOTY gaffer is better. What a strange stance you have against our club and management. 

• 2 weeks later...

So according to todays papers Hopkin is the board's preferred candidate. Fully recognise his achievements in getting Livi back to back promotions with limited resources.

however to me he brings back the playing styles of Jeffries, Calderwood and McPherson... that being basically 'kicking for touch' then trying to win set pieces. No passing play, no patience, just hoof ball and attrition. It has worked for him in League one & the championship, but we have seen throughout the years it fails miserably when deployed in the Premiership, where clubs with greater resources adapt, have and play to combat it, fitter, stronger more physical players.

with the debacle over kicking families and kids out of seats for the 'sectarian sisters' (which seems even more ridiculous as both of them are slashing away support seats), if Hopkin is appointed, how will season ticket sales fare? 

I think this appointment, and the club's decision to exclude families will be reflected in ST sales.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

So according to todays papers Hopkin is the board's preferred candidate. Fully recognise his achievements in getting Livi back to back promotions with limited resources.

however to me he brings back the playing styles of Jeffries, Calderwood and McPherson... that being basically 'kicking for touch' then trying to win set pieces. No passing play, no patience, just hoof ball and attrition. It has worked for him in League one & the championship, but we have seen throughout the years it fails miserably when deployed in the Premiership, where clubs with greater resources adapt, have and play to combat it, fitter, stronger more physical players.

with the debacle over kicking families and kids out of seats for the 'sectarian sisters' (which seems even more ridiculous as both of them are slashing away support seats), if Hopkin is appointed, how will season ticket sales fare? 

I think this appointment, and the club's decision to exclude families will be reflected in ST sales.

I wouldn't want this style either but how do you know the guy is a one trick pony? Maybe he employed the best tactics with what he had available? That remains to be seen...

1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I wouldn't want this style either but how do you know the guy is a one trick pony? Maybe he employed the best tactics with what he had available? That remains to be seen...

Saw Livvy each time they played us.  Also saw them play United 3 Times,  Dunfermline 3 times.  Each time they closed the opposition down quickly. They played tactically and sat in when needed.  They broke quickly.  They also employed the long ball when appropriate. Players each gave at least 100 per cent. These don't suggest to me that he is a poor manager.  Quite the opposite. 

30 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Saw Livvy each time they played us.  Also saw them play United 3 Times,  Dunfermline 3 times.  Each time they closed the opposition down quickly. They played tactically and sat in when needed.  They broke quickly.  They also employed the long ball when appropriate. Players each gave at least 100 per cent. These don't suggest to me that he is a poor manager.  Quite the opposite. 

Dont think anyone thinks he is a poor manager, but he is very old school and sets his sides up the way he payed basically. Its not easy on the eye, and in the Premiership there are better, bigger, stronger, fitter opponents who can take it in their stride.

I watched the highlights of Livingston at Partick on Sunday night and Thommo said he played to a style that suited the squad he had, added players in January (Lee Miller being the obvious one), to compliment that style and it worked.

Who knows if he is a one trick pony or not time will tell.

Interesting to see the Livingston chairman saying he expects Hopkins future to be sorted next week but if he leaves he would be very surprised if it's to a Scottish club.

If the club are interested in Hopkin then there are areas that need clarified.  Namely what about his Morton shares, is he prepared to sell those?  What about his assistant?  Will he want to bring him with him, a shady character by all accounts.  Oh, and he better not want to sign Alan ‘Flash’ Lithgow.

8 minutes ago, scottd said:

If the club are interested in Hopkin then there are areas that need clarified.  Namely what about his Morton shares, is he prepared to sell those?  What about his assistant?  Will he want to bring him with him, a shady character by all accounts.  Oh, and he better not want to sign Alan ‘Flash’ Lithgow.

Can't see why his having shares in Morton,  a club in a different league,  would have any significance ScottD.  His assistant is a more difficult question for me.  Two sides to this I think.  One is that everybody deserves a second chance and to show that they have reformed.  The other is that his past would be a millstone for the club. 

41 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Can't see why his having shares in Morton,  a club in a different league,  would have any significance ScottD.  His assistant is a more difficult question for me.  Two sides to this I think.  One is that everybody deserves a second chance and to show that they have reformed.  The other is that his past would be a millstone for the club. 

Having one or two shares is fair enough but Hopkin is one of the top 5 shareholders at Morton.  If that is not a major conflict of interest then I don’t know what is.  Being in a different league, for now, has no bearing.  Gordon Scott wouldn’t be allowed to have shares in another club and I don’t think the team manager should have either.

36 minutes ago, scottd said:

Having one or two shares is fair enough but Hopkin is one of the top 5 shareholders at Morton.  If that is not a major conflict of interest then I don’t know what is.  Being in a different league, for now, has no bearing.  Gordon Scott wouldn’t be allowed to have shares in another club and I don’t think the team manager should have either.

Thats a toxic combination of backroom staff and Morton shares.... therfor i fully expect to see him announced as our new manager next weekend. 

SHhhhhhhhheeeeeeelllllllll It..!

38 minutes ago, scottd said:

You are right when it comes to Gordon Scott. The rules are pretty clear. Don't get me wrong,  if (and it could happen that Morton are promotes and join us in the Premiership. .see what I did there ) then that could be an issue.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

LPM Please tell me you are kidding me on that he is the front runner for the job. They were horrible to watch.  Quite happy to play for draws fcuk that 

58 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So the papers say, tomorrow it might be Caldwell, or McCoist, or Murty???

I'd take Hopkin over those three that's for sure. 

I do think he's getting a bit of a hard time, have to say. People saying anti-football, could also say effective football. Do I think Livi would be an SP club right now if they had went out to play with the ball on the deck? Absolutely not.

People forget (or don't know) he had Livi storming L1 last year, I seen a few of their games and the football was really good. Scoring goals, tight at the back and won at a canter. So for me it doesn't tell me he just plays anti-football. It tells me he's very adaptave and has the capability to read opponenets and set a team up in a way that will win or at least frustrate. Is that a desire I'd want in a manager? 100%

I would be happy with him coming in, far as I can tell he's one of only two applicants that has never been sacked from a manager job. 

Neilson in the papers as front runner today (expect it will be Lambert tomorrow, etc..etc) basically interviewing our board through his piece, checking if they will make a realistic budget to compete available, or just try to survive on the cheap!

it will tell us the support a lot who is eventually picked as new manager, guys like Neilson and Ross dont/didnt want to go up to the prem and struggle to exist, they want a board to back them with funds and ambition. Cant help thinking for all his warm words of thanks Ross realised with giving half our stadium over to the OF without even trying to sell the club to more people, the board have already battened down the hatches, and are going to try to do it on the cheap? 

If we end up with a Hopkin, or Duffy etc it means we are taking the cheap road, Neilson, Lambert, McIntyre etc would signify a decent budget. Goody? Probably somewhere in the middle?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Neilson in the papers as front runner today (expect it will be Lambert tomorrow, etc..etc) basically interviewing our board through his piece, checking if they will make a realistic budget to compete available, or just try to survive on the cheap!

it will tell us the support a lot who is eventually picked as new manager, guys like Neilson and Ross dont/didnt want to go up to the prem and struggle to exist, they want a board to back them with funds and ambition. Cant help thinking for all his warm words of thanks Ross realised with giving half our stadium over to the OF without even trying to sell the club to more people, the board have already battened down the hatches, and are going to try to do it on the cheap? 

If we end up with a Hopkin, or Duffy etc it means we are taking the cheap road, Neilson, Lambert, McIntyre etc would signify a decent budget. Goody? Probably somewhere in the middle?

Not a bad analysis LPM. I think the board are doing a good job on most things but are not beyond criticism.  I would like to have seen earlier marketing of season tickets to build on the feelgood factor. We are where we are however and pricing seems to be good and take up ahead of last season 

JR however was receiving interest from a club which operate with much higher budgets, attract 5 times our average crowd at their lowest in the season past and up to 7 times at their highest with a capacity 11 times higher than our average support. Can't blame him for wanting a taste of that.

In true St Mirren fashion the potential candidates are ruling themselves out/eyeing other opportunities before interviews have even begun!

Neilson appears to be ruling himself out indicating in his exploratory chat the budget suggested was too low to be competitive in the prem.

Hopkin wants and is wanted down south, probabl Shrewsbury's next manager.

Lambert really wants another gig in England, but has spoke to Tony.

and Duffy.. yes feckin Duffy has raised the question of what the budget is, again perhaps ru

ing himself out.

McIntyre and Dodds arent being touted much, so maybe too costly a double act for our board?

that probably means we will end up with the last man standing big Goody? Having taken Alloa to two successive play offs, and got them promoted he is streets ahead in achievement and experience than Ross was when he came in. People saying its too eatly for him are having a giraffe! Ross got the job on the back of being relegated, and it seems to have worked for him!

edit: all the above is completely un - ITK 

Edited by Lord Pityme

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

In true St Mirren fashion the potential candidates are ruling themselves out/eyeing other opportunities before interviews have even begun!

Neilson appears to be ruling himself out indicating in his exploratory chat the budget suggested was too low to be competitive in the prem.

Hopkin wants and is wanted down south, probabl Shrewsbury's next manager.

Lambert really wants another gig in England, but has spoke to Tony.

and Duffy.. yes feckin Duffy has raised the question of what the budget is, again perhaps ru

ing himself out.

McIntyre and Dodds arent being touted much, so maybe too costly a double act for our board?

that probably means we will end up with the last man standing big Goody? Having taken Alloa to two successive play offs, and got them promoted he is streets ahead in achievement and experience than Ross was when he came in. People saying its too eatly for him are having a giraffe! Ross got the job on the back of being relegated, and it seems to have worked for him!

Hopefully Neilson is ruling himself out.  We don’t need another excuse maker in the Rae mould.  McIntyre is still my choice but would not be unhappy if Goody got the gig, in fact I would be very happy.

4 minutes ago, scottd said:

Hopefully Neilson is ruling himself out.  We don’t need another excuse maker in the Rae mould.  McIntyre is still my choice but would not be unhappy if Goody got the gig, in fact I would be very happy.

I would like big JG too, a leader, fighter and someone who would command respect in the dressing room etc... it is beginning to look all a bit confusing, the club seem to be over complicating their task by talking to so many potential candidates. Get a short list of three who would take it, and pick one!

32 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would like big JG too, a leader, fighter and someone who would command respect in the dressing room etc... it is beginning to look all a bit confusing, the club seem to be over complicating their task by talking to so many potential candidates. Get a short list of three who would take it, and pick one!

Simple enough really.  Run the flag up the pole and see who salutes.