Livingston v Thistle Premiership Final

St.Ricky

I thought Paul McGinn was Partick's best player today.

He is out of contract with Partick and would be a good signing for us - if we have a manager to do the deal.

More speculation today that Ross is now the front runner for the Sunderland job - where/when will it all end?

Edited by northstbuddie

13 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I thought Paul McGinn was Partick's best player today.

He is out of contract with Patrick and would be a good signing for us - if we have a manager to do the deal.

More speculation today that Ross is now the front runner for the Sunderland job - where/when will it all end?

Surely , after what he has achieved , Hopkin is in with a shout for some of these jobs that are coming up in Englandshire ? It would save him from trying to barge his way to safety in the Premier. .

Guest TPAFKATS

Well done Livi. Deserved to beat Thistle and United before that.
Hope they do a Brechin next season as they are a f**king awful team to watch.

Guest TPAFKATS
It used to be 1 up 1 down nothing else so I find that a strange comment.
There is bias that it favours 2nd place over 3rd and 4th. And that's how it should be, leagues of ten teams should not be offering promotion to sides who finish 3rd and 4th.
Yeah Livi finished 2nd after playing 36 games and then had 2 game play off against united which concluded within a day or two of Partick finishing their 38 game league campaign.
I agree down to 4th of 10 is too many.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeah Livi finished 2nd after playing 36 games and then had 2 game play off against united which concluded within a day or two of Partick finishing their 38 game league campaign.
I agree down to 4th of 10 is too many.

Indeed. There seemed to be a massive misconception that 11th would have played less games and be more fresh even though they were still finishing their league campaign. People pointing out the others had to make their way through 4 or 6 games to go up. Partick were trying to avoid automatic relegation at that point after all.

If I could personally decide on the promotion and relegation situation I'd be deciding between 2 up 2 down and 1up/down with a playoff for 9th above v 2nd below (obviously replacing 9th for 11th for SPL). 4th in ten team leagues is absolutely ridiculous and in some cases even 3rd. As delighted as I am Alloa have gained promotion it's an insult to Raith who were much better over 36 games but didn't handle a couple of all-or-nothing games. Likewise Stenny being promoted ahead of Peterhead is ridiculous when there was 21pts between them.

19 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Indeed. There seemed to be a massive misconception that 11th would have played less games and be more fresh even though they were still finishing their league campaign. People pointing out the others had to make their way through 4 or 6 games to go up. Partick were trying to avoid automatic relegation at that point after all.

If I could personally decide on the promotion and relegation situation I'd be deciding between 2 up 2 down and 1up/down with a playoff for 9th above v 2nd below (obviously replacing 9th for 11th for SPL). 4th in ten team leagues is absolutely ridiculous and in some cases even 3rd. As delighted as I am Alloa have gained promotion it's an insult to Raith who were much better over 36 games but didn't handle a couple of all-or-nothing games. Likewise Stenny being promoted ahead of Peterhead is ridiculous when there was 21pts between them.

Let's not forget that Alloa were above Brechin last season and then lost out in the play-offs . I suppose it balances out in the end but the whole play-off thing , in my opinion , is a bit daft. .

Guest TPAFKATS
Did the premier team not get a week or so extra rest when the play offs first started? Or is it just my memory failing me again?

Guest TPAFKATS
They were still playing the last of their 38 games.  2nd leg of Livi v Utd was the evening of Friday 11th, Thistle played on Saturday 12th.

The play-off dates were 1st, 4th (for QF), 7th and 11th (for SF) May.  Thistle played 28th April, 4th, 8th, 12th May.

Edit: Or, when you say "first started" are you talking about 4 seasons ago?
Aye, I meant back when play offs were introduced as I'd already agreed in a previous post that Livi and thistle played equal games and at roughly same time.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, djchapsticks said:

I'll stick my neck out and say Livingston's promotion trump our achievements this season.

Quite astonishing really given that almost everyone had them in a scrap with Dumbarton for 9th before a ball was kicked.

I don't agree. We came from almost relegation to winning the league. Promotion without playoffs. We were within a few points of taking their place in the lower league. What Livi did was remarkable but, in the same way as some said we won a weak league you could argue that whoever came up as division 1 champions had a good chance of a top 4 finish.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I don't agree. We came from almost relegation to winning the league. Promotion without playoffs. We were within a few points of taking their place in the lower league. What Livi did was remarkable but, in the same way as some said we won a weak league you could argue that whoever came up as division 1 champions had a good chance of a top 4 finish.

Truth be told,  I think what both did was pretty amazing.