Alloa

Brilliant. Just watched it. So chuffed for the St Mirren legend that is Jim Goodwin.

Also 2 St Mirren loanees getting the goals to send them up. Ross Stewart for me has some raw ability. Kirkpatrick had a really quiet game up until his fantastic goal to win it.

It also an added bonus that they sent down Dumbarton who have a Morton legend in charge and some of our rejects who are some of the worst players ever to represent our club.

Get it right round ye Dumbarton [emoji23]

Chuffed for Goodie. Could be a nutter on the pitch, but had many more good games than bad for us. Always be a cup winning captain legend and a real gent off the park. Well done bigman and enjoy your night!!!

He even got booked even though he never played a minute. Goody is such a legend.

Ross Stewart and Jordan Kirkpatrick have been vital to Alloa's success. Well done to those two and it's fantastic to see Goody get them promoted as well, big well done to that man to continue Jack's work and take them up at the second attempt. Enjoy the celebrations!

1 hour ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Brilliant. Just watched it. So chuffed for the St Mirren legend that is Jim Goodwin.

Also 2 St Mirren loanees getting the goals to send them up. Ross Stewart for me has some raw ability. Kirkpatrick had a really quiet game up until his fantastic goal to win it.

It also an added bonus that they sent down Dumbarton who have a Morton legend in charge and some of our rejects who are some of the worst players ever to represent our club.

Get it right round ye Dumbarton emoji23.png

Indeed , Mr Jim Goodwin was a great ambassador to the Club when he took the Cup around the schools and anytime you met him he was simply a gentleman . Hope he does well in the Championship. .

If l never have to go back to the midge infested Dumbarton stadium again , it will be too soon. .

I watched about 70% of both of these play-off ties on BBC Alba.

No great desire to piss on anyone's chips here on B&WA but we, as St Mirren supporters, have nothing to feel cheerful about on that evidence.

The standard of football played by both sides was truly awful. Alloa's two St Mirren loanees will never reach the standard of player we will require in the premiership next season.

Kirkpatrick certainly has some skill but the best he will ever achieve would be bog-standard at Scottish championship level.

Ross Stewart is clumsy and hopeless. His goal today was a sclaff that ricocheted off a Dumbarton player and trundled past Gallagher.

If (as expected) we lose JR to Ipswich I would hope our BoD look further afield than Jim Goodwin for a replacement.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

No great desire to piss on anyone's chips here on B&WA but we, as St Mirren supporters, have nothing to feel cheerful about on that evidence.

The standard of football played by both sides was truly awful. Alloa's two St Mirren loanees will never reach the standard of player we will require in the premiership next season.

Kirkpatrick certainly has some skill but the best he will ever achieve would be bog-standard at Scottish championship level.

Ross Stewart is clumsy and hopeless. His goal today was a sclaff that ricocheted off a Dumbarton player and trundled past Gallagher.

If (as expected) we lose JR to Ipswich I would hope our BoD look further afield than Jim Goodwin for a replacement.

eeyore.jpg

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I'm not saying Jim is the man (neither am I saying he isn't), but it's all relative. The standard of player that Alloa can afford, and therefore Jim has at his disposal, is no reflection on his ability. How he gets those players to play, what he manages to achieve with them and the tactics he employs are far more important than what players they can afford.

Jim managed to get better quality players on loan due to his relationship with Jack. If Jack leaves and Jim is his replacement then that relationship will still be in place and could benefit us by getting better quality than we could afford to buy, by getting loans from Ipswich.

Just to be clear, I haven't seen Alloa play, so I have no idea what Jim's tactics etc are and, hence, the opening of this post.

Anyway, back on topic, congratulations to the Buddies legend that is Jim Goodwin.

When I have seen them they played on the front foot, pressed high up the pitch but mixed that up with the long ball. 

Jim Duffy commented on Dumbarton that they were playing too far back and likely to lose a goal. 

He was right,  but Alløa pressed them.  Today's game wasn't pretty though. 

I think Goodwin will have Stewart and Kirkpatrick back next season and I think that is right for them too... The jury is out on Kirkpatrick, though he gets goals... Stewart however, is still maturing... playing regularly in the Championship will be a real development opportunity...

On 13/05/2018 at 9:37 PM, Wilbur said:

Dumbarton made St Mirren look pretty average a few times this season as well. I think it's just the anti-football they play. 

I wasn't impressed with Alloa either but they got their result in the end. I'd agree with your assessment on Kirkpatrick and Stewart though. Stewart is dreadful. There was one point late in the second half where all he had to do was play a short four yard pass on the deck to a team mate. He actually hit him on the shoulder with it. Definitely one of Jack Ross's poorer signings.