Fowler Staying too

7 minutes ago, smcc said:

I have to declare an interest.

I did live through the days of the Macmillan government, unlike you.  My parents were certainly not well off but i was still able to go to university and graduate with a first class honours  physiology degree and MB; ChB with commendation, courtesy of government grants, and my "social mobility" increased. Someone in my position today would have little chance of so doing. I had no problem avoiding the influence of religion and was perfectly able to communicate with those that I needed to. I can't comment on the benefits system at that time as my family did no use it but, if you think that the benefits system run by today's UK government is anything but "terrible"  you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Did I suggest that you cared what the government thinks about you?

No but then I doidn't ask you to recite your list of commendations or your degree classification either so we are even I think.

In what way would someone in your position not be able to exercise social mobility today? Did someone post guards at Gretna without telling us all? Have physiology degrees been banned? Are people with your upbringing shackled amd sent up chimneys and down pits?

Not only are poorer students still given free grants to go to uni, they are also able to take advantage of very generous student loans they dont necessarily have to ever pay back. These loans even allow students to avoid having to take on part time jobs.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

No but then I doidn't ask you to recite your list of commendations or your degree classification either so we are even I think.

In what way would someone in your position not be able to exercise social mobility today? Did someone post guards at Gretna without telling us all?

Not only are poorer students given grants to go to uni, they are also able to take advantage of very generous student loans they dont necessarily have to ever pay back. These loans even allow students to avoid having to take on part time jobs.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I simply mentioned my degrees to illustrate that it was possible for someone with few resources to go to university back then, and when did anyone have to go south of Gretna to be considered socially mobile?

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I simply mentioned my degrees to illustrate that it was possible for someone with few resources to go to university back then, and when did anyone have to go south of Gretna to be considered socially mobile?

What the hell are you wittering on about? :lol:

Nearly half of all young people go to uni now.

I also explained that non repayable grants and generous loans are now available. There has never been a time where more help was being thrown at young people from poor areas. Why are you blatantly lying about this?

Exactly who is being prevented from going to uni?

Edited by oaksoft

I also explained that non repayable grants and generous loans are now available. There has never been a time where more help was being thrown at young people from poor areas. Why are you blatantly lying about this?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Where did i say that anyone is prevented from going to  uni? Quote me the post where i said this.

Do you think that university is the appropriate route for half of young people? Are you aware of the high drop out rate from universities?

I presume that you are aware that university fees were paid and grants were paid in Macmillan's time; and you still have not explained why you brought border guards at Gretna into a discussion on social mobility. In your eyes does social mobility necessitate moving to England? It certainly is a mobility of sorts. :lol: