The Sin Bin Holiday Thread

faraway saint

Over the years holidays have changed dramatically.

In my apprenticeship years it was predominantly the "fair" holidays that were taken, with companies pretty much closing down for the Greenock, Glasgow and Paisley fair.

Eventually companies decided closing down for a 2, or in Babcocks case 3,  weeks, wasn't viable and "floating" holidays, as we called them, became the norm.

Destinations have also become more exotic, Torquay was my first "solo" destination, mainland Spain, Pineda, was my first "solo" holiday abroad.

Difficult to say my favourite destination, many have been memorable for different reasons.

In the debate for best holiday was Bahrain, mainly for the quality of service, where the staff came across a genuine and couldn't do enough to make the holiday special.

(Can FRicky stay out of this, he'll turn it into a snoozefest before you can say "season tickets")

5 hours ago, chalky1 said:

Me and the Mrs are just back from Ibiza, done a few boat trips to Ibiza Town etc, totally different experience from my last time there (18-30 Holiday). Hotel staff, ex -pats etc all very friendly, even the locals.

I was in Ibiza last year and it was a fantastic holiday.

We’ve not been to too many places overall.

Ibiza , Tenerife x2,Majorca x2 , Disneyland Paris x1 soon to be twice.

Our favourite holiday is actually in a hot tub lodge in Cumbria - Artlegarth Lodges ( not a holiday park ) was only 3 self catering lodges but they added 3 larger ones last year.We go there usually 2 or 3 times a year.Weather never an issue as we do nothing [emoji4]

Nip up to Kendal, get the grub & liquid refreshment in & we do the square root of f**k all for 7 days

That said, the family fancy a wee hot tub lodge in Scotland next so any suggestions are welcome.

I loved the Paisley fair as a kid with the shows or circus up at the racecourse,happy days.

My Dad & uncle used to work in Babcocks so used to be off work during this time too.

Who needs foreign holidays [emoji14]

1 minute ago, whydowebother said:

We’ve not been to too many places overall.

Ibiza , Tenerife x2,Majorca x2 , Disneyland Paris x1 soon to be twice.

Our favourite holiday is actually in a hot tub lodge in Cumbria - Artlegarth Lodges ( not a holiday park ) was only 3 self catering lodges but they added 3 larger ones last year.We go there usually 2 or 3 times a year.Weather never an issue as we do nothing emoji4.png

Nip up to Kendal, get the grub & liquid refreshment in & we do the square root of f**k all for 7 days

That said, the family fancy a wee hot tub lodge in Scotland next so any suggestions are welcome.

I loved the Paisley fair as a kid with the shows or circus up at the racecourse,happy days.

My Dad & uncle used to work in Babcocks so used to be off work during this time too.

Who needs foreign holidays emoji14.png

You could have stretched it out a bit, that's enough for about 6 posts.

Reported. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

We are going to Plymouth for a mate's birthday next month. Seeing as we have to cross the border into Devon I'm counting that as a holiday.

If that counts I would have been having a holiday everyday when I lived in Buxton and travelled to Leek.

Sorry, disnae count. :P

Been to Cuba 5 times from around 2003 to 2007.

Standard of hotel was reasonable, facilities reasonable, all inclusive was 24/7, could get something to eat (snacks at worst) and drinks at anytime of the day. :cheers

The people were very welcoming, and after the first few visits we looked into the history and visited some smaller villages where we eat with the locals and took gifts for the children, who had little in the way of what we see as basics.

The long haul did become a bit of a chore after a while, having to go via London at the time.

On 12/05/2018 at 6:30 PM, faraway saint said:

Wonder when the forum is empty except for FRicky Div will see the light? 

:lol:

The Forum is busier than ever Faraway and people saying that they are glad "the moaners" whoever they might be are in the sin bin.

Others are reporting that they have come back after a gap as it has improved.

Good threads in the sin bin bye the way.... Keep it up. 

As a kid we'd get the Babcock bus to either Blackpool (although we'd stay in St Annes) or to Scarborough. I've got lots of memories of both places. My girlfriend and I went to Scarborough a couple of weeks ago for a short break and its not changed much. Although the "grand" hotel is more like Gods Waiting Room these days. 

Best holiday was to O'Ahu, Hawai'i to the Disney Resort in Ko olina. We had a couple of days break in San Francisco going out there as well. O'Ahu is as incredible as people make out. My favourite spot was in the north called Hale'iwa and more specifically Sharks Cove. It was s stunningly beautiful place to just watch the turtles eating the seaweed off the rocks we were standing on. The views from Diamond Head mountain were spectacular too and Pearl Harbour is an incredible place to visit. The Kualoa Ranch is well worth a visit too. It's one huge movie set and getting around it on an ATV was great fun. Skip the Dole Plantation though. It might be good when there's loads of pineapple trees growing, but there's a three year crop cycle and we went in the year where they had burned everything worth seeing to the ground. Our tour was of red soil and a gift shop. 

Other than that I'm a bit of a creature of habit. I just alternate Florida one year, with the South of France the next. This year we're breaking the cycle to go to Lanzarote with friends - I've no idea what it'll be like or even whats there, but hopefully it'll be ok. 

Edited by StuD

As a kid we'd get the Babcock bus to either Blackpool (although we'd stay in St Annes) or to Scarborough. I've got lots of memories of both places. My girlfriend and I went to Scarborough a couple of weeks ago for a short break and its not changed much. Although the "grand" hotel is more like Gods Waiting Room these days. 
Best holiday was to O'Ahu, Hawai'i to the Disney Resort in Ko olina. We had a couple of days break in San Francisco going out there as well. O'Ahu is as incredible as people make out. My favourite spot was in the north called Hale'iwa and more specifically Sharks Cove. It was s stunningly beautiful place to just watch the turtles eating the seaweed off the rocks we were standing on. The views from Diamond Head mountain were spectacular too and Pearl Harbour is an incredible place to visit. The Kualoa Ranch is well worth a visit too. It's one huge movie set and getting around it on an ATV was great fun. Skip the Dole Plantation though. It might be good when there's loads of pineapple trees growing, but there's a three year crop cycle and we went in the year where they had burned everything worth seeing to the ground. Our tour was of red soil and a gift shop. 
Other than that I'm a bit of a creature of habit. I just alternate Florida one year, with the South of France the next. This year we're breaking the cycle to go to Lanzarote with friends - I've no idea what it'll be like or even whats there, but hopefully it'll be ok. 

It depends completely on the resort you choose
Piuerto del Carmen is ok but has some less pleasant spots

It will be warm and windy

Please tell me you are not going next month

Please!

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

The Forum is busier than ever Faraway and people saying that they are glad "the moaners" whoever they might be are in the sin bin.

Others are reporting that they have come back after a gap as it has improved.

Good threads in the sin bin bye the way.... Keep it up. 

Proof?

People ARE saying you are a tedious bore?

Now, that's a fact.

Back on topic...................

Going to Tenerife in a few weeks.

I've been to Tenerife quite a few times, mixture of private apartments & hotels.

Main reason is the weather, especially in the winter months, although the prices have increased substantially in the last year or two which has made me think about alternatives.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Proof?

People ARE saying you are a tedious bore?

Now, that's a fact.

Back on topic...................

Going to Tenerife in a few weeks.

I've been to Tenerife quite a few times, mixture of private apartments & hotels.

Main reason is the weather, especially in the winter months, although the prices have increased substantially in the last year or two which has made me think about alternatives.

Proof is simple to find if you look at the numbers. 

The way to stay on topic faraway is simply to stop mentioning me... it's that simple. 

Keep posting new threads. 

Looks  like you have found your niche. 

And I mean that in a good way. 

Holidays... I travelled internationally over the past 20 years so being at home meant a break from travelling and we'll.... A holiday. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Best holiday was probably Guatamala. I'm not sure I would recommend it, because it is the murder capital of the world. 

Highlights include travelling by boat down  the Rio Dolce. Swiming in Volcanic hot springs, Aztec ruins (probably not Aztec), the old capital Antigua, and just the general madness and friendliness of the people. 

You'd like it faraway:P

1 minute ago, insaintee said:

Best holiday was probably Guatamala. I'm not sure I would recommend it, because it is the murder capital of the world. 

Highlights include travelling by boat down  the Rio Dolce. Swiming in Volcanic hot springs, Aztec ruins (probably not Aztec), the old capital Antigua, and just the general madness and friendliness of the people. 

You'd like it faraway:P

I'd buy a ticket, one way, for someone, sorry two people, snakes would do well in that climate..........................:rolleyes: